Search results for "Posted by tbaker"
tbaker

Posted Sep 27, 2011 in: Backups using wget on windows
Score: 1
  • tbaker
  • Posted: Sep 27, 2011
  • Score: 1
Hi Ben,
The script still works. basically, it replicates a login to get the session ID cookie. Once the session ID cookie has been retrieved, it is used to ask for the XML import/export Download page.

The XML is then compressed and moved to another target folder. I've played with the idea of writing a simple Windows Console utility that will do the same thing with a much easier configuration than having to manually edit a script file. I'll put it back on my task list and maybe work on it sometime :)
tbaker

Posted Sep 25, 2011 in: Backups using wget on windows
Score: -1
  • tbaker
  • Posted: Sep 25, 2011
  • Score: -1
Hi Guys,
I wrote a script to facilitate this about a year ago. It could obviously use some cleanup and optimization. It covers offsite storage and compression.

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/3/5479/-29113/automating-toodledo-backups.html
tbaker

Posted Sep 25, 2011 in: quick add task
  • tbaker
  • Posted: Sep 25, 2011
That sounds like a great use. I'd suggest that you implement the same paramaters that are used in email.

% tag, # Due Date, !!! Priority, @ Context, * Folder. This will keep it consistent for those of us who forward emails to the task list.
tbaker

Posted Jul 26, 2011 in: Toodledo Redesign - July 2011
Score: 5
  • tbaker
  • Posted: Jul 26, 2011
  • Score: 5
I love the new layout, but the color scheme is to Gray. The flyouts for calendars and whatnot are still colored and it doesn't seem to fit.
tbaker

Posted Feb 02, 2011 in: Top of page search
Score: 0
  • tbaker
  • Posted: Feb 02, 2011
  • Score: 0
Hi Toodledo users,
I depend heavily on the search feature as my task list has not been short since I've started using toodledo full time.

Having a dedicated search box up next to the top row would be great, this would help in not having to open and close the search row whenever you want to do a quick current-page search. Just an idea.
tbaker

• tbaker
  • Posted: May 17, 2010
Peter,
I agree, and I'm sure my wife would agree too. She says I'm the most forgetful person she's ever met. This was before I started using Toodledo to "supplement" my memory, and now I can't live without it.
tbaker

• tbaker
  • Posted: May 16, 2010
Hi,
I've been trying to come up with a way to get reminders based on my location.

Example - My wife calls and tells me she needs me to stop at the store on the way home. I unwittingly forget even though I added a task to my list and set a reminder for when I thought I'd be by the Highway exit.

Since iPhone 4.0 will include the ability to run background apps that include the ability to poll GPS and update your location on a host system, I was thinking that being able to send a reminder to an iphone when it is "Near" a defined place would be an incredibly powerful feature.

Think of it this way. Next time you need to remember that you need Eggs and milk at the grocery store, you can add a task and in the task bring up a map and drop a pin on it for WHERE you want to receive a reminder for the task. In this example, you'd drop a pin on the grocery store and next time you're there, Toodledo looks at your current location and says "Hey, I've got a reminder for this location".

Some of the technical details would have to be worked out, for example
- how often is too often for polling GPS?
- how "Close" to your pin do you need to be for it to constitute a match?
- What would the UI look like for adding such a reminder
- How would this play in to the Start/Due times listed on a task?

Since I'm not the developer, but am a vocal user interested in efficient UI design, I could see it looking something like this...

You could add an additional Column (Maybe just an icon for the iPhone GPS Circle) that would bring up a fly out window with a Google Map system. You then have the ability to add the pin, and set the options on that page.

Since some people have start/due times/dates set, you could have a separate set of "notify me" times, also providing the option to carry over the Start/Due times.

Maybe it's just me, but I think this could be tremendously useful, or am I just too in love with technology and what becomes possible with it?
tbaker

Posted Apr 01, 2010 in: Automating Toodledo Backups
  • tbaker
  • Posted: Apr 01, 2010
Hi all,
I had a weekly task on my task list that always seemed to slip by never getting done when it was supposed to. This task was possibly the most important one on my list. This task was downloading a copy of all my toodledo data for backup using the XML export function.

As all good IT folks will tell you, there's no backups until you have a backup off-site (and no, the copy of your tasks on Toodledo don't count). I thought since I've spent a good time customizing my backup routine, I'd share with you all how I achieve this.

First off, I don't want to take credit for the idea, I only added a few things to existing discussions and scripting found at and inspired by TheGriff found here >> https://www.toodledo.com/forums/3/2227/0/back-up-your-toodledo-data-with-wget.html

Secondly, this provided link has a user who implements this on linux as well. To be clear, this is a WINDOWS script.

Below I provide an listing of the steps the script takes, the dependancies on other applications, and steps needed to implement this to use yourself.

Script Overview - Steps
==========================
1) Starts a log file that will be emailed.
2) Downloads the XML file from toodledo
3) Compresses it, naming the file with the date (I get about 14/1 compression with this, going from a file that is natively 1.65Mb down to 245kb)
4) Moves the file to a safe offsite Location, in a nice tiered folder structure. \Year\Month\Day (\2010\04\01\)
5) Emails me notice that this process completed.

Dependancies
================================================
WGet - Used for downloading the XML file from toodledo
- WGet is a command line utility.
- WGet can be downloaded from http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/wget.htm

7-zip - 7Zip is a great compression and archive utility. It can be run with parameters at the command line
- 7-zip can be downloaded from http://www.7-zip.org/

Blat - Used for emailing the log file
- Blat is a great command line utility that can take the contents of a text file and email it via your own defined email server.
- Blat has good documentation on how to set up a profile and how to send email if you're interested by running "blat /?" from the command line.
- Blat can be downloaded from http://www.blat.net/

Stunnel - Provides SSL connection (where necessary) to send email.
- Since my email address (and thus server) of choice is hosted with Google apps, I need to wrap the Blat email communicatoins with SSL. Google only allows users who can authenticate (which blat does natively) and encrypts the communications (which blat does not do).
- Configuring Stunnel is the worst part of this whole setup.
- If your email server requires SSL, I suggest you consult your favorite IT person for help getting this setup, it's no fun. If you are using google apps, or gmail, let me know, I'll send you the config I ended up using.
- STunnel can be downloaded from http://www.stunnel.org/

Jungle Disk - Software that allows use of Amazon S3 as a disk Drive.
- In my actual script, I'm copying this data right offsite to my Jungledisk Drive.
- Any Online backup solution would be appropriate here, my favorite is Jungle Disk
- This step can also be used to store files locally.
- Jungle Disk can be purchased from http://www.jungledisk.com

Configuring Dependancies
- I run this script from c:\bin, If you decide to run this script from a different lcoation, it will have to be updated as the log file used is referenced by it's defined location.
- Blat is configured in my script to use a profile named "tbakerwebgmail", this stores my username, password, and email server settings defined. See Blat's documentation for how to configure a blat profile.
- Blat, 7zip and WGet's folders are expected to be in the "Path". if you don't understand what this means, again, consult your favorite IT person.

Customizing the Script for your use
I've placed the following strings in the file. they need to be replaced with your appropriate information
- Line 23 - toodledoEmailAddress - The Email Address you subscribe to Toodledo with
- Line 23 - toodledoPassword - Your Password for Toodledo
- Line 39,40 - backupRootPath - This is your local filesystem location where you want the Year\Month\Day folders to be created.
- Line 47 - blatProfileName - This is the Blat Profile name to use.
- Line 47 - toEmailAddress - This is the email address you want the notice of backup completion to be sent to.

Once you've configured the script to use your specfic settings, you'll want to add this to your windows Task scheduler.

Copy everything below this line into a text file and save it as c:\bin\toodledo_backup.bat
@Echo Off
@For /F "tokens=1,2,3,4 delims=/ " %%A in ('Date /t') do @(
Set Day=%%C
Set Month=%%B
Set Year=%%D
)

@For /F "tokens=1,2,3 delims=: " %%E in ('time /t') do @(
Set Hour=%%E
Set Minute=%%F
Set AMPM=%%G
)
Set Longdate=%Year%-%Month%-%Day%-%Hour%-%Minute%-%AMPM%

date /T > c:\bin\logs\current-toodledo.log
time /T >> c:\bin\logs\current-toodledo.log

echo Toodledo Backup Starting... > c:\bin\logs\current-toodedo.log

echo. >> c:\bin\logs\current-toodledo.log
echo Fetching XML... >> c:\bin\logs\current-toodledo.log
wget --no-check-certificate --save-cookies cookies.txt --post-data "email=toodledoEmailAddress&pass=toodledoPassword" https://www.toodledo.com/signin.php
wget --load-cookies cookies.txt http://www.toodledo.com/xml.php

del index.php
del cookies.txt
move xml.php toodledo.xml

echo Compressing XML... >> c:\bin\logs\current-toodledo.log
7z a -mx3 -tzip toodledo_%Longdate%.zip toodledo.xml

del toodledo.xml

echo Moving to Jungledisk Drive... >> c:\bin\logs\current-toodledo.log
mkdir "backupRootPath\%Year%\%Month%\%Day%"
move toodledo_%Longdate%.zip "backupRootFolder\%Year%\%Month%\%Day%\toodledo_%Longdate%.zip"

echo File uploaded as toodledo_%Longdate%.zip >> c:\bin\logs\current-toodledo.log

echo Backup Complete! >> c:\bin\logs\current-toodledo.log

blat c:\bin\logs\current-toodledo.log -p blatProfileName -to toEmailAddress -subject "Toodledo Backup Completed"

This message was edited Apr 01, 2010.
tbaker

Posted Mar 29, 2010 in: Recurrance in Email entry
  • tbaker
  • Posted: Mar 29, 2010
Hello,
I make heavy use of the email ability to add tasks to my list. I'd love to see the recurrence field added to the email import.

It seems to be the only odd-ball one left out. Thanks!
tbaker

• tbaker
  • Posted: Mar 29, 2010
Hi Toodledo,
I was wondering if the audio file used on the iPhone as the reminder sound is available anywhere as a download. I'm setting up email reminders and I'd love to have outlook play an Audio file, and it would be really nice if it was the same one my phone makes when it gets a reminder.

Keep up the good work. I turn at least 2 people on to Toodledo every month. :)
tbaker

Posted Feb 27, 2010 in: Dragon Dictation
  • tbaker
  • Posted: Feb 27, 2010
As an IT consultant who's constantly on the road I found the same need in recording thoughts and tasks while driving and otherwise hands-capacitated.

I tried fitting Dragon into my productivity, but it didn't work well. What I was ultimately looking for was voice recording to my inbox (ideally directly to toodledo...) and also tried Jott and was severely underwhelmed.

What I finally ended up using was a fantastic iPhone app called MailMe Voice. It's a paid app that simply starts recording when it's opened and then emails the voice recording to a predefined email address.

There is no security concern here, since you can (and in fact have to) define your own email server for the data to go through.

I couple this with an outlook rule that grabs the emails incoming and sticks them right into a "Voice Notes" folder and I have outlook list this folder right in my main view with the total number of items (not unread, but total items). This is a great way of listing what you have on your mind without having to type it when you can't.

Once back in front of a computer, I play the wav file and all the thoughts I had are replayed for me, which I can act on then. Using the toodledo email address I have assigned, I can foward that email on using the convention to add it to the folder I need, with the due-date and priority I need. The best part of this, is doing it this way, I have my original voice note attached to the toodledo task (Pro Plus member).

This message was edited Feb 27, 2010.
tbaker

Posted Feb 27, 2010 in: Size of notes field during edit
  • tbaker
  • Posted: Feb 27, 2010
I'm guessing you use Toodledo as your to do list? :)
tbaker

Posted Feb 26, 2010 in: Size of notes field during edit
  • tbaker
  • Posted: Feb 26, 2010
Hello all,
Does anyone else have issues editing a fairly large notes field?

I find that the notes field shows all (or most of) the data in the notes field until you're in edit mode. Once you click to edit, the field shrinks and makes it far more difficult to review the full note.

This is useful when you're on a phone call and taking brief notes, though you have to scroll up/down to see the remainder of the note during edit mode.

I'd love to see an auto-growing/shrinking edit field like it does with displaying them.
tbaker

• tbaker
  • Posted: Oct 22, 2009
This could be used in conjunction with the thoughts I posted to thread - http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/1886/0/keep-folders-when-assigningreassigning-please.html

The idea I had in the other thread would be to establish a possible mapping between your folders and the folders shared with you by others. If you establish the mapping, the default folder that would be shown when you reassign the task should be the folder in your collaborators list that's been previously paired with the folder in your list that the task already belongs to.
tbaker

• tbaker
  • Posted: Oct 21, 2009
That would be great!

I ask only that you include the ability to specify the target folder as well.

My co-workers have different names for the same folder, so being able to specify the folder (limited of course to the folders that are shared with me) I'd like to put it in, would be immensity helpful.

This also has the side affect of being able to remove the reassign column, which would also save some horizontal-scrolling screen real estate, which I'm sure any power user could appriciate.
tbaker

• tbaker
Hi All,
I've recently started using the Collaborator abilty with another pro user co-worker. I've found that the horizontal space needed to have the reassign button field work is far more space than I'd like to give it :).

I'm thinking if the result of clicking the reassign button should pull up a small fly-out window (like hovering the checkbox or sub-task icons) that would give you the ability to select the collaborator, and Ideally, the Folder and Context to use if that user has those fields enabled.

Doing this would reduce how much space is needed to have the Reassign button turned on and also solve some of the apparent challenges with reassigning a task and it defaulting to no Folder/Context, brought up else where in the forum.
tbaker

• tbaker
Hey all,
I know this is an older thread, but figured I'd drag it up again.

I've been using Toodledo for about a year, and just got a co-worker I work closely with on it. Both of our methods for using folders are the same, though like the examples provided above, spelling and notation of listing the Customers names for the folders vary a little bit.

All in all, I'd love to see a Folders/Contexts Mapping per Collaborator basis. I can envision a link and a page where My folders are listed, and it gives me an opportunity to select a folder from my collaborators list that is it's counterpart. Doing this would give everyone here the ability to customize how it works.

In HansD's example stated above where @work would match his @onsite, he could configure this specifically with this collaborator.
tbaker

Posted Sep 21, 2009 in: Alarm WHEN DUE
  • tbaker
  • Posted: Sep 21, 2009
I'm not sure...

I configured to have it send to my emails and I got them near the EXACT same time as the push on my iPhone.

As indicated in my post, I'd love to have even a smaller number than 15 minutes to get me an alarm. Even 5 min before would work Much better. Heck, i'd love t see both, 5 min and "on due"
tbaker

• tbaker
Understood.

I'd like to still see it and take the said "Risk" of missing the time exactly. I like the functionality of being able to put something in my task list (where I organize all of my thoughts) and know it will result in my iPhone going "Buzz Buzz"
tbaker

• tbaker
Hey everyone,
Is there a way to have toodledo send alarms 0 minutes before something is due? I'd love to not have to put the due time 15 minutes later than it's due to get a notification that it's due. Thanks
Skip to Page:  1   2      Next