ForumsQuestionsTags

Tags
ukz_

Posted: Feb 23, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
Hi,

I just wondered whether there were any plans to revise how tags are implemented or whether you are happy with the current system?

Specifically, I am referring to the fact that tags disappear when not in use (I would prefer a static list), that the user cannot determine the sort order whenever tags appear (which makes finding the tag you want extremely frustrating..I would prefer again a static list in alphabetical order as noted in another post).

Surely it would not be so hard to give the user the choice(?).
ukz_

In fact, just resolving the sort order would do as, if necessary, I could create my own static list by having a dummy task with all tags selected.

This message was edited Feb 23, 2012.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 1 Reference
If you want a static list you can use folder, context, goal or location. Tags were designed intentionally to be non-static. That is, the lists is constantly updating to reflect the tags actually in use and unused tags are not displayed until they are used again. Currently tags are sorted by the frequency of use, but there have been many requests to make this alphabetical and this is on our to-do list.
ukz_

Posted: Feb 24, 2012
Score: 1 Reference
The problem with using folder, context, goal or location is that you can't assign multiple entries to each task. (In any case, I am already using folder and context as you may imagine, and I prefer not to use a hack if I can help it).

However, alphabetical sorting makes all of this go away for me and I can also then group/classify tags using a prefix.

Thanks for the info.
Disorganised

Posted: Feb 24, 2012
Posted by ukz_:
The problem with using folder, context, goal or location is that you can't assign multiple entries to each task. (In any case, I am already using folder and context as you may imagine, and I prefer not to use a hack if I can help it).

However, alphabetical sorting makes all of this go away for me and I can also then group/classify tags using a prefix.

Thanks for the info.

I agree with that.
jmfoobar

Posted: Mar 18, 2012
Posted by ukz_:
The problem with using folder, context, goal or location is that you can't assign multiple entries to each task.

Me too - I agree.

I appreciate that tags are meant to be non-static but without being able to see a static list you've added an additional thing to remember into a system that is supposed to be helping you clear your head so to speak.

Maybe rather than making tags static you add a field called "area" or something like that - where the user can delineate work, personal, volunteer, etc.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 18, 2012
Thanks for the suggestion. We can't comment on a timeframe for implementation, but this is on our to-do list.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.