Renee Resler

Posted: Mar 11, 2012
Score: 1 Reference
Mistake. Sorry.

This message was edited Mar 11, 2012.
Mike

Posted: Mar 11, 2012
Score: -1 Reference
I recently (I know I'm behind) read your post regarding the re-design. For the most part I really like it. Here is one suggestion:

I read that the "tabs" had been moved to the side. I looked on the "Before/After" screen shots and saw what you meant. However, I realized that since using the new design I never thought of them as "tabs" because they don't LOOK like tabs.

My suggestion: When a side tab is selected, make it the same color as the task area with no line in between. Also, round the left-most corners. This will make it look more like a "tab". In other words, make the side tabs look just like the top tabs of Tasks, and Notes. Keep the sizes the same, but just use the colors, corners, and shading when a tab is NOT selected the same as you do on the top. I hope you got what I was trying to describe.

2nd Suggestion: How about scrolling the task area and keeping the toolbars, etc. at that top from scrolling. So when you have long list you can scroll to the bottom and still have all the tools, sidebar, etc. available. Like a "freeze panes" in Excel.

Thanks.
Salgud

Posted: Mar 12, 2012
Posted by Mike:
2nd Suggestion: How about scrolling the task area and keeping the toolbars, etc. at that top from scrolling. So when you have long list you can scroll to the bottom and still have all the tools, sidebar, etc. available. Like a "freeze panes" in Excel.

It's already there, in your Settings, "Top is fixed and tasks scroll".

This message was edited Mar 12, 2012.
Joyce

Posted: Mar 12, 2012
I found it, and I'm trying it! Thanks!
JonG

Posted: Mar 28, 2012
I stopped using TD over a year ago and missed the re-design. Frankly, the old layout and design were part of why I stopped using it (I found it hard to use).

WOW! This redesign is amazingly better. I'm guess I'm glad I took a break and let you work out any kinks, and glad I decided to take another look. So far its great.

Thanks for keeping it advancing!
Media Local Studios

Posted: May 11, 2012
I will send you $50 if you move to a UI like do.com or asana this month, otherwise I am transitioning out. You guys are awesome and I've enjoyed your product for years. As a designer, I want to use something beautiful. Best Wishes and Kind Thoughts.
robotii

Posted: May 12, 2012
Score: 2 Reference
Posted by Media Local Studios:
I will send you $50 if you move to a UI like do.com or asana this month, otherwise I am transitioning out. You guys are awesome and I've enjoyed your product for years. As a designer, I want to use something beautiful. Best Wishes and Kind Thoughts.

As someone who codes for a living, I want to use something that works. That is beauty enough!
Purveyor

Posted: May 12, 2012
"Most people make the mistake of thinking design is what it looks like,'' says Steve Jobs, Apple's C.E.O. ''People think it's this veneer -- that the designers are handed this box and told, 'Make it look good!' That's not what we think design is. It's not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
From The Guts of a New Machine.

Yes, Toodledo works. But "how it works" is clunky. For now, Toodledo wins the talent part of the beauty contest. We'll see what the future brings.

This message was edited May 12, 2012.
Joyce

Posted: May 31, 2012
I'm wondering if the issue around html tags showing up in the mobil app as opposed to just working is any closer to being fixed?

In general it's been a while since an update to the Apple Mobile app was released, I would be happy with a general answer.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 01, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
We are working on the HTML thing. Its not that easy. Also, we have released a number of updates to our iOS app this year, including one that is pending Apple's approval right now.
GS

Posted: Jun 04, 2012
Score: -2 Reference
Is there a July update to the web version in the works?
ricardo_1339594564

Posted: Jun 13, 2012
I just registered today but I'm going to cancel my account right now. I know this will get down voted to hell but I'm just trying to help. I could very well just go away without saying anything but I realize that the best way for me to help is to explain why I'm leaving and hope that Toodledo has improved the next time I try it.

First, and most important to me is that the design of this site makes me not want to use it. I know, I know, "it works, who cares how it looks like". Well, not everybody experiences the world in the same way, and for me the design and look is a very important part of the experience. Still think that it's irrelevant? If that was true then most dektop environments would still be using motif because "it works". I also know this redesign is only 1 year old, but trust me, it was already dated back then. It looks and feels like something from the early years of the century. Things have moved on since then so something like Toodledo really stands out (in a bad way). The color scheme in particular is it's biggest flaw for me. The site is all very dull but at the same time with some (seemingly random) colors that stand out for no reason like the deep dark blue on the task bar with tiny pixelated icons. I'm sure that worked fine when we were all using 17" 1024x768 screens. Everything is squished together without any room to breathe. It feels crowded even with a few tasks, I can't imagine the mess it would be if it was full of tasks.

Apart from that I can see there are some very useful functions but I wouldn't even consider paying for the pro version because I can't stand to look at the site. Also it seems there isn't an official Android app which is also a major turn off.

Good luck.
martingchapman

Score: 2 Reference
Isn't it funny how what suites and appeals to one person is a real turn off for another.

I love the new layout of Toodledo, it is clear, easy to read and very configurable.
ricardo complains that it is dated with "everything squished together without any room to breathe" but this "compact view" is one of the main things I like.
It allows me to see lots more information on the screen without having to scroll about (and I have a 1680 x 1050 screen).
If you want a modern layout and lots of space then take a look at GQueues, but I really dislike their layout which (IMHO) looks toy like with too much wasted space.

recardo, I am not having a go at your post, your comments are very valid from your point of view, the layout does not suite you personally so you are off to find a program that does.
For me the current TD interface is just perfect and would hate for them to change it.

Martin.

This message was edited Jun 13, 2012.
Salgud

Score: 4 Reference
The design of any tool is a compromise between form and function, and that includes task managers. And we each have to make individual choices as to which we value more. Sometimes these decisions are tough. I choose TD because even though it goes more toward the function side, it gives me so many features that I want in order to do my job. I know a number of prettier task managers, but none that I know of do all the TD does for me. And I've looked at and tried quite a few.

To "clean up" the "cluttered" interface sounds nice, until I think about where would all that "clutter" have to go? Only two answers I can think of - either I scroll somewhere to see it, or I click somewhere to see it. Another thing I have to do so see all I need to see. I'd rather deal with a somewhat cluttered view than a beautiful one I have to scroll or click to see everything. And even then I can't see it all at once, which means even more scrolling and/or clicking. No thanks.

With TD, I do have the option to show/hide most of the clutter by using the Show/Hide Details button, but I seldom think of it when I'm busy working. But it's there for those who object to the "clutter".

I love beautiful cars, women and software. But in each, I have to make compromises because the most beautiful is seldom the most practical. But to each his own. TD is not for everyone, and there are those who value the esthetic even more than I do, there are products like Things from Cultured Code that are very elegant to look at, but lack many of the features that I use daily in TD. Not to mention the kind of response I get here in these forums, as opposed to virtually none at all over at CC.

If TD gets another facelift and looks prettier and is even easier to use, I'd be all for it. But for now, it suits my needs. I encourage anyone who finds TD ugly or clunky or cluttered to keep looking and hope that they find their ideal task manager. There are so many out there these days, it shouldn't be hard to find. At least for now, I'm hanging with the one that makes my life easier, and when I need an esthetic experience, I just look over the top of my monitor at the huge Amaryillis plant in my office window and the trees and buildings beyond. Then I get back to getting the job done with Toodledo.

This message was edited Jun 13, 2012.
TLovskog

Posted: Jul 04, 2012
Well last weekend I went hunting for a new ToDo manager that had a better project aspect, without being a fully fledged online project collaboration tool for $$$ per month.

However. After checking out Nozbe, Todoist, HiTask and Producteev I went back to toodledo. Reason being that it has a quite good balance between function and esthetic, I gues that is what you would call a good design.

Especially I like that you actually make use of all the room available (Todoist for example insist on using a maximum width for content centered on the page with large margins of white space)

However, a few things could be improved.

- Even though I like the subtle color-scheme it is a bit dull, SOME color wouldn't hurt. As an example the icons in the top bluish bar. HiTask is way to much polish and color, but producteev has a nicer schema than Toodledo I think.

- Some slight better help on managing projects would be great. Especially with sub projects in more levels. Also (sub)tasks that has dependencies, not fixed dates, but rather this-has-to-be-done-before-that.

- I really liked some of the other tools that had time-stamped notes. I think that is useful. Each (sub)task can have many notes in a time-stamped order.

- Liked Nozbes integration to dropbox, evernote, etc. But REALLY didn't like their waste of space in the GUI.

- Liked that some of them had a mini calendar shown all the time ... quite ok and should be easy to fix.

- Todoist integration with chrome and GMail was also really really cool.

- It is a very minor detail, but I choke on it all the time. Why is the font different in the form for entry then from the display of data?

This message was edited Jul 04, 2012.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 04, 2012
Thanks for all the suggestions! We plan to refine our UI in future updates.
endofdays_old

Posted: Jul 19, 2012
One feature that would make my life a lot easier is a one click facility to change between two sets of contexts to allow me switch between work and non-work contexts.

Currently the user has to select the Show drop down and then click on "invert" in the Show Contexts menu - having a button on the toolbar to do this directly would make switching from work to non-work Contexts a sinch!

I'd easily sacrifice the print button on the tool bar for this - who prints any more? :)

This message was edited Jul 20, 2012.
Salgud

Posted: Jul 19, 2012
Posted by bobtait:

I'd easily sacrifice the print button on the tool bar for this - who prints any more? :)

Based on the sales figures for printers, ink and paper, I'd say pretty much everybody!
Jason Bushell

Posted: Jul 24, 2012
I print....
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.