ForumsNewsTasks Redesign (part 4)

Tasks Redesign (part 4)
d_hottinger

Posted: Oct 26, 2015
Score: 1 Reference
Folks, I appreciate the efforts to overhaul the design.

Unfortunately this last update has made adding tasks unacceptably slow.
It takes ~1s from clicking the button until the form appears. This is too much.
Using keyboard shortcuts has the same issue.

Similar things happened in part 1 when refreshing the tasks suddenly took much longer (still not fixed).

Could you please test these changes for performance regressions?
SyneRyder

Posted: Oct 27, 2015
Just wanted to say thank you for one change not yet mentioned - the larger font-size for the Task field in the Add Task window! That's going to make me a much happier user :)

Regarding the other comments:

* I'm noticing the move of the Add Task button to the right side as well. It's not a huge deal for me, but I only use the controls on the right-hand side infrequently, whereas I use the disclosure triangle on tasks on the left side all the time.

* Regarding performance regression, I wonder if that's due to the animations? I'm barely noticing a change, but I just got a brand new laptop - I'll bet it's noticeable on an older laptop with an underpowered OpenGL 1.x era video card. I wouldn't want the animations to go away, but maybe an option to turn them off for people who don't want them / want fastest performance?

Love the changes and the direction though. I like the new drop-down menu!
Olivir2015

Score: 0 Reference
As far as I can tell, the delay you mention depends on number of tasks listed in active view. I am sure something may be done about optimization, however as I tend to add my tasks in saved search views with minimal number of tasks, there is practically no delay at all. Try e.g. viewing the No Folder view and adding a task there.
Christoph Dollis

Score: -1 Reference
This is a serious downgrade!

I check off tasks on the left, click on note icons, clone tasks, etc., etc., etc., Why in heck do I want to move all the way to the right of the screen to add tasks?

This makes no sense at all. With all due respect, it doesn't.
Christoph Dollis

Score: 2 Reference
"Use the "Quick Add" box to add a task, which is in the same place it has always been, on the left."

No, this doesn't make sense. Why are the Quick Add and regular add on different parts of the screen!?

More importantly, I use Toodledo for a reason. That would be its sorting capability. That's the main reason I pay for it, to get the third sort. When I add tasks, I have to set properties for it to sort properly in my system—the whole and only reason I use and recommend Toodledo.

If I can't set priority, etc., start date, and what have you, context, and so on, right away, then it doesn't work for me. I don't go around filtering task lists regularly! It already sorts the way I want and have painstakingly set up.

The button should be on the left. The left is the action area whether of a task list or even advertising (every ad rep knows this). "Add Task" is kind of core functionality.
Olivir2015

@Christoph In the meantime, as a workaround, you can enable keyboard shortucts and then just press n for the same form to appear.

This message was edited Oct 27, 2015.
Christoph Dollis

Posted by Olivir2015:
@Christoph In the meantime, as a workaround, you can enable keyboard shortucts and then just press n for the same form to appear.

Yes, thank you for the suggestion. I could do that, but in fact I don't like memorizing the keyboard shortcuts for several different web products. I get confused, and it takes mental RAM I can put to better use. So, I use the mouse, and expect the main-used functions to be on the left, like where almost every top web company puts them—as kmasters9 astutely said above.

I appreciate your suggestion, but this is actually very annoying. I mean, look at the feedback and thumbs up for it all above!
mjStallinger

Hi!

I like that change. Although, I think the text within this new control is much too big!

Regards,
Michael
Franconius

Score: 3 Reference
I agree that everything's fine except the new position of the "Add task" button - that's really impractical and annoying, please move it back to the left side!!
mz.curlyhead

Score: 2 Reference
Posted by Jake:

Just as a further explanation, the "Add Task" button is in the same part of the screen as the task filters, sort options and action menu, so we didn't feel like we were banishing the button to an unused corner. The upper right corner is where you already go to make changes to your list, so this placement seems logical to us. We understand that there is muscle memory and accustomization that is being disrupted here and we want to be sensitive to this so we are exploring some other options right now.
1) Use the "Quick Add" box to add a task, which is in the same place it has always been, on the left.

Justifying that the Add Task has been moved to the right just like sort/filter options isn't impressive to me because I also strongly dislike that change as noted in another forum conversation! We read from left to right, so everything starts there for me. Having the filter/sort (which I use CONSTANTLY. It's WHY I love Toodledo SO MUCH) and Add Task on the left is the natural place for my eye looking at the list, next to the check boxes. I'm on a laptop with mouse pad, so it's inconvenient for my eye and wrist.

Using Quick Add has no appeal to me. If I don't feel like adding all details during Add Task, I just don't. Which is rare in itself.

I break a mental flow now when I am using Toodledo. It's still the best option, and I'm thankful every day for it. I'm just not impressed by the tweaks. Including making the sidebar icons, but I know I'm the minority on that. So cest la vie.
kevin.carr

Score: 3 Reference
I think the redesign looks very nice. I am a long time user of Toodledo and appreciate the effort being put into the continual improvement of the service. However, as mentioned previously in this thread, I don't think placing "Add Task" and "Save" on the right side of the screen is a good place for it. With a large screen, it requires a lot of movement away from the left side of the screen where most of the focus and activity occurs. This has a negative affect on the usability and efficiency.
garyo

Posted by Franconius:
I agree that everything's fine except the new position of the "Add task" button - that's really impractical and annoying, please move it back to the left side!!

Yeah, me too on this one -- I'm not as heated about it as some folks here, but all things considered I'd prefer it on the left where the other actions are.
Salgud

Posted by Acustk:
Clicking "Tasks" to refresh now collapses all the dividers. Before the product links were consolidated I could click on the "Tasks" link and it would refresh my page but leave open the dividers I was currently working in.

Would you please consider restoring this functionality? Namely, that if you are currently in the Tasks module and click "Tasks", it will refresh but not collapse all the folders.

Thanks.

I'm not seeing that happen, Acustk, so I suspect it's one of your settings, though I can't imagine which one.
Purveyor

Posted by Jake:
Both of these changes were also done to make the website more "responsive". This is a term that means that Toodledo will work on mobile devices just as well as in the desktop browser. You can see this for yourself by resizing this window and making it really skinny. The top section should scale down appropriately. Our goal is to eventually have the entire site work well inside a mobile browser and we are making great progress in this direction.
Yes, the top section scales down but I'm wondering how a multi-column grid format can work inside a smartphone browser. Seems to me that you're going to need a fundamentally different format to display tasks.
Acustk

Posted by Salgud:
Posted by Acustk:
Clicking "Tasks" to refresh now collapses all the dividers. Before the product links were consolidated I could click on the "Tasks" link and it would refresh my page but leave open the dividers I was currently working in.

Would you please consider restoring this functionality? Namely, that if you are currently in the Tasks module and click "Tasks", it will refresh but not collapse all the folders.

Thanks.

I'm not seeing that happen, Acustk, so I suspect it's one of your settings, though I can't imagine which one.

Seems to be happening in both Firefox and Chrome although I have not changed any settings. Perhaps others can confirm whether clicking on the new consolidated "Tasks" icon is also collapsing all of their dividers or not.
Bridget K

Hey all,

Please keep in mind that the tasks section redesign is still in progress. As we go, it is important for us to get your feedback and make sure things are headed in the right direction. At the moment, we would like to gather some feedback about the add button, quick add bar, and top navigation bar.

If you would like to help out you can take the following survey here: Header Survey

The test is meant to gather information on three topics:

1. The method you use to add tasks
2. The color and visual style of the header
3. The position of the add task and quick add bar.

Thanks in advance for your participation, and Happy Tuesday.

:)

Bridget

Salgud

Posted by Acustk:
Posted by Salgud:
Posted by Acustk:

Thanks.

Seems to be happening in both Firefox and Chrome although I have not changed any settings. Perhaps others can confirm whether clicking on the new consolidated "Tasks" icon is also collapsing all of their dividers or not.

I'm using Chrome.
Bridget K

Posted by Acustk:
Clicking "Tasks" to refresh now collapses all the dividers.

Hey Acustk,

I suspect your display format may be set to "Collapse all dividers". To change this click the blue circular button with an arrow in it located on the far right side of the beige bar at the top of your tasks section. Under this menu try clicking "Open all dividers". This should keep your dividers open.

Let me know if this works for you,

:)

Bridget
Technutz

I add another vote move task button back, Please move the add task button back to the left. On a large monitor it is now a pain to add a detailed task. It is causing more work than saving. Thanks for all the hard work.!
Technutz

Ok I very much dislike the hiding of the outline, list etc. This is causing double the amount of clicks. Please give option to have them list out. They were no hurting anything. I dont like this update. My two cents.

You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.