ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by SRhyse"
SRhyse

Posted Jul 06, 2010 in: Does anyone here use Springpad?
Score: 0
  • SRhyse
  • Posted: Jul 06, 2010
  • Score: 0
Being a big user of Evernote, a fond admirer of OneNote, and a dabbler with Springpad-

Evernote's better for custom made databases and multiple types of content available in the cloud and on the iPhone. If you like search functions and don't mind a somewhat limited note creation editor/scheme, the desktop app does an adequate job. Great if most of what you make note of are clips from the web.

OneNote's got the best note creation, screenshot and inline/overlay editing functions (though you likely won't use any of them if you don't do design work or have a tablet monitor like me). Very flexible, visual and inviting. If you're jacked into the Office suite programs like Outlook and the like, it integrates with them, though never in a way I've found at all meaningful. No iPhone app right now that's not a bit cumbersome (MobileNoter included), but with the Office 2010 Webapp stuff that's come out in the past months, that'll likely change by the end of the year. Rooting for MobileNoter on the iPhone end. The subscription fee's the same or less than Toodledo's, so it's not that big of a deal if you liked it.

Springpad's great if the notes you're taking are linked to only a few and specific types of things, like books you wanna read, products you wanna by, recipes you wanna cook, tasks you wanna do, etc. There actually are alot of really cool 'apps' you can use in it that people've made that sort and manage all the stuff you put in there in alot of interesting ways. They have a GTD notebook app within there that's actually really cool, for example, and all sorts of finance diary, meeting note template apps. The downside to all of that is that the iPhone app doesn't support the cooler 'apps' within the program that manage all your notes in meaningful ways, and breaks down into a giant list with searchable titles and flagging of items.

I think Springpad'll turn into something cool within a year, but every time I try to use it now, I end up playing with all it's little buttons and apps significantly more than getting anything out of it. Instead of doing a few things really well, it sort of does everything average at best, and makes your brain wanna explode if you try to use it to do more than a few things.

This message was edited Jul 06, 2010.
SRhyse

Posted Jul 01, 2010 in: Link Gmail messages to Toodledo Tasks
  • SRhyse
  • Posted: Jul 01, 2010
Posted by Dave:
This is VERY cool. I had no idea you could do this. Thanks for sharing! Maybe eventually there will be a way in gmail to create a toodledo task automatically.

I doubt Google will ever make a button to turn a gMail conversation into a Toodledo task in the way you can currently turn it into a Google Task, but there are some fairly easy ways to do it yourself-

If you're using Firefox, you can use the official Toodledo plugin http://www.toodledo.com/widget/firefox_plugin.php to right click on any page to add that page to a Toodledo task, which in the case of an opened gMail message, will automatically put the page URL to link it into the notes of a new task that you can immediately start filling out then and there.

If you don't wanna go that route or are using another browser, you can add Toodledo as a gadget to gMail (explained here http://www.toodledo.com/widget/google_gadget.php). That'll make it so there's a small Toodledo client running in your gMail window, and you can easily just paste the gMail conversation URL into the notes of a new or existing task there.
SRhyse

Posted Jun 30, 2010 in: Link Gmail messages to Toodledo Tasks
Score: 1
  • SRhyse
  • Posted: Jun 30, 2010
  • Score: 1
Ya, I do it all the time. Open the message in GMail, then copy the URL into a task's note. Opens straight to the conversation.

To link the other way, hit the lego icon to the left of a task, then hit the perma link icon to go to a page with a URL specific to that task. Put that link anywhere, including a GMail conversation, and it'll take you right to the task.

This message was edited Jun 30, 2010.
SRhyse

Posted Jun 22, 2010 in: Suggestion...tasks/notes/subtasks.
  • SRhyse
  • Posted: Jun 22, 2010
I think the problem for you is the view mode you're using, grid vs multi line.

In both the webapp and iPhone there are icons that show up and change based on whether or not there's a subtask/note/it's-a parent-task.

On the web it's the page with a green or read line on it depending on whether or not there's a note, and the little purple opaque thing or multi colored icon to the immediate left of the task name for project/subtask. The latter shows up in all views, the former is only readily visible in grid view, unless you've clicked the blue arrow next to a task to check.

On the iPhone, the project/subtask icons on the right are similar to that of the webapp, and the note icon shows up as well (looks like a page with notes on it).

This message was edited Jun 22, 2010.
SRhyse

• SRhyse
  • Posted: Jun 22, 2010
Posted by David:
So I stumbled upon this new iPhone todo app today and it's call taskpaper. It basically has a pen and paper UI and it's incredibly easy to grasp and fun to use. It's also the main reasons why I choose the iPhone over other smartphones and I never really did get used to toodledo's web interface or their iPhone app. Taskpaper probably isn't for the advanced todo list or GTD user though because it doesn't offer due dates or repeating tasks. The closest comparison to this app would probably be Google apps with contexts. I probably won't ever going back to Toodledo as long as Taskpaper is around, but I'm still glad I gave it a chance :)

I really like the design of Taskpaper too, but kept finding that all the time I thought I saved when entering a task always ended up getting doubly lost in having to manually keep track of alot of things mentally. As you mentioned, like dates, repeating tasks, having to remember and even figure out how the more complex search queries work, etc. Having everything inline makes it a sort of information explosion for me as well, as I make heavy of use of notes. The infinite hierarchy is nice, but breaks down pretty quickly if you use it past a few levels.

The current iPhone app doesn't allow for alot of information to be displayed on screen at one time either, as the font size is a little big for my taste.

And unless you're on a Mac, there's currently no sync to anything besides an online text file until the fall when he plans to start integrating drop box.
SRhyse

Posted Jun 21, 2010 in: Enhancement Request: Usability
  • SRhyse
  • Posted: Jun 21, 2010
I kind of like it how it is now, but I'd be good either way. If there is a change, I hope it's a toggle to choose.
SRhyse

Posted Jun 20, 2010 in: 2Do app with Toodledo
  • SRhyse
  • Posted: Jun 20, 2010
Posted by cjuzda:
try Taska - it is worlds better for GTD than 2Do and much better supported - I've spent a lot of time with both of them

Have you had any issues with syncing with Toodledo? And what features in Toodledo are you using that sync with Taska?

2Do's very pretty and fun to play around with, but syncing it with the Toodledo webapp was kind of like having two separate task systems that I needed to manage when I used it. Each one had an independent set of reminders, subtask types, actions, etc, and the whole thing ended up overpowering the beauty of the UI; it also stores all that info in the notes field of tasks, making it a bit visually misleading as to whether a task has real notes or not in the webapp. It's great if you don't plan on accessing your tasks online much, or use relatively few features though.

No matter what other iPhone App I try, I have a feeling none of them will ever sync as well with Toodledo as Toodledo does, which is why I always end up going back. Any mobile app offering any manner of complexity needs a desktop component to really be of any value to the number of tasks I work with. Having that desktop component be a whole separate system from the mobile one makes it more trouble to use than it's worth to me.

This message was edited Jun 20, 2010.
SRhyse

• SRhyse
  • Posted: Jun 20, 2010
The new iOS version of Evernote just released is suppose to support multitasking and fast switch as well, so it'll be about as integrated with the Toodledo iPhone app as the current notebook implementation is, albeit with alot more options.
SRhyse

Posted Jun 17, 2010 in: notes of completed tasks
  • SRhyse
  • Posted: Jun 17, 2010
I had the same problem, and he's how I get around it, atleast on the iPhone side-

Before I check off the task, I copy it's notes to the clipboard. Then I complete the task from any list view where both the current and newly created completed task would be in (in my case it's usually starred tasks), which instantly creates the new one on top of it, but leaves the checked off task underneath it at the time if I don't change pages (despite whether or not I've set completed tasks to show). I then select that checked off task and paste the notes back into it. You might need to enable auto sync on edit for this to work.

Unfortunately, on the Webapp side at toodledo.com, the only way I've gotten around it is to manually paste the notes into the completed task in the recently completed view. It's not that big of a hassle with the few tasks I do it for, but it would be nice to have an option/standard to have repeated tasks duplicate the current task's notes when marking them complete, not just the other fields as it currently does.
SRhyse

Posted Mar 31, 2010 in: what do you all do for timetracking
  • SRhyse
  • Posted: Mar 31, 2010
There's also a free web service called 1DayLater that visualizes it all for you among your different areas of focus, projects, clients, etc.

http://1daylater.com/

This message was edited Mar 31, 2010.
SRhyse

Posted Mar 28, 2010 in: Integration with Evernote
  • SRhyse
  • Posted: Mar 28, 2010
I love Evernote and would love integration as well, so long as it wasn't as cumbersome as Nozbe's seems to be from the video I saw.

Having to go through and tag/name things on both the Nozbe and Evernote end to get them to link together seems more cumbersome than just opening Evernote at that point, or putting a web link to specific notes in the existing notes feature. It'd be nice if any Toodledo to Evernote integration allowed for direct linking of tasks and notes in a one-to-one way, or potentially one task/note to many tasks/notes, but direct none the less.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4