ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by J-Mac"
J-Mac

Posted Oct 12, 2008 in: Due time?
Score: 0
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Oct 12, 2008
  • Score: 0
Yes. You don't see "Due Time" as a field that you can show? It is there; not sure what else I can say other than: Look again!

Jim
J-Mac

• J-Mac
  • Posted: Oct 09, 2008
drewack,

That doesn't necessarily mean that anything was specifically trying to access your email - just that another application was trying to access Outlook data.

This is a "security" measure that Microsoft added to Outlook back in 2004 to combat virus writers who discovered that they could use Visual Basic to access Outlook via macros. Usually there are a couple options to allow it but only once or for 10 minutes.

I use a tiny but extremely useful utility called Express-Click Yes at this address:

http://www.contextmagic.com/express-clickyes/

There is a Pro version for sale and a free version for - free, of course! THe Pro version includes a lot of other features (I guess), but I have always just used the free version. You set it to always click "Yes" to that Outlook security dialog and continue doing it as long as it tries to reappear. Once it is set I just have it start with Windows and stay in the background. You never see that security dialog again as long as Express-Click Yes is active. It does all the clicking in the background and keeps the security dialog hidden also so you are not bothered by it.

I have used it ever since that security warning started and there are no negative aspects of it.

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Oct 09, 2008 in: Help test our new server
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Oct 09, 2008
Test server just crashed Firefox 3.

From the Main view I clicked on Status view with the "Any Status" tab selected. While there I clicked on "No Status" tab to look at that filter, and then clicked back to "Any Status". After that view had loaded, I clicked on the scrollbar in order to scroll down, but when I clicked on it the cursor looked like it was on a link - the hand with the pointing finger - that locked up Firefox and after staying non-responsive for 5 full minutes I had to end the process from the Task Manager.

Not a big deal but I wanted to report it.

Thanks!

Jim
J-Mac

• J-Mac
  • Posted: Oct 07, 2008
Toodledo runs just as well as most other Web apps on my BB Curve - both on the BB Browser and especially on Opera Mini. If some are looking for a specific, separate Toodledo application for BB's, that's something I don't fully understand. Toodledo is a Web application - there is no client-side software for Windows or Macs. As I mentioned, the mobile site works fine on my Curve.

RIM has only recently opened up its API a little - historically it has kept BB as closed to 3rd party developers as any platform I have seen, rivaling even the Symbian platforms. How many task management applications are there that actually work on RIM devices? One - ToDoMatrix from RexWireless - and that is a far cry from the many excellent Windows Mobile and Palm PIM/ToDo programs available.

Posting in the Toodledo forum with demands that they create your own little pet application is pretty selfish, don't you think? Oh, of course you wouldn't think that, would you?

The temerity of folks who think that developers OWE them whatever they personally desire never ceases to amaze me!

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Oct 04, 2008 in: "Show All Subtasks" Issue
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Oct 04, 2008
When I click the link at the top to "Show All Subtasks" it does so immediately for that view, and the link changes to "Hide All Subtasks". However if, say, I add a couple tasks and then refresh that view (required in order to get the newly added tasks into their proper location on the page), the link still says "Hide All Subtasks" as if they are currently showing. Yet after any page/list refresh all subtasks are automatically reset and are not showing. So I must then click the "Hide All Subtasks" link and then immediately click "Show All Subtasks" to get the view back to showing all the subtasks.

This can be easily replicated. Just click "Show All Subtasks" in any view, then perform any action which will refresh the view and the link still says "Hide All Subtasks", requiring two clicks: One to make it say "Show All..." (though the subtasks don't change with that click), and then again to actually show the subtasks.

Of course I have already requested in another thread that the "Show All Subtasks" feature be made a user selectable option to show them all the time. That would hopefully alleviate the problem.

Thanks!

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Sep 27, 2008 in: How do I import into Notebook?
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Sep 27, 2008
WM5 or WM6? On your PC, XP or Vista?

Vista's WMDC is terrible and cannot convert WM files - a glaring but typical oversight by Microsoft, unfortunately.

But there is a workaround: Do not double-click on the file and also do not right-click on it and use "Open with..." Word. Instead, open Word - preferably Word 2003 - and then click File>Open and browse to the .pwi file or files and open it that way. Word should then convert it to a text file. That should be able to be imported to the Toodledo notebook. If not, try "Rename" (after getting it into a text file) and change the extension from .txt to .csv.

Or if you are running XP on your PC, then simply sync the .pwi using Activesync. Activesync has a built-in converter that will change the .pwi files to either .doc or .txt files.

HTH!

Jim

If you are using
J-Mac

Posted Sep 24, 2008 in: Make "Show All Subtasks" Sticky?
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Sep 24, 2008
If possible it would be nice if we had the option to make the "Show All Subtasks" setting 'sticky', so that it would not be necessary to click on the "Show All Subtasks" link in the toolbar so often.

Currently that setting reverts every time I refresh my list in any way, like refreshing the page, adding a task, switching views, etc. I prefer to always have the Subtasks shown indented below their parent tasks and it would be a great addition to be able to always have them showing that way.

Thanks!

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Sep 24, 2008 in: Hidden Tasks (Or "Using Filters")
  • J-Mac
Oh well....

Just another computer mystery meant to drive me crazier!

I'll keep an eye on it and see if I can figure out what's causing it to appear this way. I'll post back if I find something.

Thanks!

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Sep 24, 2008 in: Updates to Notebook
  • J-Mac
Thanks J-Man!

Jim
J-Mac

• J-Mac
  • Posted: Sep 21, 2008
Thanks. Actually I did that - some allow it, some do not. I think each column has a set minimum and some seem to already be set at that minimum. Goals, for example.

I did zoom out twice, which allows all to show, though some text is hard to see - like my input right now! I hope there are no typos because I cannot see what I'm typing!

Not a Toodledo issue, as I mentioned up front. just something for me to whine about!! :D

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Sep 21, 2008 in: LifeHacker To Do Manger Poll
  • J-Mac
I used RTM for a while before settling on Toodledo. I don't want to disparage RTM - it is a very nice Task Manager in many respects.

BTW, the Pro designation is really just that - a designation. Initially it was just a donation to help them offset the cost of development, or that's what they claimed. It was there prior to the iPhone app being released, so that wasn't really the purpose of Pro. All you got back then was the "Pro" graphic next to your name at the forum, as well as the satisfaction you feel for having helped the developers. (Not a sarcastic remark; I mean that).

One of the reasons I kept looking was because RTM, while working fine on most mobile devices, could not be used on any of the Blackberry devices. I don't kno if that has changed since then. By now it probably renders OK if you use the Opera Mini browser on a Blackberry. But you simply could not get any page of their site to render at all in the Blackberry Browser at that time. There were a number of posts about this on their forum.

I rarely use whatever mobile device I am using to work in web apps; I just don't like trying to input much in tiny little browsers on tiny little screens! I did do so when I was using Pocket PC's with decent-sized screens, but most smartphones now have smaller screens. I prefer to email in my tasks and then clean them up when I can access it on a regular computer. I used to use Jott for this but not now, since they introduced such high pricing. (To be honest, the transcription was never great and I had to fix a lot whenever I used it for input.)

Anyway, even though I didn't use my mobile device for input very often, I DID want to at least be able to access the site and view my task list on the mobile. That was what got me looking at other online task managers - and eventually got my to Toodledo! Blessing in disguise!

Jim

This message was edited Sep 21, 2008.
J-Mac

• J-Mac
First, this is NOT a Toodledo issue - unless I were to complain about it having too many darned features! Which is why I am posting this in the OT forum.

I just decided that I wanted to add a couple more fields to my Toodledo To-Do List page, and naturally I am now looking at that most dreaded of all Windows UI features - the Horizontal Scroll Bar... aaarrgghhh!

This is with the sidebar minimized; and this is on a so-called Widescreen monitor at its maximum resolution of 1400 x 990. I guess I could use Ctrl- to zoom out a bit and see if that helps, though I will probably end up with "crow's feet" on my "crow's feet" from squinting if I do that! (That's those wrinkles at the corners of my eyes for you young-uns out there!)

Maybe I have to get a larger monitor. Do they have 52" Widescreen monitors out there? (Think I'd need a new desk, though).

Or maybe I can find a new monitor with an aspect ratio of, say, 48 x 9; I guess they would call that a "Really, Really Widescreen Monitor"? ;)

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Sep 21, 2008 in: Saved Sorts?
  • J-Mac
I have a few different sorts that I regularly use in Toodledo. Currently I must make a number of modifications each time I change from one sort to another. Nothing major or complex; just click on a different tab, open the Sort toolbar and select different sort criteria, and for some I also change the filter settings.

Is there anyway currently to save these sorts? I though that each time you change tabs the last sort and filter settings you used in that tab were remembered, but that doesn't seem to be the case now. (I may be thinking of another web application that did that - my memory is getting bad, which is why I need Toodledo so much!!)

Can the Saved Searches by used to do this? I tried to set up a few but wasn't able to ensure that I was capturing ALL tasks each time.

Thanks for any help/advice!

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Sep 21, 2008 in: Hidden Tasks (Or "Using Filters")
  • J-Mac
I was working in Toodledo on my notebook computer earlier tonight and noticed that the Main view was not showing about 15 of my tasks. I checked "Filters" and the only items that should have been missing were older completed tasks AFAICT.

Now I am on my desktop computer and all my tasks are showing. I didn't change anything at all since logging on here. Actually, the desktop was up and running and Firefox 3 was open with Toodledo in one of the tabs while I was working on my notebook outside. I refreshed Toodledo with a fresh view to make sure it wasn't a cached page I was viewing on the desktop - still showing all tasks.

I captured the screen on my notebook and sent it to myself so I could compare it to my desktop when I got back inside; the Filter setting is identical to what it was on my notebook.

The only significant difference between the two computers that I can think of is that the desktop is running XP Pro SP2 and the notebook is running Vista Ultimate.

Any ideas regarding what would cause the notebook to show that some tasks are hidden while the desktop is showing all tasks?

Thanks!

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Sep 20, 2008 in: Notebook
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Sep 20, 2008
aldonc,

No, I also use Evernote - longtime user through EN2.2, and just giving EN3 a good test, along with several others that I have accumulated over time, including OneNote 2007, AM-Notebook, Ultra Recall, and my current personal favorite - SQLNotes. (Whew! I know - that's a lot of Notes apps!)

I really was inquiring about the Toodledo Notebook specifically. :)

If notes within the Toodledo Notebook were ever able to be linked directly from associated tasks - IOW, instead of using the individual task notes field - I might consider using it more extensively. Not high priority for me, though. Personally I would hope to see other features worked on first.

Thanks!

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Sep 19, 2008 in: Quickest way to add task with subtask?
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Sep 19, 2008
A suggestion:

It would be nice to be able to add tasks and subtasks via the "Add Multiple Tasks" dialog. Perhaps after pressing Enter to start the next task we could maybe hit the Tab key before inputting the next task to designate it as a subtask?

Thank you.

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Sep 19, 2008 in: Notebook
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Sep 19, 2008
Hi all. I'm curious as to how you all are using the notebook feature in Toodledo. I use the Notes associated with each task to handle anything that I would normally put into the notebook, so I'm not using the notebook itself.

What all are people keeping in your notebooks?

Thanks!

Jim

EDIT: I just looked to see what Appigo was - hadn't noticed the references to it before. I don't have an iPhone, but I do see how that might generate some interest in Toodledo's Notebook.

I'd still like to hear about other uses of the notebook, however. :)

This message was edited Sep 19, 2008.
J-Mac

Posted Sep 13, 2008 in: Due Date AND Due Time?
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Sep 13, 2008
Already have Due Date and Due Time! Try it out.

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Sep 09, 2008 in: Toodledo vs. ThinkingRock
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Sep 09, 2008
Hi matosyan.

Don't know if you'll be back to read this, but I did use TR throughout its beta period. Thinking Rock is a nice, well-thought out, extremely detailed GTD-oriented task management application. However it is definitely not for users who wish to manage their tasks in a somewhat less restrictive manner. By restrictive I mean that some users strive to adhere to every precept stated by David Allen in his GTD book. Precisely and completely. Almost like they'll receive compliance violations if they stray a bit.

However not all people who want to organize and/or manage their tasks want to adhere to as rigid a format as that. Some just want a very simple list of To Do's with the ability to sort, filter, prioritize, etc. Of course that's the opposite extreme. Most fall somewhere between those two descriptions.

Thinking Rock required a lot of detailed input in order to make it work as your To Do list. I personally don't need that level of detail. In fact anyone who does desire to manage their tasks with less detail has some problems using Thinking Rock. Which is why I feel that Toodledo is great for the multitude of users wanting to manage tasks. There are a whole host of levels of detail that are available to organize and manage tasks. You can keep it very simple, or use all the available features and make it more of what each user wants to see individually.

While Thinking Rock is definitely - IMO - the better pure GTD program, Toodledo offers a more customizable way to manage tasks that can satisfy a larger contingent of users.

Of course that's just my personal opinion.

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Sep 09, 2008 in: looking for way to duplicate tasks
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Sep 09, 2008
Not critical for me, but would be really nice to have!

Thanks!

Jim
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7      Next