ForumsNewsiOS Update - June 2020

iOS Update - June 2020
Duo

Posted: Jul 09, 2020
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by strativourakis:

[...]

*TOODLE-FREAKIN'-DO* released an update after what; 3 YEARS???

[...]

Man do I feel sorry for all y'all who immediately updated it. Truly; I've been in your boat & totally understand.

One small lesson is to NEVER immediately install updates for ANY major, critical app or device you use. ALWAYS wait at LEAST a few days or longer to update and always a good idea to research first to see if others have had problems.

Again; I'm very sorry for the issues users are having; we really shouldn't HAVE to take this much caution when installing app updates, but here we are...

[...]

From what I'm reading it unfortunately seems like many people had auto-update enabled and so received a new broken app automatically.

If as you say, this is the first Toodledo update in over 3 years it would have come out of the blue.

Also, I believe that on iOS it is all or nothing, unlike Android - you can't choose which apps to auto-update. Is that correct?
Mike_1301764841

For those who have locked themselves out of TD on their iOS devices, I’d suggest you access TD from a browser, download the entire TD backup, then sign up for Remember the Milk and import your data there. Then sign up for the Pro access to RTM and don’t look back on TD.
Anant G.

Score: 0 Reference
I have updated the beta link now in the thread. It solves most of the open bugs apart from Notes sorting order. That build is still under verification on Apple. We will roll out an update as soon as we have done all the tests internally.

Just make sure you synchronize all your data to website first from Settings --> Synchronization. Then delete your old app and install the new one.

Here is the link to testflight again : https://testflight.apple.com/join/IOcArkMs
strativourakis

Posted by Duo:

From what I'm reading it unfortunately seems like many people had auto-update enabled and so received a new broken app automatically.

If as you say, this is the first Toodledo update in over 3 years it would have come out of the blue.

Also, I believe that on iOS it is all or nothing, unlike Android - you can't choose which apps to auto-update. Is that correct?

I should have been more clear; I'm in NO WAY blaming the end user, simply making a comment on the sad state of software updates in today's world.

Yes, you are right that many affected users may have "auto app updates" enabled. I do not have that specifically because of instances like this.
While rare, they can be devastating when a critical app like ToodleDo or EverNote is rendered useless by a careless, untested update that is pushed out.

And yes that's correct; if you enable automatic app updating, it's all or nothing; no way to pick & choose.

Apple really ought to also roll out a "skip this update" feature, so that people like me can choose to skip a particular update instead of constantly being pestered to upgrade.
akbracegirdle

Posted by Anant G.:
I have updated the beta link now in the thread. It solves most of the open bugs apart from Notes sorting order. That build is still under verification on Apple. We will roll out an update as soon as we have done all the tests internally.

Just make sure you synchronize all your data to website first from Settings --> Synchronization. Then delete your old app and install the new one.

Here is the link to testflight again : https://testflight.apple.com/join/IOcArkMs

Maybe I’m an optimist but a “sorry for the problems you are all facing” would have been appreciated.

Having used TD for 10+ years in work and into retirement I am now bailing. I do not trust the program any more.

After research I have migrated to TickTick and I love it, it does all TD did and more, and better.

Adios Amigos.
jsinger

Posted: Jul 10, 2020
Posted by Anant G.:

Are you serious! I was giving you the benefit of the doubt and giving you time to sort this out. But not even an I am sorry we really messed this up! Are you kidding! I have been a loyal paying user who was willing to forgive a royal screw up. All I ask is for some communication and an apology. And this is the communication. You have got to be kidding.

I do not mean to be harsh here, but Anant, you should not be the one communicating to the public.
Mike_1301764841

I just renewed in May. Is there a way to get refunded some % due to this situation?
icr64

I upgraded to the new iOS version 3.4 (5590), and like others, had none of my 8,000 entries when the upgrade was done. I had sync'd to the web just before performing the upgrade out of an abundance of caution, so I started a forced sync from web to device. I then discovered that the last sync the web had was from sometime in early May! I had been doing weekly syncs and of course the sync just before the upgrade, so imagine my dismay that all my work for two months was wiped out!

The new version is unusable and filled with bugs, a sample of which include:
Searching Tasks takes about a minute before I can even enter search text - it used to be "instantaneous".
When I start entering text, the app takes about 25s for the first letter typed to appear in the search box, and then decreasing amounts of time for each subsequent letter - it used to have no perceptible lag.
Formatting of the search results is awful, with some items partially hidden and stray lines appearing in the list.
Folders and tasks have alphabetical sorting active, but roughly 50% of the time they are in reverse order. The app flips them about after each task is opened.
Task view formatting is different and cannot be changed in the Settings - it used to be configureable.
Rotating the phone when using TD, sometimes loses a part of the screen, sometimes locks up the app. Then about a minute later, it cycles through all the orientations of the phone as if it is "catching up" with all the movement.

This is just a sample!

I have decided that even after investing a huge effort to make this my db of record for the past few years, I will abandon the app for something that actually works and keeps my data safe.

Maybe this is an indicator of how bad it is, but if you try searching for ToodleDo in the iOS app store, it doesn't even show up on the search results. Could it be you are ashamed of what you have produced in this "upgrade". Shame on you for destroying a great app in one thoughtless, careless release!

This message was edited Jul 10, 2020.
tork.beavis

Any professional company of any product or service would, in this calamity, allow a pro-rated refund for those leaving. This would at least signal goodwill to those who have invested in the company for years. Given the way this saga has developed, I doubt this will ever happen with ToodleDo.
Anant G.

Posted by jsinger:
Posted by Anant G.:

Are you serious! I was giving you the benefit of the doubt and giving you time to sort this out. But not even an I am sorry we really messed this up! Are you kidding! I have been a loyal paying user who was willing to forgive a royal screw up. All I ask is for some communication and an apology. And this is the communication. You have got to be kidding.

I do not mean to be harsh here, but Anant, you should not be the one communicating to the public.

Ohh I didn't realize that it was my first reply on this thread and I am really sorry if it sounded otherwise. We have been replying to so many support tickets and email and in meantime talking with Apple to get more information on what happened with the data and I didn't realize it was my first reply here :( We are really sorry that our users had to go through all this and we are trying our best to roll out an update as soon as we can. We have sorted out most of the bugs already and can be downloaded from here : https://testflight.apple.com/join/IOcArkMs

Currently we are waiting on Apple to tell us more about what happened with the last update and why our users' data was wiped out. We had the same database structure on the app and so it shouldn't have done that. Again I feel really bad that this happened with our users, it was not our intentions. We always want good for our users. We were so excited about the release and this happened.

Please download the app from testflight link and if you see any bugs, you can email me directly on [email protected] and we will try to resolve them before we roll out an update in app store.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
lsbarra_1338675815

Are you kidding? When I opened the app about ten days ago and everything was missing, fool me once, I thought for some reason I had not paid?????, so... I paid up! Still no app and no data so I went to the web version. Luckily I backup my TD daily. Once I caught on, I went directly over to RTM and seamlessly imported my TD files. Not that I prefer RTM, but this is unforgiveable and I'm not going back!!! Wish I could get my money back. Any company that would do this doesn't deserve to keep my data, now or in the future. Too bad. I hope Evernote is watching. What a horror show! TD deserves all the bad publicity they get, and then some.
mightybeech

Why not just put the old version back. It had been working flawlessly for years.
max

Posted: Jul 11, 2020
Anant, I agree with the requests for you to make the old version available for a while. This is because like many other people here, I would be nervous to try the new version for a few weeks after you release it to ensure it is tested properly.

May I suggest the following plan of action:

1. Make the previous working version available in AppStore.

2. Continue making the new version available on TestFlight for those who want to try it.

3. Once users report that the TestFlight version is stable after a few weeks, then replace the old version on AppStore.

Many thanks

Max

This message was edited Jul 11, 2020.
Larry3

Posted by mightybeech:
Why not just put the old version back. It had been working flawlessly for years.

He may not be able to if it's a 32bit application. I don't think Apple would allow it.
max

Posted by Larry3:
Posted by mightybeech:

He may not be able to if it's a 32bit application. I don't think Apple would allow it.

Surely he would have told us by now if that were the case given that so many people have asked?
Anant G.

Posted by max:
Posted by Larry3:
Posted by mightybeech:

Surely he would have told us by now if that were the case given that so many people have asked?

Already reached out to apple about this and there is no way they can roll back an update. Waiting for their answer on why the data was wiped out so that we can release a stable version in app store.
Larry3

Posted: Jul 12, 2020
Posted by Anant G.:
Posted by max:
Posted by Larry3:
Posted by mightybeech:

Already reached out to apple about this and there is no way they can roll back an update. Waiting for their answer on why the data was wiped out so that we can release a stable version in app store.

Thanks, Anant but I have a question. Why would Apple be involved with data loss? Isn't the app only a conduit between the user and Toodledo servers? Or is Apple somehow involved in data transmission?
steve.parrilla0623

Posted: Jul 13, 2020
App Store says there's an update but when I try, the app is no longer available in the app store. Is the only option to download a beta version from TestFlight?
cj

iOS 3.4.1 Update

OMG ... you just made it 100x worse ...
(at least I was running the flawed version - prior to your announcement)

1. I followed your directions ... made sure toodledo was synched
2. I deleted the app. redownloaded from app store
3. booted up toodledo (so far so good) ... logged in, and made sure the basic settings were there
4. clicked synch
waiting ....

5 App crashes
tried to re-start
all I get is the toodledo splash screen

And .... since I am about to leave for a week vacation. I'm screwed.

Holy mother of G*d this is so bad - the level of incompetence is criminal.

I was probably the "last man standing" toodledo stalwart fan... and defender.

###
Not anymore.

What a massive f*up. I am now speechless. Nothing more to say.

This message was edited Jul 13, 2020.
strativourakis

Posted by cj:
iOS 3.4.1 Update

OMG ... you just made it 100x worse ...
(at least I was running the flawed version - prior to your announcement)

1. I followed your directions ... made sure toodledo was synched
2. I deleted the app. redownloaded from app store
3. booted up toodledo (so far so good) ... logged in, and made sure the basic settings were there
4. clicked synch
waiting ....

5 App crashes
tried to re-start
all I get is the toodledo splash screen

And .... since I am about to leave for a week vacation. I'm screwed.

Holy mother of G*d this is so bad - the level of incompetence is criminal.

I was probably the "last man standing" toodledo stalwart fan... and defender.

###
Not anymore.

What a massive f*up. I am now speechless. Nothing more to say.

Dang man... I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm not even going to try the new update even on an old iPad that I still need to wipe & give to my wife......I don't want to risk it deleting data from TD's server or anything.

Not worth the risk, not worth the hassle.

Sorry for your troubles, hope you can get some fix in place.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.