ForumsNewsLocations, Reverse Sort, and More

Locations, Reverse Sort, and More
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 25, 2010
Score: 2 Reference
We have been working very hard over the last several months to bring you this important update to Toodledo.

Locations
You can now assign tasks to a location. These locations will be plotted on a map so you can visually see where your tasks are located. You can group and sort your tasks by location to quickly see what needs to get done, wherever you are.

You can also sort your tasks by their distance from your current location to see what you can do nearby. If your web browser is location aware, it will automatically update with your current location, otherwise, you can set it manually.

Location is enabled on our main website, our mobile website, and our import/export tools. Coming soon to the iPhone and Firefox Addon.

To enable locations, visit your account settings and edit the "Fields Used" section.

Bi-directional Sort
It is now possible to sort your lists in either direction. Want to see tasks sorted by due-date with oldest at the top? Now you can. Just click on the column titles to change the sort direction when in column view. In multi-line view, each time you click the sort button in the toolbar it will change directions.

Collaboration Bug Fixes
Adding a task to a collaborator's list via the search page will now work. Also, it is now possible to change the view format (grid vs multi-line) when viewing a collaborator's list.

Toolbar Improvements
The state of the toolbars (filters, sort, quick search, collaborators) will now be remembered between views, so if you always want the sort toolbar to be open, Toodledo will remember this so you don't have to get opening it each time you refresh the page.

Keyboard shortcuts
We have added three more keyboard shortcuts for those of you with keyboard shortcuts enabled in your account settings.
1) Control+Command+* will now toggle the star when adding a new task.
2) ESC will now cancel a quick-search.
3) X will now take you to the new location view.

Bug fixes / Improvements
1) It is now possible to add foldrs/contexts/goals/locations on the fly via the "Add Multiple Tasks" page.
2) SMS reminders will no longer be missing the task name for some cell phone carriers that had previously been omitting it.
3) Pages will now load quicker due to extensive server optimizations.
4) Numerous other minor bugs and corrections.
TheGriff_2

Score: 1 Reference
Sounds like a great update! I was wondering that that new Locations area was when I logged in this morning. Thanks for the hard work!
Transisto (redemption)

Score: 1 Reference
EPIC update, honestly.
Claudio

Score: 0 Reference
Posted by Toodledo:
If your web browser is location aware, it will automatically update with your current location, otherwise, you can set it manually.
Interesting new feature.

I can set my location in Chrome but not in Firefox. I get this: "Google has disabled use of the Maps API for this application. The client id provided is not valid for this site."

Also, the way of manually selecting the current location seems strange. From Help:
Picking Current Location
You can set your current location from the "Current Location" box on the Location Management page. There are two options: Auto and Manual. If you select "Auto" and if your web browser is location aware, it can automatically update to indicate your current position. Otherwise, you can set your current location manually by dropping a pin onto a map. Your current location is used for calculating distances to tasks, as described in the next section.
It seems to me that my current location is likely to be one of the locations that I've already defined, so, if "Auto" doesn't work, shouldn't I be able to just select one of those locations as my current location instead of navigating in the map?

ETA: I see that the problem above was because of encryption. FWIW, the Auto location is about a mile from my actual location. (I realize that this is not caused by Toodledo but is a limitation of determining a location from an IP address.) And, I realize the greatest value will be when using Toodledo from a mobile device.

This message was edited Aug 25, 2010.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We have just fixed the bug that was causing the "Google has disabled use of the Maps API for this application." error when using an https connection to Toodledo. It turns out that Google doesn't allow the maps to be encrypted, so we just encrypt everything else except for the maps.
Andrew

Locations huh? I was thinking about doing the same thing in an application I am building, but have not looked into it yet. It is really something that takes months of debugging?
Salgud

Sounds nice! Unfortunately, neither Bi-directional sorting or Locations are working on my computer here at work. Bidir sort just doesn't work, when I click on the Sort button, the Sort bar displays or hides, same as before.

When I try to set my location manually, I just get an "Error on Page" message at the bottom of my browser.

Maybe it's because we're stuck with an old version - IE 7.0.5730.13?

EDIT: Went back and tried the bi-directional sorting again, this time with a Due Date sort, and it worked. I had tried it sorting on Priority and Importance, so I gather it only works on date-based criteria?

Claudio

Posted by Salgud:
Went back and tried the bi-directional sorting again, this time with a Due Date sort, and it worked. I had tried it sorting on Priority and Importance, so I gather it only works on date-based criteria?
It works with any field.
Or, at least, on my computer it does.
Andrew A

Awesome! Now to see if we can tie location and context together... (it just never ends with friggin users).

@Andrew
Its easy once you know... read the Google and Yahoo API available and tie a small test to any scripting lang you know!

Hmmm.... Unknown (GPS unavailable) message even after sharing location. And it doesn't seem to set manually yet either....

Hmmmm location value not remembered in Location view (it is blank as if the location was never selected) https://www.toodledo.com/views/location.php actually in all views. Might have to do with GPS issue above?

Salgud

Tried most all the fields I'm using, and got it to sort on all but Importance. Don't know what I did to prevent it from sorting on Priority before.

Jake

Toodledo Founder
You might have just had to refresh the page to get the new sorting javascript code.
Kurt

Awesome update! Can't wait for the iPhone app update.
robin

Thank you so much!
johnwin

Posted by Kurt:
Awesome update! Can't wait for the iPhone app update.

Any idea when the iPhone app will be updated? I've been looking forward to a location aware iPhone app since the 3G launch (similar to the OmniFocus app has at it's launch).

I realize that Apple take as long as they choose to take but it would be nice to know when it is submitted to them for approval.

Thanks.

PeterW 

Posted by Toodledo:
Bug fixes / Improvements
2) SMS reminders will no longer be missing the task name for some cell phone carriers that had previously been omitting it.

Confirmed that this is now working for me (in Australia using www.smsglobal.com's email-2-SMS gateway to my iPhone which is on the Telstra network).

Thanks!
andrew.yeh.10

Posted by Toodledo:

3) Pages will now load quicker due to extensive server optimizations.

Very nice update! I can confirm #3. Toodledo was already very fast on firefox, but now its fast on chrome too.
Boxin

Really awesome, that's what I like about Toodledo, responsive to the community feedback. Using ESC to quit quick search has sped up my productivity. By the way, it'll be great to have another shortcut to open/close individual divider, not to collapse/expand all, pretty much like what we have in Google Reader ("Enter" to close/open one item, "J" or "K" to move to next/previous item), if you've used it, you may know what I mean. It's not good to be greedy, but hope that shortcut can be considered & realized in the future as well:) Thanks for the effort!

brevious

Posted: Aug 26, 2010
Hi,

Could we set location distance units to Kilometers instead of miles ?

Thanks.

Keep the good work.

Fabien FR.
apastuszak

Are you planning to add these features to the API?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Yes, we will be adding location to the API soon so that third-party apps can take advantage of location.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.