ForumsNewsFeature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans

Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
J.O.D

Posted: Dec 12, 2018
Score: 0 Reference
I for one had left Toodledo, not because of task history, but because of the waves of deformed communication, but these plans have made me to create a new account, because however brilliant RTM is today, my heart still belongs to Toodledo. UI is not so fluent as RTM, but still there is something underneath it, that just makes me feel happy and that reflects also in my life.

Posted by dmos01:
Good that they've finally given Standard 1 year pricing. Unfortunately, they waited too long (and still haven't unofficially announced it). We've been seeing so many posts about people leaving because of the one-week history alone.

Sorry, but no. In older versions of the plans, the free plan had no 3rd party integration, now it states "limited", IDK what this means. But as for paid plans, I expect full capability, but as probably the API will change, it would still require some work form the 3rd parties. But that is my guess only. And I am not totally sure, even Aaron has a clear vision about this just now. Probably the team is in the middle of discussion (as e. g. Alexa integration has Planned status).

Posted by Larry2:
@J.O.D. Do you know what he means by the third party integration changes? Does that mean other todo apps that integrate with Toodledo will no longer work? I'm thinking of such apps as TaskAngel, 2do, Informant, etc?

This message was edited Dec 12, 2018.
Curt

Posted: Dec 13, 2018
Score: 3 Reference
Other than the concern about privacy that I posted previously (still not comfortable with the answer from Aaron or the ambiguous policy esp. with no easy Opt Out button anywhere), I have remained silent as I read the various posts. I still question whether our data is being used for tracking/profit.

We've had three Silver collaborator accounts for over 10 years and although what I believed was a little pricey at $20/year for how we use each of them, they serve our purpose of being able to track our own task items and delegate or share other tasks from both laptop or cell phone app that sync. We don't really need all of the bells and whistles like Habits, long history, Notes, Scheduler, etc. I'm sure that is all very helpful to those that use them, but not something that we use or benefits us. So at $20 each and $60/year total for 3 accounts, it has been tolerable. But now that the Payment Subscription Categories are changing, any paying subscriber is forced at a minimum to pay $36/year (or $108 for three accounts in our case) for some of the basic items we already have.....almost double the price with a lot less features...including the only one we really care about...collaboration. So now to get the collaboration for the three of us, we are forced to go up another level up with more of the features we don't need, but already have with our Silver account. That takes us to $60 each or $180 a year total....a 300% increase with less features!

I remember when the announcement was made that there was going to be new ownership not so long ago and we were assured by the new owners that no drastic changes would be made. Well, I haven't noticed any real productivity or feature improvements, but going from $20/year to $36/year with a lot fewer features, in my opinion, is definitely drastic. Tripling the cost with no increase in performance and still less features is ludicrous and business suicide! There is no way I am paying $180 for a To Do program! I think management is critically miscalculating Toodledo users loyalty to the point where I am seriously concerned that there will be an exodus of paying subscribers as their subscriptions expire and that there will be very few new members that will splurge on a To Do list that has much more affordable competition. Then there have been so many other inconsistencies in the communication (and recently lack thereof) that I don't feel like I can trust anything new that is said about future development and pricing or trust whether my privacy is in fact at risk.

Anyone have any suggestions for a replacement program that has collaboration for at least three users and both laptop and app capability?
J.O.D

Score: 1 Reference
Curt, that it understandable. I have always been using Toodledo for individual purpose only, so I definitely cannot talk about a small team needs. As I see the upcomming plans, I am really not sure that Toodledo will or will not survive e. g. next three years, I only know that I will stay as long as it serves my purpose, which it will in the nearest future. As far as privacy concerns go, I do not share them. My personal choice (and of course a business concerns differ from individual ones) and I leave it at that. And should anything go wrong, I have a well tested exit strategy now (RTM). May you find a better solution for your future, good luck.

This message was edited Dec 13, 2018.
Ummagumma

Curt,

It all depends on what features you need and what platforms you use.

Out of basic free services from major players, MS ToDo has grown into a quite capable and well designed solution. It is still somewhat feature limited compared to Toodledo, but has much better features overall vs iCloud Reminders or Google Tasks. There are three main issues with it:

1. You can’t use it with Outlook or Outlook.com as there’s a sync bug that messes up due dates. Which is not an issue if your laptop runs Windows 10, you can just install ToDo app.
2. AFAIK it still doesn’t have location based reminders.
3. It now finally has a “Master” view of tasks across different lists, but it only works on tasks with Due dates, and can only be sorted by date.

It does have advantages over iCloud or GTasks - a Reminder date separate from Due date (so it can be used as Start time), the ability to “Star” a task, the ability to add a task to “My Day” view, and an elegant tagging system based on plaintext tags.

And of course the big advantage is that it is cross platform and is unlikely to become a paid / subscription service or get bought out.

As I pretty much gave up on trying to use shared task lists with my family members (they prefer texting) and I have to use Outlook at work, this is not what I use. I sync Outlook at home and at work to iCloud Reminders, and use a program called GoodTask for iOS to add features on top of what Reminders offers and maintain feature parity with Outlook. This solution is not cross platform, i.e. it won’t work when you have people with Android and Apple devices in your group.
Curt

Posted by Ummagumma:
Curt,

Out of basic free services from major players, MS ToDo has grown into a quite capable and well designed solution. It is still somewhat feature limited compared to Toodledo, but has much better features overall vs iCloud Reminders or Google Tasks. There are three main issues with it:

1. You can’t use it with Outlook or Outlook.com as there’s a sync bug that messes up due dates. Which is not an issue if your laptop runs Windows 10, you can just install ToDo app.
3. It now finally has a “Master” view of tasks across different lists, but it only works on tasks with Due dates, and can only be sorted by date.

It does have advantages over iCloud or GTasks - a Reminder date separate from Due date (so it can be used as Start time), the ability to “Star” a task, the ability to add a task to “My Day” view, and an elegant tagging system based on plaintext tags.

And of course the big advantage is that it is cross platform and is unlikely to become a paid / subscription service or get bought out.

As I pretty much gave up on trying to use shared task lists with my family members (they prefer texting) and I have to use Outlook at work, this is not what I use. I sync Outlook at home and at work to iCloud Reminders, and use a program called GoodTask for iOS to add features on top of what Reminders offers and maintain feature parity with Outlook. This solution is not cross platform, i.e. it won’t work when you have people with Android and Apple devices in your group.

Thanks for the response guys!!
Sounds like you are well versed in the different Task Mgmt options. We pretty much went from a notepad to a Word doc to Toodledo. So, I'm not really knowledgeable about what is available, but with the 300% price increase, I will quickly learn. We have a small team of three that work together and use it as a simple way to manage our business (and personal for me) tasks and delegate them back and forth on occasion. We already use Podio to collaborate on/setup business system processes and checklists, use BoxSync for sharing/storing documents, Google Calendar to track personal and business appointments and Buildium to manage property and tenants. So for a simple Task Managment software, here is a list of the things we use and want.

1) The ability to use it on two Macbook Pro laptops, one PC, two iPhones, an one android.
2) Have the ability to use it offline on an iPhone and have it sync when we connect to the internet. I travel a lot on airplanes and use the time I'm not connected during taxi out to update my list.
3) The ability to share and delegate tasks between collaborators. I like the feature Toodledo has that allows me to selectively choose which Folder my assistant/office manager can see (ie. They can view my business tasks, but can't see personal tasks).
4) A way to prioritize tasks visually and sort them in a logical manner (I think almost every task management program does this).
5) The ability to search in both laptop and cell phone app.
6) Be able to add notes with more detail about the task
7) Have customizable reminders with the ability to choose format (ie. popup, text, email)

If any of the big dogs (Google, MS, Apple, etc) had a platform that handled those things, I would be more inclined to spend my time moving there and learning their system as in my opinion, they have the resources to keep improving the software and there is a higher probability that will remain in business longer; not to mention the price is either free or cheap. It would be nice if something integrated well with one of the software systems mentioned above (Google Cal, Podio, Box) but I'm not really sure how that would look or what exactly I mean by that question. I guess I just want something that is simple and intuitive and if I can have fewer programs to keep open or review the better.

Any suggestions??
I'd also love to hear from any other small business owners or property managers as to what systems they have designed that work well for them.

Thank you!
roaz

Take a look at ClickUp, it is worth serious consideration. While you may have to adjust your work flow and approach, I found it a worthwhile effort. I use Evernote basic, a free plan to replace Notes.

Good luck with your search.

This message was edited Dec 13, 2018.
Curt

Posted by roaz:
Take a look at ClickUp, it is worth serious consideration. While you may have to adjust your work flow and approach, I found it a worthwhile effort. I use Evernote basic, a free plan to replace Notes.

Thanks for the suggestion Roaz. Are you using ClickUp now and if so, is it working well for you and how do you use it? I also have been using Evernote basic this year and am happy with the capabilities of how you can easily insert pictures and webpage data right into the note and that I can sync notes between my MacBook Pro and iPhone; if you want to add another device, you then need to upgrade to a paid account.
roaz

Posted: Dec 14, 2018
Posted by Curt:
Posted by roaz:

Thanks for the suggestion Roaz. Are you using ClickUp now and if so, is it working well for you and how do you use it? I also have been using Evernote basic this year and am happy with the capabilities of how you can easily insert pictures and webpage data right into the note and that I can sync notes between my MacBook Pro and iPhone; if you want to add another device, you then need to upgrade to a paid account.

Yes, I'm using ClickUp now, I moved to it over the last month. I looked at almost everything, setup and test drove Todoist, RTM & ClickUp and stayed with the later. I use it primarily for personal tasks at this point, since I am a busy retiree. But it certainly has the ability to handle more complex business style requirements and team based implementations. I was a entrepreneur in the tech industry, software & systems consulting and did this for a living. That is why I said "you may have to adjust your work flow and approach" with any new system.

With Evernote, I actually have the premium plan to manage all of my documents and research library. I don't want that entire footprint on all of my devices. I now use a basic subscription, with the 2 device limit, to manage all of my mobile notes and documents. I use shared notebooks from premium to allow my mobile devices have access to selected notes between the plans. So this easily replaced the Notes app and was an improvement. I should have done it that way from the beginning.

This message was edited Dec 14, 2018.
Ummagumma

Posted by Curt:
Posted by Ummagumma:
Curt,

Thanks for the response guys!!
Sounds like you are well versed in the different Task Mgmt options. We pretty much went from a notepad to a Word doc to Toodledo. So, I'm not really knowledgeable about what is available, but with the 300% price increase, I will quickly learn. We have a small team of three that work together and use it as a simple way to manage our business (and personal for me) tasks and delegate them back and forth on occasion. We already use Podio to collaborate on/setup business system processes and checklists, use BoxSync for sharing/storing documents, Google Calendar to track personal and business appointments and Buildium to manage property and tenants. So for a simple Task Managment software, here is a list of the things we use and want.

1) The ability to use it on two Macbook Pro laptops, one PC, two iPhones, an one android.
2) Have the ability to use it offline on an iPhone and have it sync when we connect to the internet. I travel a lot on airplanes and use the time I'm not connected during taxi out to update my list.
3) The ability to share and delegate tasks between collaborators. I like the feature Toodledo has that allows me to selectively choose which Folder my assistant/office manager can see (ie. They can view my business tasks, but can't see personal tasks).
4) A way to prioritize tasks visually and sort them in a logical manner (I think almost every task management program does this).
5) The ability to search in both laptop and cell phone app.
6) Be able to add notes with more detail about the task
7) Have customizable reminders with the ability to choose format (ie. popup, text, email)

If any of the big dogs (Google, MS, Apple, etc) had a platform that handled those things, I would be more inclined to spend my time moving there and learning their system as in my opinion, they have the resources to keep improving the software and there is a higher probability that will remain in business longer; not to mention the price is either free or cheap. It would be nice if something integrated well with one of the software systems mentioned above (Google Cal, Podio, Box) but I'm not really sure how that would look or what exactly I mean by that question. I guess I just want something that is simple and intuitive and if I can have fewer programs to keep open or review the better.

Any suggestions??
I'd also love to hear from any other small business owners or property managers as to what systems they have designed that work well for them.

Thank you!

I think that out of the "Free big guys" solutions, MS ToDo would meet most of your requirements. They have an app for Windows 10, iOS, Android, and most likely Mac; web access; individual list sharing; Search and notes.

You can sort tasks within the list by dates, alphabetically, or by priority. You can only see a master list (tasks across all lists) sorted by due date, and only for the tasks that have a due date; this is a limitation that Google and iCloud tasks also share.

The biggest problem that I have with ToDo is the Date sync bug, which forces you to use their app on iOS and in Windows, as opposed to using a 3rd party or native app. This would not be a problem had I not been reliant on using Siri to add reminders on the fly; there's no Siri integration with ToDo, and no Apple Watch support. If these features are not important to you, I think ToDo would be the best choice, unless you want to go to yet another 3r party service that may get bought out or go to a subscription model. I doubt that MS would do either, anytime soon.
tsinvest

A few thoughts. My setup was the Ultimate Todo List on my Android phone and Toodledo on my laptop. UTL is a great program but now I have been using 2do on my phone and syncing it via Dropbox which allows me to pull it up on my iPad also. Unfortunately this leaves me no solution for my laptop, but that’s okay for the way I work. 2do is an excellent task app for those of you who haven’t tried it. I’m a little concerned with paying for Toodledo. There are signs that concern me. They lost a programmer for one. They still haven’t changed the pricing on their opening page. It still shows $4.99/month for the Silver plan and $7.99 for the Gold plan. They barely participate in the forums. All this has made my confidence level fall quite a bit. I’m taking a wait and see attitude before I commit to using them again.
roaz

Posted by Curt:
Posted by roaz:

ClickUp would even be a strong contender to replace Podio. Just saying...
oakleypark10

Posted: Dec 15, 2018
My needs are really simple. i rely on Outlook tasks as the master and use gSyncit to link my desktop outlook to Toodledo on my iphone. I find native tasks on an iphone just awful. The one feature very hand on the app on my iphone is hotlist but am I going to pay $36 a year for that undecided. Off to look at other options sadly........

I appreciate the developers desire to turn this app into a recurring revenue model but the pricing is steep for the value I would get.

This message was edited Dec 15, 2018.
Ummagumma

Posted: Dec 15, 2018
Posted by oakleypark10:
My needs are really simple. i rely on Outlook tasks as the master and use gSyncit to link my desktop outlook to Toodledo on my iphone. I find native tasks on an iphone just awful. The one feature very hand on the app on my iphone is hotlist but am I going to pay $36 a year for that undecided. Off to look at other options sadly........

I appreciate the developers desire to turn this app into a recurring revenue model but the pricing is steep for the value I would get.

If you are using Outlook and iPhone, look at GoodTask. It uses Reminders as a base / sync engine and adds tons of missing features (Start date, categories, all kinds of filters) which can be synced to or easily replicated in Outlook. And it’s only $10.
Jim_Lewis

Posted: Dec 16, 2018
Score: -1 Reference
I just got to renew my Silver subscription for one year for $19.99. Thanks, Aaron! Good Luck on bringing Toodledo in the future. I think that the price increase to $2.99 a month with improvements offered would be worth it if the history wasn't going to be limited to one week. That seemed to be the sticking point for many people.

But for all I get out of Toodledo, it's so very worthwhile to have the opportunity to renew at the Silver level for at least a year. Hope other folks will get the same opportunity and make the same choice that I just did and then help Aaron take the best path for current and new users on into the future. It would be great to have a variety of price point plans that work for folks like me, a 73-year old retiree with very simple needs, all the way up to folks who'd like to start a small business but don't want all the expense and complexity of planners that come built into other stuff they might or might not need - thinking of the Office 365 type of stuff here where none of the planners that I've tried all the way up to Microsoft Project and CRM software work anywhere near as well as Toodledo does for me.
Curt

Posted: Dec 16, 2018
Posted by DrFrankBuck:
Remember the Milk allows for collaboration in the free version. Take a look. I think you will be pleased at what you see.

Posted by Curt:
Other than the concern about privacy that I posted previously (still not comfortable with the answer from Aaron or the ambiguous policy esp. with no easy Opt Out button anywhere), I have remained silent as I read the various posts. I still question whether our data is being used for tracking/profit.

We've had three Silver collaborator accounts for over 10 years and although what I believed was a little pricey at $20/year for how we use each of them, they serve our purpose of being able to track our own task items and delegate or share other tasks from both laptop or cell phone app that sync. We don't really need all of the bells and whistles like Habits, long history, Notes, Scheduler, etc. I'm sure that is all very helpful to those that use them, but not something that we use or benefits us. So at $20 each and $60/year total for 3 accounts, it has been tolerable. But now that the Payment Subscription Categories are changing, any paying subscriber is forced at a minimum to pay $36/year (or $108 for three accounts in our case) for some of the basic items we already have.....almost double the price with a lot less features...including the only one we really care about...collaboration. So now to get the collaboration for the three of us, we are forced to go up another level up with more of the features we don't need, but already have with our Silver account. That takes us to $60 each or $180 a year total....a 300% increase with less features!

I remember when the announcement was made that there was going to be new ownership not so long ago and we were assured by the new owners that no drastic changes would be made. Well, I haven't noticed any real productivity or feature improvements, but going from $20/year to $36/year with a lot fewer features, in my opinion, is definitely drastic. Tripling the cost with no increase in performance and still less features is ludicrous and business suicide! There is no way I am paying $180 for a To Do program! I think management is critically miscalculating Toodledo users loyalty to the point where I am seriously concerned that there will be an exodus of paying subscribers as their subscriptions expire and that there will be very few new members that will splurge on a To Do list that has much more affordable competition. Then there have been so many other inconsistencies in the communication (and recently lack thereof) that I don't feel like I can trust anything new that is said about future development and pricing or trust whether my privacy is in fact at risk.

Anyone have any suggestions for a replacement program that has collaboration for at least three users and both laptop and app capability?

Thanks Frank, I'll give RTM another look. RTM was a final contender when we chose Toodledo almost 11 years ago. There weren't that many to choose from back then, now there are a plethora of programs.....almost too many.

Anyone else have feedback on RTM? Or have a different suggestion for a To Do program that offers collaboration for 3 users?
pawelkaleta

Posted: Dec 17, 2018
Guys, I'm just wondering. do you really have to post such long quotes? :-)
Purveyor

@pawelkaleta, I agree.

Usually there's no reason to quote a long post. Just click "Post Reply".
MM1772

Posted by Curt:
Anyone else have feedback on RTM?

I don't have any comments on the collaboration features of RTM, but have other comments. Import is easy. Your Context doesn't come across, so if you really depend on context, that might be something you need to consider.

Editing more than one task at a time -- for example, moving a bunch of tasks to a different List (Folder) -- is very easy: just select all you want to move and assign it to a new list.

Notebook Notes (that is, what's under the Notes pull-down, not the notes associated with tasks) don't come over. If you use Toodledo for Notebook Notes, that's another thing to consider.

If you want to manage tasks only, import them (or a few of them) into RTM and see how you like it. You might prefer the way Toodledo does things or not.

This message was edited Dec 17, 2018.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.