ForumsQuestionsDISCUSS ALTERNATIVES TO TOODLEDO

DISCUSS ALTERNATIVES TO TOODLEDO
bandit

Posted: Mar 03, 2021
Score: 0 Reference
Posted by svsmailus_2:
Agreed, couldn't sign to this slack account. Slack is a poor choice for a forum, it's focus is team projects.

User mlb32704 recently created a group on Quora to discuss alternatives to Toodledo. There’s even a separate forum topic about this, and how to access it. I don’t believe it has had any/much activity yet.

In the meantime, if anyone looks up posts by user DrFrankBuck, you’ll see that he raves about, and swears by, Remember the Milk, and gives lots of good information and feedback on the app. His posts were so compelling that I’m going to give RTM a whirl.

As much as I don’t want to leave Toodledo, I just think doing so is a prudent move at this point. Of course I don’t understand the technology behind this, so I don’t know how long something like this can run OK if no one is in charge of it, but how would any of us feel if one day Toodledo just stopped working, or our data got all messed up, or we couldn’t access it at all. To me that’s a really scary thought, and without access to the info I have in Toodledo, and how much I rely on it, I don’t know how I could get through a day without it! (Okay, I’m being a bit dramatic, but I really don’t ever want to be in this situation!)
Ummagumma

There's a cost associated with running the servers. So even if they are on autopilot with nobody taking care of customer support issues, it's not free.

I suspect they are waiting for the paid subscriptions to expire, to avoid legal issues. If there's a lease renewal coming up, they may end it there and then and perhaps issue refunds to the remaining prepaid users (being optimistic here).

In other words, the service may end at any time.

Posted by bandit:

In the meantime, if anyone looks up posts by user DrFrankBuck, you’ll see that he raves about, and swears by, Remember the Milk, and gives lots of good information and feedback on the app. His posts were so compelling that I’m going to give RTM a whirl.

Yes, RTM is probably the closest alternative I can think of, out of all that I tried.

This message was edited Mar 03, 2021.
SimonSmailus

I've moved to GoodTask as I'm in an all mac environment. Does everythink Toodledo did for me. Didn't use the notes, outlines or habits much. GoodTask does have one important feature many seem to be lacking these days, which is Start Dates.

In many ways I would have thought TD pedigree would at least make the name sellable. It would be interesting to know who actually owns the company. All the servers, configurations, payments systems etc, will need some maintenance, so a crunch point does have to come.
Ummagumma

Posted by svsmailus_2:
I've moved to GoodTask as I'm in an all mac environment. Does everythink Toodledo did for me. Didn't use the notes, outlines or habits much. GoodTask does have one important feature many seem to be lacking these days, which is Start Dates.

In many ways I would have thought TD pedigree would at least make the name sellable. It would be interesting to know who actually owns the company. All the servers, configurations, payments systems etc, will need some maintenance, so a crunch point does have to come.

I am using GoodTask as well, syncing with MS Exchange via Reminders for work tasks. I can replicate most of its functionality in Outlook using custom views and conditional formatting, about the only thing that I can't sync is attachments but there are ways around that if I really need to access attachment on my phone (e.g. Onenote or Onedrive links). However, my primary use in on work laptop & Outlook. For personal tasks, I just use my iOS devices with my main list in Reminders, I was rarely if ever accessing my personal tasks from my Windows laptop.

I stopped using Start date many months ago. Instead, I use Due date as start date, and add the hard deadline to the front of subject line for the tasks that have it. Most tasks don't have a hard deadline, and setting a date using a Due date field is much faster and easier (especially with Siri).
bandit

Posted by Ummagumma:
There's a cost associated with running the servers. So even if they are on autopilot with nobody taking care of customer support issues, it's not free.

I suspect they are waiting for the paid subscriptions to expire, to avoid legal issues. If there's a lease renewal coming up, they may end it there and then and perhaps issue refunds to the remaining prepaid users (being optimistic here).

In other words, the service may end at any time.

Ummagumma, thank you for this bit of education.

Posted by bandit:

Posted by Ummagumma:
Yes, RTM is probably the closest alternative I can think of, out of all that I tried.

I've taken a look at RTM's website, and it's very impressive. The app is rife with all sorts of features, and everything is documented (the way Toodledo is). It appears to include all the features that I am adamant about keeping, and quite a few more that sound very useful to have. Of course, to get all of the features I require (e.g.: emails can be sent to the app, custom sort options, very flexible recurring options, start and end dates, to name a few), I'll need to pay the annual subscription fee (I've been using Toodledo for free for all these years), but it seems worth it, especially if the owners/developers are active, upgrade regularly, and are responsive to users (they seem to meet all of these criteria). My way of looking at it: Paying the $39.99/yr isn't going to make me have to give up something else (e.g.: food, electricity, etc), and I'll be getting what I want. My mind is made up: I'm taking the plunge and moving to RTM. I just have to schedule the correct time to do this, as I know I'm going to need time to do the import from Toodledo and then play around with RTM to get it set up how I want it, and figure out how to use it correctly.
SimonSmailus

I stopped using Start date many months ago. Instead, I use Due date as start date, and add the hard deadline to the front of subject line for the tasks that have it. Most tasks don't have a hard deadline, and setting a date using a Due date field is much faster and easier (especially with Siri).

I'm very partial to start dates. I like due dates to be deadlines and start dates means a task shows up when I need to start working on it.

I settled on GoodTask as I already had the iOS app and £39 for the desktop all for a one-off seemed reasonable in a sea of subscriptions. Plus I really like that GoodTask integrating with Reminders means I also see tasks when viewing calendars, which is a real bonus, without any extra work.
Ummagumma

Posted by svsmailus_2:

I'm very partial to start dates. I like due dates to be deadlines and start dates means a task shows up when I need to start working on it.

I settled on GoodTask as I already had the iOS app and £39 for the desktop all for a one-off seemed reasonable in a sea of subscriptions. Plus I really like that GoodTask integrating with Reminders means I also see tasks when viewing calendars, which is a real bonus, without any extra work.

The same functionality as bolded above can easily be achieved using Due date.

There's three main reasons that I went with using Due as Start:

1) It works in any task management system, even the most basic one.
2) It's easy and quick - requires less time and effort for entry, or re-scheduling, and works great with Siri (I don't even think that a start date can be added with Siri)
3) It makes the deadline a permanent text record that can't be accidentally changed.

So a typical task with deadline will look like this:

2021.03.05 Task ABC due 3/3/21

I can sort on Subject and get the list of tasks by due date, or sort on Due date & get the order of execution.
bandit

Posted: Mar 04, 2021
Posted by Ummagumma:

There's three main reasons that I went with using Due as Start:

1) It works in any task management system, even the most basic one.
2) It's easy and quick - requires less time and effort for entry, or re-scheduling, and works great with Siri (I don't even think that a start date can be added with Siri)
3) It makes the deadline a permanent text record that can't be accidentally changed.

So a typical task with deadline will look like this:

2021.03.05 Task ABC due 3/3/21

I can sort on Subject and get the list of tasks by due date, or sort on Due date & get the order of execution.

Great tip!
Barrett_2

Posted: Mar 06, 2021
Maybe we're coming about this wrong. Rather than pushing for Anant G to actually support this, maybe the thing to do is start advocating for investors to buy it. A product with a solid subscriber base is a good investment and the fact that the subscriber base is dwindling may make the price appealing to venture capitalists.

I don't have a huge follower base, but I tweeted out the idea: https://twitter.com/ba66e77/status/1368211355464069120. Would love to see others take up the call. Maybe we can find someone who will keep this alive for us.
oletros

Posted by Barrett_2:
Maybe we're coming about this wrong. Rather than pushing for Anant G to actually support this, maybe the thing to do is start advocating for investors to buy it. A product with a solid subscriber base is a good investment and the fact that the subscriber base is dwindling may make the price appealing to venture capitalists.

I don't have a huge follower base, but I tweeted out the idea: https://twitter.com/ba66e77/status/1368211355464069120. Would love to see others take up the call. Maybe we can find someone who will keep this alive for us.

Who would want to buy an obsolete platform without modern mobile apps?
signup1917

Posted by oletros:
Posted by Barrett_2:

Who would want to buy an obsolete platform without modern mobile apps?

My understanding is the code is poorly written which made it difficult to upgrade. The owners probably saw the cost of upgrading as too much and tried to get as much of their investment back by offering life-time subscriptions. I would hope that they are trying to find a buyer. At this point selling it at fire sale prices makes more sense then letting it die and getting nothing.
bandit

Posted by Barrett_2:

There’s another post in this forum titled “How do we find someone to save Toodledo?” I also think this is a great idea and would love to see Toodledo saved, and thought LinkedIn might be a good way to get the “plea” out (I happen to have quite a number of connections in all areas of IT, including development). However, I have no clue about the technical aspects needed to keep it going, and others who understand that aspect are of the opinion that saving it is not feasible at this point.
SFSailLady

Posted: Mar 12, 2021
Posted by mlb32704:
I've actually posted on this topic several times, but a few of these I had not heard of, so I gave them a try.

Based upon my own personal observations, trials, and analyses, there really isn't a solid alternative to Toodledo. I wish that Pink Java Media LLC who acquired Toodledo would put some time effort and money into it, but evidently that isn't going to happen. I can manage with all of the outstanding issues and zero support, so long as they keep the lights on, I'm good for now. These forums help.

As for the alternatives listed in this post, here are my high level takes on each of them. Please keep in mind that I am a basic user, but I do use the triple criteria sorting feature of Toodledo as well as advanced repeating tasks, tags, etc. so, not too basic :) -

- Task Angel - by FAR the best alternative out there, it is the closest thing to Toodledo, very simple yet robust, has everything that I need. The challenge is that Task Angel right now is fully dependent upon Toodledo servers and data. Per multiple conversations with their management, they will supposedly have an application across all platforms ready to go, if and when Toodledo pulls the plug.
- Tick Tick - a close second, but they don't offer sorting on multiple criteria, that was a showstopper for me.
- Google Tasks - I wanted this one to work based on everything else that I use from Google, but it is way too underpowered for even a basic to do list.
- ToDoist - nice look and feel, great until you start kicking the tires and want to add labels, reminders, etc. which requires a Pro account ($). And I could not figure out how to do recurring tasks although it says that you can. I like my to do lists robust AND free :)
- Remember the Milk - this was my frontrunner for a while, I spent a lot of time playing with it and trying to make it look and act like Toodledo. It's decent but the look and feel is off and it's actually a little complicated for a basic app. I know that there was something else about it that I didn't like, either RTM or TickTick added an extra line for every extra data point that you included with a task (i.e a note). A complete waste of space that crowded up the screen and required more scrolling through tasks than necessary. Can't remember which one, sorry.
- Any.do - crazy layout, way too complicated and seems to be missing a lot of what Toodledo does right now.
- 2Do - one of the few iOS apps with a corresponding Watch app, I had some fun with this one for a while but they have no Web solution.
- Microsoft ToDo - see Google Tasks :) Same thing, would LOVE to use this if it were more robust, but it's not.
- Amazing Marvin - just gave it a shot, good luck with that :) Looks like a very nice app with tons of functionality but could it be any more complicated? I'm sure that if I play around with it for a year or two I might get it close to Toodledo, no thanks.
- GoodTask, Notion and Nirvana - downloaded each of them, signed up, played around for a few minutes, deleted them all.
- ClickUp - now this one piqued my interest. Definitely has the functionality, but tasks and notes are overshadowed and misplaced in what is essentially a full blown project management app. I don't need to assign owners, check dashboards, setup spaces and whiteboards to flesh out new ideas...I just need to pick up some milk every other Tuesday and I want to use a tag to move it up to the top of the list. That's it. So this one might be worth checking out for power users, not for me.
- Excel - I wish that I was better at it, because I know that I could jury rig a spreadsheet to do some or all of what I do in Toodledo. And I back up to CSV every week, so the data is ready to roll. Eventually I might play around more with this. If anyone has any insights or examples that they can share or tips for setting up and maintaining, I'm all ears.
- Paper - lol, yeah good luck with that.

Laugh if you will but I do miss Palm and the Palm Desktop from time to time, simple to do list, calendar and contacts. When I was shopping for my first iPhone, and Palm was on the way out the door, I did a quick search for the best possible match in terms of a to do list with notes functionality that would look and feel like Palm on an iPhone. That was Toodledo, and 10 years plus later, I'm still here and I still love it. Damn shame what's happened, really is, such a great app across the board and a loyal base of users, I wish that Pink Java Media would wake up and do something.

My bottom line - I'm holding out hope for ToodleDo, and/or hoping that TaskAngel is busy getting ready to go at it alone should ToodleDo pull the plug.

I am not laughing - ha ha - I also miss Palm from time to time. And when it was clear it was going away, I went to ToodleDo as well. It really has the features that allow me to work in the way my brain seems to like. I am hoping it doesn't ever go away. Fingers crossed.
guardprivy-1

Posted: Mar 14, 2021
I'm also holding out hope for a Toodledo renaissance. I've tried about a dozen others (including paying for them). Nothing compares to Toodledo.
oletros

Posted: Mar 14, 2021
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by dotparker:
I'm also holding out hope for a Toodledo renaissance. I've tried about a dozen others (including paying for them). Nothing compares to Toodledo.

Toodledo is dead, accept the fact and move on
CharleneTX

Posted: Mar 16, 2021
Do you have a paid subscription? Check your expiration date. Mine should be in August, but is now saying I have the free account. I've already moved my data to Todoist, but I was keeping Toodledo around until it expired hoping to see signs of life again.
nealchau

Posted: Mar 18, 2021
Hi Charlene - how did you export toodledo into todoist? Todoist's import requires a certain CSV file but i don't think Toodledo exports in that format?

i like todoist's UI the best, but tick-tick's non-premium free functionality seems to be the richest. im looking for app notifications, recurring tasks, exportablility, keyboard shortcuts, and easy import from toodledo. so far tick-tick's ios&android notifications worked out of the box on their free tier, whereas none of the others' notifications are currently working even on their premium tiers (im in the trial periods). also tick-tick appeared to have a kind of daily review alert which helps to get all your inbox to 0, also habits, and their notification snooze is nice, has e.g. later tonight, tomorrow etc.. otoh rtm and todoist seem to have good keyboard shortcuts. any suggestions for toodledo alternatives that might fit these use-cases would be appreciated!

(also my toodledo seem to be working fine - i've been using it for years and i've got lots of tasks in it, never really noticed any degradation.. that said, i did really like tick-tick's inbox 0 and some of the other features i've been seeing on the other platforms)

Thanks
-Neal

This message was edited Mar 18, 2021.
jsreedcpa

Posted: Mar 18, 2021
Score: -1 Reference
Posted by oletros:
Posted by dotparker:

So go away! Why are you still here?
mlb32704

Posted: Mar 19, 2021
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by jsreedcpa:
Posted by oletros:
Posted by dotparker:

So go away! Why are you still here?

Seriously...I could not agree more. With so much negativity around these days for obvious reasons, why come here to create some unnecessarily? I would hope that anyone who comes to these boards at this point is looking for alternatives but still has a vested interested in seeing Toodledo continue as is or get bought out and improved or whatever. But there's really no reason to come here and post comments like that. Why would you waste your time doing that? Just...go away :)
mlb32704

Posted: Jul 21, 2021
Score: 2 Reference
With the new ownership team in place, and forums back up and running, I would suggest tabling this discussion until Toodledo is given the chance to prove itself again. I am hopeful that we are looking at better things from Toodledo in the near future.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.