ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by MM1772"
MM1772

Score: 1
  • MM1772
  • Posted: Jan 12, 2019
  • Score: 1
I think I was able to see it on my Android app. Like you, I found it useful for culling old tasks.
MM1772

Posted Jan 02, 2019 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
  • MM1772
  • Posted: Jan 02, 2019
I originally posted a good-bye email on a different thread, but it looks like it probably belongs here instead. (My original post is at https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/26261/3/proscons-of-alternatives-to-toodledo.html)

It's been a long, hard decision, but I'm letting my Gold plan lapse this month.

My needs are relatively simple. I don't need to share tasks or assign them to other people. Toodledo did the trick, but I wanted to keep history. In looking at different options, I discovered that I liked the user interface for Remember the Milk. I'm using the premium version now.

Though I deleted all my tasks from Toodledo (and will eventually delete all my notes), I'm keeping my account on the free plan and will check in periodically to see how things are going. I might switch back later, since I really loved Toodledo.

I wish everyone -- especially the new owners of Toodledo -- a very happy and prosperous 2019.
MM1772

Score: 0
  • MM1772
  • Posted: Dec 29, 2018
  • Score: 0
Posted by sandy_1291474649:
I have a spreadsheet I set up with travel tasks

Interesting! For a while I had travel tasks as separate tasks in Toodledo, but couldn't find an easy way to manage them since, as you noted, the same tasks might not apply to each trip. (One example I remember was a back-to-back business trip at a business-class hotel followed by a camping trip... Talk about different tasks and things to pack!)

I eventually loaded the tasks into Excel, with tasks in rows and trips in two columns: Needed and Done. For a trip I'd done before (annual business conference), I'd start with what I did the year before and quickly scan the tasks/packing items. If I needed to do it again this year, I'd type y in the Needed column. After I finished, I'd use the filter to show only the tasks/packing items that had a y in the column. That became my To Do list. After doing a task or packing an item, I'd put a y in the Done column. I'd filter so that it showed only items that had a y in the Needed column and a blank Done column.

I kept the spreadsheet in Microsoft OneDrive, where I could access it from my PC since most of my packing and so on happened at home. Toward the end, I'd copy any remaining tasks to a single Toodledo task.

I manually had to copy tasks into Toodledo if they had to be done by a specific date (for example, immunizations before a foreign trip). I never thought about calculating the dates like you did and then importing from a .CSV! That's a great idea.
MM1772

Posted Dec 29, 2018 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
Score: 6
  • MM1772
  • Posted: Dec 29, 2018
  • Score: 6
It's been a long, hard decision, but I'm letting my Gold plan lapse at the first of the year.

When the price increase announcement was made, I started looking for alternatives, just in case. I discovered that Remember the Milk fit my way of organizing better than Toodledo, so I switched to that and tried both side-by-side for a couple of weeks, with Toodledo as my "real" app. By the end of my test, I decided that RTM was better for me. The fact that RTM now has a direct Toodledo import swayed me.

I use Toodledo Notes a lot, but I was having trouble finding a solution for that. I exported them as CSV and then managed to save them into individual text files, and them into Simple Note. But then I decided to go with Evernote since it was easy to import the text files there, where I had some existing notes. But then -- as I said, this has been a long process -- I discovered that I couldn't use the Evernote app on Android unless I had a Premium account, so this morning I exported the Evernote notes and imported all my notes into Simple Note.

My needs are relatively simple. I don't need to share tasks or assign them to other people. Toodledo did the trick, but I wanted to keep history. For now, RTM fits the bill.

Though I deleted all my tasks from Toodledo (and will eventually delete all my notes), I'm keeping my account on the free plan and will check in periodically to see how things are going. I might switch back later, since I really loved Toodledo.

I wish everyone -- especially the new owners of Toodledo -- a very happy and prosperous 2019.

This message was edited Dec 29, 2018.
MM1772

• MM1772
  • Posted: Dec 23, 2018
You could always create one task, then use the dropdown to "Clone this task." Give each clone a different due date.
MM1772

Posted Dec 23, 2018 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
  • MM1772
Posted by tanichka13:

People are complaining that you need multiple clicks to reschedule overdue events, and yet it's acceptable that you need to click TWICE to mark a task completed?.

That's true. However, I don't have a problem with that because I'm usually on the web, checking off a number of items at once and that one extra click doesn't bother me. Maybe it's because when I'm done, they all disappear at once, and I can see the completed tasks by clicking the Completed tab.

In other words, if I want to mark 10 tasks as done:

Toodledo - click each task (10 clicks).

RTM - click each task and then click Done (total of 11 clicks).

It's probably a preference thing.
MM1772

Posted Dec 23, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
  • MM1772
Posted by tsinvest:
If I'm not mistaken I believe Ultimate Todo List emailed its users and said unless we pay for Toodledo we won't be able to sync with it.

I just googled Ultimate To Do List and found this. Note that the first step in Configuring is "In the first screen choose Sync with an existing Toodledo.com Account..." It doesn't say paid account, but maybe the blog hasn't been updated.

https://www.michaellinenberger.com/blog/ultimate-to-do-list-configuration-instructions/
MM1772

Posted Dec 22, 2018 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
  • MM1772
  • Posted: Dec 22, 2018
Posted by roaz:

Here is a couple of other ways to import your text files into Evernote. Did you try any of these? I suggest you have the Evernote client installed for better results.

https://superuser.com/questions/981985/how-can-i-convert-standard-txt-files-to-evernotes-notes
You may need to add Evernote to your list of Send to options. Just search for "add program to sendto"

Thank you! That was amazingly simple! Now all my notes are in Evernote. I don't know if I'll stay there, but at least they're all in one place and I have to worry about only one type of export if I decide to move.

Two things I noticed:

I have the Evernote client open. Before I did the import, I went through the existing notes on Evernote and got rid of some more that were outdated and not necessary. Then I did an Evernote backup. (I keep forgetting how to do this, but you have to click Notebooks and then right-click and select Export Notes.)

When I imported the text files, they all went into the last Notebook on my list of notebooks. Was that because that was the folder that was open, or it was the last one in the list? I don't know, but since it was very easy to find the new notes and move them. Just select a bunch of notes and a dialog box opens asking what you want to do. I selected Move To and moved them to a temporary folder.

The second thing I noticed was that the titles on the imported notes were the name of the file. So, for example, if a text file is named note1,txt, when you import it this way (Send to > Evernote), the title of the note will be note1.txt. This wasn't a problem for me since I made the filenames the same as the actual note name.

Thank you again! Now I can actually do something this weekend instead of sitting in front of my computer trying to figure this out!
MM1772

Posted Dec 21, 2018 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
  • MM1772
  • Posted: Dec 21, 2018
Posted by Ummagumma:

However, if you were ok with using the plaintext Toodledo notes, then looks like you don’t need any of that added functionality. Why don’t just use plaintext or Word /Doc notes saved in OneDrive or Google Drive ?

Yes, for the most part I'm okay with plain text notes; if I need something more full-featured (for example, a draft of an article I'm writing), I'll save it in Word on either Office online or Dropbox. But usually I have lots of smaller plain-text notes.

BTW, getting notes out of OneNote is doable, you can export them to PDF.

True, but let's say I want to use another note app (maybe one with different features). I don't see PDF a lot as a supported input type.

For the past hour I've been looking at Simple Note (so far my preference) and Standard Notes. Simple Note has a better "escape plan" of plain text files, one per note. Yes, it's true that plain text is not always an import option, but I have seen it (Nimbus Note, Standard Notes). Standard Notes, however, has a better security story: notes are encrypted in storage.

I'm running out of time to do any more research :( I may end up flipping a coin :)
MM1772

Posted Dec 21, 2018 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
  • MM1772
  • Posted: Dec 21, 2018
@DrFrankBuck Did you import your Toodledo notebook Notes into Evernote? Or did you just use Evernote from the beginning?

I have 333 notes in Toodledo that I want to move over to a different note app. Evernote appears to import only Evernote or OneNote exports.

I have 525 notes in Evernote from when I used it in addition to Toodledo.

Ideally I'd like to get my 333 + 525 notes in the same place, but so far I haven't found a solution.

Edited to add:

I just added Evernote's Web Clipper to Chrome (Chrome extension), opened up one of my Toodledo Notes in Chrome, and was able to clip the note, which adds it to Evernote! I did have to change the name of the note by copying and pasting from the body of the note into the title space, but that isn't hard at all on a desktop. So, that would work, but I'd have to do it 333 times :( I'm going to email Evernote's support and ask if there's an easier way.

Edited again to add:

That didn't work well. It looks like the body of the note is not searchable. That is, if I search for a word that's only in the body, not the title, the search doesn't find it.

This message was edited Dec 21, 2018.
MM1772

Posted Dec 20, 2018 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
  • MM1772
  • Posted: Dec 20, 2018
Another Note app I tried was Nimbus Note. It didn't do a good job of importing the test text files I created for testing with SimpleNote and I just don't have time to figure it out.

It has some nice rich text features that look cool, but I can deal with plain text notes for now.
MM1772

Posted Dec 20, 2018 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
  • MM1772
  • Posted: Dec 20, 2018
I'm just wondering if anyone has found a good substitute for Toodledo's Notes module (not the task notes, but the notebook notes). Toodledo has said they don't plan to do much development on this feature because there are so many other options out there, which -- to me -- makes good business sense at this point.

I've looked at SimpleNote, Standard Notes, and Zoho Notes. I didn't really like Zoho Notes, so I crossed that off the list.

Standard Notes was okay and has a good encryption story, plus automatic backup, but it's open source and I don't know how long the project would continue (yes, it's true that many open source projects last much longer than commercial projects, but...) The big drawback was that it wasn't clear to me how I could move to another app if I wasn't happy with them or if they disappeared. Having spent a lot of time researching and trialing other apps, I don't want something I can't leave easily.

SimpleNote is also at least partially open source, but the company that provides it, Automattic, also created WordPress.com, so I don't think they're going to go away soon. Their support group was very helpful when I asked about a Toodledo Notes import. Though they don't have a specific import for it, they suggested I try their text file import. This, however, involves saving each note as a .txt file. You can get to that point by exporting the notes as .CSV, then opening the CSV file and stripping out the columns you don't need. Basically, the only column their import uses is the Notes column itself, so you lose the note title and folder. If you know VBA (or know someone who does), you can write a little script that instead writes the folder name as a tag (for example, #HomeRepair) in the note body, and then saves the note using the title as the filename. To make the Title into a valid filename, you have to do a search and replace on all the entries in the Title column and changing all spaces and special characters to a hyphen or underscore. I'm probably not explaining it clearly enough, and there are probably quicker ways to do it, but you get the general idea: It *can* be done with a little work, and support is very helpful. I had 600+ notes, but I saved only 300 as text. I've imported a few of those as a test.

Why didn't I just go with OneNote? I didn't see a good way to export if I wanted out. (I might have missed something, though.)

Why didn't I go with Evernote? Same thing. Also, I keep hearing rumors that they're not doing so well or that they're focusing so much on the business audience that soon there won't be lower-cost plans for the individual user. None of these rumors seem well-founded, but, as I said, I don't want to go through this again right away.
MM1772

• MM1772
  • Posted: Dec 19, 2018
@J.O.D described it perfectly. The Notes section contains what I've sometime seen called Notebook Notes. However, you don't *create* notebooks, instead, when you assign one of these notes to a folder, the folder acts as a notebook.

For example, let's say I want to keep notes for household stuff, like what size filters I need for the furnace, how to descale the coffee maker, and so on. I can create a note called Furnace Filters and assign it to my already existing folder called Home. I can create a Coffee Maker note and also assign it to the folder called Home.

Then, when I want to refer to this info, I go to the Notes section by using the Notes dropdown menu. I can search that folder for the note or just browse the notes in that folder. Or, I can view by note (avoiding the folder altogether) and just look for it.

However, the search is limited to the Search icon at the top of the Notes section. That is, you can't use the advanced search that is available for tasks.
MM1772

Posted Dec 17, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
  • MM1772
  • Posted: Dec 17, 2018
Posted by Curt:
Anyone else have feedback on RTM?

I don't have any comments on the collaboration features of RTM, but have other comments. Import is easy. Your Context doesn't come across, so if you really depend on context, that might be something you need to consider.

Editing more than one task at a time -- for example, moving a bunch of tasks to a different List (Folder) -- is very easy: just select all you want to move and assign it to a new list.

Notebook Notes (that is, what's under the Notes pull-down, not the notes associated with tasks) don't come over. If you use Toodledo for Notebook Notes, that's another thing to consider.

If you want to manage tasks only, import them (or a few of them) into RTM and see how you like it. You might prefer the way Toodledo does things or not.

This message was edited Dec 17, 2018.
MM1772

Posted Dec 02, 2018 in: Export note
  • MM1772
  • Posted: Dec 02, 2018
IGNORE THIS POST. I'm leaving it here in case anyone has the same problem. The problem was that when I opened the CSV file in Excel, I saw only the first lines because I didn't expand the cell height!!! Sorry for the panic.

I just tried exporting notes to make sure it was actually exporting and decided to look at the CSV file it produced.

I've never looked at the CSV before; if I wanted to do a backup, I just did the complete backup of tasks and notes (under Backup/Restore). I wish I had looked at the Notes CSV file earlier because I noticed a problem.

I went to https://www.toodledo.com/tools/connect_csv.php and did a CSV export and opened it in Excel 2013. There is one row in the CSV file for each note. If, however, the note text exceeds a line (almost all of them do), the line is truncated! So, for example, where I have a note where I have Word 2013 tips, one per line with a blank line between tips, it exports only the first line.

However, if I just view the CSV online (on https://www.toodledo.com/tools/connect_csv.php I clicked View CSV File and it's all there!

I did a full backup and used Notepad++ to look at the resulting file. Yes, the notes are all there, complete. They are not being truncated.

So, the problem is only viewing a CSV export of Notes with Excel 2013.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

This message was edited Dec 02, 2018.
MM1772

Posted Nov 26, 2018 in: Export note
  • MM1772
  • Posted: Nov 26, 2018
@pawelkaleta is correct. If you go to the CSV Import/Export page and then scroll down, you should see the choices for Notebook.

I don't know if this link will work, but here's where it is:
https://www.toodledo.com/tools/connect_csv.php
MM1772

Posted Nov 11, 2018 in: Tasks not saving when done via desktop
  • MM1772
  • Posted: Nov 11, 2018
I had that happen once or twice and the problem was that I was assigning a Start Date instead of a Due Date (or vice versa; I can't remember).

If you search for an uncompleted task where Date Added is Today, does it show up?
MM1772

Posted Nov 03, 2018 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
  • MM1772
  • Posted: Nov 03, 2018
I don't use start dates in Toodledo because I found it confusing. For me, "Due date" is always the date on which I need to do something (in this case, start a project). I usually have the actual deadline date in the task name.

I think I'm going to try @DrFrankBuck's trick of using DEADLINE in the task name with the actual deadlline date, and @Ummagumma's trick of putting the deadline date at the beginning of the task name (although I'll probably write it in YYYYMMDD format since I often have projects that span calendar years or some that I find out early enough to write a task for it a year or two in advance).
MM1772

Posted Nov 01, 2018 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
  • MM1772
  • Posted: Nov 01, 2018
Another minus for RTM that I just remembered:

It doesn't have the extra modules that Toodledo has:

Notes - I use this a lot.

Outlines - I never used this, though.

Lists - Ditto. I found that if I needed a list, I either needed a separate app (for example, grocery shopping) or I could use subtasks (which I ended up not using) or the task's note.

Habits - I never got in the habit (no pun intended) of using this.

It also doesn't have these fields:

Goal
Star - I use the Star field, but I should probably just reserve Priority 1 for those tasks.

And yes, Toodledo does have a 1-week view (and other views), but for some reason, I never used them. This, to me, is a plus for TD.
MM1772

Posted Nov 01, 2018 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
  • MM1772
  • Posted: Nov 01, 2018
Posted by DrFrankBuck:
I have not tried this personally, since I had already copied over tasks through other means. Would be interested in success others have.

I tried it and it worked well. Took only about 3 minutes for the import of 3700+ tasks. Todoist, on the other hand, imported only .CSV files and if you used the task's note feature -- which I did extensively, you have to edit the .CSV file, moving the note to a new row (called note) under the task it applies to. I sorted the .CSV by folder name and made separate .CSV files for each folder so I could just do the most important ones first.

I'm doing sort of a parallel test between Toodledo and RTM. That is, I'm entering new tasks in RTM, but comparing it to Toodledo for tasks that I imported. By the time my Gold subscription on TD runs out, I should have a good idea of which tool works best for me.

So far, here's what I found:

Similar:
Yes, "Folders" are called "Lists" in RTM. They seem to work the same way, but are just called by a different name.

RTM has Start dates and Due dates. I had tried using Start dates in Toodledo, but didn't really find them useful for the way I work, so I haven't tried them with RTM yet.

RTM has an email interface, but I haven't investigated that yet. It says it interfaces with Outlook, but I don't know if that means Outlook tasks or Outlook calendar. I need an interface with Outlook calendar. I'm wondering if I can configure my Google account so that it subscribes to my Outlook calendar and gets RTM tasks so that I can see if I'm scheduling a task on an already busy day without switching tabs to look at a calendar and then my task manager.

Pluses:
I like their views. I use Today and This Week most.

I love their multi-select, though it's different enough that I have to pay attention to what I'm doing right now.

Unlimited task history.

Minuses:

No Contexts. You need to use tags, which can get messy, I'd guess, but I honestly haven't played with them.

No calendar view on the left like TD has.

When you edit the due date, the choices are Today, Tomorrrow, next 3 days, 1 week, no due date, and pick from calendar. There are many times I reschedule a date for 1 year. For example, "Put up Halloween decorations": I click "1 year", then look to see whether that's a weekday or weekend and adjust as needed. With RTM, I have to pick from calendar and click 11 times to get to the same month in the next year. This is driving me bonkers. Why don't I use repeating tasks? I don't know. Maybe they weren't available or I didn't understand them when they first appeared in TD. So, obviously it's not a TD problem, but a "me" problem.

The quick and easy import means you import all those tasks you really should delete. At least with Todoist I was looking at each folder (which is a "Project") and saying, "Do I really need this online? Maybe I'll just keep the .CSV on my home computer in case I need to reference this folder."

No export as .CSV. The only choice is JSON. Most of the task managers I see accept .CSV imports. (Toodledo, thankfully will import .JSON files, so if I decide to stay with Toodledo, I can, though I may have to delete all my old Toodledo tasks before I import the .JSON file.)

This message was edited Nov 01, 2018.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next