ForumsNewsToodledo Redesign Plans

Toodledo Redesign Plans
tim_layton

Posted: Sep 17, 2014
Score: 1 Reference
You can't filter or sort by time of day in any of the mobile apps I have come across. I would like to be able to do this as I filter tasks by Early morning/Morning/Afternoon/Evening searches based on time of day in the web app and can't reproduce on mobile.

Include your reasoning

Would like consistency between Mobile and Web for consistent workflow

- Include context

Mobile app lacks a feature I use on the web

- Include frequency

Hourly

- Include specific emotions

Not being able to do this is frustrating.
bill_1367329013

Score: 0 Reference
I'm easy to please. I'd just like a little color in the PC interface. perhaps a different color bar for 'today' 'tomorrow' etc. Color really does add to any interface. Like I said .. easy to please. And congratulations on adding staff Jake. Hello Bridget! May your stay be long and fruitful.
mmghobri

I would like less color, since I really like only the important information to stand out (due dates for example). Just pointing out that everyone will have a different preferences, so it would be ideal if it was optional and up to each user.

Glad you're here Bridget, and looking forward to the new design philosophy! I've contemplated migrating to excel as a task list mainly for the looks believe it or not. I'd love it if Toodledo had an excel-inspired skin for the tasks section. Main requests would be:

*columns immediately re-sizable/sortable/interchangeable,
*clearly outlined cells,
*removing indentation of subtasks,
*able to control the conditional formatting of tasks (I might want to format high priority tasks differently from the next user)
*control section breakout headers (having an entire month of tasks is too much for one header when sorted by due date imo)
*Calendar! I understand google calendar has its issues syncing, but y'all can get around it by importing events from them! (as opposed to exporting). So instead of listing my tasks on gcalendar, I can come to toodledo and see all of my gcalendar events and plan tasks around them (ideally, edit due dates/times/length through calendar drag/drop). Sounds like a feature request, so if the focus is on UI only, then at least a more filled out calendar would be very useful

Other than that general sleekness of the site would be great. I echo the keyboard shortcut comment (although I'm a younger computer user I still find keyboard shortcuts highly productive)

Again looking forward to everything!

This message was edited Sep 18, 2014.
Dave

mmghobri - you can change your subtasks to not be indented under the "show" tab. There are a few options there.
mmghobri

Thanks Dave! I should've described my setup a bit more: it's sorted by due dates, and i usually don't assign subtasks due dates depending on what they are, so they don't show up inline unless I expand the parent. I was hoping that with the parent expanded, the subtasks would still not be indented
megblue

Posted: Sep 18, 2014
Welcome!

Please do something about the color scheme. Look at other apps and they are bright, and pleasing to look at. Toodledo is so boring and drab. The appearance is what keeps me looking at other apps since I like most of the functions.
JCarl

Posted: Sep 18, 2014
I would respectfully say that until Toodledo become more collaborative with activity stream comments etc it will limit its target audience to individuals only leaving the world of organizational communication to the Asana's of the world. This would be a shame as it already embodies so much power and features. I have had to move on until this becomes a reality.
Bridget K

Posted: Sep 19, 2014
Hey there Toodledo users,

Just checking in to let you know I have been reviewing all of your responses.

At the moment I'm most interested in hearing detailed accounts and experiences using the following features:

1. Goals
2. Settings
3. Add a Task

I'd like to hear specific scenarios and use cases to better understand your perspective on these three subjects.

* Remember, the more information about your specific use case the better I will understand your point of view.

i.e. I use my Toodledo settings to do this specific set of behaviors very frequently. I encounter the following problems when attempting to achieve this set of behaviors...

Include reason, context, frequency and specific emotions to maximize your feedback.

Thanks, and have a great weekend.

:)

BK

This message was edited Sep 19, 2014.
bryan.roach

Posted: Sep 21, 2014
Hi Bridget, I'm happy to hear that a redesign is underway! Here are a few suggestions.

1. Scrolling tasks for narrow screens

There is a setting "Top is fixed and tasks scroll" which has been listed as experimental for a long time. I find the site far more useable with this enabled. However, when I use the site on my laptop, the page is more narrow and it becomes awkward. The only way to reach the vertical scroll bar is to first scroll horizontally to the right. Please fix this.

2. Separate sets of tasks

I currently use two completely separate sets of tasks, one for work and one for personal. I have found a way to manage this by using different contexts, but it's not ideal. It prevents me from using contexts for other purposes. It also means that all tasks use the same folders, when I'd much rather have a set of work folders and a set of personal folders. I'd like to see a design that makes it easier and more natural to have this separation.

3. Markdown for task details

It would be handy to support some markdown syntax in the task details. This is a simple shorthand to allow formatting such as bold, italic, and lists without needing to type HTML tags.

https://github.com/adam-p/markdown-here/wiki/Markdown-Cheatsheet
coolexplorer

Posted by mmghobri:
Thanks Dave! I should've described my setup a bit more: it's sorted by due dates, and i usually don't assign subtasks due dates depending on what they are, so they don't show up inline unless I expand the parent. I was hoping that with the parent expanded, the subtasks would still not be indented

Jake/Bridget, I use indented sub-tasks all the time. It would be a deal breaker for me if this convenient visual arrangement is removed. I don't envy your job of managing seemingly conflicting requirements from customers. Keep up the good design metamorphosis.
coolexplorer

Posted by bryan.roach:
There is a setting "Top is fixed and tasks scroll" which has been listed as experimental for a long time.

On my laptop, when this feature is turned on in settings, it shows only 5 tasks and leaves the rest of the page below blank. I use it in conjunction with the 'left sidebar can hide' feature. I am therefore forced to use the "scroll entire page", although I would much prefer to use the former feature. Any fix for this?
Purveyor

Posted: Sep 22, 2014
Hi Bridget. Good work so far in the changes to the main Toodledo page.

Posted by Bridget:
I'd like to hear specific scenarios and use cases to better understand your perspective on these three subjects.
Do you expect us to know the meaning of "use cases"? :-/

Over the years, there have been hundreds (or thousands?) of posts with a wide variety of suggestions and comments, many of them followed by Jake's response: "We can't comment on a timeframe for implementation, but this is on our to-do list."
(More recent posts say "This is on our to-do list, but it is our policy to not comment on our roadmap or delivery dates for future feature improvements" unless they are from Sabina in which case the response is still "We can't comment on a time frame, but this item is on our to-do list.")

One justification for these tiresome posts has been that Toodledo is logging those suggestions in "the list". You should be able to go through that list and get the feedback you need.

Also, is the following post by Jake still true today?
One thing to keep in mind is that only about 3% of our users have ever set foot in the forums, and an even smaller fraction have posted a comment. So, what you read in the forums shouldn't really be used as a general barometer for the desires of the entire user base.
From https://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/7343/-38531/read.html

This message was edited Sep 22, 2014.
AntonioTroitsky

Posted: Sep 23, 2014
Posted by Bridget:
Hey there Toodledo users,

Just checking in to let you know I have been reviewing all of your responses.

At the moment I'm most interested in hearing detailed accounts and experiences using the following features:

1. Goals
2. Settings
3. Add a Task

* Remember, the more information about your specific use case the better I will understand your point of view.

i.e. I use my Toodledo settings to do this specific set of behaviors very frequently. I encounter the following problems when attempting to achieve this set of behaviors...

Include reason, context, frequency and specific emotions to maximize your feedback.

Thanks, and have a great weekend.

:)

BK

It will be greate if in TD will appear patterns of the new tasks.

This message was edited Sep 23, 2014.
coolexplorer

Posted: Sep 28, 2014
Posted by Bridget:
At the moment I'm most interested in hearing accounts and experiences using the following features:
1. Goals
2. Settings
3. Add a Task

1. Would love to see "Goals" connected graphically rather than suggested by a text field. Example below...
LifeLong Goal A --- Long-Term Goal 1
ShortTerm Goal a
ShortTerm Goal b
--- Long-Term Goal 2
ShortTerm Goal c
ShortTerm Goal d
LifeLong Goal B --- Long-Term Goal 1
ShortTerm Goal e
ShortTerm Goal f
etc.
Also ShortTerm Goals should show first in task drop-down box.

2. In "Settings", would like color options for priorities, subtasks, and 5 user defined tags.

3. In "Add a Task" representative icons before each entry field would (with repeated use) quickly identify the context for quick entry, rather than reading the text only. ToodleQuick chrome bookmarklet is very convenient, and could use the same treatment.

Really excited about the UX design changes :)
alexwright72

Posted: Sep 29, 2014
Posted by Bridget:

1. Goals
2. Settings
3. Add a Task

Hi there,

I've been a ToodleDo user for a couple of years now and I love the functionality. I'm 100% in agreement with those who have stated that it needs a UI overhaul. Obviously, that's not a short-term goal, but I wanted to add my $0.02 on my desire to see a slicker interface.

On the short-term practical question that Bridget asks here, I have just one request on the "Add Task" function. Again, maybe this is more UI related, but when I add a task and write "notes" within the task, as soon as I click on the "notes" icon, the note box expands and switches to a Courier font. It's hard to navigate the notes window; it's ugly as well. When I'm finished with the note, I click the note icon again and the entire note reverts to a proportionally-spaced font and looks a little nicer. But if I have to go add or change anything, it weirds out into Courier again. How hard would it be to update the notes section to include rich text, including bold, italic, and color, *while editing the note* as well as while not editing the note?
Purveyor

Posted: Sep 29, 2014
Posted by alexwright72:
How hard would it be to update the notes section to include rich text, including bold, italic, and color, *while editing the note* as well as while not editing the note?
Take a look at this request from March 2009: https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/1594/-7151/feature-request-rich-text-editing-for-notes.html
troy.christmas

Posted: Oct 11, 2014
Welcome Bridget! This is going to be challenging work. Created in 2004, I bet Toodledo has a disproportionate number of us old-heads. Redesigning with modern principals without disrupting us will be a challenge.

I think the phasing is the right approach. I would also be more aggressive on the mobile apps as they probably have more of your younger users, not that us old-heads don't use mobile.

Given the competitive landscape, the idea would be to highlight the rich feature set that differentiates Toodledo without the clutter that seems very out-of-fashion. I'm thinking SIMPLE with configuration options to show more detail to avoid clicks. Also, simple animations and transitions really adds to UX without getting in the way.

Frankly, the table layout appeals to me, but I'd look at the task apps people think are beautiful and see if anything can be adapted without losing productivity. Mobile would be the place where simplicity will be more important IMHO.

Good luck! I'm rooting for us you!
CJD

Posted: Oct 11, 2014
Welcome Bridgette, I am a several year user who does not come on comment on this forum often. But the one thing I want is a prettier UI. I have tried a myriad of other apps, and I ask myself why and mainly is the boring, static UI. Thanks!

I use Toodledo on serveral devices: Mac, ipad, iphone and PC . It must retain it's versatility.
I wish all functions were avaible on all devices.
apastuszak

Posted: Oct 12, 2014
I'd like an Inbox. I use uncategorized tasks as my inbox. But I would like it to actually be called Inbox and have it's own link.
guygg

Posted: Oct 13, 2014
I'm a user that's considering returning to Toodledo at the moment. I got the notification e-mail about my account being more than a year without use, so I thought I'd stop in to see what improvements had been made. I always considered Toodledo to be the "kitchen sink" approach to to-do management. It has tons of features - way more than pretty much any others out there - but was ultimately more frustrating where it counted, and even a bit daunting as a result.

The one that probably drove me to another platform more than any other years ago when I last actively used it was the "quick add" feature. While some things about using quick add were great, it was incredibly frustrating that it couldn't use the syntax that adding by e-mail could. As somebody who never found himself in the situation of needing to add by e-mail, it was extra annoying that one couldn't use that same, and obviously useful, syntax straight into the quick add. Even sadder was the fact that others had commented about that, and I'm pretty sure I had either via forum or support ticket or something, but there seemed to be little interest in using one feature to help the other. As I stopped back to re-evaluate Toodledo this evening, I notice that not only can I still not use the handy syntax when doing a quick add, but people are STILL mentioning that problem, even in this very thread. I have to admit that my heart sunk a tad, because that was the very first thing I checked when I logged back into the site after all this time away from it.

I'm thrilled to finally see a native Android app out there. Just installed it on my Galaxy S5, and will kick the tires while re-evaluating the platform overall. Slapping different colors and UX over things is certainly an improvement, but glossing up LONG standing feature limitations almost makes it sadder. It'd be great if some of these clearly YEARS-LONG feature improvement requests could be addressed (particularly ones like the syntax feature for quick add, where there's obviously already logic in place for that to be used in add-by-email).

I'm happy to chip in a subscription payment for a good task management service, but I'd much rather it be one that has active improvements being made, and most importantly, one that listens to user suggestions in doing so. If you're interested in what platform you're trying to win me back from, that would be GQueues, which not only does very nice UI/UX work, but handles function syntax via quick-add beautifully...

My 2 cents.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.