ForumsQuestions2 things RTM does I wish Toodledo did

2 things RTM does I wish Toodledo did
thpope

Posted: Apr 29, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
1) I can assign or share a task with another user and I don't have to have a pro account and we both can edit it. I think one person having a pro account should suffice.

2) I don't remember anymore... I guess it wasn't that important. (probably thinking of how RTM smart lists seem to be better than TD saved searches)

BTW, TD is far more useful than RTM, but sharing tasks fully without having to purchase a pro account for all users is a BIG plus.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 29, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion.
thpope

Posted: Apr 30, 2009
I remember now. RTM doesn't delete completed tasks. This is a plus for them also.
roddyt

Toodledo doesn't delete them either. With a Pro account, it looks like you can keep them up to two years.
Alan

Posted by thpope:
I remember now. RTM doesn't delete completed tasks. This is a plus for them also.
Have tried clicking on the "recently completed" tab?

You can also do an advanced search for tasks that are checked-off.

This message was edited Apr 30, 2009.
thpope

Posted: May 01, 2009
Yes. But RTM never deletes them. Two years may seem like a long time, but never is much longer. Free account is only 6 months. RTM states they never delete completed to-do's free or pro.

I think Toodledo needs to find the space to store completed tasks for competitive reasons. Also, Pro plus accounts allow 1GB of storage. IMO, I think this should be increased drastically to 25GB. The regular pro could be 1GB.

I know storage is not free, but from the customer pov, it's very easy today to get a lot of very cheap, if not free, online storage.
roddyt

I just learned in another post that the Pro Plus level gives you the "forever" you're looking for. So the option is there.

Whenever upgrades are available, there's got to be some reason to want to upgrade. To me, it's totally reasonable for the amount of time data is saved to be used as a carrot to entice users to a higher level.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Our stats show that tasks completed more than 6 months are almost never viewed (far less than 1%). Virtually nobody wants those tasks anymore and if we can purge them, it makes our website faster and more efficient.

If you want to keep a permanent record of completed tasks, you can either export them from our export page and save them to your computer, or you can upgrade to our Pro Plus subscription and save them forever.

As far as file storage goes. 1GB is our current quota. Fewer than 3% of Pro Plus users have reached that limit and nobody who has reached the limit has asked for more space. So we don't think it is that critical, but at the same time, it wouldn't increase our costs too much to increase the limit, so we are thinking about it.
stephen.ferro

At first I was concerned about losing completed tasks (having come from RTM). But I have incorporated exporting tasks in my weekly review and have found that it makes me more aware of what I am getting done and what is lagging behind.
thpope

I don't disagree with your assessment, but I have to say that I believe it is perceived differently from a customer pov, especially a prospective customer. Think about how Yahoo mail and Hotmail were offering 2-6MB of email storage until Google created gmail and started it at 1-2GB of storage. I doubt people used all of that storage, but it was nice to know it was available. Plus, they now have comparable amounts of storage available to their customers. I guarantee that would not be the case if not for what Google did.

Even though I know logically I will probably never look at completed tasks from 6 months ago or even 2 years ago, I really like knowing I can just in case.

Thanks for the suggestion of exporting, but honestly I won't take the time to do that. If, however, at some time I need to check when a task was completed years ago, and I can't, it will nag at me.

I'm suggesting that it is worth the marketing value to add, even if reality suggests it is more valuable for the functioning of your servers. I think you will find the increased number of paying customers will more than offset for the increased cost of server upgrades.
gui

Here's a suggestion:

Purchase Appigo To Do. Purchase Appigo Notes. Every task can be archived in Notes forever and you have them in your iPhone. You can also convert memos or notes to tasks. Entire solution cost $ 15.

BTW I use both Toodledo and To Do precisely for that purpose. I also own Momo notes which is fantastic but does not save tasks.

You mention "from a customer pov", C'mon, Toodledo is the price of a burger!
J-Mac

Posted: May 02, 2009
Posted by gui:
Here's a suggestion:

Purchase Appigo To Do. Purchase Appigo Notes. Every task can be archived in Notes forever and you have them in your iPhone. You can also convert memos or notes to tasks. Entire solution cost $ 15.

BTW I use both Toodledo and To Do precisely for that purpose. I also own Momo notes which is fantastic but does not save tasks.

Great suggestion - for iPhone users. Unfortunately not all users have them...

You mention "from a customer pov", C'mon, Toodledo is the price of a burger!

Agreed! Emphatically!

Jim
Alan

Posted by thpope:
Think about how Yahoo mail and Hotmail were offering 2-6MB of email storage until Google created gmail and started it at 1-2GB of storage. I doubt people used all of that storage, but it was nice to know it was available. Plus, they now have comparable amounts of storage available to their customers. I guarantee that would not be the case if not for what Google did.
I understand where you're coming from, but Yahoo and Hotmail and Google use feature in their email offer as part of the much bigger picture, which involves $billions in revenue. Although I'm not certain, I suspect Toodledo is not in the same league. And as Toodledo says, there is a minuscule business need for this based on their own data and existing customer usage.
Thanks for the suggestion of exporting, but honestly I won't take the time to do that.
Point, point, click, click, type file name, done. Repeat every 5 months. It's not that difficult. And you yourself admitted that you would hardly ever look back to check for them anyway.
I'm suggesting that it is worth the marketing value to add, even if reality suggests it is more valuable for the functioning of your servers.
Yes, however, their own customer usage patterns suggest no one would use it or seems to work with patterns now that would indicate a need for it, thus there is no marketing value.
I think you will find the increased number of paying customers will more than offset for the increased cost of server upgrades.
The bigger point here is that Toodledo DOES offer these things here for those who need them, but paying for a Pro plus account. If it is really that important to you, then by all means, it would be worth the small annual fee for that and other features, no?

As far as RTM offering this, RTM's product has been completely stagnant for a long time and may be cute and quirky, but it certainly not as useful or feature-rich as Toodledo, and the developer of Toodledo is far more responsive to customer feedback, unlike the hostility against unsatisfied customers that is apparent at RTM. To me, RTM had a great following and loyal customer base and have begun to lose it due to their poor attitude and belief that their bovine product is perfect and doesn't need to be fixed - and those that ask for change are just whiners.

In any case, RTM offers the unlimited storage of completed Todos, so if that is what is critical to your choice of task management systems, there is always that alternative for you.

Please don't misunderstand. You have features that are important to the way you work and that's perfectly acceptable and justifiable, however, from Toodledo's point of view, so few people demand or use those features that it is not worth it for them to provide them to all customers, however, the option is there for those who want them, through the yearly subscription to a Pro Plus account. The $29.95/annum price gives you everything at Toodledo, and much more features than RTMs $25 Pro account charge. It's $2.50 a month for what you need. A coffee at Starbucks costs more.

This message was edited May 02, 2009.
thpope

They are just suggestions for the Toodledo folks. I made my choice already, at least I thought I had.

In any case, RTM offers the unlimited storage of completed Todos, so if that is what is critical to your choice of task management systems, there is always that alternative for you.

Yes there is. Do you think it is a good idea to push Toodledo's customer's to their competitors? I'm sorry, but I wouldn't want you speaking for my company.

This message was edited May 02, 2009.
Andrew

I hope you don't mind me changing the subject entirely.

Two other things Toodledo needs to add support for are:

1. Adding an option for due dates in the form of "the X of each month" e.g. "The 2nd of each month". This is useful for things like billing cycles.

2. Adding autocomplete for entering tags. This is userful for longer tags and the times when you want to apply many tags at once. You should also be able to do this on the iPhone app in the form of selecting from a list of tags instead of manual entry.
Anders

Posted: May 03, 2009
Posted by Andrew:
1. Adding an option for due dates in the form of "the X of each month" e.g. "The 2nd of each month". This is useful for things like billing cycles.

Format 2: http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=2

2. Adding autocomplete for entering tags. This is userful for longer tags and the times when you want to apply many tags at once. You should also be able to do this on the iPhone app in the form of selecting from a list of tags instead of manual entry.

Absolutely. If you look around there are at least a dozen threads where this is mentioned. I would find it especially useful in the iPhone app. Personally, I'd rather have a list, or tag cloud, than autocomplete, but either works.
Andrew

Posted: May 04, 2009
Posted by Anders:
Posted by Andrew:

Format 2: http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=2

Format 2 does not let you specify an exact numerical day of the month. It only lets to specify the Nth occurrence of a specific day of week. You can get close though, so it's not that big a deal.
Anders

Posted by Andrew:
Format 2 does not let you specify an exact numerical day of the month. It only lets to specify the Nth occurrence of a specific day of week. You can get close though, so it's not that big a deal.

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. What you want seems to be a simple monthly repeat. Just set a task to be due on that date this month, and then set it to repeat monthly.
Alan

Posted by thpope:
Yes there is. Do you think it is a good idea to push Toodledo's customer's to their competitors? I'm sorry, but I wouldn't want you speaking for my company.
I'm not speaking for the company. The company has already responded to you directly and they have told you exactly what their stance is. I am not pushing you away at all! I'm simply stating the facts thpoope.

1) RTM does what you want, but is missing much of the functionality of Toodledo, and hasn't done much to enhance their product in the past 18 months.

2) Toodledo also does want you want and more, but for $2.50 a month.

What I'm said was you work patterns and needs are based on things that are important to you and that is the way it should be, and so you have the two choices outlined above. In the end, I certainly hope you choose Toodledo, because as I've stated, it's a wonderful product with great features, and it is very well supported by the developer. I left RTM a few months back. I would never recommend that anyone go there.
thpope

Don't care and don't need your advice Alan. Didn't even ask for it.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.