ForumsNewsiOS app update: Version 3.0 includes over 100 improvements.

iOS app update: Version 3.0 includes over 100 improvements.
pjlewis

Posted: Nov 29, 2012
Score: -3 Reference
Well done Jake and the team, this is a significant upgrade and I look forward to using it. Thank you.
matt.eggers

Score: 1 Reference
+1 on wanting an option for smaller font

+1 for wanting indented subtasks
matt.eggers

Score: 4 Reference
I have no idea what the orange triangles are in the corner of every task. Are they supposed to represent different importance levels? They all look the same!

But worst of all, the home screen on my tasks is totally buggy. It is un-useable. The labels for priority, due date and so forth are repeated multiple times and placed on top of each other big, unreadable piles. Ack! Can someone please recommend a different task app that syncs with Toodledo? I need to find something else to use quick!
bahetc

Please smaller font. If you enable the user to select a smaller font like the one you have on the side bar, it would be a very big improvement!

Please!
Purveyor

Posted by matt.eggers:
Can someone please recommend a different task app that syncs with Toodledo? I need to find something else to use quick!
Todo by Appigo and Pocket Informant by WebIS are the two best iOS apps that sync with Toodledo.
http://www.appigo.com/
http://www.webis.net/

This message was edited Nov 29, 2012.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 0 Reference
I will address some of the common complaints here:

Font size is too large on task title.
We will be decreasing the font size in the next update to be the same size as what it was before.

Font size is too small in other places.
We will be increasing the font sizes in the next update.

Colors are too boring/ugly/terrible/grey.
We consulted with some very good designers for this project and they made the suggestion (that we agreed with) that the most important part of a to-do list is the customer's data, and that the UI shouldn't distract from this data. It's not a flashy game, it's a productivity tool, so don't make a flashy UI. The UI should melt into the background, which is why we intentionally made it less colorful, to highlight your data. That said, one of our intentions with this redesign was to set the stage for "themes" in the future. We did a lot of work to make the style modular so that it would be easy in the future to make user customizable themes. So if you want flashy colors, this is coming. In the meantime, we will soon be making some refinements to our "grey" color scheme to make the contrast better and have less dark grey on light grey which may be difficult to read for some people.

Priority triangles
There is a bug that causes the priority triangles to always be there, even if you disable the priority field (9% of you). We will get this fixed (sorry). We are also increasing the color contrast between the different values so that they are easier to distinguish (sorry). The reason why we turned the priority field into a color indicator was so that we could fit more information on the screen. This frees up a field below the task title to display some other piece of useful information.

Dividers between tasks
We have had dividers for a long time, but up until this version we had the option to turn them off if you didn't want them. We removed this ability because it was very difficult to maintain the code and make the changes that we wanted to make with optional dividers. We also added some functionality to the dividers to make them much more useful, so we thought that people should start using it (95% of you already did anyway). Here are the three useful things that the dividers do: 1) They show the total number of tasks in that group. 2) They allow you to collapse an entire group (by clicking) to simplify the list. 3) They display redundant information in one space. Instead of printing "Due Today" on every single task, we just display it once at the top of the section which gives us room to display something more useful and unique below each task.

Field X disappeared
It seems that we have a bug that is causing the update to sometimes disable a field. This is an easy one-time fix. Go into Settings > Fields & Defaults and then move the field back into the used section. We are still investigating this bug. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Task list is empty on iPad after updating
This is also a bug that we are trying to track down. We have not been able to reproduce it, but we know from several customers that deleting the app and reinstalling will fix it. It may be an issue with a corrupted update from Apple. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Saved Searches / Nested Subtasks / Full Collaboration / File Attachments
These features from our main website have been on our to-do list for the iPhone app for a long time. Too long, I admit it. We have had some difficulty with our iOS development pipeline this past year, but this update did a lot of work behind the scenes to clean things up and make future development quicker. These four features are at the top of our list and as soon as we get the bugs worked out we will release them to you.

Putting it in perspective
A common rule of thumb is that for every 1 complaint there are 25 dissatisfied customers who didn't complain. Based on the number of complaints that we have gotten and the number of people who have updated so far, we are estimating that about 5% of updaters are dissatisfied. Naturally we want this number to be closer to 0%, but given the scope of this update and the fact that the vast majority of complaints are easy to fix and will be fixed in a week or two, I am pretty satisfied with what we have made. If this update has ruined your day, I am very sorry. Please create a support ticket and give us your feedback so that we can try to improve the app to be better for you.

This message was edited Nov 29, 2012.
philip.mcevilly

I have an iPad 2 running iOS 6. This update is crashing immediately upon launch. I'm not gonna post a nasty remark in the iTunes Store but I am gonna petition for an immediate fix, in this forum in the hope that you are reading these posts from your users. I have no desire to be a beta tester.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
If your app is crashing or having other problems, please try the steps listed here and create a support ticket if it does not resolve the issue: http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=80
MILO_1355313194

Posted: Nov 30, 2012
+1.

I didn't update my ipad with the new version as well. I have on my iPhone and honestly can't bear using it. Very cluttered. Loved TD and will likely keep it in the background until a better update comes, but am also on the lookout for a replacement.

Posted by colossusfr:
Hi,

I use Toodledo for many years. I use both on Iphone, IPad and on the web. I have done the update on IPhone. I won't do it on IPad !!! I don't like the update at all. The grey scheme is awful, not readable at all. Please let us to choose between the new scheme and the old one.
Agree with "kiteboy" : The fonts are both too big (task names) and too small (everything else). Moreover, they don't use the row heights effectively.

I will wait that all these things will be fixed before an update on IPad.

Alain.
Wim Bakkeren

Score: 2 Reference
Nice update. A few remarks though:

I think it's too grey. More color please or at least more contrast, e.g. a white background

I'm not sure about the Home page. I think I prefer the previous version. I also don't like the look of the 'View Tasks by' area. It's so empty. I don't like that I have to tap twice to get to all my folders: 1 Folder, 2 More ...

The Dutch translation looks terrible, All text is too long. The German translation apparently has the same problem.

This message was edited Nov 30, 2012.
colossusfr

Hi

My second post after one day using this update on IPhone.

I'm less angry about this version. The scroling of the task list is much better on this version, very useful. I like also the detail written under the text of the task (file, repeat, date).
Adding a subtask from a task is also a good new feature.

I'm still angry against the color and the contrast. And I use it in professionnal context !! The "flashy" color was very useful because the contrast was good.
There is also another problem : the font of the note text is too little.

The french translation doesn't work very well. Many texts are too long. And most of new texts are missing.

A found a bug : when you choose a repeat "every one week", it appears as "every one day" on the detail task screen. I think it is well stored in database because it's written "every one week" on the task list, ans it is OK on the web. But it is bad written (every 1 day) on the detail task screen.

If I find more issues, I will tell you.

Thanks for your job. Anyway, I will keep Toodledo !! :)

Alain.
stu.kruse

Score: 5 Reference
Hi,

Putting subjective preferences to one side, this latest redesign definitely brings some significant problems. I've watched the rating of ToodleDo on the iPhone app store rapidly decline as people use this as a mechanism to log their dissatisfaction. A lot of these comments seem to belong to the same category of 'you fixed something that wasn't broken'. They see the problems and not any of your new improvements. I imagine this must be a worry.

My main concern is with some fundamental bugs:
1) Responsiveness has suddenly become very poor - e.g. I can mark a task as done by clicking on the 'tickbox' icon next to the task and it just does't respond for ages (minutes before the tick appears to show it is doen). Clearly broken.

2) Important system defaults are being ignored - for example, I set my defaults so that I always see today's list and that new tasks are defaulted to TODAY. This always used to work fine. Now...it seems like a crap shoot. A new task is assigned any manner of odd defaults (tomorrow, 2 days from now, next week???) and my task list rarely defaults to showing TODAY's tasks. This can be very confusing if you don't keep an eye out.

These are not subjective preferences - they are 'show stoppers'. These two things alone are enough for me to now lose trust in the app to keep track of my important tasks. If the app doesn't behave consistently and properly, you can't trust it. TRUST is a key issue for any organiser app like a Task List or Calendar.

I really hope you get these basics fixed. I really can't see how these basic things didn't get spotted in your initial early testing. I always loved your app - now I'm worried I'm going to have to give it up (and I certainly can't recommend to friends).

Sorry to moan on this open forum, but I guess it is better than marking you down in the app store (and I can only submit one issue a day with your help system, which is pretty frustrating even though I understand why).

Good luck with fixing some of this stuff,
Stu
Mike

Score: -1 Reference
After a few days of using the new version.. I have to say that i like it very much...

As I stated earlier - a little more color would be a nice addition but overall I would say that you did a wonderful job!

Very appreciate of the active development of the product and of the responsiveness of jake to the end users.

You have created a very useful product and continue to make customers very happy!
helillourenco

I am very dissatisfied with the fact that I can't see "due time" in my lists. There is a lot of room in the new design occupied by, for instance, the "doesn't repeat" label that could be used for that.
Purveyor

Posted by Jake:
We consulted with some very good designers for this project and they made the suggestion (that we agreed with) that the most important part of a to-do list is the customer's data, and that the UI shouldn't distract from this data.
Who are these "very good designers"?
How many of your very good customers did you consult?

Also, what are the "over 100" improvements that you mention in the thread title? When you state a number, you should provide a list that confirms that number.
Saved Searches / Nested Subtasks / Full Collaboration / File Attachments
These features from our main website have been on our to-do list for the iPhone app for a long time. Too long, I admit it. We have had some difficulty with our iOS development pipeline this past year, but this update did a lot of work behind the scenes to clean things up and make future development quicker. These four features are at the top of our list and as soon as we get the bugs worked out we will release them to you.
1. Why has it been so long? Those features were requested three years ago.
2. If you've had some difficulty with your iOS development pipeline, why did you undertake a complete overhaul of the user interface?
3. You've been saying for a while that those features are near the top of the list. Given that the four features are now at the "top" of your list, does that mean that the next major update will include at least one of them?
4. How are you working out the bugs? Do you have any beta testers or are you relying solely on your inhouse team?

Meanwhile, Saved Searches, Nested Subtasks, and photo attachments are available in Pocket Informant, along with many options for customizing the appearance. Appigo's Todo has a very nice interface on the iPhone and is a great app if you don't use Start Dates, Goals and Sharing. Besides syncing with Toodledo, both apps offer Dropbox backup, along with syncing to their own task management website, but they don't yet offer the range of features available on Toodledo's website.

I've been using the Toodledo app from the day that it was introduced in 2008. I've tried many other task apps and I've kept coming back to Toodledo, mainly because of the robust syncing, and despite the user interface.

Yesterday, for the first time, I deleted the Toodledo app from my iPhone and my iPad. I doubt that I'll re-install it soon.

Alister Cruickshanks

Score: -1 Reference
I have now had the chance to properly look through the new app, and reinstall the iPad app to solve the task sync bug....which worked. This is my feedback...

iPhone app: absolutely fantastic, I found the old app very annoying and often ended up trying to use the full website by zooming around, the new iPhone app is spot on, the font size is perfect...PLEASE do not change the font size, it works well....instead maybe have the option for those who are complaining,

iPad app: totally dislike. Sorry, but I really don't like this one. My main complaint is the waste of space on the right hand side. I would much rather see tasks run the whole length of the screen and open up for more details like the iPhone. I also don't like the very cramped left hand option menu, why not have this bar able to be hidden but brought up as autohide? This menu bar only fills a quarter of the page height and again is a waste of space....I think the iPad app looks very odd. Also don't like the patterned background either. To be honest, I find the full website on the iPad much easier to navigate.

So, two different versions of the app, two opposite thoughts. Apart from a few iPhone bugs, that's all fine as far as I can see...but my view is the iPad app needs to be completely redesigned. Until then, I will use the website version instead on my iPad.

Alister
Tee7

I like the clean look of the app. Font size you've already addressed to be a future fix. Thanks for your hard work.
wanis

Another vote for adding "Context" back to the home screen.

On the Toodledo web page, I can view by "Due Date", "Sharing", "Calendar", "Context", "Priority", or "Search". (I don't have folders enabled.) But the iPhone app gives me a different set of options: view by "Priority", "Due Date", "Folder", or "Recent".

It would make sense to have the app present the same options as the website (and also to have the app be aware of which fields are enabled/disabled on Toodledo.com).
Jessica_

I agree that the new color scheme, font sizes and use of space are bad. The old app had a clean, bright interface that was pleasant to look at. This one is dim and muddy and depressing. The UI *IS* severely detracting from the data. I'm glad you all are going to work on it - I hope soon! I regret updating, and wish I had looked at the reviews first.

Why must the contexts in in the list have little @ signs next to them? Why must the dates added have a little square with a plus? These just add visual clutter without adding information.

JPR

Posted by wanis:
Another vote for adding "Context" back to the home screen.

On the Toodledo web page, I can view by "Due Date", "Sharing", "Calendar", "Context", "Priority", or "Search". (I don't have folders enabled.) But the iPhone app gives me a different set of options: view by "Priority", "Due Date", "Folder", or "Recent".

It would make sense to have the app present the same options as the website (and also to have the app be aware of which fields are enabled/disabled on Toodledo.com).

Settings > Fields & Defaults

You can drag anything into or out of "Fields Used"
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.