ForumsTips & TricksWork Around for Sub-Folders?

Work Around for Sub-Folders?
Inner Prop

Posted: Oct 24, 2017
Score: 0 Reference
I'm looking for a hierarchal way to organize projects. I have the free subscription so I don't have sub-tasks. I'm not sure I want to go to the paid version to get this, especially if there is a good work-around.

I've tried putting sub-task-like text in the notes (e.g. Task: Library Subtasks: []Renew online []Return due books []Pick up books on hold). That doesn't let you see the "sub-task" in the list by itself. I also have trouble when I check off a "sub-task" but I can't check off the parent. This is especially troublesome is repeating tasks.

I have tried stacking folders (sort of) by making groups of folders. For instance, I have several personal folders and they all start with PERSONAL (e.g. PERSONAL - Grad School).

Currently, I'm trying this stacked folder work-around and I'm starting to try to use Outlines. If I have an outline for a task/project I put a "+" at the beginning of the task name (e.g. +Enroll in Grad School).

Any other suggestions?
pawelkaleta

Posted: Oct 24, 2017
Score: 1 Reference
You can try to use Goals as parent items for your Folders. It has some limitations but works pretty well if you don't have subscription.
Inner Prop

Posted: Oct 25, 2017
Posted by pawelkaleta:
You can try to use Goals as parent items for your Folders. It has some limitations but works pretty well if you don't have subscription.

I'm not really sure how that would work. Could you give an example, please?

Also, I'm using the goals for goals. I could remove the Short Term ones (they don't seem to be helping much) and just leave the Long Term and Lifetime ones. Of if your system works really well I could use the Long Term ones too (but only if your system requires and the system is very good), but I think I should keep the Lifetime level goals.
pawelkaleta

Posted: Oct 25, 2017
First of all, you will never get full replacement for sub-folders functionality by using Goals, that's why I'd mentioned some limitations are there as well.

But if you also wants to keep using Goals as goals then for sure it will not be the solution for you so you can forget my suggestion.
Inner Prop

Posted: Oct 26, 2017
I posted this question in the Tips & Tricks forum before I realized there is a Questions forum. How can I move it to the appropriate forum? Can one of the admins do this, please?

Thanks.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.