ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by "
Duo

Score: 0
  • Duo
  • Posted: Feb 12, 2021
  • Score: 0
For all we know that could be nothing more than having previously open tabs reopen when he starts his web browser up again.
Duo

Posted Dec 30, 2020 in: We’re Back
  • Duo
  • Posted: Dec 30, 2020
Posted by cjdenbow:
I still have a paid account, which I’m paying on a monthly basis. I have not used Toodledo in several months, mainly because the interface with iOS is still not reliable and seems to be totally stagnant. There are also some things on the web interface that are not working, which I’ve submitted trouble tickets on, with no response. In the meantime I’ve been using Nozbe, which is pretty good. There are some things in Toodledo that I prefer, but I won’t wait much longer. I’ll give them another month or two, and then I’m out of here. The lack of responses recently, despite the name of this thread, seems to indicate that they are not really back. It has all the telltale signs of a dying product, which is too bad, as it was once a unique and very useful product. I hope that I’m wrong, and that they are really working behind the scenes and will soon re-emerge, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

I'm curious as to why you would keep paying every month, if you are no longer using it, rather than stopping your subscription and then restarting it if it looks like Toodledo are going to start working on the product and supporting it.
Duo

Posted Dec 23, 2020 in: Can't unsubscribe
  • Duo
  • Posted: Dec 23, 2020
Posted by Brianus:
[...]

What am I supposed to do about this? I do not want to be billed for a dead product.

Talk to your card provider and ask them to block transactions from Toodledo. Hopefully they will be able to help you.

This message was edited Dec 23, 2020.
Duo

Posted Dec 13, 2020 in: Toodledo Notes Alternatives
  • Duo
  • Posted: Dec 13, 2020
Notion (https://notion.so) should be able to import notes from a CSV file.

In addition, there are many tools that can be used to reformat text in a CSV file to plain text notes. There are online tools, applications you can download on different operating systems and also command line tools on platforms like UNIX/Linux (and presumably available on Mac via Homebrew?).

Otherwise, copy and paste like Ummagumma said.
Duo

• Duo
  • Posted: Dec 02, 2020
Posted by Ummagumma:
I created a quick poll to see what people plan on doing given the situation at TD - what are you moving on to (or have already), or sticking with TD, or have no plan. Just for the benefit of our community.

http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/aeontg/my-plan

Link to poll results

http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/pfwmsx/my-plan/view

Hmm, interesting. Especially those hoping for a miracle.

You may want to add Amazing Marvin to the list. I believe that some people moved there already, although I don't know if they every visit these forums now.
Duo

Posted Dec 02, 2020 in: Toodledo still alive?
  • Duo
Posted by cj:
Posted by Duo:
Posted by CharleneTX:
When did they stop accepting money? My autorenewal happened in August and wasn't downgraded.

It could just be another broken piece of the system that is stopping them from taking money and not any deliberate action on their part.

Doubtful ...
My account was deliberately (and automatically) downgraded from one of the premium levels to the free account.

Was this somehow different from the usual automatic downgrade that happens when they haven't been paid?
Duo

Posted Dec 02, 2020 in: Toodledo still alive?
  • Duo
Posted by CharleneTX:
When did they stop accepting money? My autorenewal happened in August and wasn't downgraded.

It could just be another broken piece of the system that is stopping them from taking money and not any deliberate action on their part.

This message was edited Dec 02, 2020.
Duo

Posted Nov 25, 2020 in: Qn: No support at [email protected]?
Score: 1
  • Duo
  • Posted: Nov 25, 2020
  • Score: 1
Posted by michael.elias23:
Yes, support seems abounded. Who are the owners? So we can all try to reach out to to them

What for? Do you think perhaps that they don't know they bought Toodledo and that now it's abandoned?

They were the ones who abandoned it.
Duo

Posted Nov 25, 2020 in: Toodledo still alive?
  • Duo
  • Posted: Nov 25, 2020
Don't waste your time or your money. It's dead.
Duo

Posted Nov 21, 2020 in: anyone have trouble cancelling account?
  • Duo
  • Posted: Nov 21, 2020
Posted by Stallion & the Antelope:
I am having a similar issue with trying to cancel and getting no response. They do not have a phone number or even a chat feature? And the forums are reporting that they are sometimes too busy to reply right away to their customers? Hmmm . . . me thinks they need some sort of a time management software that could help with this issue. LOL I will keep an eye on my business banking to make sure I'm not charged. (shrugs shoulders)

Can't you have your bank / card issuer block the transaction now so you don't have to deal with it retroactively if the payment gets taken?
Duo

Posted Aug 25, 2020 in: lost a recently completed task
  • Duo
  • Posted: Aug 25, 2020
I'm sorry to say this but you would do well to invest your time elsewhere.

I'd look at different software and try to get a refund from Toodledo if I were you.
Duo

Posted Jul 15, 2020 in: All tasks missing!?
  • Duo
  • Posted: Jul 15, 2020
Sold several weeks ago??

I think you mean sold 2 years ago this month - see the announcement for the 6th of July 2018:

https://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/25931/0/future-plans.html

The people who bought it have just been unable to cope and it seems that some have moved on.

Since the sale they have offered nothing but a string of broken promises and poor communication... and a significant price hike.

Posted by MVR_2:
Toodledo was sold several weeks ago. None of the recent IOS app updates worked, so now you are asked to delete the app, reinstall it and go to settings- sync- and login again- but of course that does not work— tasks are still not loading, app is slow and freezes... It looks like the new owners have gone AWOL. I have tons of tasks, notes and use it on iPhone and IPad. The web version works but I am wondering for how long. I am losing confidence and trust. It would be different if they would post a response. Seems like another hassle in a difficult pandemic season.

This message was edited Jul 15, 2020.
Duo

Posted Jul 09, 2020 in: iOS Update - June 2020
  • Duo
  • Posted: Jul 09, 2020
Posted by strativourakis:

[...]

*TOODLE-FREAKIN'-DO* released an update after what; 3 YEARS???

[...]

Man do I feel sorry for all y'all who immediately updated it. Truly; I've been in your boat & totally understand.

One small lesson is to NEVER immediately install updates for ANY major, critical app or device you use. ALWAYS wait at LEAST a few days or longer to update and always a good idea to research first to see if others have had problems.

Again; I'm very sorry for the issues users are having; we really shouldn't HAVE to take this much caution when installing app updates, but here we are...

[...]

From what I'm reading it unfortunately seems like many people had auto-update enabled and so received a new broken app automatically.

If as you say, this is the first Toodledo update in over 3 years it would have come out of the blue.

Also, I believe that on iOS it is all or nothing, unlike Android - you can't choose which apps to auto-update. Is that correct?
Duo

Posted Jul 08, 2020 in: Tasks and Notes disappeared
  • Duo
  • Posted: Jul 08, 2020
Look in the other forums. There has been plenty of discussion about this issue there.

What happened is that apparently Toodledo updated the iOS app without warning and this new version has a lot of issues. Don't remove the new version until you have read the other posts.

Posted by sech1947:
My tasks and notes have disappeared as of 7/6. I’ve used Toodledo for years daily and have never had this happen. What happened?
Duo

Posted Jan 08, 2020 in: Toodledo Update August 2019
  • Duo
  • Posted: Jan 08, 2020
Posted by Ummagumma:

1) They are indeed located in Hong Kong but someone found out some time ago that the person whose name the domain was registered to had a mainland address. See the first review here:

https://alternativeto.net/software/ticktick/reviews/

“ Ticktick.com was registered by a Damon Woo of Xihu Street, Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province, 310007, China.
His email address is [email protected]. (You can also find his phone number... and a whole bunch of other details.)”

Now, they’ve since changed the registration to what looks like some US intermediary company, but it’s clear that someone at TT lived in mainland China, or at least had an address there. And when I first read about this and checked for myself, about two years ago, it was still the same address.

2) This doesn’t really matter anyway because HK autonomy is quickly eroding and a small HK company will not have much leverage if the mainland authorities or criminals or a large corporation become interested in the data they have access to.

3) This is why the location of servers doesn’t mean much from data security perspective if the key people who can access them are located in a less secure place.

And this is why I just can’t trust them with my organization data. We are dealing with lots of somewhat sensitive projects (from business and technological perspective) across many industries and I just don’t want to have to self-censor every task and every note.

Ummagumma,

Thank you for this detailed response and sorry about taking so long to reply; I'm just not on the Toodledo site very much these days.

Unfortunately that review and the other information only increases my own worries. I was trailing TickTick over six years ago because I was never really happy with Toodledo but when I wanted to use it for business purposes I wasn't comfortable putting work tasks, or even the more personal tasks there, so I went all in with Toodledo for a while and kept testing various tools.

I stopped using Toodledo quite a while ago and switched to Todoist but I'm still looking for the tool that fits me and my workflow.

This message was edited Jan 08, 2020.
Duo

Posted Dec 12, 2019 in: Toodledo Update August 2019
  • Duo
  • Posted: Dec 12, 2019
Posted by Ummagumma:
Over a year ago, probably in 2017, when I first started looking at TickTick, someone posted the address of the person who owned the domain, and it was in mainland China. I can probably still find the information.

I just checked, and now it's registered through some company in the US. TickTick team says that some of them are in China, some in the US, and that the non-Chinese data is stored on AWS servers in the US. This is all fine and dandy, however if their management or the key members of their team with access to user data are located in China, the physical locations of servers don't mean squat. It's extremely easy to apply pressure to someone in a country like China, especially if this someone is a Chinese citizen or has Chinese citizen relatives / girlfriend / friends.

This is probably not a big deal if you are using it for personal tasks. Nobody cares that your credit card bill is due on Friday. But work-related tasks have far too much project data.

When you say some of them are in China, do you mean Hong Kong? If so please say that, rather than China (or Hong Kong, China, if you feel the need).

Also, as far as I know, they said that they formed while in the US (studying I think) then moved back to Hong Kong.

I used to use TickTick a lot and interacted with them from time to time and I don't remember them saying that some of them were in China.

Regarding data, I believe that they run two different systems; one for Mainland Chinese users, which would have data stored in China and one for everybody else, which has data stored on AWS in the USA. With all systems managed from Hong Kong.

This message was edited Dec 12, 2019.
Duo

Posted Dec 12, 2019 in: Toodledo Update August 2019
  • Duo
  • Posted: Dec 12, 2019
Posted by Ummagumma:
My only gripe with TickTick is the service location. I did some digging and while the servers are claimed to be based in Hong Kong, it seems that the address for the owner of domain was in the mainland China. Not that there's going to be much distinction left, eventually, the way the events have been unraveling. China is notorious for industrial espionage and IP theft. Otherwise, it's a very nice service.

Which domain are you talking about?
Duo

Posted Oct 25, 2019 in: Toodledo Update August 2019
Score: -1
  • Duo
  • Posted: Oct 25, 2019
  • Score: -1
Posted by c5000nc:
I've had several emails back and forth with Anant. While he does a poor job of keeping us up to date, he seems pretty dedicated to cleaning up old code before moving on to improvements.

Here's what Anant wrote me earlier this week, partly in response to me asking what others speculated about, namely, merging into RTM.........

"There won't be any merger [with RTM], as Toodledo has a lot more features than RTM or any other tasks management app. We got stuck because of the 7 year old code-base, which has just been patched up over the years. We are working on updating that and releasing a stable release first, before implementing new features."

It sounds like it's taking longer than he thought, to clean up what his predecessors should have done before he was hired.

I for one am just glad Anant's actually doing it every day, even if he doesn't tell us much about the specifics.

He would have known this was an issue well over a year ago. In fact it would have been very clear from talking to Jake during the handover.

I think it is pretty clear that the site is nothing but spaghetti code to anyone using it who has appropriate IT knowledge. So to someone like Anant who has appropriate IT knowledge, access to the back-end, the source code, the original developer plus any documentation that exists, I hardly think it would come as a surprise.
Duo

Posted Sep 17, 2019 in: Toodledo Update August 2019
  • Duo
  • Posted: Sep 17, 2019
Posted by KBC1-Gold-Active:
[...]
Someone above mentioned open source, which has pros and cons. In addition to that, I am wondering about the possibility of the dedicated users here somehow creating a group that (legally) acquires a master copy of TD and finds a hosting service somewhere where it can run into perpetuity with crowdfunding by users? Someone else here will understand the potential better than I do -- but the result would be something of a public broadcasting model where users support the service with donations and the service is managed / maintained by volunteers.

The ability to backup a ToodleDo file and restore it into another account would (should?) make it possible for us to upload our current files to another SaaS server running the ToodleDo master code. TO BE CLEAR -- I am advocating that this be done in a totally legal, ethical above-board way with the knowledge and permission of the current ToodleDo owners, and possibly with the cooperating and assistance of the previous owner (Jake?). Sure, there would be some issues to be worked out, but, without getting into too many details too early, does any of this seem plausible?
[...]

@KBC1 it's good that you are trying to find a way forward. However...

I believe that the only way for this to survive is either for them to open source it or for someone to come in who has very deep pockets and a commitment to spend and take losses for some years while trust is rebuilt and a user base that can sustain the product is built.

Even if they open source it it will take quite some time for people with the appropriate skills and an interest to pick up the parts that they can handle or want to handle and for the project to be organised in a way that allows for maintaining and supporting the current system and for the long-term development and support, which would be necessary to secure its future.

The main issue with acquiring the code and just putting it on a server (once setup is complete) is security. Vulnerabilities are discovered all the time and these need to be fixed. Sometimes in the OS, sometimes in the libraries that are being used, sometimes in the code itself, sometimes in other applications like the web server, etc, etc.

Also, as far as I know each part of Toodledo is coded separately, plus there are the old and new versions of each part plus the iOS and Android apps, plus the Beta versions.

There is a lot to do just to maintain the current service from a security standpoint. This is one of the issues I had when the new owners decided to keep Notes, Outlines, Lists and Habits open but not develop them.

Then there is the actual running of the systems and the maintenance of the underlying systems including the servers, web servers, MongoDB and PostgreSQL databases (as far as I know). Could I secure and run it? Yes. Would I secure and run it? No!

Either way the future doesn't look too bright.

Even if people were still willing to pay for the product at the current or even at the pre-buyout price, the new owners have inflicted a great deal of damage to the Toodledo brand and they continue to inflict damage on it to this day. As has been pointed out here recently, good communication is really all they have left to offer and they are failing at that too.

This message was edited Sep 17, 2019.
Duo

Posted Sep 11, 2019 in: Toodledo Update August 2019
  • Duo
  • Posted: Sep 11, 2019
Posted by c5000nc:
[..]
3. Many of us have critical information for our businesses and personal lives on ToodleDo, and want some assurance it is safe, backed up, etc. Part of that assurance is that ToodleDo has enough financial resources to pay the server bills, etc. We need plenty of notice to back up, move to another platform, etc., if that were to not be the case. We hope it won't be, because most of us want to stay on the ToodleDo platform.

[...]

Well if the handling of the product over the last year wasn't enough to ring a warning bell for you, surely the antics over the last couple of months are a klaxon going off right next to your ear.

For a while I only had Tasks that required review every month or longer in Toodledo as well as old Notes, old Lists and old Outlines. Starting in June I took the time to make sure they were all fully exported and to import any data that I require easy access to into other tools. It was very time consuming but it's done.

Even if you don't want to move to another application right now, I strongly recommend making your own daily data backups or perhaps setting up something like IFTTT to write out every item of data and every change to a Google Doc or something similar and then also doing a weekly export from Toodledo.

This message was edited Sep 11, 2019.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6      Next