ForumsNewsAnd we're back! (from a very prolonged outage)

And we're back! (from a very prolonged outage)
stephenmford

Posted: Jun 12, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Don't be so hard on yourself. Everyone in IT who has designed a major project has gotten bitten by something like this at sometime or another. All the data is back, minus 1 second, so no harm, no foul.

One suggestion would be a colocation. It is all great to have a backup server as a hot standby but if something happens to the datacenter, both servers are down (ask me how I know).

Stephen
6webdesign

Glad it came back quickly, it was a very minor inconvenience. Every website I use for anything goes down occasionally, I love the service so much, it does not bother me! Love the iPhone app too :)
toodledo

Thanks Jake for the incredible effort and fantastic way you treat your customers! Projects feature please :-)
aleelee

Yesterday was the first day of summer break for my kids and we spent the day in the pool. Today as well. So, this is the first I knew of the down time. I came by to see how far behind I was only to find Toodledo had been down for a few hours.

I must say that I am impressed with the way it was handled and am thankful for the extra month, though I don't feel I deserved it since I didn't know it happened until after the fact! ;-)

I am a happy pro customer and wouldn't even consider asking for a refund or going somewhere else because of this. Mistakes happen and you have dealt with them in a way that puts Toodledo above the rest.
Vin Thomas

Posted: Jun 13, 2009
Score: 2 Reference
I had one girl on twitter say she wanted some money back for the outage. What? 1/365th of $14.95 is...

Thanks again for all you did!
davidholliday

Posted: Jun 14, 2009
Glad to have Toodledo back. Jake, you handled this very well. I am luck enugh to have my data living in my iPhone as well so this wasn't a big deal for me personally.

Really good news that everyone's data is restored and nothing lost.
Tyler

I am glad to see I'm not alone in feeling -- very strongly -- that your detailed explanation and apology for the outage only strengthens my commitment to ToodleDo.

As a customer, I truly appreciate your transparency and honesty, and I thank you for having a high enough opinion of your users' intelligence and good-will to share this information with us.

The more common experience I've had is for companies to deny, obscure, hide, or give only partial accounts when their services fail.

You have a great product and a great company. I personally would actually direct potential customers to this thread to demonstrate what a great company you are, and how committed to your users you are.
Allen

Score: 1 Reference
Posted by Vin Thomas:
I had one girl on twitter say she wanted some money back for the outage. What? 1/365th of $14.95 is...

About 4 cents . . . but more than made up for by the [gracious, unnecessary] month compensation.

I've seen downtime with other services . . . I've never seen one so graciously handled by the end users. I expect that has to do with the fact that I have not, either, seen it so transparently handled by the company in question.

Koodledos to Toodledo ;)
ian.camera

Just adding my thanks and appreciation. I'm sure you were sweating bullets, but clearly you have developed a loyal customer base. I wasn't suffering b/c I use your service with Appigo's app on my iphone, so I just ran with that copy for a while.

That said, I'll probably be upgrading to a paid version shortly...so much for losing this customer :-)
Dave

Posted: Jun 16, 2009
I'm not going anywhere. I love Toodledo and I truly appreciate your openness about the problem.

-Dave
Scott

Posted: Jun 16, 2009
I was particularly impressed with how you handled this so I thought I would share

http://webworkerdaily.com/2009/06/16/service-outages-its-all-about-the-response/

Cheers!
SB
Jonathan

Posted: Jun 17, 2009
This issue was perhaps the most specific reason why I went pro with you instead or doing more test with other providers.

And actually, using Toodledo to implement my GTD has been a blast. In only 2 weeks, I am completely addicted to your service.
puremetalcindy

Posted: Jun 18, 2009
WOW! The big boys and their spin doctors could learn a lot from you, Jake and Noah Everett of http://www.twitpic.com. Transparency, honesty, and total willingness to take responsibility for the glitches are the things that make us feel served by customer services. Dude! We have SO been served!
God bless you. Now go get some rest.
Cindy
davidfretz

Posted: Jun 20, 2009
Or, "Hear, hear!"

Posted by jpropper:
here here
Proximo

Posted: Jun 22, 2009
This is why everyone needs to switch from a free account to at least a Pro.

At least I think so. :-)
Alan

Posted: Jun 22, 2009
I haven't yet had the chance to post my comments regarding this incident.

Jake, as others have said, your willingness to share the details opening and honestly is the difference between a company that respects and values its customers and one that does not.

Several months ago, after continued frustration with RTM's "we don't care about you" communication policies, I switched to Toodledo. It seems that more and more have made the same decision. I have done what I can to promote the fact that Toodledo is not only a better product, but the support and communication from the company is outstanding and the enhancements are useful, based on customer-feedback and demand, and relatively frequent.

I have no regrets on moving my $$ from RTM to Toodledo. Half of it is because this is a better experience in so many ways, and the other half is because it just feels good to give my annual subscription fee to Toodledo.
RC-DC

Posted: Jun 24, 2009
I have to add my agreement to the comments here - excellent customer support and great updates. To be honest getting away from my tasks gave me the freedom to sit back and read a book, which was a nice break.

Thank you for the honest and detailed explanation. I think anyone even tangentially involved in IT probably learned something from your description, so we're all better off.
MikeKDidIt

Posted: Jun 25, 2009
Though my comments are not really needed since my sentiments agree with nearly every comment I've read, I wanted to join the lovefest. Let me just say thanks for your candor (it is one of the reasons I am here), thanks for you hard work during the outage (been there done that; definitely not fun), and thanks for being concerned enough about your service to (foolishly, I hope) think that you will be issuing lots of refunds, etc. Let me just say that anyone that asked for a refund or credit due to this should be ashamed. Toodledo is a bargain and I am so sorry for taking you guys for granted. I, too, discovered just how much I rely on Toodledo. I remain a proud fan and a very satisfied Pro Subscriber. Toodledo rules!
Adam Lyons

Posted: Jun 29, 2009
Now we have 2 outages in a month. Waiting on the root cause analysis on this one, but it may be time to explore a new hosting provider and please please please implement google gears on this site!
kaipaniolo

Posted: Jun 29, 2009
OK, Our corp email is also on Rackspace and it was down too. Maybe they need to do some explaining.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.