ForumsTips & TricksPlease hire a UI Designer

Please hire a UI Designer
revpjh

Posted: Jun 03, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
Perhaps a good example of the makeover needs would be "delete task." I just started with this application. I was going nuts trying to figure out how to delete a completed task, looking for an icon and finding none. (Am I just dense??) It was reading here that I learned about hovering, and now I can do it. Thanks, guys. But I shouldn't have had to flirt with giving up the application before finding this in a forum.
Claudio

Posted: Jun 03, 2010
Score: -1 Reference
Actually, this is part of the problem with the "spreadsheet format" of Toodledo, which is either too wide if you want to display all fields, or incomplete if you want a cleaner layout with fewer fields. (The multi-line is an alternative but would be much more useful if it displayed more than two fields.)

There is a Trashcan icon that you can use to delete a task, instead of using the "hover over the checkbox to display Delete Task" method. The icon is at the far left of the task list.

For some reason, the Trashcan icon can be hidden. You can make it visible by going here: http://www.toodledo.com/account_edit.php?edit=8 and selecting it.
tcalbaz

Posted: Jun 04, 2010
Yes I agree that the Toodledo interface could use a little more work. For my two cents my biggest concern are the color themes. I'd love to see a little bit more of profesional looking color theme selections suitable for the workplace. Everyone at my office is used to outlook. And I'd like my Toodledo to blend in with the work environment. Perhaps we could have a series of themes that are muted without high contrast, dramatic or gaudy colors? Shades of gray would be nice. If a theme could match a users default windows color scheme that would be terrific! As far as functionality is concerned, Toodledo is awesome!

This message was edited Jun 04, 2010.
David

Posted: Jun 10, 2010
I would love to see a redesign that would look something along the lines like this http://www.potionfactory.com/thehitlist/
PeterW 

Posted: Jun 10, 2010
That looks good. I like the combination of folders at the top and nav on the left hand side. The nav menu design looks like something else I've seen (maybe Omnifocus?) and I can see that it's also the inspiration for Nirvana's design.

Hopefully a big overhaul of the Toodledo interface is in the works now.
Transisto

Posted: Jun 11, 2010
Score: -10 Reference
We human are very good at differentiating colors and symbols.
I'm not a UI designer so I may be wrong.

Ps: iPhone icons should be bigger than the capital letter beside em.

If you're interested : I know of a 12yo kids that could resize them for 10$

;)

This message was edited Jun 11, 2010.
Tim

Posted: Jul 05, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
On first use, I was also put off by the look of the UI. However, I persisted and eventually became a Pro user simply because of the powerfulness of Toodledo.

However, a bit of GUI redesign wouldn't go amiss! It could look much better - but I wouldn't like the ease of use to be reduced in any way.

Tim
PeterW 

Posted: Jul 05, 2010
If you are using FireFox or Chrome, don't forget to check out the user-developed themes - they can make quite a difference.
janiskf

Posted: Jul 09, 2010
Agreed. There are 100 things that could make ToodleDo easier and more fun to use online. Flyovers, use of colors, views that really pare it down to a minimum, and I'm not anywhere near being a designer of any sort.

I'm using GotToDo for Android and love it (except for its conspicuous lack of tag usage). I find I really try to do my task management on my phone, even though it's clunkier in some respects.

I mean, it's not impossible, but yeah.
Salgud

Posted: Jul 14, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I tried out Toodledo a year or more ago, but left because of the interface. It has all of the features I want in a task manager, and a few more. A few more is good. But coming from Things, with that gorgeous interface, I just didn't want to look at Toodledo.

Since Things is apparently dead (two small feature upgrades in over a year plus a couple of bug fixes, I finally decided to try Toodledo again. But it's still a very practical but butt ugly interface. This would be a killer app if it had a better looking UI. Not asking for a Things-like interface, just something less cluttered and more elegant looking. I know a good designer could make it look much better, without loss of functionality. I'd be happy if a few features were tucked away instead of so much going on in the main view.

I hope something can be done to make Toodledo not only extremely functional, but at least easier to look at.

Thanks!
PeterW 

Posted: Jul 14, 2010
@spamboy6547 - I agree that the interface needs improvement. Toodledo is aware also and I hope it is currently being worke on.

Were you aware that you can install user theme scripts in FireFox and Chrome to make things look a little better? I use FireFox with the free Stylish add-in along with a theme that puts the tabs down the side instead of across the top and with more subdued colors. It's worth a look while we wait for a better default interface.
Salgud

Posted: Jul 15, 2010
@PeterW

Yes, I am aware of the themes. Thanks for mentioning them. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with IE7 at work, and I have a Mac at home. Don't know if those themes will work on the OSX platform yet.

Still, I think that Toodledo needs more than a theme to make it more palatable to the eye. I saw that this is a common complaint and decided to add my 2 bits.
prios

Posted: Jul 16, 2010
Currently giving TaskAngel a go. Clean UI and syncs with Toodledo. The developer is quick to reply to questions.

http://www.mypocketsoft.com/taskangel/

This message was edited Jul 16, 2010.
Andrew

Posted: Jul 21, 2010
@Salgud

This is for you and for anyone else on OS X who doesn't know how to implement userstyles yet. A userstyle is a bunch of CSS overrides that change the appearance of a webpage to your liking. Because it is just CSS, you can use them on any platform. You can implement them in a number of ways. In Firefox there is Stylish. In Chrome there are plugins too.

The way I use Toodledo on the Mac is through a SSB with VinTom's Dark Theme (http://userstyles.org/styles/18480). This is the result:

Screenshot would be here but I couldn't get the img tag to work

The way you get this, or any of VinTom's other styles in a Fluid SSB is by clicking the "Userstyles" icon in the preferences, then paste everything from the userstyle in the box starting with the a { override . Do not copy the first few lines. You can find the userstyle code on the theme page where the button says "Show Code".

This message was edited Jul 21, 2010.
TChipperfield

Posted: Jul 22, 2010
When I first looked at Toodledo I did think it looked a little pants, but even now (just a week later) I think its great.

The idea of a to do list is to get things done, I don't need a fluffy interface to get things done and I have come to like it's look and I honestly love it's functionality.
mahmoodadeel

Posted: Jul 26, 2010
A prettier toodledo. Yes plz.

Its a gr8 tool but seriously i dont even like looking at it. If it didnt have the functionalities i would have been long gone.
steve.cornelius

Posted: Jul 30, 2010
Agree with all out the poor interface. Time for an update. For those who think otherwise and rave about functionality (i.e. believe it doesn't really need a better interface)... I give you ... any Apple product.

The UI is a very key part of the functionality. Without it getting better the other features/functionality get lost in the mix.

In all seriousness, if the makers of this fine product would like more specific suggestions, I'd be happy to provide my input (15 + years in development/design, etc.).

Either way, keep up the good work!
Scott

Posted: Jul 30, 2010
Seriously - I don't understand the issue with the UI. It is minimal and functional and I have no trouble finding anything. The day Toodledo turns in to Things or iTunes is when I cancel.

sb
Transisto

Posted: Jul 31, 2010
Score: 2 Reference
Scott : The UI problems are obvious, Unless you've been here for long. I could point you to about 60 place in the interface that would require a few character change to the code to improve the UI.

For example looking at this post : http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/6555/-34771/a-little-fire-underneath-your-seat.html

I am barely requesting a "class='dim'" to be added.

...To me it look like a weekend project more than anything else.

This message was edited Jul 31, 2010.
Scott

Posted: Aug 01, 2010
I've been a Toodledo User for well over 3 years now. I'm not sure if the profile dates are when accounts were created but I guess it's been at least that long.

Are there a couple things I wish were done a little differently - sure. Do I think it's a hideous mess as everyone (especially you) seem to indicate - absolutely no.

I'm just sharing my opinion - which is different from yours. That's all.

Cheers!

sb
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.