ForumsGeneral Off Topic Chit-ChatOther GTD software online--converts/comments?

Other GTD software online--converts/comments?
Kevin

Posted: May 22, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
I'm curious as to who's converted from other online task managers, and why. Personally, I've tried Nozbe and Remember the Milk--I've been working my way down the list of GTD links in Jott, which I consider more or less essential to any similar app these days. Toodledoo seems the most flexible--Nozbe had virtually no due date and calendaring functions when I tried it, and remember the milk didn't provide all that many options on its main page (although I really liked the fact that you could view your tasks from your Gmail account.

Oh, and one other question: has anybody seen any sign that Propel'r will ever be up and running? I think I heard about this piece of vaporware back in 2006, and they were promising to have the program available at least in beta by last summer/fall, but so far nada.

Hard to see how they are going to become much of a competitor if they don't get out there and start taking feedback from real, live users (one of the strongest points of Toodledo, IMHO).
kleerkoat

i've tried them all.

toodledo, in my opinion, has the most bang for your buck, and most of all they are on the forums everyday and actually listen to suggestions, implement changes and fix bugs super fast. it may not be a flashy or graphically polished as some of the others (sorry, hope i don't offend), but that would probably hinder some of the pluses I mentioned above making it less flexible.
jdoree

I agree with Ryan. I have tried almost all of the others and am happy to have settled on Toodledo.

I used RTM for a while and didn't like the interface at all though it does have many nice integrations. The app that I think is second to Toodledo is Vitalist but it doesn't have anything that Toodledo does not (while Toodledo has some features it does not) and the price is not as attractive.

Also, the responsiveness of the Toodledo team is also a huge selling point.
joe.jansen

Posted: Jun 11, 2008
Just went and looked at the Propel'r website. It does not appear to have been updated, including the blog, since December of 2007. I wish I could say it looks interesting, but honestly the whole site is nothing more than vaporware promises of greatness with absolutely no real info at all.

edit:spelling

This message was edited Jun 11, 2008.
liamhemmings

Posted: Sep 14, 2008
I like Toodledo as it suits me and the way I think. That may sound axiomatic. However, I have tried a lot of different GTD apps, each with their evangelists. Strikes me that nobody is right when it comes to a particular GTD app, it is case of finding one that suits how you work, what you need and how you think. Toodledo suits me on a personal level.
kartha12

Posted: Jun 04, 2009
I have tried RTM(rememberthemilk), voo2do, hitask, blablalist
and finally settled with Toodledo, I really liked the way Toodledo have designed, and the options they provide to its users. In my opinion Toodledo is Great..
harpm

Posted: Nov 25, 2009
I used Todoist for about 10 months, then switched to RTM for about 18 months and have now been on ToodleDo for a month. I paid for all of those services, if that matters at all.

Todoist is fine for starters, but kind of outgrew it and it seems like 1 guy in his basement with no export capabilities so you never know if it's just going to disappear.

RTM is very nice, but the lack of sub-tasks and what appears to be an obsession with 3rd party integrations led me to switch. In those 18 months, there was only 1 significant core functionality update and that was the Quick Add bar that they just added. Very nice, but not keen on waiting another year and half for another improvement.

Toodle Do is a horrible app name, but I like the interface. The iGoogle Gadget is WAY too feature-rich, even to the point of being unusable. The RTM gadget is pretty minimal and useful.
Proximo

Posted: Nov 30, 2009
I have tried just about every GTD Software/Service you can think about and probably many you never have.

As of today, Toodledo has the most features for the money and I have hacked it to work OK for my GTD needs.

I still have a Love/Hate relationship with Toodledo because It's not designed specifically for the GTD Method. Because of this the Interface and the way it works is frustrating to me as a GTDer.

The iPhone app for Toodledo does not use the same interface or setup as the Website. I actually hate the website interface, so this is a plus for the iPhone app. The iPhone app is missing features from the website and the website is missing features from the iPhone. Things like this drive me crazy and this is where the Hate part of my feelings come from.

There are some worthy competitors out there that only require very little polish for me to switch from Toodledo as a full time GTD Solution.

In my opinion, I think Toodledo needs to completely overhaul their GUI to continue wining people over. Most of the other sites already have a great GUI and only need to add functionality found in Toodeldo. Not sure if it can win GTDers in the long run since it's not designed for the GTD Method exclusively.

Let's see what happens. There is one service right now that I have high hopes for but they still have some work to do before I would know if it's time to switch.

I do think Toodledo has the best community and feedback but there are some others that are starting to gain in this area as well.

Let's see what the future holds. I want Toodledo to continue to succeed and I appreciate what they have built. As a GTDer, I may not be able to deal with the hacking in the long run and this is why I am not sure if I will stay.

This message was edited Nov 30, 2009.
TheGriff_2

Posted: Dec 04, 2009
Any chance you'd be willing to let us in on the apps you think are very close to having you switch? It's always nice to compare/contrast.
rosenbury

Posted: Dec 04, 2009
I'm harpm 100% on feelings towards RTM. Misplaced priorities.

I also tried Nozbe, but they suffered from long delays in development as well. They would even announce release times ("this December") and not roll it out until May.
Linden

Posted: Dec 09, 2009
Wow! I'm guessing that problem with Nozbe is why Toodledo refuses to comment on timelines. Programming doesn't always go smoothly, so perhaps it's better to have an internal deadline to shoot for than to commit to something publicly and then blow it when an unexpected glitch throws things way off course!

Toodledo is the first software I've ever used to manage my todo lists (aside from the standard issue Todo in my Palm Z22, which wasn't very flexible). I'm feeling very lucky, given the horror stories I've heard about some of the other options. :)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.