New Section: Lists
We are making really good progress on the update to the iOS app. Only the Tasks section is left to finish.
Posted by coolexplorer:
I agree that the TD compartmentalization / silos are preventing powerful use of the central Tasks module. Thank God for the in-line Notes in Tasks wherein one can make small notes, lists, etc.
If in a TD re-design Outlines, Lists and Habits and also Goals could be properly integrated into Tasks it would be much more powerful and more used.
Yes! I absolutely agree with this. That is probably my biggest frustration with TD...we have these wonderful modules Notes, Outlines, Lists and Habits and yet they are almost completely disconnected from the Tasks. There are so many ways these could be integrated! I'd love to be able to create a grand outline for a project and enable certain tasks in that outline show up in the Tasks module. I'd love to be able to create a Task that integrated a checklist or reading list from the List module. I'd love to be able to have select habits show up as tasks in the Task module at appropriate times. The notes module still isn't quite powerful enough to replace Onenote or Evernote, mostly for lack of better formatting options and it's really the only module I'm not quite clear how it would integrate with Tasks, but I know there are times where I'd like to see a summary of my projects including tasks, attachments and independent notes. TD's Task module is the absolute workhorse of task managers. These other modules should make that even more so once they're integrated. Without that integration, I pretty much ignore them.
Well put, jamezzz! I will never be using the Notes module, as One Note is my favourite, but outlines, lists and habits are hiding so much potential...
Any idea when the feature "Resetting Checkboxes in Lists" will be rolled out? This would be extremely useful for lists that I use over and over.
The biggest boost to Notes module would be the ability to sync notes with Dropbox or other services as plaintext files.
Hi guys, newbie on the forum, but longtime TD and GTD user.
I'm participating both in the web beta and Android beta. This is about lists. I've searched around and hope not to get burned with something that came up 100 times, but:
Bug on Android App:
- Sorting does not work consistently. I've created a shopping list with four columns (title, qtd, category, done). Sorting by done - category - title doesn't order by any apparent criterion. It seems to work only when redrawing the screen/talking to server, after switching apps.
- Sorting icons are reversed. At least to a programmer, the down arrow means "descending", so Z-A. The result is A-Z.
- The back button is implemented very inconsistently. The left arrow will bring up the side menu instead of going back, and with the side menu expanded, "back" will not close it but navigate in the underlying application layer.
- on some screens, the Android back button cancels (adding an item to a list), on others it confirms (picking a category for a list item).
- A close button on the navigation drawer would be nice, instead of just clicking somewhere outside.
- It would be awesome if you could duplicate lists with their contents, not just the structure.
- integration of lists and tasks, as said above, would make lists 200% more useful!
Thanks for the bug reports. We will investigate.
I'll add to the chorus- in order for lists capability truly functional for me I need the 'uncheck all' or reset option. Thanks!
Here's my feedback on Task. Note I'm doing this on Chrome on a Win 7 laptop
Review Comments (mostly on the calendar view, which I live in)
* The calendar bar needs to be resizeable as it is pretty big...the dots system was great, and allowed a compact display
* There is a noticeable lag
* At present I don't like the double click to select one day in the calendar view. But I admit that being able to select two days may be useful.
* In calendar view, the "jump to today" button was really useful. Maybe keep it?
* Changing the date on a task is slower than it was...i just to be able to just click on a date and press "t" and it would change the date to today. Now I have to click and wait, and sometimes it gets stuck. The animation for the menus slows things down too. It adds up when I'm reviewing tasks and assigning dates one at a time
* I'm still keen to have sub-summaries of the time calculated by priority rather than just the total of all tasks
I'll keep using it and see how it goes...please don't get rid of the old interface JUST yet!
Note that you can select any number of days, not just "two days". Quite useful to have an overview of the current week, the next week-end, the planned holidays, etc.
I don't notice the lag you mention. Others have reported it, but it seems to depend, maybe on how powerful your computer is, and/or your browser.
Posted: 14 hrs and 47 mins ago
Score: 1 Reference
If I may, I'd like to add a few things / suggestions that I'd love to see happen in the TASK module sometime(ish) - like you guys don't have anything much to do already. It's possibly worth a shot, (fingers crossed!);
1. In the case of a task and its sub-tasks, would it be possible to have an option to make the parent task stylised or highlighted to make it stand out so it is easier to see a parent task on a page where everything looks similar?
2. Would it be possible to add and modify Tags in a similar way that Contexts are? What might be even better would be to add and modify Tags just like Folders are. This would be a big help.
3. Would it be possible to include Folders in the Filter Options feature. I know that Contexts and Tags are already included in this feature, but having Folders there too would be a huge help in fine tuning a customised filter.
4. This is a bit of a more advanced request, but I think it would help wonders. In relation to the Length field would it be possible to have the following features included;
a. Auto calculate the Length value of a task when a Start Date/Time value and Due Date/Time value are entered.
b. Auto calculate the Start Date/Time of a task when a Length value and Due Date/Time value are entered.
c. Auto calculate the Due Date/Time of a task when a Length value and Start Date/Time value are entered.
In relation to the point #4, if all three values (Length, Start Date/Time and Due Date/Time) for a task are already populated, then there will need to be an option in the settings page to lock one of the values so any change in value of the other two will cause a change in the third value (if that makes sense).
5. In the case of a task and its sub-tasks, would it be possible to auto calculate the Length value of a parent task by adding up all of the child task Length values?
6. In the case of a task and its sub-tasks, would it be possible to auto populate the Start Date/Time and Due Date/Time of the parent task to match the earliest Start Date/Time and the latest Due Date/Time of the child tasks group / population?
7. In the case of a task and its sub-tasks, if a parent task has a particular Repeat setting, would it be possible to automatically make all of its child tasks match the Repeat setting of its parent so none of the child tasks won't disappear for good once they've been completed?
8. On a final request... would it be possible to make the left hand side column a tad wider? Could you at least make this on option in the settings page - to make the left hand column wider? A little more room for longer descriptions would be a big help.
This message was edited 14 hrs and 3 mins ago.
Posted: 2 hrs and 9 mins ago
Thanks for the suggestions. We do not comment on timeframes for implementation, but these are on our to-do list.
You cannot reply yet
U Back to topic home
R Post a reply
To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.