ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by mattsez"
mattsez

Posted Nov 20, 2009 in: Facebook App!
Score: 0
  • mattsez
  • Posted: Nov 20, 2009
  • Score: 0
Maybe my reading comprehension is off this Friday, but what does Toodledo having a Facebook page have to do with Google Wave?
mattsez

Posted Nov 19, 2009 in: chain of tasks
  • mattsez
  • Posted: Nov 19, 2009
There currently isn't any functionality you describe. You cannot refer/link to another task, and there is no event automation. There may be some decent workarounds using custom searches to simplify your process, but it may not be ideal.

However, Toodledo was recently updated to allow manual ordering of subtasks (subtasks are a Pro account feature). As long as you have simple dependencies, this could do the trick. If you want more information, I (or anyone else on the forums) would be more than happy to give you some examples and help.
mattsez

Posted Nov 18, 2009 in: Custom searches in iPhone App?
  • mattsez
  • Posted: Nov 18, 2009
Nope, though, I would love to see it (even if you couldn't create/modify from the application itself).

BTW, this topic probably should have gone to the "Questions" section, since the Toodledo iPhone app isn't from a third-party.
mattsez

Posted Nov 03, 2009 in: Integration with Google Wave
  • mattsez
  • Posted: Nov 03, 2009
I have almost a dozen people on Wave that I know, but unfortunately almost all of them are not using it. I think some people are a little confused as to what it is (and how to utilize it), and others don't really see much of a need for it. Sometimes, even I find myself wondering, "This is cool, but how would I actually use it on a daily basis, and why is it better than the alternatives?"

I know that Google Wave is still in its infancy, so I have to modify my expectations. Either way, what is everyone else currently using it for (besides just test driving it)?
mattsez

Posted Nov 02, 2009 in: Integration with Google Wave
  • mattsez
  • Posted: Nov 02, 2009
I was searching the forums to see if anyone has played around with integrating Google Wave with Toodledo, and I came across this lone thread.

I recently got an invitation to Google Wave, and I have been playing around with it, but no obvious uses have popped up in my mind for Toodledo integration. Sending a specific "wavelet" or "blip" to Toodledo as a task (with the first line as the title) might work, or vice versa, but there are probably preexisting alternatives to this already.

To be frank, until you really play around with Google Wave, you don't know whether a specific use for it is ideal, or just having fun with technology. On top of that, it's still in preview, and not even in beta. A lot can change with Google Wave in the next several months to affect its integration potential with Toodledo. But who knows, maybe someone sees something that I'm missing.

One thing I will say: You can embed preexisting Google gadgets in a Wave, including the Toodledo gaget (which I have already tried). However, it won't take advantage of most of the Wave specific uses (although, this may or may not be an issue).
mattsez

Posted Oct 12, 2009 in: Dynamic Fields / Functions per view
  • mattsez
  • Posted: Oct 12, 2009
This is my personal #1 request. I would be happy if each search definition had a way to define the displayed fields (and their order) along with the criteria.

I've been trying to find a way to use external sites, or one that I create, to make a kind of "Toodledo Reporting System." I haven't found a quick fix yet, though, using Zoho Creator has come the closest. I tried doing something with the Google App Engine, but damn, I hate the Python language. I may try doing this again, given that you can now program in Java with it (Google App Engine). I just need a way to pull the data from the Toodledo web service and combine it with XSLT/CSS to make something that is easy to reuse for various purposes.

But I digress...
mattsez

• mattsez
  • Posted: Sep 29, 2009
I downloaded the lite version, and so far, I have to say it's a really well made app with some very useful features. I would have to agree that it has a whole lot of style, especially for a productivity tool on the iPhone. Too many other applications like this are incredibly bland, this really makes you want to use it on a regular basis. I do think the name of the application is a little silly, though.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't use this, because it doesn't sync with Toodledo. I don't think it would be too hard to get it to sync with Toodledo's notebook functionality (though, I think it would take some work to reconcile the task functionality with Toodledo). On top of that, I'm starting to enter my notes via tasks with a status of "Reference", in order to better organize them through the tag functionality. Given that, the application would have to go through a lot of modifications to suit my own purposes.

That's for the find!
mattsez

Posted Sep 29, 2009 in: Is GTD making us dumber?
  • mattsez
  • Posted: Sep 29, 2009
I don't do the GTD method, but I've often worried that my own organization method was affecting my memory. I don't think it is a case about "making you dumber", as it is a case of "out of sight, out of mind". If you put every thought/reminder into a system, it sometimes leads to a false sense of security, and helps facilitate procrastination.

Memory is a muscle that needs to be exercised. However, if you focus on using your system (whatever it is) to make room in your head for remembering the most important things in your life, I don't see a problem. A little clutter is good (IMHO), just make sure it is "important clutter".

And of course, always review the "someday" tasks regularly, or you might as well just forget them.
mattsez

Posted Sep 17, 2009 in: Modify Fields/Functions Used
Score: 2
  • mattsez
  • Posted: Sep 17, 2009
  • Score: 2
Can't you just use the "Customize" option on the task list to reorder the columns and their width, or are you talking about something else?

I wish that you could select and reorder the columns that are displayed on a particular view, and especially, a particular search. I often want different things displayed/hidden when I do a specific search or view.
mattsez

Posted Sep 17, 2009 in: Toodledo for ADD
  • mattsez
I may or may not have understood you correctly, but either way, I wasn't trying to criticize your organization method.

What fields do you use? Depending on what you are actively using, you might want to use the Scheduler functionality of Toodledo. While it works much better if you use the Length field, it can still get you something close to what you are looking for (I think).

Take a look at it, and let me know your thoughts.
mattsez

Posted Sep 17, 2009 in: Toodledo for ADD
  • mattsez
I feel for you, I have ADD, as well. The problem (and nice thing) about Toodledo, is that it is a rather open system that allows for customization (to a point). Sometimes, you get overwhelmed by options on how to use Toodledo, instead of focusing on what your actual organizational work flow should be, first. Once you figure this out, determine how Toodledo can provide you what you need.

I'm really not sure why you want to do tasks at random, without any considerations on what tasks to focus on first. It doesn't have to be based on "Priority", in fact, you may want to look into the GTD (Getting Things Done) methodology. I think you might appreciate the "Next Action" concept. I'm not too big on GTD, though, but it might just be the thing for you. I'm still trying to iron out my own personal method, but I wouldn't mind brainstorming something with you.

The point is, you need some way (any way) to determine what you need to work on, whether it is a couple of simple rules or a more in-depth framework. If just using Excel and selecting tasks at random has been working for you, then more power to you. Is there a reason why you want to use Toodledo over your present method?

Either way remember to use the (View By) Search functionality, save important searches, and use the "Multi-Edit" function to get changes to tasks done quick. You don't have to stare at a long list of tasks, or constantly revise priorities and such, in order to use Toodledo. However, you need some sort of organizational preference. Once again, if you want to work through your preferred organizational method on the forums, I know I and many others would love to help.
mattsez

Posted Aug 13, 2009 in: WaveMaker
  • mattsez
  • Posted: Aug 13, 2009
I've been trying to find a way to use the Toodledo API to do some advanced reporting on my tasks using a web service mashup/intergration web app. I tried Yahoo Pipes and a few others, but they fell short. Then I found something called WaveMaker, and there is now a cloud version in beta (instead of downloading it and hosting it yourself on your own server).

It looks like it may work, but so far, I'm having difficulties getting it to work. If anyone is curious about investigating this as a way to easily extend Toodledo's functionality, check out the link below, and let me know if you have any success. In the meantime, I will keep messing with it, and let anyone know if I come up with something.

http://cloud.wavemaker.com/wavemaker/login.html

Thanks
mattsez

Posted May 06, 2009 in: subtasks only go down one level?
Score: 1
  • mattsez
  • Posted: May 06, 2009
  • Score: 1
Seven level hierarchy task management? Wow, I wouldn't even do that for formal project management. At some point, a complicated organization system gets in the way of being productive.

One thing I have noticed with many user's "work arounds" on here: using the tag field for a less than ideal solution. So I have a suggestion: why not have one custom field. It could be a simple one line text field, so users could use the tag field for something closer to the original intent, or it can have more advanced settings:

* Change the field name of the custom field
* Define data type
* Define drop down values
* Define sort order

There's probably a few other ideas I am missing, but this would be a great way of satisfying many people's individual needs all at once. (This could even be another Pro account exclusive to sweeten the deal). Unfortunately, we would then inevitably have people calling for seven different custom fields.

Just a thought.
mattsez

Posted Dec 30, 2008 in: Time Tracking
Score: -1
  • mattsez
  • Posted: Dec 30, 2008
  • Score: -1
I believe that if you use the "timer" feature to track time in Toodledo, that at the bottom of a particular page, it will show you the time spent on it. Example: If you view by tag, and go to a specific tag, it will show you the time spent for the particular tag.

I might be wrong, (I might be thinking of the "length" feature), you probably need to play around with it yourself to see if this is what you are looking for. Either way, I do wish there were some additional custom reporting tools on here.
mattsez

Posted Dec 30, 2008 in: Updated Toodledo iPhone app
  • mattsez
  • Posted: Dec 30, 2008
Any possibility of landscape mode making it into an update in the near future?
mattsez

Posted Nov 20, 2008 in: Deleting a task is too difficult!
  • mattsez
  • Posted: Nov 20, 2008
Did you try the trashcan button, (it should be on the far right side)? If you don't see it, enable it by going to Account Settings -> Fields Used, and then selecting Trashcan. If this isn't what you mean, I'm not sure what you are talking about.
mattsez

Posted Nov 17, 2008 in: iPhone App Updated to 1.3
  • mattsez
  • Posted: Nov 17, 2008
Are there any plans on supporting landscape mode, (at least where the tasks are listed)?

Task names are currently cut off if they are too long, (which doesn't seem very long at all). I'm not sure how difficult this would be, but I think it would make reviewing a list of tasks a lot easier, (and generally be a little more visually appealing). It doesn't necessarily need to use motion sensing to work, it could also just be a setting/option.
mattsez

Posted Oct 17, 2008 in: Toodledo on the iPhone
  • mattsez
  • Posted: Oct 17, 2008
Posted by Eric:
Additionally I wish selection wheel would not click, this is distracting in the business environment.

I second that. I was in a meeting trying to create a task regarding something someone was talking about, and everyone looked at me when my phone started clicking.
mattsez

Posted Sep 25, 2008 in: Reporting Application
  • mattsez
  • Posted: Sep 25, 2008
That's weird that you say that, I signed up for Google App Engine several hours ago. I'm going to throw something together and see what I can do.

By the way, I was able to get an invite for the Google Mashup Editor beta, but so far I don't think it will work for this. I believe it is strictly RSS and ATOM, (but it still looks interesting).
mattsez

Posted Sep 24, 2008 in: Reporting Application
  • mattsez
  • Posted: Sep 24, 2008
I'm starting to look into some tools like Yahoo! Pipes, Microsoft Popfly, Dapper, Ubiquity, and other mashup services. JavaScript is not going to cut it, unless you want to use GreaseMonkey, (but I didn't find it too appealing).

I can create a C# application, but I wanted something that was portable and could be shared with others. I also wanted to program an interface with HTML/CSS/XSLT, creating and wiring up a form for something like this is a bit too clunky.

I did not want to do ASP.NET or PHP hosting, because I did not want to spend money on monthly hosting, and I just don't trust the free hosting sites, (among other reasons). That's why a REST consuming mashup service from a reputable provider seems ideal, but they all seem to fall short from a fully realized solution. Google Mashup Editor looks promising, but it is in a limited beta.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. In the mean time, I'll let everyone know if I find a solution.
Skip to Page:  1   2      Next