ForumsNewsiOS app update - 3.0.2

iOS app update - 3.0.2
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 01, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
If your app crashes, please submit a crash log to us for investigation.

http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=80
bcmyers

Score: 1 Reference
I was one of the more vocal critics of the first attempt to redesign the app, and I had publicly stated based on screenshots that I expected to dislike the second attempt at a redesign. I was wrong.

There are a few things design-wise I still don't like but the functionality is great. The app flows nicely, the UI is still very intuitive, and it's easy to use. I expect the bugs will be worked out and this app will ultimately be as rock-solid stable as the prior version.

Lesson learned: don't pre-judge. Props to Jake and the rest of the Toodledo team. You're still the reigning champs in the productivity app space.
Christoph Dollis

Posted by bcmyers:

I was one of the more vocal critics of the first attempt to redesign the app, and I had publicly stated based on screenshots that I expected to dislike the second attempt at a redesign. I was wrong.

There are a few things design-wise I still don't like but the functionality is great. The app flows nicely, the UI is still very intuitive, and it's easy to use. I expect the bugs will be worked out and this app will ultimately be as rock-solid stable as the prior version.

Lesson learned: don't pre-judge. Props to Jake and the rest of the Toodledo team. You're still the reigning champs in the productivity app space.

I'm not yet sure the new app is all that -- I note that the iPad users seem really put out by its design features (smaller buttons and whatnot) -- the iPhone users like myself, not so much (I guess we're used to it).

But ... the general philosophy of Toodledo in how it thinks about automatic task sorting with a large variety of options that can be turned on or off and such ... I remain a ProPlus subscriber for a reason. Toodledo has allowed me to design a system that really, really helps my life.

My system incorporates elements from other people's approaches (especially Reinhard Engels, Michael Linenberger, and Mark Forster), but it is highly-customized for me.

I am looking forward to seeing the new app run faster. :-P

This message was edited Mar 01, 2013.
kentpavelka

Posted by Jake:
If your app crashes, please submit a crash log to us for investigation.

http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=80

I am making this comment with all due respect, but why do you ask for crash logs when you haven't responded to the ones already sent? Or am I the only person to whom you've failed to reply? I sent you several a couple of days ago. I have a help ticket open that has been ignored for two days.
bcmyers

Posted by Christoph Dollis:

But ... the general philosophy of Toodledo in how it thinks about automatic task sorting with a large variety of options that can be turned on or off and such ... I remain a ProPlus subscriber for a reason. Toodledo has allowed me to design a system that really, really helps my life.

You hit the nail right on the head. Jake and his team really get it. Toodledo isn't as sexy as some other things I've tried but I don't have to think about how to use it. That frees up my mind to think about what I should be focusing on: my work.

I'm a GTD guy, through and through. The key with a good GTD system is that it should be so easy to use you can work it even when you're knocked on your butt with the flu. Toodledo fits the bill.

Basically, Toodledo goes anywhere I want it to and it reflects back at me what I need to know, when I need to know it. That's what a GTD trusted system is supposed to do, no more and no less.

As for the mobile app, I'm not trying to invalidate the experience of the iPad users at all. From what I've seen from playing with the new iPhone app, though, I like it.
f_murray

Score: 3 Reference
After deleting all completed tasks up to and including yesterday, deleting the Toodledo app from both my ipad as well as my itunes and syncing my ipad and downloading the app for the third time I finally have it working. This is the most difficult and frustrating upgrade I have seen on my ipad. Thanks to all for their responses.
Christoph Dollis

Posted by f_murray:

After deleting all completed tasks up to and including yesterday, deleting the Toodledo app from both my ipad as well as my itunes and syncing my ipad and downloading the app for the third time I finally have it working. This is the most difficult and frustrating upgrade I have seen on my ipad. Thanks to all for their responses.

You're welcome.
proffit17

Posted: Mar 02, 2013
ditto to many other comments Re:

- It’s now an order of magnitude slower

on my iPhone4.

How can I revert to previous, better version?
kentpavelka

Here's the bottom line for me. I do understand that by deleting completed tasks, that this "upgrade" will probably work on m iPad. However, I really don't want to do that IF there is a fix on the way soon that will allow me to keep my completed tasks. (I've dumped 1,000 of them already; that apparently wasn't enough, and I have no idea how many more I would need to delete anyway).

The simple question is: Is a fix on the way soon (and how soon) that will fix this without deleting this valuable information?

This app is not valuable to me if I have to dump all the old, completed tasks.
Christoph Dollis

Posted by kentpavelka:
Here's the bottom line for me. I do understand that by deleting completed tasks, that this "upgrade" will probably work on m iPad. However, I really don't want to do that IF there is a fix on the way soon that will allow me to keep my completed tasks. (I've dumped 1,000 of them already; that apparently wasn't enough, and I have no idea how many more I would need to delete anyway).

The simple question is: Is a fix on the way soon (and how soon) that will fix this without deleting this valuable information?

Now:
https://www.toodledo.com/tools/csv.php?completed=1

Later::
https://www.toodledo.com/tools/connect_csv.php
Christoph Dollis

Posted by profit17:
How can I revert to previous, better version?

Read the thread.
clarewoods

This upgrade is infuriatingly slow... is anything being done about that?
Christoph Dollis

Posted by clarewoods:
This upgrade is infuriatingly slow... is anything being done about that?
Yes.

Posted by Jake:
We have already improved list loading speed by about 3x and we are working on solving the iPad crash problems that a few people are having. We will also tweak a few fonts based on continued feedback. We will then send this to Apple for a (hopefully) quick approval.

We are working on this as fast as we can. Thanks for your patience and support.

This message was edited Mar 02, 2013.
Alan

Posted by Jake:
Posted by Alan:
AND, this is just a design change. There is no new functionality here.

We added a bunch of new functionality in this redesign. Quick-add, improved filters, iPad sidebar, faster subtask adding, html notes just to name a few. Here is the complete list: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/16121/-76545/read.html

Jake. Can you address the issue regarding the small size of buttons and menu items on iPad? Unless you have small fingers, it truly is difficult to accurately push on them. What is the reason why the app was designed this way, leaving so much unused real estate on the iPad screen?

This message was edited Mar 02, 2013.
kentpavelka

Posted: Mar 03, 2013
Posted by Christoph Dollis:
Posted by kentpavelka:

Now:
https://www.toodledo.com/tools/csv.php?completed=1

Later::
https://www.toodledo.com/tools/connect_csv.php
kentpavelka

What are you trying to tell me with the replies "Now" and "Later". This does not answer the SPECIFIC question I asked. Please be kind enough to answer. Thank you.
Christoph Dollis

Posted by kentpavelka:
What are you trying to tell me with the replies "Now" and "Later". This does not answer the SPECIFIC question I asked. Please be kind enough to answer. Thank you.
You can export and then delete many of your completed tasks then, when the app is working more efficiently, import them.

This message was edited Mar 03, 2013.
mark_1337909683

In terms of layout and appearance the new interface works well except for the color of action labels such as Done, Edit (New Note being off white changing with contact works)--they are grey to the point of almost appearing 'greyed out' (not functioning). When I press a button the color does not change and I'm never certain the app has received the command--particularly in light of the delayed response. I'm still usually 'looking' for the 'add a note' every time I wish to do so with it not being clear to me but that's something that would likely become familiar with use.

More importantly is the performance. Although not suffering the extreme sluggishness of the original revised version, this version is still markedly slow to respond compared to the interface you are replacing.

I've found this problem throughout Tasks. The Add Task button will not respond until after the app syncs and the sync does not occur immediately upon open (compared to the traditional interface). Attempting to search across Tasks is really awfully slow with the first letter of a search term not appearing after typing for a couple of seconds and then a slightly quicker but still delayed response on each successive typed letter.

Hope this helps--

Mark

francesholm

Score: 3 Reference
I have still not had the courage to download the upgrade. On reading all the above comments, I've decided to stick to the original version for the time being, or at least until I read that it has speeded up!
Fran H

Jake

Toodledo Founder
We submitted an update to Apple last thursday that contains a 3x speed up of loading lists. I have around 2000 tasks on my list and it now loads the "All tasks" list in under 2 seconds (it took 7 seconds before). This is on an iPad 3. Slower devices may be slower. When Apple approves this update, it will be available. Meanwhile we are working on more speed improvements and other fixes.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.