ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by shelbyp"
shelbyp

Score: 0
  • shelbyp
  • Posted: Nov 18, 2013
  • Score: 0
In the outline section on Chrome (I haven't tested others), there is a very annoying and harmful bug.

After deleting the highlighted entry with the delete key, there are 2 entries which are highlighted, the entry after the entry which was deleted AND the top entry in the list.

the problem is that the actual active entry is the top entry in the list, not the item adjacent to the deleted item.

I have lost a lot of work due to this bug! What happens is I delete an entry, and then want to delete the next entry , but instead of deleting the highlighted entry it deletes the first entry in the list which is also highlighted! In an outline it has happened on multiple occasions that the first entry in the list actually contains a huge subtree. So the highlight bug can cause the irreversible loss of huge amounts of work.

For me this is a critical issue. I mentioned this in the forums as minor previously since I thought it was just cosmetic, but this is critical.
shelbyp

Posted Oct 24, 2013 in: Tasks, Notes, Outlines, Lists, ...
  • shelbyp
  • Posted: Oct 24, 2013
I also agree with the proliferation of tabs and have indicated in the forums that there lacks unity. In particular:

Notes works on folder, no support for tags
outlines and lists: no tags, although keywords

I am already having a hard time to find stuff because of the lack of consistency (I would really like to apply the same set of tags across all tabs). In addition it would be very helpful to have a global search (independent of tab).

Multi-line option in the outline section would essentially make notes redundant.

I am actually starting to like the lists :), but a lack of a clean link to a task or to be able to apply the same tag as in my tasks (or search globally) is making it difficult to integrate cleanly.

This message was edited Oct 24, 2013.
shelbyp

Posted Oct 18, 2013 in: Outlines and Lists
  • shelbyp
  • Posted: Oct 18, 2013
Jake, I really like the tags support, and I have moved most of my stuff to tags which is more flexible than folders. However the Notes section does not support tags, Please add this as a feature request, it is really hard to organize the sections based on different criteria.

As another feature request, at some point it would be nice to be able to search across all sections based on a tag (i.e. a way to click on a tag and find all tasks, notes, outlines, lists related to the tag)

I use toodledo very intensively and actually I already have issues trying to find stuff...

cheers
shelbyp

• shelbyp
  • Posted: Oct 10, 2013
There is a small outlines bug:

After deleting the selected item, two elements are highlighted: the element after the deleted element and the fist element on the top of the outline page.

This is reproduceable on Chrome. The one at the top is the "active" one, but this is confusing since we were staring at the area where we just deleted an item, and the following item is also highlighted.
shelbyp

Posted Oct 01, 2013 in: What do you use outlines for?
Score: 1
  • shelbyp
  • Posted: Oct 01, 2013
  • Score: 1
Since the outlines have come I have :

1. moved all my tasks which do not have a hard due date to the outlines. I am a musician, so this can be a list of jazz pieces I would lke to learn at some point in the future, CDs I would like to buy etc, I also develop software at work, so any ideas which I can implement later are stored in outlines.

2. Leveraged the feature to store all my ideas which are not real tasks.

3. Store lists: I also use it like the lists section, but I realize that lists allows you to strictly define the strucutre, however, for my needs I don't really need the structure and as others have said I prefer Google docs for lists.

the advantages I see with the outline:

-the shortcut keys, once mastered, allow you to add/remove tasks very quickly
-change/reorganize the tasks wth a few keystrokes , also very fast
- export of hiearchy: very useful, I often export and then email the list.

adding /organizing tasks is much, much slower than working with outlines, but in some cases I do need the full task feature, however for me these are now mostly repeated tasks or urgent tasks (due in a week).

Jake: if you are reading please vote +1 for a multiline feature, we would then no longer need the notes section, for me it is mainly the notes which is redundant, NOT the outlines.

This message was edited Oct 01, 2013.
shelbyp

Posted Sep 05, 2013 in: Sub Sub Tasks
  • shelbyp
  • Posted: Sep 05, 2013
I love toodledo, but I do not use it for large scale project management, it lacks some key features which are critical for large projects such as:

dependency modelling (and gantt charts)
cost estimations/risk assessment
resource availability

I don't really expect this from Toodledo, for me these two areas are different. In the same way, I would not use Microsoft Project for my personal todolist (even if it was free, it is just overkill)

What's great about TD, is that it is fast, simple, intuitive and fun to use...
shelbyp

Posted Aug 30, 2013 in: Recent Upgrade on iPhone?
Score: 1
  • shelbyp
  • Posted: Aug 30, 2013
  • Score: 1
Check the NEWS Forum, there is a workaround and it works for me on 4s.

JAKE: thanks for this key feature! In fact, I had stopped using the searches, since these were not available on IOS, I am very, very happy to see this functionality, which really is a huge step for the scalability of the app to handle hundreds/ thousands of tasks... which is essential for task management is small projects.

GREAT WORK!
shelbyp

Posted Aug 20, 2013 in: Outline: Hide checked items
  • shelbyp
  • Posted: Aug 20, 2013
Posted by Jake:
The search box on the left side of the page should already do a global search across all outlines and outline items.

Jake: thanks for the feedback, I didn't see this, actually I just tested again and it works, but there is a small issue which is why I didn't see it. It looks like if the match occurs in a section which is collapsed, it is not highlighted. It would be nice either to:

a) highlight the collapsed section (might not be intuitive, but perhaps in a different color) OR
b) open the collapsed section and highlight the entry (this would be my preference)

As it is currently implemented, I need to uncollapse all to find the entry I am searching for, which is clumsy, and not really intuitive...
shelbyp

Posted Aug 19, 2013 in: Outline: Hide checked items
  • shelbyp
  • Posted: Aug 19, 2013
The new short cut keys ROCK especially moving items up and down with Shift! I have moved most of my tasks which do not have hard due dates or are non repeating into outlines...

I have a small issue though, I have so much in the outlines, it is not so easy to search.

Would it be possible to add a global search box which would find both matching outlines AND outline entries? It might actually be better to reuse the existing search box but just add a checkbox so that it would optionally search within outlines as well.

I also think that the multiline support would really help, the Notes tab would then become much less important, possibly redundant...

FYI: I am still regularly seeing the error message "unable to fetch outlines from server" which is strange since I am logged into the site and have it open basically the whole work day... I think others have reported similar issues. However the error message is much more helpful now since I no longer lose data.

This message was edited Aug 19, 2013.
shelbyp

• shelbyp
  • Posted: Jul 19, 2013
Posted by DanH:

Also I wish the setting were part of the repeat dialog for each item, rather than global. Some repeating items (pay quarterly taxes) are high priority as soon as they become current, but others are not.

I have also started using the star, but I do think a generalization is needed. I mentioned in another post that the repeating needs a way to store the state of a task when it is created , the star feature does this only for the star.

I think a nice generalization would be to have an attribute "RepeatState" which we could click which would store that state as the way the task will be repeated. This would be really useful for subtasks which are within a parent task. It would solve both the issues with setting all attributes which are likely to change including the star, but most importantly when the subtask is marked completed it would still reappear in an uncompleted state when the parent repeats, which for me (and surely others) would be very useful.

That said, the unstar feature helps a lot since it solves a common use case!

This message was edited Jul 19, 2013.
shelbyp

• shelbyp
  • Posted: Jul 10, 2013
not sure if this is on your todolist, but it would be really nice to add some more shortcut keys to the outline section.

In particular:
something like Ctrl-j,Ctrl-k to move the currently selected item up or down would be very, very helpful.

It is quite clumsy to use the mouse for this since I find it is really not so easy to correctly position the item (on chrome) so that it goes where I would like it to move to, also would be much faster.

This would also allow us to perform most manipulations with the keyboard.
shelbyp

• shelbyp
  • Posted: Jul 04, 2013
Posted by Paula_99:

For those who are complaining about Tasks not linking back to Outlines, I think what you really want is a better Sub-task management system. Outlines are meant to be very high-level, brainstorming/brain dump style tools. Once you attach all the other parameters, it's really a task.

I used to be one of the people who would vote for a full subtask hierarchy, honestly, I will no longer be requesting this. Outlines kick butt for modelling subtasks efficiently. The whole point for me is that as I move into these sub-sub-sub tasks, I no longer need the full capability of whole task, and I don't want to set all the fields. Outlines perform this quickly and intuitively...

I am also looking forward to IOS support, one thing I noticed is that I don't see how the workaround of copying the link to an outline in the notes can ever give proper IOS support for the NON Pro Plus user, ( I am Pro only).
shelbyp

• shelbyp
  • Posted: Jul 03, 2013
Posted by Jason Bushell:
... it seems to me more relevant to link a task to a node in the Outline rather than a task to an entire outline.

Unless that task is "complete the entire outline" im not sure how the functionality will help.

I agree, and actually I would go further. i am interested in the case of a repeating task with an outline to enforce a sequence which can be ticked off (this models many situations).

for me there is a conceptual "bug" with the implementation. When the task repeats, it repeats with the outline in its current state. I really need the outline in its initial unticked stated.

This for me is the standard use case when I have a repeating task. This should definitely be an option an arguably the default. It seems to be that when a task repeats it is created anew with the state "incomplete", so why would attached outline remain in its ticked off state???

The same is currently true with repeated tasks which have subtasks. The subtasks which are marked as complete do not get reset when the parent task is repeated.

I was actually hoping the outlines could fill this gap, but it appears that the same limitation exists here.

I would actually happily upgrade to the full account (currently pro) to have the link between task/outline, but in the absence of proper support for the repeating behaviour this is hard for me to justify. I would currently have to create an outline template, clone it, rename it, and then re-attach.

It would really be nice if the option was also added for repeating tasks with subtasks. the current behaviour is really not intuitive, and forces us to use the template workaround, when a clean solution would be available if the task/subtask combination could repeat itself (optionally) with all task states reset to incomplete.
shelbyp

• shelbyp
  • Posted: Jun 26, 2013
Posted by Purveyor:

Anyway, implementing custom sort order in Saved Searches would involve re-structuring the underlying database

I disagree, there should be no restructuring needed,since Toodledo is already be able to store the searches for the online version. The sync would have to be added to copy the searches to the local DB, and an IOS interface is then needed for the app.

Note that I would be really happy as a starting point to just have the searches I created online available in the offline app. This should be quite easy and would add substantial value to the app. I can see that recreating the interface to create a custom search would take some time, but it should not be so hard to reuse existing searches.

For me the whole point of the saved search is that it does not change (or only very rarely) , so I am quite happy to create them once online ... Having the complete interface for creating searches offline is much less important.
shelbyp

• shelbyp
  • Posted: Jun 25, 2013
Just a followup point on saved searches,in fact with saved searches, in addition to the advantages already mentioned, it also allows us to fully leverage tags and the fact that multiple tags can be assigned to a task.

From what I see, stuff like stars, folders,contexts, goals and locations can basically be modelled as tags, but this requires powerful saved searches.

the advantage of having everything under tags is that I find (and others in the forums have mentioned this) it is easy to lose track of whether something was classified under a folder, context, goal or location...
shelbyp

• shelbyp
  • Posted: Jun 24, 2013
Jake: thanks for the response, in fact I am a software developer so will look into the API, I checked the doc and it really looks quite powerful!

I also noted your other post on how you use Outlines to tick of a sequence of steps to perform testing of a new feature... This is quite similar to what I need, and I think Outlines will do the trick.

For a full solution, the outline would have to link somehow to a task and ideally have some IOS support, but I know these are upcoming, so the solution basically exists.

NOTE: for this to work it would require that when a task with an outline repeats, the outline should (optionally/configurably) be cloned on repeat. So that we can start ticking off the outline steps from a new blank outline.

shelby
shelbyp

• shelbyp
  • Posted: Jun 24, 2013
Please add me to the list of people who request "saved searches".

Jake: I have to disagree that saved searches on the ipad/iphone is a feature which "saves a few clicks". The saved search is extremely important for those of us which large task lists. In the absence of a saved search, I now have to remember which combination of tags/folders need to be searched to find a given set of tasks.

So the saved search is not just a time saver, critical feature for locating sets of tasks consistently.

I know this feature exists on the web, but the issue for me is I use toodledo mostly offline, and try to take care of my task management offline on the way in to work where I have no internet connection...

I would agree however that storing the sort etc per folder saves a few clicks and is a minor time saver. But I don't think this should be amalgamated with the saved search which for me (and I am sure many others), would be a game changer on the iphone/ipad.
shelbyp

• shelbyp
  • Posted: Jun 21, 2013
just as a followup to my own question, I think what is needed is some kind of event driven task creation.

This is in fact a generalization of the repeating of a task. In this case the completion of the task triggers the event to create the same task again. This could be extended so that on completion of the task, the creation of another task is triggered.

This would allow modelling a sequence of tasks cleanly. Some tasks would not in fact be tasks at all, but just templates which are created automatically on some event (here the completion of a given task).
shelbyp

• shelbyp
  • Posted: Jun 21, 2013
I am curious if someone has a good way of modelling a sequence of tasks, which is repeatable on completion date.

For example I may want to have a simple practice schedule for music
where
day 1: rhythms
day 2: harmony

similarly at work it might be a project at work where
1: prepare meeting agenda
2: meeting set time and place
3: prepare and distribute post meeting steps...

Similarly for my workout schedule, etc there are in fact many applications for this...

The problem is there is no simple way to model this neatly. In particular for these types of task I would only like
1. ONLY the 1st item in the sequence which is not marked complete to appear in the hotlist
2. an easy way for the sequence to start again (repeat when I have completed the last task)

The closest solution I have come up with is to have a template tagged task with subtasks. When I label everything as complete, I then clone to create a new task, based on the template, but this is far from a clean solution ( no automated repeat, no proper imposing of the sequence, and clutter in the hotlist).

Note that a simple repeatable task with subtasks does not work, because as we label the subtasks complete, they disappear. So that when the parent is labelled complete the subtasks are NOT repeated with the parent.

As I use Toodledo more and more, I am finding that the repeatable tasks are creating clutter in the hotlist, and the main reason is that I have no way to easily hide all but the "current" item of the sequence.

There are many cases where only the current item is useful (examples above of music practice, repetitive actions at work, workout plan etc), so I think a clean solution would help improve the app and GTD in general...

Actually there is no specific feature request here... mostly my brainstorming, the feature may already exist and I may not know how to exploit it!

thanks for any help!
shelby
shelbyp

Posted Jun 17, 2013 in: New Section: Outlines
Score: 2
  • shelbyp
  • Posted: Jun 17, 2013
  • Score: 2
I am using the Outlines actively now and I love it! Great work toodledo!

in fact I realize, that most of my tasks/subtasks/folders are not really tasks at all, they are much more suited for outlines, I was using the tasks as a way of doing a brain dump...

My task list has now been substantially reduced and replaced with outlines...

As my top request and as others have suggested, I would also vote for some way to easily link an outline to a task. This would provide an easy way to to perform the fine grained task management which is sometimes needed and better modeled by an outline than a subtask hierarchy.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7      Next