ForumsQuestionsNesting of Subtasks

Nesting of Subtasks
J-Mac

Posted: Oct 27, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
I saw that the "Show Subtasks" link was replaced with a link called "Toggle Subtasks", so I checked the News section and I found that there is now a filter that allows you to always show subtasks as nested. However I am not really seeing much of a change, so maybe I don't fully understand the new feature.

First, this is a filter and thus has to be selected in any and every view that you use, rather than an option to make the subtasks always shown nested under the parent in all views.

Second, the subtasks are never shown when the "nested" filter is on; instead they are always hidden under the parent unless you click on "Toggle Subtasks". And that toggle is not sticky either.

So there is effectively no change IMO, because you now cannot see your subtasks at all if you prefer them nested unless you click on "Toggle Subtasks" every time you enter a view.

So before to see my subtasks always visible and always nested under the parent I had to enter a view and click on "Show all Subtasks".

Now to see my subtasks always visible and always nested under the parent I have to enter a view and click on "Toggle Subtasks".

Same action required to always have visible nested subtasks. Only the name of the link has changed.

Or am I missing something here?

Jim
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 30, 2008
Score: 1 Reference
"Toggle Subtasks" is the same thing as "Show/Hide subtasks" We just changed the words. It works the same way.

The new filter "next/flatten subtasks" works differently. It causes subtasks to be hidden under their parent task by default, if you want this. The filters are stick on a per-view basis.

We are working on a way to have subtasks nested and revealed by default.

Thanks
jcroall

Posted: Dec 30, 2008
I would love to have "toggle subtasks" on by default, it makes for a great overview page.

Thanks!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 31, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion.
chrisrolison

Posted: Jan 06, 2009
I would also love to have "Toggle Subtasks" on by default, it's the only thing missing for me!
james

Posted: Jan 06, 2009
I've just joined the world of toodledo and also find it disruptive to have to repeatedly choose to show sub-tasks. I also miss not being able to see the Task>Subtask view on my iPhone.
mgd

Posted: Jan 25, 2009
Just adding my vote. Surprised this isn't an option already.
Brian

Posted: Mar 13, 2009
Just want to add my vote to this as well. Having "toggle subtasks" on by default is high on my list, too. Thanks for listening.
jlandonsmith - work

Posted: Mar 25, 2009
Ditto. It only makes since to have this be the default view if you're using taskd as projects with sub-tasks attached to them.
dave.goodnature

Posted: Mar 25, 2009
Ditto. I choose this view every time.
rob

Posted: May 05, 2009
Agreed. This would save me several "ugh!"s per day!
Dave

Posted: May 23, 2009
+1

Is this going to happen? Looks like it's been talked about for a while
Anders

Toodledo recently said they are working on a big update to subtasks: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/2004/-9415/resort-tasks-on-changes-and-add-a-subtask-feature.html

Don't know whether this feature will be in that update, but they have to know how popular it is.

~Anders
Dave

Thanks, it's day 1 for me here, and hadn't seen that one yet, floating around aimlessly and randomly at the moment.

Been reading other old threads too about sub-tasks, but have seen nothing on nesting of tasks within other sub tasks, or dependencies.

Has this been mentioned anywhere I may have missed? For me to be able to nest 2,3 or 4 deep would be fantastic, you then couldn't/wouldn't clear a parent task until sub tasks had been completed (which, this thought in mind, is how I ended up finding this thread <G>)
Anders

Posted by Dave:
Thanks, it's day 1 for me here

Welcome. It's a very cool site. The forums are a bit difficult to navigate, but improved search is another thing Toodledo has already put on their todo list: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/1969/-9394/updates-to-forums.html

...nesting of tasks within other sub tasks, or dependencies.
Has this been mentioned anywhere I may have missed?

Yes:
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/1247/-8875/subtasks-only-go-down-one-level.html
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/1817/-8275/linking-tasks-by-tasks-that-proceed-another-one.html
Dave

Reading those now. Thanks
dmac

I too want to vote for a permanent setting or default for grouping sub tasks. I'd love to avoid having to click "Toggle Subtasks" several times every time I go into the todo list on the web.
mkkane82

Posted: Jul 01, 2009
+1 for Toggle Subtasks always on. Don't know if this has been added yet... If it has, I can't locate it.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.