f_murray

Posted: Feb 26, 2013
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by Purveyor:
gav, a new version was introduced on November 29:
Version 3.0

It was withdrawn on December 11:
Toodledo downgraded.

Yes, and then "Upgraded.... " on or about 02/25/13. Mine doesn't work anymore on my iPad! I am not impressed.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 0 Reference
Our primary focus now is on improving performance of loading very large lists and on fixing the crash that some people are experiencing on iPad. If you have trouble with the app, please try the following steps and post a support ticket so that we can assist you.

http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=80
mannysidhu_1339629...

Score: 2 Reference
Hi. The new app keeps showing me future tasks. I have the button pushed to hide future tasks, but it doesn't work. Recurring tasks seem messed up to. Whenever I check the box that I completed this weeks recurring task, next weeks task pops up in the overdue category. I use this app daily, please go back to the old one!!
Joyce

Yikes! I'm glad I hung fire on this. I'll be watching.
bobpete95

Score: -1 Reference
I like the update but is there anyway that we can choose the colors for Priority?
jeremiah.moss

Posted: Feb 27, 2013
Score: -3 Reference
Oh, the number of people who will never be satisfied :(.

I do expect that any performance issues and bugs will be fixed soon enough. There's no reason to think they won't.

(Note: I do not work for Toodledo, all of this is my opinion)

lukepiasecki76 made an interesting post on page 2, my thoughts:

"Today’s release solidified the feeling I had at the time – our responses were brushed off and ignored. "

Problem is, many people ask for many things, and often what they ask for is contradictory to each other. As the saying goes, you can't satisfy everybody all of the time.

Also, there is a limit to how many things you can get done. Some things take priority and get done first, while others are lower priority and will get done later.

"Information overload and visual clusterf*ck"

Well, Toodledo has always leaned in the direction of power over simplicity. The bad news is that more power often equals more clutter. The good news is that you can set which fields are visible and which aren't in the settings. You can get quite a clean view if you only use one or two fields.

There's also the issue of what do you make important, the amount of white space, or the number of items? If you increase whitespace, that makes less items visible, and if you increase the number of items visible, that makes for less whitespace. There will likely never be complete agreement on the precise balance.

"Icons are still around."

I agree to some extent. Icons do add to the clutter.

Although some people who are visual will like them.

They are really simple, monochrome icons. I don't find them to be ugly.

"Redundancy…"

Agreed, they still have some work to do. They've done a lot to reduce redundancy since the last attempt, though.

"Data fields are still padded with useless information."

If this is true (I don't use those particular fields), then agreed.

"An iconic example of your abysmal design taste is the whole implementation of adding a task… We have a button which seems to be offset for no reason"

Which button? I'm not actually following most of this description.

"Another one is the color matching or the lack of, with the bluish bar up at the top and the Toodledo logo (top of the screen in settings) that just looks like an amateur and unprofessional job. It’s overdone and ugly. The gradient baby blue color doesn't fit with anything else on the screen."

You can blame those who complained about the lack of color for this. This is one of those instances where not everybody agrees. You may hate the bluish bar, but many people liked it and wanted it back.

"Since you obviously see no benefit in creating a user experience that folks actually want and because mine and others’ feedback has been completely ignored"

I don't think they've ignored people at all. It's just impossible to satisfy everybody, and there's only so much they can do. Personally, I'm actually impressed they reverted the app and went back to fix things. Very few businesses have the backbone to say "oops, my bad" and I respect them for that.

Anyhoo, I personally have a couple of issues with the current design:

1) The constant reminder to re-sort the list. Please, make it stop. Either make it completely automatic or completely manual. Add some options to the settings if you must.

2) Please add the ability to remind you when you *leave* a location, as the current reminders app is capable of. I find I actually use that functionality of reminders.
DannyWissen

Just updated, just swiped through my tasks and get a little feeling for the app.
I've got to admit: I love it! Great work!
reptile55

I don't mind the new UI although do find it a bit slower, hopefully it will improve. I am disappointed that there is little new functionality though. I would have preferred more effort spent on enhanced features such as:

- auto updating task list when a task is edited (currently have to manually refresh view)
- remember sort order per folder, not just a single global sort order
- better display of nested tasks
- some drag and drop functionality for reordering tasks like the website
- setting for default date input (I always use calendar view so have to click 3 time whenever editing a date)

Anyway still think its the best solution for my needs.

Craig
listuser

I liked the old interface from 3.0.1. But that's just how I see it. Version 3.0.2 looks more like the webpage so obviously the work will now be focused on the new layout. Fair enough.

So here's my question: In the 3rd Party Directory are quite a lot of Toodledo-compatible Alternatives. Do some of these Apps imitate the old behaviour or layout from Version 3.0.1? Would be really helpful for me. :)
mannysidhu_1339629...

I posted earlier about the new app showing my future apps. I now see the app does not allow me to add a start date to a task I am adding. This is the problem. The web site allows me to add a start date and then if I hide future tasks, the task will not show up until the start date. So the web version still works perfect, it's just the app does not work the way I want. I have the 2DO app which syncs with Toodledo and allows me to filter the way I want. Unfortunate...
viaixtapa

Score: -2 Reference
Quite happy with "update: the sequel"
Thank you for giving us the old version while you reworked and addressed all of the concerns.
One suggestion for future versions - could you allow for a task to have multiple folders and/or contexts? I used multiple categories a LOT in Outlook and would like that option here.
jeremiah.moss

"I now see the app does not allow me to add a start date to a task I am adding."

Settings -> Fields & Defaults. Make sure it's set as a field that's used.
northside.mobile

As I browse every other task management app in the app store it is obvious why there has been such an uprising. They all look and feel quite similar (so does the previous 3.0.1 version of this app). It's a look and feel that we are all used to and it is the reason why we use iOS. I encourage the devs to look at Things, Wunderlist, Nozbe, ToDo... I admit that I'm a total geek when it comes to mobile computing but this app now looks like something I would find on Android (or windows XP); not to say that Android is terrible but, when designing an app I think it is important to tailor it to the OS and not try to have one design that fits onto all OS's.
Dfwjimbo

Score: 4 Reference
I love Toodledo, however the "new" UI redesign is back and I hated it then, and I hate it now. I want my blue iPhone Toodledo App back. The new grey one is awful and has no appeal. The parts of the app to touch to go into the menus are smaller and harder to use. Bring back the classic-feel, or I'll have to dump this like I originally planned and start using the sh*tty iPhone Reminders app.
Derek-YP

Score: 4 Reference
I'm sorry, but the re-redesign isn't much of an improvement.

My main complaints:
1) App start up time is much slower, making it frustrating to quickly check or add tasks (I have ~1700 tasks in my home account)
2) Folders and Tags are my most frequently used sections of the app, but these get tiny buttons compared to All Tasks, Hotlist, and Starred (which are my least frequently used sections). There is lots of vertical space for the side buttons - why not make them all equally sized? [I'm using an iPad Mini]
3) The items in the Folders and Tags lists are pretty small - not too small to read, but too small to function as buttons. The older version worked much better by giving these lists the working space of the entire sidebar.

This message was edited Feb 27, 2013.
Christoph Dollis

I do expect that any performance issues and bugs will be fixed soon enough.
I hope you're right because that's the most important thing.

sam

Glad I came to the forums first before upgrading the Toodledo app on my original iPad to the new version again. The app works fine/smooth/fast on it now (with the "old" look/style/version). The first time the new upgrade was pushed out - it never worked, always crashed or was super slow and sluggish.

I don't mind the new UI changes - they are different - but I'll get used to it.

Love Toodledo. Mostly use the web app on a desktop, but I've also got an iPhone with the app and the iPad. Hard to use the app on the iPad though when it doesn't work.
claudef708

I have an iPhone 5 with iOS 6.1 and 900 tasks. The new rev level is slow. Especially during the search.
Purveyor

The more I use the new version, the more I see some strange design elements.

The "View Task by" fields are small, they have poor contrast, and they are not intuitive: Tap on the row to see the 5 recent selections in order of most recent, and tap on the arrow to see all. Not obvious what does what, but, fine, you learn, right? Except the lists of Priority, Due Date and Recent don't work that way -- you get the same list whether you tap the row or the arrow. So you'd think that maybe the rule is: For fields that have custom entries (like Context, Folders, Tags, Location and Goals), there's a difference between tapping on the row and tapping on the arrow. But, look at Status, which doesn't allow custom entries: All you see is "Next Action, Active, and Planning" if you tap on the row, and the list doesn't change based on what you chose previously. Confusing.

Of course, all of this could be less confusing if the app offered Saved Searches that synced with the website. Then there'd be no need to drill down to get what you want. Just a list of frequently-used Saved Searches at the top, with everything else relegated below.

Also, how about displaying the color for each item in the list of Priorities? Yes, it would be more work to program , given that you don't use color in the other lists (maybe you should?) but it would be a nice use of color that complements the Priority triangle.

And, speaking of the Priority triangle, how about allowing users to click on it to change the priority, similar to how a task can be Starred? Well, actually, it is poorly placed for any interactivity. In any case, it would require "tap-and-hold", which doesn't exist anywhere in the app even though it is used in several other task management and calendar apps.

There are buttons with dark blue on light blue on a slightly lighter blue background. A bit jarring in comparison to the rest of the app. I know that the first revised version did not have blue and I think that it was a mistake to add it to the current version, given that it is not integrated into the overall design.

The overall functionality of the app is good and the website/app syncing is great, but there are several website features that are missing in the app. Conversely, it is strange that Jake refers to website guidelines (W3C and WCAG 2.0) when designing an iOS app.

One more thing: It would be a good idea to have a Home button at the bottom of screen so that you can quickly get back to the main screen.

kentpavelka

So what's the latest on this? The ticket I started regarding this problem was responded to but no real help provided. Toodledo useless on my Ipad 2.

Posted by Jake:
Our primary focus now is on improving performance of loading very large lists and on fixing the crash that some people are experiencing on iPad. If you have trouble with the app, please try the following steps and post a support ticket so that we can assist you.

http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=80
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.