ForumsQuestionsDangerous Bug

Dangerous Bug
Charlie5

Posted: Jul 19, 2019
Score: 3 Reference
I've posted about this repeatedly. Happened to me just now. I created a search filter with the following:

Checked Off - Yes
Repeat is - Any

This will immediately find any repeat task that has not regenerated. I've made this a part of my daily routine.
jogo2

Posted: Jul 20, 2019
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by Charlie5:
I've posted about this repeatedly. Happened to me just now. I created a search filter with the following:

Checked Off - Yes
Repeat is - Any

This will immediately find any repeat task that has not regenerated. I've made this a part of my daily routine.

Good idea. I just used it and found 2 tasks that didn't regenerate...

Thanks for posting this!
Ob-La-Di+ruben

Posted: Jul 20, 2019
Score: 2 Reference
Having to do that check really defeats the purpose of having repeating task functionality at all.

And the possibilities of things falling thru the cracks are enormous for all of us using repeat and forgetting to do a manual check as you are.

I take it you have not received any response from dev/support about this (awful) bug?
Charlie5

Posted: Jul 25, 2019
No, they haven't told us anything yet. I posted about it in October: https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/26283/0/recurring-tasks-not-recurring.html

And in December: https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/26367/0/repeating-tasks-failing-to-repeat.html

Others have posted as well.
Ob-La-Di+ruben

Posted: Jul 27, 2019
Score: 0 Reference
It's interesting that Anant said earlier that this code has been untouched for at least 4 years. By implication, it seems, he's saying that this bug has been around for at least that long.

It's a pretty bad bug for anyone using repeat on important tasks so it's curious how it could have gone unnoticed in all that time if it's been around so long.

I take it that no one else ran across this or reported it in all this time?
Duo

Posted: Jul 27, 2019
Posted by rubenB:
It's interesting that Anant said earlier that this code has been untouched for at least 4 years. By implication, it seems, he's saying that this bug has been around for at least that long.

It's a pretty bad bug for anyone using repeat on important tasks so it's curious how it could have gone unnoticed in all that time if it's been around so long.

I take it that no one else ran across this or reported it in all this time?

Hmmm, what he actually said was, "This bug can be traced back to 4 years."

Now that doesn't mean that the bug was active during that period. Jake could have edited it out, mitigated it, fixed it and now the new team have done something to activate it.

Not saying that's what happened but it's a possibility.

I am a very, very heavy user of recurring tasks (many every day, every other day, several a week, several per month, quarterly, bi-annually, every 9 months, annually) and if there is an issue with them I notice right away (as I have done when there are issues on other platforms).

I have never run into this bug and I never saw any complaints about it before, although my not running into the bug and not seeing the odd complaint doesn't really mean much. However, I have never seen a barrage of complaints like I have now and I know that now many people who used Toodledo heavily over the past 4 years no longer use it.

So now we have a stream of complaints with many heavy users no longer using the product.

I think this bug was introduced/re-introduced/activated/re-activated or whatever by code changes made by the new team. I admit that I could be wrong, but then I look at how they implemented multi-select and I'm not so sure that I am.
Ob-La-Di+ruben

Posted: Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, Duo. That was very helpful.

I use repeat a lot too and it's concerning if I can't depend on deterministic (or rather correct) behavior regarding that.
GSP1963

Posted: Aug 11, 2019
So am I correct in thinking this nasty bug, first reported in May, still hasn't been fixed?
Charlie5

Posted: Aug 14, 2019
Correct. I just had one not repeat today.
SirLouen

Posted: Aug 16, 2019
I've implemented the @Charlie5 filter and everything is gone way better
Now I can even check 5 or 6 dailies at once and I don't mind about this, because I promptly check the filter and I resolve the issue fast

But this is huge dangerous bug for such a task system

What it's quite intriguing is what @Duo comments. A heavy recurring user not falling into this?
The most common scenario happens with checking multiple dailies at once

So it's extremely easy to reproduce this bug:

1. Create a lot of dailies, 40 or 50
2. Check them all at once in groups of 10
3. You will see that at least 1 or 2 will end the recurring process.

Maybe there is a sync issue or something. But months continue without this being solved.
Duo

Posted: Aug 16, 2019
Posted by SirLouen:

[...]

What it's quite intriguing is what @Duo comments. A heavy recurring user not falling into this?
The most common scenario happens with checking multiple dailies at once

So it's extremely easy to reproduce this bug:

1. Create a lot of dailies, 40 or 50
2. Check them all at once in groups of 10
3. You will see that at least 1 or 2 will end the recurring process.

Maybe there is a sync issue or something. But months continue without this being solved.

@SirLouen

I read your comment and it made me realise that I need to clarify something -

I USED to be a heavy Toodledo user but not any more.

I stopped using Toodledo for anything other than tasks that only had to be reviewed every few months and historical data shortly after Jake left.

I haven't been in a position to know whether recurring tasks work or not since last year.

I NEVER ran into this issue during my many years of heavy usage while Jake was running the show and I didn't see a stream of reports either.

What I wrote previously does not make the critical point that I have not used the software for recurring tasks since before changes were made by the new owners.

Posted by Duo:
[...]

I am a very, very heavy user of recurring tasks (many every day, every other day, several a week, several per month, quarterly, bi-annually, every 9 months, annually) and if there is an issue with them I notice right away (as I have done when there are issues on other platforms).

I have never run into this bug and I never saw any complaints about it before, although my not running into the bug and not seeing the odd complaint doesn't really mean much. However, I have never seen a barrage of complaints like I have now and I know that now many people who used Toodledo heavily over the past 4 years no longer use it.

[...]

Apologies. This should have contained a statement to the effect that I no longer use this platform in that way. Without that it is misleading as to my recent and current usage.

I had planned to add something about that as well as pointing out that if I were experiencing those issues and had still been using Toodledo I would have stopped almost immediately.
SirLouen

Posted: Aug 17, 2019
Who is Jack?
Duo

Posted: Aug 17, 2019
Posted by SirLouen:
Who is Jack?

Jake was the creator of Toodledo. He ran it for many years up until last year:

https://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/25931/0/future-plans.html
SirLouen

Posted: Aug 23, 2019
Posted by Duo:
Posted by SirLouen:
Who is Jack?

Jake was the creator of Toodledo. He ran it for many years up until last year:

https://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/25931/0/future-plans.html

Ok, well... who knows... this has been unresolved for quite a while now.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2019.
Louen

Posted: Nov 29, 2019
I feel this bug is going worse every day. In the past I only had 1 or 2 at most recurring tasks lost
Now I'm having more than 4 every day...
Louen

Posted: Dec 28, 2019
This bug now happens regularly. For a developer this should be extremely easy to spot but still no solutions.

Is this software about to be discontinued or something?
pawelkaleta

Posted: Dec 28, 2019
Score: 4 Reference
Posted by Louen:

No, of course not!

Because it's already dead.
Louen

Posted: Dec 30, 2019
Posted by pawelkaleta:
Posted by Louen:

No, of course not!

Because it's already dead.

Great news :(
Louen

Posted: Feb 19, 2020
I've noticed that this incidence has been slightly reduced lately?
Louen

Posted: Mar 22, 2020
Nearly one year later, no news from the developers about this issue.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.