ForumsNewsToodledo Redesign - July 2011

Toodledo Redesign - July 2011
Gordon

Posted: Jul 26, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
Been a user for 2 years now. I'll post my in depth feedback later, but from a first quick brush, it seems better, and faster to navigate. That drop-down on the far right in the old setup, to get More Folders, man, that was kludgy.

Looks good so far, keep up the good work. I extol the virtues of Toodledo to everyone I talk to about productivity.

Everything you need, nothing you don't.

You can have that for ad copy for free.

Katou
Fabiano.

Score: 3 Reference
The new design is very nice, and much better in many aspects. But something are not good yet, here is my input on what would be more critical to change for now:

- 3 clicks to change most of tasks' properties is too much:
Many properties are changeable via a combobox and for these you need 3 clicks to change; instead of the combo, you display nicer renderized view of the value, which is very nice indeed, the problem is to change the values: first you need to click on the value to display the combo, then click on the combo to expand the values list, then select the value. I believe you could achieve a win-win situation by automatically displaying the combo on the mouse hover, then the user would need just two clicks to change the value and still see the nicer renderized view of the value when not editing.
I have hundreds of tasks and I change their properties a lot, on less click would make a huge difference.

- More distinctive colours: I understand that a theme functionality is underway, but on the actual colorscheme everything looks the same, the tasks are not differentiated by priority and the dividers could be more distinctive as well. The notes icon blends with the rest, I cannot easily see anymore which tasks have notes.

- Hide side bar! C'mon, we shouldn't be needing to horizontally scroll on 1280px screen!

Ok, these item above are what I think is more critical and also easily fixable. I have another suggestion that I believe would greatly improve TD. Reading the motivations and principles on the new interface, I see the removal of clutter as great goal. Looking at my list of tasks, I can see what is the clutter, there is too much default information! My suggestion is very simple: hide all the value and properties that are with their unset/default values, like "No Folder", "No Context", "No date", "None". I see that today these values are already in grey, which already helps, but hidding them would definetly be much better! The controls to change the values could then just appear and the mouse hover, the would be much better and visually pleasant. Other examples: Click for action icon, unset star, without notes icon: all these could just be hidden, we should just see a star when the task is starred, and don't see the grey star, unless the mouse curso is over that task, then all the task grey controls should appear!

This message was edited Jul 26, 2011.
phicar2

Score: -1 Reference
Posted by Toodledo:
Thanks for the continued feedback. We are taking it all in and will use it to guide us going forwards.

Based on several comments above, we have just made a slight change to the note icon that shows if a task has or doesn't have a note. It should now be easier to distinguish between the two states.

Much better - thanks!!! now my colorblindness doesn't get in the my way :-)
Fabiano.

Score: -2 Reference
Posted by Toodledo:
Based on several comments above, we have just made a slight change to the note icon that shows if a task has or doesn't have a note. It should now be easier to distinguish between the two states.

Yes, that's better. But wouldn't be even much better to just hide the icon at all when you don't have a note? I think that would be much less clutter and clean design. That could apply to other greyd items as well.
profweb

Caught me by surprise, but overall I think you've made great improvements. Keep fine tuning it!
Thanks!
alexandremrj_2

Great design,

this was a big and welcome change, well done
isaachess

Posted by Fabiano.:
Yes, that's better. But wouldn't be even much better to just hide the icon at all when you don't have a note? I think that would be much less clutter and clean design. That could apply to other greyd items as well.

I agree. Why not have BOTH the "note" and "trash" icons show up when someone mouses over the task? (Perhaps that's not as "friendly" for touch-screen users? In their case they could perhaps "tap" the task first, upon which the icons would show up.)

That would greatly reduce clutter, and would still have the functionality.
Björn

Great update! Performance is much better. Please add filter for folders. I'm still missing that. Thanks!
tordu

A great improvement, especially for viewing folders.
martinoliveira

Although I appreciate the efforts, I find the new design very difficult to use. It's totally monochromatic and dull on the eyes.

Until you offer the possibility of using different color schemes... I will hate this. Sorry .. I am sure it has a lot of pluses.. but , I really thought the old color scheme was a lot better.
carol.dirig

Score: 0 Reference
Beautiful!
smon

Love it. Although the add column and edit column icons are now taking up valuable real estate in the width of the screen.
david.strathman

What happened to the ability to change color schemes? The high contrast "Inky" setting was great.

Also, as others have said, please bring back the collapsing side bar.
kay_eight

The only issue I have is that you can't change color schemes. PLEASE bring that back.

Aside from that, It'll take some time getting used to, but I think it's for the better.

Oh, and a heads up, I think the Favicon screwed up when you updated the site, because it looks like this. http://screenshooter.net/data/uploads/bq/rk/szue.png

But that could be just me, since I use Opera (which is buggy with tons of sites).

vihendi

A BIG THANK YOU, that you quickly changed the notes Icon. This struck me right away (negatively)!

Other than that: Congratulations to the new Design. I read your article and understand your reasons. To have filters in search view is also a great plus.

I will be back with a more thorough feedback after using it for a while. I hope some small changes can still be made.
nauthiz693

Love it. Well done.
paul

For the most part I welcome the change. A couple of points of feedback:

- before a high priority task was bold all the way across all columns I believe. Not it's just the priority column. That is confusing me.

- the calendar view layout before was bad, but at least I could see how many tasks were on each day without a mouse over. The current view is almost unusable for me as I used it before to do day by day planning across 2 monitors and 2 task systems (work and home - I don't get to pick the system at work). Now this takes MUCH longer.

- off topic a bit but when I saw the change I was really hoping it would include multi-edit. Alas.

Any thought about deploying a feature voting system like google moderator (http://www.google.com/moderator/). Takes 2 minutes to setup and would provide you a much clearer indication as to feature interest level. I know it's not all about democracy but you would think it might be helful to be able to tabulate interest.

All in all good stuff. Keep it coming!

matt.eggers

The left hand pane should have a hide button like the panes in Outlook.

Also, I like the UI aspects of the new design. But the design elements are poor. The icons, the colors, the fonts, etc. still look like they were designed by an engineer in about 1998. Doesn't impact how well it works, but it does look cheap and is likely to scare off new users.
Jman

I welcome the new design, but everytime I access a task and get out of it, it adds hard returns between every line. Major pain!! Fix this PLEASE!!
dripke

Love the new look! Thanks!!!!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.