Search results for "Posted by J-Mac"
J-Mac

Posted Sep 02, 2008 in: Subtasks in Status View - Doubled-Up
Score: 0
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Sep 02, 2008
  • Score: 0
Hey Jake.

Anyway I can workaround this for now, that you can think of? Not a big issue, I admit.

Thank you.

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Sep 01, 2008 in: Subtasks in Status View - Doubled-Up
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Sep 01, 2008
I work mostly in the Status view. Actually, the sort I use most is Status>Importance>Folder. There is no "break" for folders in this view, but it is easy enough as they are all together within each Status level. (Next Action, Actions, etc.)

An issue I am experiencing is that Tasks with Subtasks that are in any one Status level show under their parent task, and then again as Tasks - or at least as Subtasks but at the same indent level as Tasks.

I have adopted a repeating Task/Subtask scheme for Paying Monthly Bills that I saw in a post by Qrystal (Thanks Qrystal!), where I created two Tasks, First Half Bills and Second Half Bills, and then all bills that are due monthly as Subtasks under those two Tasks.

The problem arises in that the two main Tasks themselves show under the Next Action status, and then so do all the Subtasks associated with those two Tasks. But the Subtasks also show under each of the two main Tasks. Hidden at first, but I always show all Subtasks. Checking the Subtasks directly under the Tasks to complete them does not also complete those same Subtasks listed by themselves. I don't know if you can comprehend what I mean by that. If the forum supported images I'd post it here.

Anyway I would prefer to have the Subtasks show only indented under the parent task, and not also show individually in the same section.

Here's a quick illustration of the issue:

* Monthly Bills - First Half
>>>...Pay Electric Bill, 8/5
>>>...Pay Cable Bill, 8/7
* Monthly Bills - Second Half
>>>...Pay Water Bill, 8/18
>>>...Pay Credit Card Bill, 8/22
* Pay Electric Bill, 8/5
* Pay Cable Bill, 8/7
* Pay Water Bill, 8/18
* Pay Credit Card Bill, 8/22

Thanks for any advice!

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Sep 01, 2008 in: Jott
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Sep 01, 2008
Yeah, I have dropped Jott altogether. I ran the beta since its first day - literally. Not that I should get any special pricing or anything, but their initial price points are way out of the realm of what a lot of users are willing to pay - myself included.

While their transcription has improved some since they started, it is still pretty hit or miss. Depends on who transcribes it, I guess. I got some transcribed pretty accurately, and some that were completely garbled. Never had a perfect Jott. And for that kind of service, $12.95 monthly is a pipe dream for them! ($3.95 per month isn't cheap either, and your Jotts are cut off after 15 seconds).

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Aug 15, 2008 in: New message notification please
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Aug 15, 2008
Nothing. I just go on forgetting whatever I posted!

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Aug 07, 2008 in: LifeHacker To Do Manger Poll
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Aug 07, 2008
Unfortunately, most posters at LifeHacker only like FREE applications, and anything that requires payment is inferior or evil to many there. Gets silly after a while.

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Aug 07, 2008 in: How are you using new notebook?
  • J-Mac
Nice feature, but I have not started using it yet. Does anyone know if you can edit or delete notes in it?

I know that when 37 Signals implemented a "Journal" feature in Backpack, they made it permanent. In other words, when you make a journal entry there, you can never alter or delete it. They intended it to be a permanent, non-changing record, mostly for groups so they can know who did what. But a lot of users didn't know that and "tested" their Journals by typing something nonsensical in it - and now they are stuck with whatever they typed there!

Jim

This message was edited Aug 07, 2008.
J-Mac

Posted Aug 07, 2008 in: Percentage Complete
  • J-Mac
David,

I get you now. I know that Mind Manager has an icon that is a little like the Toodledo Star - it is a box that has five states: Not filled, a quarter filled, half filled, three quarter filled, and filled with a check mark. Each time you click the box it advances one state.

Using the same concept as the Star (which is a two-state icon), that might not be too difficult to implement.

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Aug 07, 2008 in: Percentage Complete
  • J-Mac
I sure hope not!! Percent complete is not an attribute that you normally track in a To Do list. That is reserved for a true scheduling application.

For example, how would you propose to calculate percent complete in your Toodledo list? Will you have a quantity of things to do vs. things done? Then divide one by the other? Or a simple division of total To Do's divided into completed To Do's? Would Due Date need to be considered for this calculation?

To track percent complete and make any sense of it you really need to define what you are tracking.

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Aug 03, 2008 in: Notebook
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Aug 03, 2008
Easist way for me to get HTML code into anything online is the BBCode extension for Firefox. Right-click and select HTML (or BBCode) attribute.

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Jul 26, 2008 in: I give up!
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Jul 26, 2008
Windows Mobile used to have a couple of settings for text input that could be messing your login attempts up:

1) It automatically adds a space at the end of each word.

2) It automatically capitalizes the first letter in any sentence. (With any new text input being a sentence)

Check your Q's settings to see if either is selected, and if so, deselect it.

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Jul 25, 2008 in: How are you using Folders?
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Jul 25, 2008
Posted by Qrystal:
You can make the main task recurring as well, and it will contain the recurring subtasks! This is what I do for my monthy bills:

* "pay bills - first batch" is due on the first friday of every month, and contains a bunch of bills that are usually due in the first half of the month.

* "pay bills - second batch" is due on the third friday of every month, and contains the rest.

The bill subtasks are due when the bills themselves is due, repeating monthly (but since the actual bill due dates shift around a bit, I'll tweak it once I see the bill).

Just another thing that makes Toodledo so awesome~!!!

Wow - first half and second half monthly bills - sounds like me almost exactly! However I am not using subtasks for individual bills. That sounds like a great idea, though - have to give that a try.

I don't use folders for projects at all - too cumbersome for me. I use folders as general categories for my actions: Financial, Medical, House Projects, and for my various hobbies and interests. Then I use Contexts as "Places" or "Resources" generally. Like @Computer, @Home, @Doctor, @Office, etc. So each task is in a Folder based on the category it falls into, and has the Context that indicates where or what I need to be and/or use to do it.

Works for me so far. Some seem to fall outside of that of course, but then I improvise as necessary.

Jim

This message was edited Jul 25, 2008.
J-Mac

Posted Jul 25, 2008 in: GTD and due dates
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Jul 25, 2008
Qrystal,

David Allen certainly introduced a good concept in managing tasks, but always remember that no one person's methods may be exactly what you need personally to get your tasks done. You can modify your task management system to suit how you work best.

I know that some GTD "followers" have a way of insisting that you cannot ever vary your system from what David Allen wrote in his book. But that's just not true. Some say that Allen teaches that you should never, ever use a prioritization method for rating the importance of your tasks, though that is definitely not true. He doesn't push priorities but he does say that you may need them at times. Personally I use them all the time!

And as far as calendar usage, I don't use it as much now as I once did, but when I was working to complete projects for clients they required meetings, conference calls, etc. at specific dates and times and the calendar was a necessitiy for virtually all my work tasks.

Mold it to work best for you. Tweak it here and there and you'll get it fine-tuned and know when it is just right!

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Jul 24, 2008 in: Repeating tasks
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Jul 24, 2008
Posted by Toodledo:
The problem is that the end application that you are using (Outlook, ToDo or Toodledo.com) is the one that is responsible for rescheduling repeating tasks.

Right now, the Outlook sync app and the ToDo iPhone app do not reschedule repeating tasks, although I am sure that this will be improved when the developers of those apps release updates.

Really? With Outlook too? I doubt it. Spent time with the programmers on MSDN and they still insist that Office users for the most part don't use tasks - so they don't bother doing much with them either. Sad, really.

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Jul 21, 2008 in: Color Schemes
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Jul 21, 2008
Nice touch.

I didn't like Icy that much - pretty gray looking more so than silvery.

Inky would be nice, but the text color on the separator bars is not really light enough" Currently medium/slightly dark gray on black. Can be a little tough to see sometimes. White would be nicer there.

Thanks

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Jul 21, 2008 in: Advanced Search
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Jul 21, 2008
OK. Thank you.

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Jul 19, 2008 in: Advanced Search
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Jul 19, 2008
Posted by Toodledo:
With our advanced search view, you aren't required to remember any strange search terms. It's all there visually on the screen to pick from. Just click the "Search" link at the top of your to-do list.

You may be thinking about our QuickSearch field that allows you to quickly look through the tasks on the screen. The QuickSearch feature has not been changed.

Jake,

How do I create a search for oversue tasks?

I select "Due Date" -> "is before" -> ???

I want to be able to say Today" there, but instead I get a calendar to select a specific date. I can select today's date but of course today is only today until tomorrow!

I tried typing in "Today" but got some unwanted results: overdue dates plus ALL undated tasks. If I worked on it I could probably add a half dozen or so "rules", but that isn't very helpful really.

Anyway to accomplish this type of search quickly?

Thanks!

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Jul 18, 2008 in: Deleting multiple tasks at once
  • J-Mac
  • Posted: Jul 18, 2008
I can only see needing this if I needed to delete a very large number of tasks. However for any number that I would be deleting - say a half dozen or so - clicking the little trash can icons on the right side of the page several times in succession is fine.

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Jul 18, 2008 in: Suggestion: Tag Field
  • J-Mac
I like the auto-complete idea.

At first blush, it seems to be not as good as a drop-down, but if anyone here is using Highrise, the Contacts Manager from 37 Signals, the auto-complete feature they use for tags is super.

I'm definitely aboard for this one.

Jim
J-Mac

• J-Mac
I believe that is an iCal sync issue. Not so much here, but I have had an annoying number of problems with G-Cal not properly syncing with Backpack in the same manner.

I don't know if it is due to a flaw in the iCal process or Google's implementation of it.

Jim
J-Mac

Posted Jul 18, 2008 in: Some UI refinements
  • J-Mac
I like it also. The "Resize Columns" is the first thing I tried - love it!

Again, thank you very much!

Jim
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7      Next