ForumsTips & TricksPlease hire a UI Designer

Please hire a UI Designer
PeterW 

Posted: Dec 05, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
Roger - thanks for your explanation and apologies for not picking up on your point. I get what you are driving at, and agree that it would be great if Toodledo explored these things in the development of their UI.
JPR

Posted: Dec 07, 2011
Score: -1 Reference
Posted by darkroom-devil:
-Allow the user to edit in the grid or open a window for viewing / editing of a task. This lets the user focus on the task at hand. I actually prefer creating tasks on my phone because it lets me focus.

Roger, here is my workaround for existing tasks. I created a bookmark to Toodledo Slim, All Tasks and use it to open a new tab:

https://www.toodledo.com/slim/#_z1

Then I use the browser search function (Ctrl F) to find the task I wish to focus/edit. Click on it and then "Edit Task". Usually, I'm brainstorming or collecting research info in the note so I drag and expand the note box. Voila, you have an isolated task to edit. (The Slim site also plays nicer with clipboard utilities... not always the case with the note field on the website)

You can also do the same with new tasks:

https://www.toodledo.com/slim/#_add
darkroom-devil

Posted: Dec 07, 2011
Thanks JPR!

Toodledo take note =>>>> There is one more person on record who wants a 'clearer' user experience ... :)

I am just going to say it as I see it. Toodledo puts the following energy and focus into development: 75% function - 25% user experience. Then come back for those features that customers show that they really value and enhance them so that those features are more usable ... A perfect example is the auto-collapsing of the column on the left. The control is in the settings - a focus on the user experience would have put a lock switch on the column itself (which I am sure would have been more work).

It is up to every business what strategies they follow ... I am just trying to rattle same cages at Toodledo to say out load what choices I think they might be making and what those choices might be costing them in potential business. Just like myself - I don't know what the other side of the coin is for the things I take as 'no brainers' - (I don't ever consider that there is another point of view) so I hope I am doing them a favor, at least giving them food for thought ...

Toodledo is headed in a great direct, I commend the developers. If Toodledo continues the same development paradigm (that their work reflects) they may have squandered a wonderful opportunity. Just my 2 cents - I am hoping to see if others agree, the more agreement there is the more credence it will give to these ideas ... :)

This is tough love as I do wish Toodledo the best!

Regards,
Roger
darkroom-devil

Posted: Dec 08, 2011
I just discovered the Toodledo Firefox sidebar - I think I am in love xoxox
darkroom-devil

Posted: Dec 09, 2011
I have to say out load that I was wrong in my assumptions. I have been looking at the third party tools ... the business model of putting more emphasis on the programming makes perfect sense when I consider the number of new clients that come to use Toodledo because of those tools. I will leave my soapbox now and let Toodledo do what they choose to do ... ;)

Thanks,
Roger
dhbryant13

Posted: Jan 04, 2012
One more vote: Update the UI!! I a free user trying to talk myself into a pro subscription. I really need the history. And I really hate the wasteful left column that makes it impossible for all the columns I need to see to be visible on one screen. This is not a window dressing issue, it's a functionality issue. Additionally, beauty does matter, and here's why: it's part of the human experience. I spend at least an hour in Toodledo every day. sorta like working out of a gas station bathroom. yeah, it's functional. Could it use some new paint and a clean wash of the floor? Oh yes it could.

These days, a welcoming appealing flexible UI is available free all over the place. It's no longer an optional item in software. For people who think in color, for example, the ability to color code would be oh so helpful. And yes, beautiful.
Salgud

Score: 0 Reference
This is a very old thread, and the requested UI update is what you're looking at now. No, it ain't beautiful, but you shoulda seen it before! It's much better than it was, and far more functional. I doubt another face lift is even being considered at this time, as it took them most of the first half of last year to do this one. I think this is one of those times you'll have to choose between function and beauty.
earnjam

This has been rehashed many times. It really wouldn't take much for them to hire a quality web designer/css whiz to take exactly what is already here and make it look nice without changing anything from a programming standpoint. Just look at what some of us have been able to do with only CSS overrides.

However, for whatever reason, Toodledo has clearly chosen not to go that route and instead want to focus entirely on the back-end. I question that logic a bit. While the focus on the back end has put them as one of the best services available, a high quality web interface would push them over the top and make this far and away the best ToDo list software/service out there. IMO, a more attractive, user-friendly UI would put most other companies offering similar services out of business. I think a small investment there would lead to a surge in new users.

All that said...if you want a prettier UI than what they're offering, your best bet is to just take advantage of one of the different userstyles that can be applied with the Stylish browser plugin or chose a different service.

There were numerous styles available for the old UI, but they don't work anymore since the update. I have updated my most popular one (the MacOSX style) to work with the new UI. It's available here: http://userstyles.org/styles/41218/toodledo-macosx-version-2

I hope to add a few more high quality options when I get some free time to work on them.
bjbianchi

Posted: Jan 06, 2012
They should go try and solicit someone from Theme Forest to design something.

This guy's pretty legit, they should ask him ;)

http://themeforest.net/user/hogash?WT.ac=category_profile&WT.seg_1=category_profile&WT.z_author=hoga sh
thelawnetwork

Posted: Feb 04, 2012
I love this app but dread coming to the web. For the past 10 minutes I've just been trying to simply get tasks and subtasks to appear by simple drag and drop. No luck at all as nothing works the way you'd expect it to work.

Now I can appreciate the priority, etc. but all I want to do is have the ability to drag tasks up and down a folder in the order that I want to get them done. I doubt I'm the only one who wants to do this. The other individual field entry priorities are all well and good but what about the 8 things I need to get done in my back yard and just want to reorder the priority list?

Honestly, I think you've made major strides in getting more features out of the app but now it's nigh unusable when I'm online. I find myself going back to my tablet to do things and never thought I'd be saying that. And I only hope that what I did online won't screw up the nice arrangement of my tablet. It's not just about pretty but also about ease of functionality which needs help, IMHO.

Just some friendly constructive criticism from a several year customer.

PS - I've been looking at this for 4 minutes and still can't figure out how to delete a folder that I've created. Ah - Edit folders. One would think you'd just have a + and - when you hover and the ability to drag and drop folders up and down, not click yet more buttons to get to another screen.

This message was edited Feb 04, 2012.
PeterW 

Posted: Feb 05, 2012
Posted by thelawnetwork:
I love this app but dread coming to the web. For the past 10 minutes I've just been trying to simply get tasks and subtasks to appear by simple drag and drop. No luck at all as nothing works the way you'd expect it to work.

It's not possible to manually sort tasks (i.e. into an ad-hoc order) but you can sort sub-tasks via drag & drop.

It's been asked for a lot, e.g:
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/2092/0/is-there-a-way-to-control-the-display-order-of-tasks.html
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/2820/0/how-do-i-re-order-my-list-manually.html

...but we don't know when or if Toodledo will ever implement such a feature. At the present you can only sort tasks via the criteria in the drop-down menu although there are three levels.

BTW Toodledo doesn't respond to messages in this forum (might not read them either but don't know for sure) so you should re-post this in a new thread in the 'Questions' forum if you're looking for an official response.
darrenterry

Posted: Apr 17, 2012
Score: 2 Reference
Guys you have a winning product here that is lacking in UI aesthetics. Sure it looks better than your last product but it still needs help.
Jim McClintock

Posted: Apr 27, 2012
I agree with darrenterry. Do yourselves a favor and get some top notch UI/design professional to help you take this product to the top. While it works and has many of the desired api integrations, the UI falls far below the high engineering/technical standards that you have set for your yourselves and achieved. Get the design up to that level, and you'll be unbeatable.
abb454

Posted: May 06, 2012
I agree, we need clean UI. Today, I moved from Zoho Projects because of expensive subscriptions($299/Year).
I spend $15 on Toodledo and $2.99 for the ios app. But I still miss the clean UI of Zoho projects. Toodledo is much better functionality than Zoho but The UI is not user friendly at all.
Disorganised

Posted: May 08, 2012
I have to agree. The toodledo UI is one ugly mother! It's also not at all intuitive.
It desperately needs cleaning and beautifying
luke

Posted: Jun 05, 2012
Is it really that hard for toodledo to fix its GUI?
Salgud

Actually, the one you're looking at is the "fixed" GUI. There was a major revamp almost a year ago. If you think it's ugly now, you shoulda seen it before! :) So I very much doubt there's another major revamp coming anytime soon.

If you really want a pretty interface, and you're on a Mac, try "Things". Prettiest face in the biz. Oh, and by the way, CC has been working on a cloud sync feature for Things for 3.5 years! That's not a typo or an exaggeration. 3.5 years and counting (not done yet). And have done virtually nothing else in that time span. And they don't have time to participate in the forums. But they have a very pretty face!
JPR

Score: 3 Reference
I would pay to see this monstrosity of a thread locked down and put out of it's misery... although it has been a great place for people to make meaninglessly broad requests like "fix the GUI". (To be fair, there has been some substantive discussion here too.)

This thing is well over 2 years old, and take a guess how many times the person who hires UI designers has posted here? (Hint: it's less than one) If there is something you don't like, start a new thread... be specific about what you don't like and maybe suggest how you think it should be changed.

Your idea will get put on the list, and then you'll have something to reference later on when your brilliant idea hasn't been implemented as fast as you want it. And please, please don't title your post: "Please hire a UI Designer". Shockingly, this phrasing has not been persuasive.
simon

Posted: Jun 06, 2012
+1 what he said! And if he's paying to shut it down my money's on the table too.

Posted by JPR:
I would pay to see this monstrosity of a thread locked down and put out of it's misery... although it has been a great place for people to make meaninglessly broad requests like "fix the GUI". (To be fair, there has been some substantive discussion here too.)

This thing is well over 2 years old, and take a guess how many times the person who hires UI designers has posted here? (Hint: it's less than one) If there is something you don't like, start a new thread... be specific about what you don't like and maybe suggest how you think it should be changed.

Your idea will get put on the list, and then you'll have something to reference later on when your brilliant idea hasn't been implemented as fast as you want it. And please, please don't title your post: "Please hire a UI Designer". Shockingly, this phrasing has not been persuasive.
Salgud

Posted: Jun 06, 2012
Good idea!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.