ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by J-Mac"
J-Mac

Posted May 02, 2009 in: Filter Problems?
Score: 0
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: May 02, 2009
  • Score: 0
Anything happening on the server side today?

Main showed I have 111 tasks and all 111 are showing. "Folders" says 111 tasks but only 87 showing. I counted tasks on both screens: 87 total, which is all that should be there. No filters except completed tasks are hidden. All else is showing. After jumping back and forth between those two views and now both say 111 total tasks, 87 showing. "Main" now shows a note at the bottom saying 24 active tasks not showing due to Filters. Turned all filters off and still getting only 87. "Folders" still show 111 total, 87 showing, but doesn't mention filters at the bottom.

I have a feeling that the 24 missing tasks are completed, but then why am I getting the deceptive note on the "Main" screen, and why did "Main" insist 111 tasks were showing when only 87 were there?

I remember this happening in the past and Jake said it was something he was doing on the server at the time. Same issue now?

Thank you.

Jim

Edit: Now all 111 active tasks are showing on both Main and Folders, but Folders says only 87 are showing and Main says 111 showing. Really weird.

This message was edited May 02, 2009.
J-Mac

Posted May 02, 2009 in: 2 things RTM does I wish Toodledo did
  • J-Mac
Posted by gui:
Here's a suggestion:

Purchase Appigo To Do. Purchase Appigo Notes. Every task can be archived in Notes forever and you have them in your iPhone. You can also convert memos or notes to tasks. Entire solution cost $ 15.

BTW I use both Toodledo and To Do precisely for that purpose. I also own Momo notes which is fantastic but does not save tasks.

Great suggestion - for iPhone users. Unfortunately not all users have them...

You mention "from a customer pov", C'mon, Toodledo is the price of a burger!

Agreed! Emphatically!

Jim
J-Mac

Posted May 02, 2009 in: Improvement to Subtasks
Score: 1
  • J-Mac
  • Score: 1
A request for subtasks: Can subtasks be given a visible reference to their parent tasks?

Presently I have stopped using subtasks as often as I was for anything important. The way they are currently displayed makes it too easy for me to miss them, either because they are not shown nested under their parents, or if instead they are showing out among the rest of my tasks I don't necessarily recognize which parent task they belong to.

E.g., I had several tasks for my writing, with the same subtasks, like Compose draft, review/proof draft, etc. Naturally when these are sorted into the regular tasks, with various due dates, it's difficult to know with which project - or parent task - they are associated. NB, the subtask titles are a bit longer than I show above so manually adding in the parent tasks' titles would be more than redundant; it would be a rather big time waster for me, and make really long titles! I did try using an acronym of sorts for each parent and placing that at the start of each subtask, but soon I needed a key to determine which acronym was for which parent! (OK, so my mind is getting as old as I am and I can easily forget such associations. Stop laughing - you'll all see soon enough... ! ) I also try to use folders but often there are several parents in that folder.

I am not certain what the best way would be to show what parent each subtask is associated with, but anything that helps with a quick and easy identification would be great.

Thanks!

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Mar 27, 2009 in: First MONDAY % Last Sunday
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Mar 27, 2009
I'll throw my support to this also. I am also in the US and I designate Monday as the first day of the week in every calendar application I have that will allow it.

I have never understood why Sunday is normally shown as the first day of the week in the US. I have read all the reasons why and frankly they make no sense to me at all. For most people, their week starts practically on Monday and they almost always consider Saturday and Sunday to be the "weekend".

So I am all for allowing users to select their own first day of the week.

Thanks!
J-Mac

Posted Mar 18, 2009 in: Stars in Saved Searches?
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Mar 18, 2009
I was thinking of changing how I use Stars on tasks so that I can use them for something more than just a visual indicator. I know that the stars are not available for sorting, but can they be used in a saved search? I did look for a way when creating a new saved search a few minutes ago but didn't see any. Of course I did not look at every drop-down for every possible search element.

I'm not certain how stars are handled within the underlying database so I don't know if it is even possible. Is it, by any chance?

Thanks!

Jim
J-Mac

• J-Mac
  • Posted: Feb 11, 2009
I posted this question almost a year ago but no one had an answer back then. And since no improvements have been made in the Toodledo Booklet since then, my question is still looking (hoping??) for an answer.

Has anyone managed to figure out how to use PocketMod or RePocketMod to print their Toodledo tasks? PocketMod and RePocketMod allow you to configure your data virtually anyway you like, but you need a way to get your data into it first. Since the Toodledo Booklet has many issues and is not very configurable, I don't bother trying to use it anymore, but I really would like to be able to configure a booklet that I can use. One of the PocketMod apps would be great if I could get my Toodledo data into it.

Thanks!

Jim

EDIT: Whoa - Never mind. I finally figured it out. In PocketMod I was able to create pages from my Toodledo lists - by folder. Excellent!

This message was edited Feb 11, 2009.
J-Mac

Posted Feb 11, 2009 in: Suggested layout mockup
  • J-Mac
First blush - I like it. I'd have to use it a bit to see if I really like it, but right now it looks pretty nice. Simpler is usually better IMO. ;)

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Feb 11, 2009 in: Urgent vs Important
  • J-Mac
One thing that I have done to help me with urgent (but not really important) tasks is to reserve one of the priority settings for urgent tasks, and also use stars for urgency.

Presently if I have an urgent but not important tasks it is listed as "High" priority and it is starred. Nothing else gets the "high" priority designation. If any task is truly vital, important, then it automatically gets the "Top" priority designation from me. Medium is for tasks that need to get done but are neither urgent nor important. Low priority is reserved for "Someday/Maybe" tasks.

If a four-square Urgent/Important grid is ever added to Toodledo I would use it. But I don't see that coming anytime soon, though. (If it doesn't add to iPhone usage, then it is "Really, Really Low" priority on the features list, methinks).

Jim

This message was edited Feb 11, 2009.
J-Mac

• J-Mac
Not a good feature - if a task becomes overdue, most people want to know about it, maybe set up an alert or a custom saved search and run it regularly. If tasks are automatically rescheduled, IMO that defeats the whole purpose of task management. You should SEE a task go overdue and then make a decision on what to do about it. If they are just pushed out in time automatically you cannot be very effective!

That's my opinion, anyway. :)

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Jan 26, 2009 in: Some Thoughts on Toodledo
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Jan 26, 2009
It's just that time for me to gush a little, Jake. (I seem to get this way about once a year!)

Thanks again for Toodledo! Like most of your users I tend to take this application for granted most of the time.

Toodledo is probably the most feature-laden and under-appreciated web application that I have. It is by far the most effective web app and task tracking tool available on the web today. It's simple and yet very comprehensive at the same time. Most of the other to-do list programs seem to only go so far before they become limited by their online environment. RTM with its interaction with Gmail probably comes the closest to Toodledo of all the others out there. And it is not really even a close second. Toodledo does so much and does it without getting too bogged down in details. The user interface flows extremely well, especially with all the fairly complex it manages to squeeze into its overall package.

And all this for a price that is almost too good to be true! And I'm talking about the Pro-Plus plan.

Oddly enough, I don't use Toodledo nearly as much as I should; as a former project controls person, I am much more comfortable with the planning aspect than the "doing" aspect of task management. Sad but true! But I digress... Toodledo and its simple yet effective interface almost forces me to become more organized daily.

Hey - when most of the feature requests posted here now are mainly little personal preference types of requests, then you know that you have most of the true requirements of a task management system covered!

Thanks Jake!

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Dec 04, 2008 in: Improvement to Subtasks
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Dec 04, 2008
Posted by Toodledo:
You still have to toggle to reveal the subtasks. This hasn't changed. What we changed was having the subtasks hidden inside the parent or flattened out.

We hope to improve the toggling behavior in a future update. We know that people really want this.

OK, thanks J. Seeing so many users ecstatic about this made me think that I must be missing something. But basically, in the previous UI clicking on "Show All Subtasks" after every refresh showed the subtasks properly nested under the parent. And now "Toggle Subtasks" performs that same exact action, right?

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Dec 02, 2008 in: Improvement to Subtasks
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Dec 02, 2008
Subtasks are still hidden with any/every refresh, even though "Nested.." is selected in Filter. Still have to Toggle them to make them show every time, so this didn't really change anything IMO.

Before I had to click "Show All Subtasks" after every refresh to see my nested subtasks. Now I have to click "Toggle Subtasks" after every refresh.

I guess I just don't see the benefit of this change.

If it does something more that I am missing, please let me know.

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Nov 07, 2008 in: Tasks vs Calender events
Score: 1
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Nov 07, 2008
  • Score: 1
For me, everything goes into Toodledo - it is my master tasklist. I spread the tasks out by Folders and Status. I only use Context if I need a third level of stratification.

A calendar is mainly for events which absolutely must take place at a given date and time - like doctor appointments, etc. If I miss them I will suffer some pain! (Like paying for a missed Dr. appt!).

Whereas tasks are things I am planning to do, plain and simple. Sure, I assign due dates to some which are time sensitive, but usually I can postpone those if need be.

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Nov 02, 2008 in: outlook 2002, OK?
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Nov 02, 2008
Posted by keef:
Probably not using the sync application, because the it has been developed to work with a Microsoft provided .NET interface for Outlook and I don't believe it supports 2003. However, this has never been tested, so you might still want to give it a go.

You should still be able sync by manually exporting your outlook tasks and importing them into Toodledo though.

keef

keef, did you mean to write "2002" above? I thought it did work on 2003.

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Nov 02, 2008 in: Google calendar link is not working
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Nov 02, 2008
Weird. Works for me; I never have a problem with Toodledo on my G-Cal, though I have with certain other iCal links.

Possibly something in your G-Cal settings? (No clue as to what, though).

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Oct 27, 2008 in: Nesting of Subtasks
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Oct 27, 2008
I saw that the "Show Subtasks" link was replaced with a link called "Toggle Subtasks", so I checked the News section and I found that there is now a filter that allows you to always show subtasks as nested. However I am not really seeing much of a change, so maybe I don't fully understand the new feature.

First, this is a filter and thus has to be selected in any and every view that you use, rather than an option to make the subtasks always shown nested under the parent in all views.

Second, the subtasks are never shown when the "nested" filter is on; instead they are always hidden under the parent unless you click on "Toggle Subtasks". And that toggle is not sticky either.

So there is effectively no change IMO, because you now cannot see your subtasks at all if you prefer them nested unless you click on "Toggle Subtasks" every time you enter a view.

So before to see my subtasks always visible and always nested under the parent I had to enter a view and click on "Show all Subtasks".

Now to see my subtasks always visible and always nested under the parent I have to enter a view and click on "Toggle Subtasks".

Same action required to always have visible nested subtasks. Only the name of the link has changed.

Or am I missing something here?

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Oct 19, 2008 in: My Trash Cans are Missing??
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Oct 19, 2008
Is there a horizontal scrollbar at the bottom of the browser? Oftentimes when you add some fields to your Toodledo view it gets too wide to fit on the visible screen. Since the Trashcans are the farthest to the right, that's the part of the screen that is not visible unless you scroll to the right.

To alleviate that, you can try editing the column width some fields, though I have found that many are already set at their minimum width and won't let you make them any smaller. Else you can remove one of the lesser used fields. Or, as I jokingly said in a post about this in the Off-Topic forum, shop for a "Really, really Widescreen" monitor! :D

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Oct 18, 2008 in: Help test our new server
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Oct 18, 2008
THe test server seems to be down. Did you swap it over yet? Should we resume using the old website address?

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Oct 13, 2008 in: Due time?
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Oct 13, 2008
Posted by aldonc:
Make sure you have it displayed. Go to Account Settings then Edit Fields Used and check Due Time.

aldon

If that is all it is, sorry I didn't say that. My impression was that the poster had looked there and not seen it.

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Oct 13, 2008 in: Help test our new server
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Oct 13, 2008
New server has been working well. I probably don't spend enough extended time on the page to see a speed increase, but then again I have never, ever had a speed problem while updating my Toodledo list previously!

Thanks!

Jim
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7      Next