ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by martingchapman"
martingchapman

Posted Oct 06, 2018 in: Repeating tasks stop repeating
Score: 0
@Anthony_Taylor

I suggest you raise a Support Ticket with Toodledo, once you have raised the ticket you can upload any relevant screenshots etc to go with the ticket.
martingchapman

Posted Oct 04, 2018 in: Toodledo Feature Requests Update
Score: 1
Aaron,
This is great news, well done.

Will there be a direct link to the Feature Requests in the top right drop down box?

BTW
I get the same not secure warning in Chrome but once past this can access the page ok
(Win 10 - Chrome Version 69.0.3497.100 (Official Build) (64-bit))
martingchapman

Toodledo supports HTML markup text formatting tags in notes

So for bold text type
< b >bold text< /b > which gives bold text

For italic text type
< i >italic text< /i > which gives italic text

Note: I have added spaces before and after the text tags (b and i) to stop the browser resolving the commands so you can see how they work.
In real usage there must be no spaces between the text tags and the start (<) and stop (/>) characters.

See this link for a full list of text tags
http://www.simplehtmlguide.com/examplesheet.php
martingchapman

Posted Sep 18, 2018 in: Android App
Totally agree with pawelkaleta
Toodledo Web + Ultimate To-Do List on Android
martingchapman

This has happened again so I will raise as a bug with Support.
martingchapman

So I uncompleted the completed tasks, refreshed the view and all these tasks moved to be under their respective Parent tasks (where they should be).

Left things like this for a day.

I have now re-completed all these tasks and at the moment they are still in the correct place beneath their respective Parent tasks.

Looks like this is now fixed, but I don't know why, will monitor and raise a support ticket if it happens again.
martingchapman

Posted Aug 09, 2018 in: Tags Disappearing
Yes you are correct, tags disappear if all the associated tasks are completed.

To keep tags alive for future use you need to have a "holding" task with the tags attached.
You will need to make sure you do not complete or delete this holding task.

This message was edited Aug 09, 2018.
martingchapman

I have a bunch of Projects that have a Parent task for each Project Title and then numerous subtasks for the Project actions.
I have a Folder called Projects, all project tasks are in this folder.

Settings - "Indented mode shows loose subtasks (recommended)"
Filters - Show Recently Completed Tasks
- Subtasks "Indented"
Sorted - Contents/Alphabetical/Due Date

If I select the built in Folder view (in the left window) and select the Folder "Projects", the Parent tasks are displayed with the uncompleted and recently completed subtasks nested below. Any subtasks that were completed some time ago do not appear.

I have a saved search called Projects which has only one parameter - "Folder is Projects"
If I select this view the Projects with uncompleted tasks are shown as Parents with subtasks nested underneath, but the completed tasks for these Parents are grouped together directly under the relevant Context dividers, not nested under their respective Parent tasks.

I expected that this Saved search would show the Parent tasks separated by Context with their respective completed and uncompleted tasks nested underneath them, sorted as set above.

Is the result of the saved search expected behaviour (design intent) or a bug?

This message was edited Aug 08, 2018.
martingchapman

Pick up the task using the four arrows symbol and drop it to an empty part of the display.
It should then turn into a normal task.

Martin.
martingchapman

Posted Jul 09, 2018 in: Future Plans
Posted by GSP1963:
@ Sam: Looking at my initial posts here, and a few of the others, I think we've been less than polite and for my part, I apologize. Please understand that there's going to be more trepidation than usual with your purchase of Toodledo simply because there isn't another todo application out there like it and if it's "mainstreamed" into a prettier, more typical todo manager, many of us will have a hard time replacing it. Thus the pushback.

To keep things productive and positive, I'll list the key strengths of Toodledo, as I see them, as well as possible areas for improvement. I've been using Toodledo for over a decade (my current subscription status doesn't reflect this, though, because I let my membership lapse a couple years ago; I tried another app, and came back to Toodledo because I found I wasn't being as productive with the competition).

KEY STRENGTHS
1. The large number of data fields available and the ability to choose which fields you want to use.
This is huge. The way I work next year may be different from this year (Heraclitus said it best: "The only thing that is constant is change"). I have changed my Toodledo setup numerous times over the years due to changing responsibilities both personally and professionally. Changing and adapting my task management techniques has made me more capable and more efficient and led to a lot of growth. I could not have done it without Toodledo's flexibility.

2. The ability to reorder the display of fields.
Giving the user this power is another major strength of Toodledo. I can get the app to function just the way I want. It's surprising how few todo apps give the user this ability (perhaps 10%? If that?).

3. The ability to construct custom searches.
This is one of Toodledo's greatest strengths: Users can build searches to extract just exactly what they're looking for and keep those searches on hand, ready to run at the click of the mouse. It essentially allows users the ability to approach Toodledo like it's a Tinkertoy, and build the application they want, pulling the data they see fit and displaying it just the way they want. Every different configuration of Toodledo that I've used over the past decade has been built around using a large number of custom searches, typically at least a dozen. My current configuration uses 17. There is no other software on the market that lets me do what I do with Toodledo's custom searches. Using the searches, I've set up Toodledo as a strict Getting-Things-Done app; as a Franklin-Quest app (A1, A2, A3); as an Eisenhower Matrix app (Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4); as a tool geared to providing hardcopy project reports for management; and several other hybrids of the above.

4. Excellent hardcopy reports.
Sometimes you just have to go into a meeting with hardcopy handouts of information and in that regard, Toodledo shines. I recently was comparing task manager apps, and it was surprising how few are able to provide decent hardcopy reports. I really value Toodledo's ability to generate clear, well-formatted reports with ease. It's part of what makes the app a serious business tool.

These four key strengths listed above should be regarded as sacrosanct; nothing should be done to Toodledo that weakens or eliminates these features.

POSSIBLE AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT
1. Additional fields could be made available to the users for optional use.
I can't imagine any users would complain if additional fields were made available. Toodledo already has most of the bases covered, I think, but I'm sure there could be a few more added, such as a field for Effort (High, Medium, Low). Some people like to start the day with high-effort tasks and then use the late-afternoon hours, when they're feeling brain-dead, for low-effort tasks.

2. Better tools for building custom searches.
Toodledo's custom searches are great, but they could probably be made even better. More flexibility in building the searches (such as the ability to combine AND with OR rules or the ability to combine searches) would be great. Any kind of UI enhancements that would help first-time users figure out how to build custom searches would be great, too.

3. More optional uses of color in the UI.
It would be nice if users had the ability to choose colors to reflect some attributes, such as Folder, Context, Status, or Priority. Key to making this an enhancement and not an annoyance would be customizability: Users should be able to determine not only the color scheme (not just the colors, but also whether the colors are applied to the text or the background, or both) and the associated field, but also have the option of not using the colors at all.

4. Possible elimination of some of the existing extras that are not task-related.
Others may disagree with me on this, but I think the Swiss Army knife approach that was adopted for Toodledo a few years back wasn't the best approach. ("Not only are we a task manager--we're also a habit tracker! And a goal manager! And an outliner! And a notebook!") I think the multiple functions water down the key Toodledo task manager mission. Obviously, the community would have to be polled and interviewed about this because taking existing functionality away from users is always a tricky thing.

Why am I willing to even suggest that some of these functions be discontinued right after declaring other functions sacrosanct? The distinction is this: The sacrosanct features are not offered elsewhere; they are unique, or virtually unique, to Toodledo. The features I'm suggesting could be eliminated, on the other hand, are better handled by other existing apps out there.

5. Overhaul of the iOS app.
The existing iOS app has such an outdated feel to it that it's turning potential users off before they even have a chance to understand Toodledo's strengths.

That's all I can think of at the moment, Sam. You can be sure that many of us are wishing you nothing but success in your endeavor to take Toodledo to the next level. Good luck!

I agree fully with all the above points, apart from removing the "non task related extras". I only use Tasks but from the forums it is clear other people find these extras useful so just leave them in place, but don't waste time on future development of them.
If you don't want to use them then don't.

Also I would add
The existing Android App is a complete waste of bits and bytes, cut your losses and either purchase Ultimate To-Do List, or allow them to fully integrate their App with Toodledo, specifically open up access to saved searches in the API as imho this is the only feature missing from UTDL.

Finally a big THANK-YOU to Jake.
I have been a Toodledo user almost from the start, paid since 2011 (on and off) and despite trying other task managers when frustration with Jakes' development decisions got the better of me (why did he bother with LIsts, Outlines and Habits when so many existing features needed fixing/finishing), I always came back to Toodledo and in its present incarnation, along with UTDL, it is the perfect task management solution for me.

This message was edited Jul 10, 2018.
martingchapman

Posted Jul 03, 2018 in: My Due Date/Real due date
Your suggestion has merit, but would need some development by TD and also uses an extra column in the display.
Nothing wrong with that but it may take some time.

Here is an alternative approach which I have used for many years.

I have "Real" due dates, I call these "Deadlines" and "Internal" due dates which I call "Do/Postpone" dates.

To separate them I use Priorities.

Real (Deadline) due dates = Priority 1 (P1) - MUST be done by the due date.
Internal (Do/Postpone) due dates - Priority 2 (P2) - DO them by the due date or POSTPONE them to a later date

I then have a saved search that delivers all P1 and P2 tasks that are due, sorted by Due Date and ordered by Priority.

This shows my tasks separated by Due Date and in each section presents the P1 (Real) tasks first and P2 (Internal) tasks second.

This approach works now, no development needed and saves using an extra column

Or, you could have a saved search that only shows P1 tasks that are due and another saved search for P2 tasks.

Etc, etc, etc.

Hope this helps.
martingchapman

Posted Jun 16, 2018 in: Sub-Tasks
Score: 2
You can manually order subtasks.

From the Toodledo help topic -

"Reordering Subtasks
It is possible to manually reorder subtasks via drag and drop. This is a feature for Subscribers. To use this, you must first go into your account settings and under "Subtasks" enable manually sorting. Now, you can drag and drop subtasks into the order of your choosing and the sorting criteria discussed above will be ignored."

Here is the link to the above help topic
https://beta.toodledo.com/info/help.php#103
martingchapman

Posted Jun 12, 2018 in: How to handle projects
Score: 8
I use Folders for Projects.

For each Project I create a Folder.
I then add the Project Tasks to the Folder.
If you are a subscriber you can use Sub Tasks to make a task dependant on other tasks.

The Project tasks and Sub Tasks are sorted manually to give a flow to the Project.
This is simple with Sub Tasks but Toodledo does not support manual sorting of normal tasks.
To get round this and provide a manual sort do the following;
Put a number as the first character in the title of every task
Sort the list Alphabetically
This will arrange the tasks in numerical order.

This also gives the advantage that when the task appears in your to-do list it will have a number as the first character of the title, immediately identifying the task as belonging to a Project.
So when you complete the task you know you must review the Project for the next actions.

If appropriate, call the first task "1 Project Details" and add all the Project details and information into the task notes.

When the Project is finished and all the tasks are completed you can archive the Folder, which takes it out of view but it is still searchable and available via the Folder management page.

To view all your Projects create a saved search as follows;
Search name - Projects
Checked off – No
Folder – is not – No Folder

Sort this view by Folder then Alphabetically
This will show all your Projects divided into separate Folders with the individual tasks manually sorted.

Hope this helps – Martin.

This message was edited Jun 12, 2018.
martingchapman

Posted May 25, 2018 in: Recent updates to Tasks section
Thanks Jake
Appreciate the update, keep up the good work
martingchapman

Posted May 13, 2018 in: Android: only seeing some tasks
In the drop down on Android you should see exactly the same numbers as on the web.

If any of the tasks are hidden by the filters then you should see two numbers separated by a forwardslash "/"
The first number is the tasks you can see, the second number is the tasks that are hidden by the filters.

So in the case of your Today view, if any tasks are being hidden by the filters you should see "6/21" as you have 27 task on the web but can only see 6 in Android so 21 are hidden.

To see if it is a sync issue, in Android, go to Tasks-Main-All Tasks.
Then open the overflow menu at the top right (three vertical dots) select Show and select the following parameters (you may not see all options, depends on your account settings) -
Completed Tasks - All
Subtasks - Inline
Show/Hide - tick all boxes
All other options - select All
Then go back to the All Tasks view, click the magnifying glass symbol and search for a unique string in one of your missing tasks.

If this finds the task then it is in Android and the reason you cant see it is because it is hidden, probably by a filter.
If this does not find the task then it has not synced to Android, in which case try a forced sync as suggested by pawelkaleta.

If you still cant see the task then I suggest you raise a support ticket with TD.
martingchapman

Posted May 13, 2018 in: Android: only seeing some tasks
Especially check the "Deferred Tasks" filter in Android as this caused me to loose some tasks in Android.

Depending on what features of TD you use you will get offered different filters on the web and Android.
In my case on the web interface I had "Recently completed tasks", "Negative Priority" and "In the Future"
In Android I had "Deferred Tasks" , "Negative Priority" and Future Tasks"

The key difference here is the "Deferred Tasks" filter in Android which relates to the task "Status" field.
I do not use the "Status" field so on the web I do not get offered the "Deferred Tasks" filter (if you enable the Status field then you will get this filter on the web) but you do get it in Android, even if you do not use the "Status" field.

Now this should not be a problem as I do not use the "Status" field for any of my tasks so would not expect the "Deferred Tasks" filter in Android to make any difference.
However, over the years I have played with all the TD fields, including "Status" and consequently some of my tasks had the "Status" field set to an Active or Deferred value, but it is so long ago that I played with "Status" that I had forgotten I had set these values.

So the outcome was that some of my tasks had their "Status" field set to a value that was Deferred, which meant that unless in Android I went into Show - Show/Hide and ticked the "Deferred Tasks" box these task would not show up in any of my lists (or search) but they would show on the Web as you don't get the "Deferred Tasks" filter if you are not using the "Status" field.
martingchapman

Or create a second "reminder task" that refers to the main task due on the 30th but has a reminder of the 24th.
Or, if you have a subscription, make the "reminder task" a sub task of the main task.
martingchapman

Posted May 09, 2018 in: Tip for Android out of sync with Web
Recently I lost a task in Android, which I could see fine in the web, this caused me to think that Android was out of sync with the web.

However, if in Android I went to Tasks - Main - All Tasks and did a Search for the task I found it, so I knew it was in Android, I just could not see it.

The issue with Android being out of sync with the web has been reported many times but despite their best efforts TD have not been able to reproduce it, and the usual advice is to firstly check the filters to make sure nothing is hidden (for the above search I ticked all three filter boxes).

In my case it was a filter that was hiding the task, but it was not obvious why.

Depending on what features of TD you use you will get offered different filters on the web and Android.
In my case on the web interface I had "Recently completed tasks", "Negative Priority" and "In the Future"
In Android I had "Deferred Tasks" , "Negative Priority" and Future Tasks"

The key difference here is the "Deferred Tasks" filter in Android.
I do not use the "Status" field so on the web I do not get offered the "Deferred Tasks" filter (if you enable the Status field then you will get this filter on the web) but you do get it in Android, even if you do not use the "Status" field.

Now this should not be a problem as I do not use the "Status" field for any of my tasks so would not expect the "Deferred Tasks" filter in Android to make any difference.
However, over the years I have played with all the TD fields, including "Status" and consequently some of my tasks have the "Status" field set to an Active or Deferred value, but it is so long ago that I played with "Status" that I had forgotten I had set these values.

So the outcome was that some of my tasks, including the one that I had "lost" had their "Status" set to a value that was Deferred, which meant that unless in Android I went into Show - Show/Hide and ticked the "Deferred Tasks" box these task would not show up in any of my lists (or search) but they would show on the Web as you don't get the "Deferred Tasks" filter if you are not using the "Status" field.

I am not saying that all the Android/Web sync problems are due to this issue, there may well be bug(s) with the sync process but if you do have tasks that you can see on the web but not in Android it is worth checking the "Deferred Tasks" filter specifically because it will filter out tasks that have a "Deferred Tasks" Status set, even if currently you are not using the "Status" field.

I do not know if this behaviour is design intent or a bug, in my mind if you are not using the "Status" field then the "Deferred Tasks" filter should not apply and ideally should not even be offered in Android (same as on the Web).

@Jake, can you comment please, is this design intent or an oversight that needs to be addressed with a future release of the Android App?
martingchapman

Posted May 09, 2018 in: Android task notes - web links not live
Tested and working in the latest release 6.6.6 (162) on 09/05/18.

Thanks very much.
martingchapman

Jake, thanks for the answer.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7      Next