ForumsQuestionsBatch file to download TD files for backing up: How to?

Batch file to download TD files for backing up: How to?
snivelyjay

Posted: Jan 21, 2022
Score: 0 Reference
In the thread at:

https://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/26873/-122517/read.html#jump

The member explained how they created a batch file with 3 commands to download the Toodledo backup XML file and both of the export .CSV files:

My batch file for automating backups has the following 3 lines (and nothing else):
start "" www.toodledo.com/tools/backup.php
start "" www.toodledo.com/tools/csv.php
start "" www.toodledo.com/tools/csv.php?completed=1

I created a task in Windows Task Manager and the batch file runs. The result is that it opens those links in new browser tabs with their associated Opening [file] dialogs. But it does not download the files.

It seems I'm doing something wrong with the batch file but I cannot figure it out.

I would appreciate any help in how to make this batch file work. Thank you!
J---O---D

Posted: Jan 22, 2022
Score: 1 Reference
Hm, I have just now created a .bat file with these 3 lines and ran it via command prompt - it has downloaded all the files. I am on Windows 10. Maybe try running the file manually without creating a task first so you could narrow the problem (it's Windows afterall).
snivelyjay

Posted: Jan 22, 2022
Posted by J---O---D:

...(it's Windows after all)

LOL

Maybe try running the file manually without creating a task first so you could narrow the problem

I did that before and I tried it again. It does cause the "Opening" dialog for each file to appear ("What should Firefox do with this file?") but that's all.

To confirm what you wrote, when you ran it, it actually downloaded those files to somewhere on your computer?

When I created the batch file I had questioned whether I did everything that's necessary because the batch file doesn't include any instructions as to where to save the files to.

This message was edited Jan 22, 2022.
J---O---D

Posted: Jan 23, 2022
Score: 2 Reference
Maybe it's because of Firefox - my default browser is MS Edge. Try to find a setting in Firefox like Ask me what to do with each download - I have it disabled in Edge, so it always downloads the files without asking. I suspect your Firefox is set to always ask for download location.
LSF_2

Posted: Jan 23, 2022
I use Syncback to backup all my data and including Toodledo.

As part of Syncback and before the profile run, I have a batch file which points to the Toodledo backup page and that runs as and when Syncback does.

It’s not at all clean and it means that you need to leave Toodledo logged in in the server but it seems to work.

I really think having a backup procedure is crucial because, if like me, you have multiple sync devices, then you need regular hourly backups to run.
snivelyjay

Posted: Jan 31, 2022
I appreciate the suggestions and now I'm able to make the batch file work.

Is there a way to make Firefox download the Toodledo files to a specific folder that is different than the default folder?
jogo

Posted: Feb 06, 2022
Posted by snivelyjay:
I appreciate the suggestions and now I'm able to make the batch file work.

Is there a way to make Firefox download the Toodledo files to a specific folder that is different than the default folder?

Further down the same thread there is a post which suggests an additional batch file command to move the 3 files from the default download folder to another folder of your choice. [disclaimer: I haven't tried it]

https://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/26873/-122533/read.html#jump

This message was edited Feb 06, 2022.
strativourakis

Posted: Mar 04, 2022
Wow guys,
This is AWESOME!!!

Thank you so much!
Now all I have to do is click one little file (or easily figure out a way to automate it) and I can backup my entire ToodleDo account!!!!!

You guys are the best!!!

Below is what I modified a bit; the original script only had ~3 backup options / sources.

I'm a belts and suspenders and an extra belt and extra suspenders guy, and I figure; ToodleDo offers us all these different formats for backing up / exporting; why not useit?

You never know when a file will get corrupt, or you'll have a need for an alternate format......

Here's mine:
Obvi paste into notepad, save as *.bat and backup to your hearts' content!!! :-P

start "" www.toodledo.com/tools/backup.php
start "" www.toodledo.com/tools/csv.php
start "" www.toodledo.com/tools/csv.php?completed=1
start "" https://www.toodledo.com/tools/xml.php
start "" https://www.toodledo.com/tools/txt.php
start "" https://www.toodledo.com/tools/csv_notes.php
strativourakis

Posted: Apr 07, 2022
I just want to reiterate to everyone how amazing this is to have ONE little batch file on my desktop that I can click to instantly backup my ToodleDo account.

I haven't scheduled it as a task yet, but I will.....

This makes me rest SO easy!!!!
-JOD-

Posted: Apr 08, 2022
Great stuff indeed - and thanks, strativourakis, to share your final solution. I have just tried it and no problems found. Now I just zip the result and back it up on my Onedrive - and set up a recurring task to run a BAT:-)

This message was edited Apr 08, 2022.
LSF_2

Posted: Apr 16, 2022
Posted by -JOD-:
Great stuff indeed - and thanks, strativourakis, to share your final solution. I have just tried it and no problems found. Now I just zip the result and back it up on my Onedrive - and set up a recurring task to run a BAT:-)

This is similar to what I do. The problem, however, is that you need to be logged in all the time and where I have this set as an automated daily task on a server, if the webpage crashed, then the backup doesn’t run.
strativourakis

Posted: Apr 29, 2022
Posted by -JOD-:

Indeed!!
I'm geeked!!!!

For now, I'm content to just leave it as a .BAT file on my desktop and I click it when I'm feeling in a backing up mood....lol.....
Thanks!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.