ForumsQuestionsPros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.

Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
KBC1-Gold-Expired-May2020

Posted: Aug 23, 2019
Score: 1 Reference
I did not want to tempt fate and mess up my Gold account which is good for another 9 months.

So I opened a new GMail email address, and used that to buy the Lifetime Plus from Stack Social.
https://stacksocial.com/sales/toodledo-plus-lifetime-subscription

Then you click a link they give you that goes to Toodledo. Then you use the new gmail address to create an all new, free Toodledo account. Then you enter the purchase code and upgrade from free to lifetime plus. Now you have two accounts.

Run a backup on your Silver account and download that to your local PC and save forever. Also so a CSV backup for extra safety - that can always been used in Excel if Toodledo ever goes down.

Next, upload the backup / restore that to the lifetime plus account that you just opened. That will make the plus account identical to the old silver account. Start using the plus account instead of the Silver account. When the silver account expires, it will downgrade to free and you will lose some functions. But use the Lifetime plus account instead. Use the old silver account, which will eventually downgrade to free, as a backup. You can restore the Plus account / write it over top the Silver account / every so often to keep them in parallel.

This is a lot of trouble, and there are some redundancies, but I don’t trust ToodleDo and I do not know what is going to happen in the future. Maybe StackSocial will survive if ToodleDo does not. This gives me two options / backups.

More to come...

This message was edited Aug 23, 2019.

Of course you could totally disregard my previous messsage. Instead, use your current ToodleDo email address to buy a Lifetime Plus upgrade from Stack Social. You must use the same email as you have in ToodleDo to make the purchase. When you get the purchase code, follow the promo link that StackSocial gives you. Log on to your Silver account and use the purchase code to upgrade your Silver account. I don’t know for sure if this will work, but there is a good chance it might.

I wanted to keep my Gold account intact and thus I did not want to overwrite the new Plus lifetime over my Gold account. That’s why I opened a new free account and upgraded that to plus lifetime. And now I have two accounts for redundancy. I use the plus lifetime as my main account and back it up every Saturday. If it goes down, I can try restoring the backup to my gold account, at least until that one expires. I know this is convoluted and redundant, but it gives me some options if ToodleDo the company shuts down.

BEFORE you do anything, make multiple local backups, including a CSV backup. If you somehow lose your data on ToodleDo, you can open the CSV with Excel. I recommend weekly backups, or even more often. This only takes a few seconds. My ToodleDo notes go back ten years and are very critical to me. And I have time-based tasks that go out five years into the future that I cannot afford to lose.

More to come...

Score: 0 Reference
My redundant Toodledo backups give me protection if StackSocial runs into issues with the Lifetime upgrades, or if Toodledo the company shuts down, or if the Toodledo server goes down. Who knows how this situation is going to play out?

Option one is to read the CSV files using Excel. Another option is possibly uploading my Toodledo files into another app, such as RTM.

Over the years, many software companies have come and gone / have been sold / have shut down? Does anyone remember Sidekick? How about ACT and Telemagic? Or Goldmine? Did anyone here ever have a Palm Pilot? I think I still have some old notes and data from those apps in a data warehouse. I like to keep an archive of old data for audit trail purposes. You never know when you might need some old note from a business deal or social occasion.

Advisory: I saw a reference somewhere that said this deal expires in four days. Maybe they will extend that, but just sayin’...

https://stacksocial.com/sales/toodledo-plus-lifetime-subscription

$40 five year (renewable) subscription to ToodleDo Plus. What is that, $8 per year if you use it for five years? $4 per year if you renew for another five years (assuming that someone keeps the server running)?

Scott Florack

Posted by KBC1-Gold-Standby:
You must use the same email as you have in ToodleDo to make the purchase.

That's actually not true. I have my own domain and used two separate email addresses: one to purchase from Android Central Digital Offers (aka StackSocial) and another one for my Toodledo account (which I've had for 7-8 years).

You receive a gift code from StackSocial and just add it to your Toodledo account. I think the people are only having issues when they already have a paid account and the system doesn't know how to handle upgrades or extensions.
jzamoras

Posted by Scott Florack:
Posted by KBC1-Gold-Standby:
You must use the same email as you have in ToodleDo to make the purchase.

That's actually not true. I have my own domain and used two separate email addresses: one to purchase from Android Central Digital Offers (aka StackSocial) and another one for my Toodledo account (which I've had for 7-8 years).

You receive a gift code from StackSocial and just add it to your Toodledo account. I think the people are only having issues when they already have a paid account and the system doesn't know how to handle upgrades or extensions.

you upgraded a free account?
Scott Florack

Posted: Aug 25, 2019
Correct. I had a subscription many months ago, but allowed it to lapse when they suggested tripling the price.
Fernando

Posted: Aug 26, 2019
Got it working.

This message was edited Aug 26, 2019.
M

Posted: Nov 15, 2019
Has anybody canceled an existing (but soon-to-renew) Toodledo account after backing data up, and then used the StackSocial offer to get a "new" account using the email address tied to the just-canceled Toodledo account?

I'd really like to keep the account with the same email address. Even though it may disappear at any moment.
Mark H

Posted: Nov 15, 2019
It really doesn't matter which email address you use. If you use the email to receive notification, you can register a new free gmail account and set up email forwarding there to your old email address. Then use the new gmail address to register toodledo.
Yeh I took the bullet and got the StackSocial deal. Pretty happy about it with the new account and old data.
M

Posted: Nov 17, 2019
It appears I've waited too long - looks like StackSocial is "sold out" on the Toodledo deal.

Anant - any chance you'd offer a similar deal direct to a LONG TIME user ?
boydston01

Posted: Dec 05, 2019
Score: 2 Reference
Well, after many years with Toodledo, I am moving to Remember the Milk.

A bit of an over-simplistic comparison:
RTM is extremely similar to Toodledo (with most differences in the UI, not functionality) with the giant pro of RTM providing drag and drop sorting.

For me, drag and drop was the only feature really missing from Toodledo (ignoring broader level integration features like gcal 2-way sync).

Definitely check out RTM for very similar functionality to Toodledo.

Farewell, Toodledo. I’ll miss you.
Larry3

Posted: Dec 17, 2019
@DrFrankBuck - I see on the forum main page you posted to this forum 2 days ago but your post is not shown here. I don't know why but your posts don't show for me and when I clicked on your name to show all posts recent posts aren't shown.

Some others have commented that they couldn't see your posts in the past so I don't know if anyone else is still having this problem.

This message was edited Dec 17, 2019.
pawelkaleta

Posted: Dec 17, 2019
Posted by Larry3:
@DrFrankBuck - I see on the forum main page you posted to this forum 2 days ago but your post is not shown here. I don't know why but your posts don't show for me and when I clicked on your name to show all posts recent posts aren't shown.

Some others have commented that they couldn't see your posts in the past so I don't know if anyone else is still having this problem.

The same for me. Seems like @DrFankBuck is using some invisible font ;)
oletros

Posted: Dec 18, 2019
Posted by Larry3:

Yes, yo have to search their user name and then they appear
byerun

Posted: Dec 28, 2019
Well, after almost 10 years of using Toodledo I've jumped ship and moved on to Amazing Marvin. I've been dreading going through the migration of my hundreds of tasks to a new task manager but now that I've done it I'm glad it's over and I've been very pleased so for with Amazing Marvin.

Amazing Marvin has a direct import option for Toodledo CSV export files but I didn't find it reliable for my data so I took another route. If you're considering moving a large number of tasks to Amazing Marvin I've written up notes on the approach I took in case you find it helpful:
Toodledo to Amazing Marvin Conversion Notes.
tonton

Posted: Jan 27, 2020
Isn't Amazing Marvin roughly the same price as Toodledo?
J O D

Posted: Jan 28, 2020
It really isn't. (96 $).

Posted by tonton:
Isn't Amazing Marvin roughly the same price as Toodledo?
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.