ForumsNewsiOS Update - June 2020

iOS Update - June 2020
Dave

Posted: Jul 13, 2020
Score: 1 Reference
Honestly... just came to the website on a fluke... didn't even think this was a viable product anymore.

Used to use it all the time, then it stopped being functional a few years ago and I just gave up.

And from the looks of things... the current state of the product isn't any better.

wow ... just WOW...

This message was edited Jul 13, 2020.
cj

Score: 0 Reference
Thanks for the condolences on trying to support toodledo : )

Sucks even more, since I have a 6 hour trip by car - where I wanted to tick off my todo list of writing items, while working disconnected on my ipad in the car. But no app - no list.
jimk222

Posted by cj:

Sucks even more, since I have a 6 hour trip by car - where I wanted to tick off my todo list of writing items, while working disconnected on my ipad in the car. But no app - no list.

I'd suggest, with the time you have on the road trip, particularly if you are on iPad, iPhone, and mac using iOS/MacOS Reminders. I'm pretty pleased having transitioned all of my information over there last week in less than the time you have in the car. Clean and crisp interface, it just simply works, and it is simple which keeps me from overcomplicating the setup. I spend less time planning my To Dos and more time just getting them done.

Good luck with what path you take, and safe travels!

Jim
erbin

I just download the new app. Was able to sync all my tasks. When I closed the app and relaunched, it crashed.

This message was edited Jul 13, 2020.
max

Posted: Jul 14, 2020
Posted by erbin:
I just download the new app. Was able to sync all my tasks. When I closed the app and relaunched, it crashed.

Yes, I also got the crash on one of my older devices.

Also, after hitting Add or Delete task, there is now also a long delay which we did not have before. This occurs across all iOS devices including brand new iPads with 256GB memory. This is very irritating because it means tasks cannot be quickly added in the fly like before.
Anant G.

Posted by erbin:

This is happening on which device?
erbin

iPad Pro running IOS 13.5.1. It seems to be working okay on my iPhone running IOS 13.5.1.
jsinger

Posted by erbin:
iPad Pro running IOS 13.5.1. It seems to be working okay on my iPhone running IOS 13.5.1.

I am having the same issue. iPhone seems to be okay. I turned off auto updates just because of this app but it updated anyway. iPad is s***. After spending considerable time downloading tasks again and resetting my app specific passwords, the iPad app was running very slowly. Each click seemed to take forever for the app to respond. So I closed the app and now every time I try to open it, it crashes. Can not even be opened.

I ask again, how do you not test before you release? Any simple test on an iPad would see that this app does not work at all on an iPad.

I have been patient, but that is running out. The incompetence is staggering and the lack of communication is bewildering.

As for alternatives, I have found Remember the Milk to be lacking in key areas as of a few years back. Because of this thread, I have looked at TickTick and it looks promising. I will begin testing when I get some time.
Dave Campbell_1397658655

Congrats guys, you really botched this update properly.
SFSailLady

Hi - things remaining with the 3.4.1 update on my iPhone:

1) Switching between task 'views' is cumbersome. It used to take seconds. To go from say Top priority view to "All Tasks" used to take a mere second or two. Basically it was not noticeable. Now I have to wait 15 seconds and as you know in software, that is too long for a user to wait given how quick it used to be. Please go back to your old search algorithm.

2) The sort settings between the web version and my iPhone are different. I WANT the iPhone sort so how do I know that will NOT get messed up if I keep syncing. ? I do NOT want the web version sort. Now, I rarely use the web version, but I do want my iPhone sort settings to be the same on my iPad and the web. I am afraid at this point to touch it.

3) Next time there is going to be an update, can you please email your user base? I received no notifications an update was happening. I should be able to to choose that given the issues with this one. I see you posted in this forum, but I don't read this forum regularly so I was unaware. Had I known it was coming, I would have backed up my iPhone and then manually updated.

I will say that I have enjoyed Toodledo for years and hope you iron out the kinks, especially with respect to performance upon switching views. I do that a lot when I am using the app and I use the app heavily. I did have a tiny heart murmur when I did not initially see the data on my iPhone. I assumed there had been an update. I looked at the web version and all the data was there so I did a sync. I am thankful my sort settings remained intact on my iPhone since they are different on the web.

Thanks for keeping this app going and I appreciate your support attempts etc.
DO_1594386537

To those of you still struggling about bailing off this ship: I'd been a heavy Toodledo user since 2009, completely dependent. Since the moment I saw everything wiped off the phone app a week and a half ago and then logged on here and understood what was happening, I realized how vulnerable I was leaving myself by staying in this environment, clearly unsuited for critically important data. I exported everything from the web version to CSV files, jumped to TickTick for todos and OneNote for notebook notes and lists. Turns out that well-supported apps in this domain have come a long way. I haven't looked back for one second, and you won't either.
jimk222

Posted by DO_1594386537:
To those of you still struggling about bailing off this ship: I'd been a heavy Toodledo user since 2009, completely dependent. Since the moment I saw everything wiped off the phone app a week and a half ago and then logged on here and understood what was happening, I realized how vulnerable I was leaving myself by staying in this environment, clearly unsuited for critically important data. I exported everything from the web version to CSV files, jumped to TickTick for todos and OneNote for notebook notes and lists. Turns out that well-supported apps in this domain have come a long way. I haven't looked back for one second, and you won't either.

I had been a longtime user of ToodleDo and OneNote, but recently came across Notion.so and am really impressed with the use of databases and linking fields for relationships of information. It's pretty slick what you can do. I have migrated from ToodleDo to iOS Reminders for task management and am really loving that simple approach. Then I am building out Notion for many note-taking, project planning, even CRM related functions, the collaboration is pretty amazing with real-time interactions where you can see where the other person's cursor is. I could use Notion for task management but I think it is a bit cumbersome for mobile so that is why I'm happy to stick with Reminders for tasks and Notion for most of the other elements of my workflow.

This message was edited Jul 14, 2020.
tahallco

Posted: Jul 15, 2020
Just saw that ToodleDo is now available in App Store. Has anyone tried to open and update? Just a bit nervous to open as I’m managing with what I have but it’s clumsy. Just done want to lose everything.
Jonesadams

Posted: Jul 16, 2020
Yes I followed instructions from Toodledo Help ticket.

What were you doing?
TOODLEDO LOOKED DIFFERENT TODAY WHEN I OPENED IT.
I LOOK AT TASKS 10-20 TIMES A DAY, IT RUNS MY LIFE,

What happened?
OPENED IPHONE AND TOODLEDO HAD 22 TASKS, MY ONLINE TOODLEDO HAS 346. AFRAID TO SYNC FOR FEAR I LOSE HUNDREDS OF TASKS. AND I JUST PAID $60 FOR THE YEAR.

The specific URL or location that pertains to this question or comment?
Posted on Jul 14, 2020 22:23 by Toodledo:

Hi,
We just rolled out an update in app-store. You can download the new app from there.

Few things you should do :
1) On your current Toodledo App Settings, go to synchronization and then Account Login. See if you have account linked with your app or not.
2) If you have account linked, go to tasks.toodledo.com on your computer to see if all your tasks are there.
3) Delete the old app, download the new one from app store and go to settings --> Synchronization --> Enter Account Login.
4) All your data should be restored.

There are two small open bugs in the app which we will fix and release an update soon :
1) Multi-line layout.
2) Sorting of tasks based on special characters.
3) Scroll issue while viewing notes.
4) Synchronization performance issues when tasks are more than 10,000.
5) Colored Priority Labels on tasks.

Thanks
Posted on Jul 15, 2020 16:54 by You:

I did just as you said and now I have 284 of my 346 tasks. Better but I'd like all of them to sync into my iPhone. Online is fine.

I uninstalled Toodledo, loaded it from the App store, synced ---- did this twice.

I have not figured out which tasks haven't synced......since when I open Toodledo on my phone, it is working on processing tasks or downloading tasks. The little "completion line:" never gets past mid place.

Suggestions?

Thanks, Dee
Posted on Jul 16, 2020 02:03 by Toodledo:

Hi,
It is most likely the number and sub task issue. On website it counts all tasks including subtasks but on app it is counting only parent tasks.

We will roll out an update to fix this asap.

Thanks

Later: I eventually got up to ALL OF MY 346 tasks, but when I open Toodledo on my iPhone, it takes forever to open, or crashes.
bandit

Posted: Jul 17, 2020
jmik222 (and others): if you give a task an “Optionally On” Due Date and set the task to repeat on Date Due, any task that is not completed on that date will automatically roll forward based on the repeat schedule, so no need to adjust Due Dates ever day for uncompleted tasks. Be careful, because if you pick an Optional Due Date and no repeat, the task will be deleted after the date has passed, and then you have to recover it from Deleted Tasks (easiest way to find: Search for “optionally” on the Deleted Tasks page). I was thrilled when I discovered how to make uncompleted tasks automatically roll forward!
jimk222

Posted by bandit:
jmik222 (and others): if you give a task an “Optionally On” Due Date and set the task to repeat on Date Due, any task that is not completed on that date will automatically roll forward based on the repeat schedule, so no need to adjust Due Dates ever day for uncompleted tasks. Be careful, because if you pick an Optional Due Date and no repeat, the task will be deleted after the date has passed, and then you have to recover it from Deleted Tasks (easiest way to find: Search for “optionally” on the Deleted Tasks page). I was thrilled when I discovered how to make uncompleted tasks automatically roll forward!

This is really great!! Awesome approach I admittedly did not know or pursue. Thank you for passing along that thoughtful informaion. Hope it helps others.
bandit

I’ve been using Toodledo for about 4 1/2 years (not as long as many other users). My needs are not as complex as others, but, for my purposes I really like Toodledo and the many features it offers (see my previous post about how to set up uncompleted tasks to automatically roll forward). Like everyone else, I was less than pleased, and quite nervous, when I experienced the update issues. Because the iPhone version was so messed up, and force-syncing from Toodledo.com to my iPhone didn’t help, I did delete the app, then reinstalled it by downloading it from “My Purchases” under my App Store account. After syncing, my iPhone app was fine. Not the case with the app on my iPad, which has been totally messed up and not usable. I was pleasantly surprised when I checked it today, and it looks perfect.

Bottom line (for me): I didn’t want to give up on Toodledo, and am so happy the issues are resolved. However, after this experience, I’m going to be more diligent about exporting my tasks to a .csv file at least weekly (which is a recurring task on my To Do list), for peace of mind.
Marc Levoy

Posted: Jul 18, 2020
None of these fixes are working on my iPad (running 13.5.1). I can delete and re-install Toodledo (version 3.4.1), then force Toodledo-to-device sync, but this crashes just before finishing, or sometimes it finishes correctly, but if I terminate and re-launch the app, it displays the splash screen for 30 seconds, then crashes, and any attempt to re-launch the app insta-crashes the same way. It works on my iPhone, Android phone, and Mac, but not my iPad. Please advise. (Another way to say this is that it launches and works exactly once, after re-installing and force-syncing, then not again unless I again re-install.)

This message was edited Jul 19, 2020.
Mark H

Posted: Jul 19, 2020
Posted by cj:

I have been using the web interface on PC and iPhone through Chrome browser. Seems to be fine. I don't use alerts or notification from Toodledo so the app is not required for me.
tahallco

Posted: Jul 19, 2020
jimk222, Thanks for the perfect guidance on the backup/export. Worked great. I've now officially moved to Tick Tick. Looks like a great App. Just not feeling the love from ToodleDo. Sorry to go. But, I remember many years ago leaving Blackberry to Apple.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.