ForumsGetting Things Done®Appigo Todo now better for GTD

Appigo Todo now better for GTD
cjuzda

Posted: Feb 18, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
@Proximo,

I've already requested the option of having Starred tasks on the badge instead of focus list plus the Status Date. If we keep pushing them on this, I'm sure it will happen - Complete agreement that as far as iphone apps for GTD, it is the very best right now

Chris
mco

Posted: Feb 19, 2010
Can somebody explain to me what's so great about Appigo Todo? It's pretty, sure, but I hate the way you have to think about Context AND Folder AND Tags. I prefer viewing by Context OR Folder OR Tag. It doesn't support all of Toodledo's functionality, and the fields it does support you can't hide. From a GTD point of view, putting projects on context lists with next actions hidden inside removes some of the point of having simple next actions on context lists. I really prefer the Toodledo app, although I do wish it had an easy way to jump past nested menus.
cjuzda

Posted: Feb 20, 2010
I'm not sure what you mean about contexts, tags and folders, ToDo lets you quickly filter any view by context and or tags so if you want to see tasks by context, it's a one click filter from any view, including all or some or one folder(s). If you're talking about being able to filter so that a task with tag x OR context y OR Folder z, shows up, to me that's counter intuitive and not really following GTD. It's not abut being "pretty", For me, anyway, it's about having the cleanest, fastest UI without a bunch of extra stuff, that's not GTD anyway. There is nothing wrong with Toodledo's app at this point but I think it kind of reflects that it was designed to FOLLOW the web app on the iphone where ToDo was designed with the iphone in mind FIRST. Also, if you use projects ToDo is obviously better at handling them.

Actually, for the iphone folks ToDo is not considered pretty at all, 2Do is much "prettier" :)
Proximo

Posted: Feb 22, 2010
@mco,

The best way I can describe it is this.

Toodledo is a powerful and feature rich Web Application/Service that is designed for managing your Productivity. Toodledo is not designed for GTD but its an open platform that can work for many different productivity styles, to include your own custom setup.

Todo is an iPhone app that is designed for the GTD Productivity system and it can sync with Toodledo.

This makes Todo a great GTD Layer over a powerful Toodledo engine.

For GTD users, the workflow and look of GTD is one of the things that make it such a great Productivity choice. Todo gives us the UI and simplicity of GTD while using the powerful Toodledo engine.

They work great together, especially if you setup Toodledo in a similar fashion to my setup. It's not the only setup that works, but it does mimic the GTD flow in the Todo app very well.

In GTD it's very useful to see a list by multiple context. Context can be a Resource, Location or Area of Interest.

If I wanted to filter my task to only show my Personal task, I can filter by @Personal. But it's also useful to filter further by another criteria. Let's say I am leaving the house and wanted to know what personal task require me to run errands. GTD was designed for you to easily filter not only by @Personal but also @Errands. Now you have a filtered list of the things you care about at that time and location.

Because Toodledo does not support multiple context at the time, I use tags for my resource context list and I use the normal context in Toodledo as my location specific context.

In the Todo app, I can now easily filter by @Personal (context) and @Errand (Tag).

I find this to be very useful. The Toodledo app can accomplish this as well and the new context/tag filter system is great.

The reason I like to use Todo is because the UI is simple, nice to work with and caters to GTD work flow.

This is just my personal reasons.

This message was edited Feb 22, 2010.
PeterW 

Posted: Feb 23, 2010
Posted by cjuzda:
Actually, for the iphone folks ToDo is not considered pretty at all, 2Do is much "prettier" :)

For me, Appigo Todo provides a good blend of ease of use, clean interface yet powerful use of features. I know that Toodledo on the iPhone provides more granular control and more features than Todo but I think it's at the cost of usability. Just my $0.02 worth.
Proximo

Posted: Feb 23, 2010
Posted by PeterW:
Posted by cjuzda:

For me, Appigo Todo provides a good blend of ease of use, clean interface yet powerful use of features. I know that Toodledo on the iPhone provides more granular control and more features than Todo but I think it's at the cost of usability. Just my $0.02 worth.

I agree. A simple interface allows me to focus on getting things done and not messing around with so many options.
cjuzda

Posted: Feb 25, 2010
I've also purchased Appigo's Notebook for iphone which syncs to Toodledo Notebook and enables you to create a Task from a Note or create a Note from a Task. It works well if you use the Notebook functionality in TD. If you just need a good Note taking app for the iphone, there are lots of cheaper options that work as well or even better but the ability to interface with ToDo and sync with TD is very useful
mco

Posted: Feb 28, 2010
Posted by cjuzda:
I'm not sure what you mean about contexts, tags and folders, ToDo lets you quickly filter any view by context and or tags so if you want to see tasks by context, it's a one click filter from any view, including all or some or one folder(s). If you're talking about being able to filter so that a task with tag x OR context y OR Folder z, shows up, to me that's counter intuitive and not really following GTD. It's not abut being "pretty", For me, anyway, it's about having the cleanest, fastest UI without a bunch of extra stuff, that's not GTD anyway. There is nothing wrong with Toodledo's app at this point but I think it kind of reflects that it was designed to FOLLOW the web app on the iphone where ToDo was designed with the iphone in mind FIRST. Also, if you use projects ToDo is obviously better at handling them.

If I am viewing things by context and wish to switch to viewing by folder, it's a multi-step process. I have missed important information in Appigo todo because I did not realize at the time that a context was also being filtered by folder. In other words, I don't find the UI fast and clean, but clumsy.

The same holds for projects: I don't want to see a project on a context list, and have to go inside the project to see next actions.
Terry

Has anyone figured a way to have the Todo app's 'Inbox' sync with a Toodledo 'Inbox' folder, as per Proximo's setup. It seems that anything in the Todo 'Inbox' shows up in the 'No folder' section of Toodledo.

If there is no workaround then I guess I will have to start using the Toodledo 'No folder' to act as my inbox.

Any suggestions anyone?
PeterW 

Posted by Terry:
Has anyone figured a way to have the Todo app's 'Inbox' sync with a Toodledo 'Inbox' folder, as per Proximo's setup. It seems that anything in the Todo 'Inbox' shows up in the 'No folder' section of Toodledo.

If there is no workaround then I guess I will have to start using the Toodledo 'No folder' to act as my inbox.

Any suggestions anyone?

No, that's the way it is at the moment. Toodledo's No Folder = Appigo's Inbox. A few of us have asked if we can have a feature that lets us rename No Folder to Inbox. Maybe one day.
Proximo

Maybe one day......
cjuzda

Posted: Mar 01, 2010
I agree on your last point and the ability to see tasks instead of projects has been requested by several users - we'll have to disagree on the UI, to me it is much cleaner and faster than Toodledo for iphone and switching to view by folders is not "Multi step" - The list name and context being viewed are very prominently displayed at the top of the screen so I don't see how you can miss it

Chris

Posted by mco:
Posted by cjuzda:

If I am viewing things by context and wish to switch to viewing by folder, it's a multi-step process. I have missed important information in Appigo todo because I did not realize at the time that a context was also being filtered by folder. In other words, I don't find the UI fast and clean, but clumsy.

The same holds for projects: I don't want to see a project on a context list, and have to go inside the project to see next actions.
Terry

Posted by Terry:

Any suggestions anyone?

What I've ended up doing is: in Todo, I set a new task default (in settings) to create in my version of 'Inbox', as originated in Toodledo. This way, my Todo version of 'Inbox' sync's with Toodledo's 'Inbox', and vice versa. All this means is in Todo, Todo's version of inbox, the one that sits at the top of the screen, becomes redundant. Haven't found a way of hiding it.

Hope this makses sense.
Proximo

I changed my Inbox folder back to No Folder because the default to Inbox did now work across the board. Only items created on the site.

How hard could it be to allow the rename of a folder?

I bet if a poll was taken, that most people would prefer Inbox over No Folder. Having the option to name it what you want would be the best solution.
PeterW 

Posted by Proximo:
I changed my Inbox folder back to No Folder because the default to Inbox did now work across the board. Only items created on the site.

How hard could it be to allow the rename of a folder?

I bet if a poll was taken, that most people would prefer Inbox over No Folder. Having the option to name it what you want would be the best solution.

I agree.

Unfortunately, Jake has put quite a low priority on this:
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/4671/-24955/inbox-request-option-to-rename-no-folder.html
davidholliday

Posted by PeterW:
I agree.

Unfortunately, Jake has put quite a low priority on this:
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/4671/-24955/inbox-request-option-to-rename-no-folder.html

That's a shame since the inbox is a rather important part of GTD and I don't like having those loose items floating around.
Proximo

Posted: Mar 04, 2010
I know this won't sound very nice but it's the truth.

Just about everything in Toodledo to work for GTD is a hack. Toodledo has so many features that you can hack it to work for just about anything to include GTD.

Toodledo is simply not designed for GTD and this is why it is difficult to use and very hard for it to be configured as a great GTD application.

Many people use Toodledo in different ways and it's more of an open system model.

This message was edited Mar 04, 2010.
Lucky FLIP

Posted: Mar 05, 2010
Posted by Proximo:
I know this won't sound very nice but it's the truth.

Just about everything in Toodledo to work for GTD is a hack. Toodledo has so many features that you can hack it to work for just about anything to include GTD.

Toodledo is simply not designed for GTD and this is why it is difficult to use and very hard for it to be configured as a great GTD application.

Many people use Toodledo in different ways and it's more of an open system model.

Proximo,

This is both a good and a bad thing. No worries for me though. Your GTD setup is all I need
patrick.adamek

Posted: Mar 07, 2010
Hello Everybody,

i just started using Toodledo on the basis of the Proximo setup.

@Proximo: Thanks for sharing your setup. It is really great.

I am using this as a basis. I don´t use the star function. Instead my Next Actions folder holds all my Next Actions. This includes the project related Next Actions. I realize this by assigning the subtask another folder (the Next Actions Folder) than the parent task (it is assigned to the projects folder). I know by using this "method" i have to change the flattened and indented filter for subtasks to show up in my Next Actions folder. But this is ok for me because i only have to use the indented view during the weekly review. So i don´t have to switch often.

I am writing this here because there is an issue when using ToDo with this concept. It seems that ToDo does not support that subtasks reside in another folder than the parent task. if i sync with Toodledo the ToDo App changes the folder of the subtask back to the folder of the parent. the result is that the "project next actions" disappear from my next actions lists. this is a killer for me. i also think ToDo has a nicer interface but ill use the Toodledo app because is saves the integrity of my data.

Has anyone of you also realized this? Thanks four your reply and best regards
Patrick
Terry

Posted: Mar 08, 2010
Posted by patrick.adamek:
Hello Everybody,

i just started using Toodledo on the basis of the Proximo setup.

@Proximo: Thanks for sharing your setup. It is really great.

I am using this as a basis. I don´t use the star function. Instead my Next Actions folder holds all my Next Actions. This includes the project related Next Actions. I realize this by assigning the subtask another folder (the Next Actions Folder) than the parent task (it is assigned to the projects folder). I know by using this "method" i have to change the flattened and indented filter for subtasks to show up in my Next Actions folder. But this is ok for me because i only have to use the indented view during the weekly review. So i don´t have to switch often.

I am writing this here because there is an issue when using ToDo with this concept. It seems that ToDo does not support that subtasks reside in another folder than the parent task. if i sync with Toodledo the ToDo App changes the folder of the subtask back to the folder of the parent. the result is that the "project next actions" disappear from my next actions lists. this is a killer for me. i also think ToDo has a nicer interface but ill use the Toodledo app because is saves the integrity of my data.

Has anyone of you also realized this? Thanks four your reply and best regards
Patrick

I've just noticed this too so thanks for the tip off Patrick. My scenario is I want to move a sub task of a project to my 'Waiting For' folder, but when I sync it just goes back to being in the 'Project' folder. I too am using Todo.

Can anyone think of a workaround otherwise this a big restriction because there will often be reasons to want to have a sub task associated with a different folder?
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.