ForumsNewsToodledo Redesign Plans

Toodledo Redesign Plans
organstops_1415031...

Posted: Nov 17, 2014
Score: 0 Reference
Any possibility of making the entire folder header bars active rather than only the folder name and jump icon?
M

Posted: Nov 17, 2014
Score: 2 Reference
I don't know if addition of a field constitutes an "interface suggestion," and I get the distinct impression that I may be the only person who wants this, but I'm throwing it in the hat, anyway: I'd love a "Times skipped" field. Even if it's just a counter field. I tried using tags, but 'skip1'-'skip999' just ends up being TOO many tags!

- Include your reasoning
I am OCD and ADHD, and have a to do list that I know is WAY too long, but I have been unable to convince myself to trim it. If I could click on a task every day I SKIP it, it could help me to see which tasks are unimportant enough to me that I can probably get rid of them. Using due or start date and seeing how far over I am doesn't really cut it, for me, because I use some "optionally repeating" tasks that roll from day to day.

- Include context
I need this when planning my day, and when ending it and marking off what I did.

- Include frequency
I would use this field daily to some extent, and probably weekly to "trim."

- Include specific emotions
Overwhelmed
peterpiskun

Posted: Nov 21, 2014
Again my suggestion of custom Views.

- Include your reasoning
because at it's core Toodledo is one of the most flexible task management systems out there, but not beeing able to fully customize it to my needs annoys me.

- Include context
some tasks start of day / weekly planning / keeping system up

- Include frequency
daily

- Include specific emotions
not natural way of thinking / acting.
sure i know each monday morning i have to go to Statuses Active to check something.
But i check my weekly outcomes, not "Status: Active"

This message was edited Nov 21, 2014.
Bridget K

Posted: Nov 21, 2014
Hello all, Bridget here.

Just checking in to let you all know I've got my eye on this thread. Nearly all of these posts have been incredibly helpful, so thank you to everyone who is including reasoning and context to help me fully understand your point of view.

Peter_1391085714 - thankyou for taking the time to create this diagram, having a visual helped me quickly understand your suggestion.

Your Workflow
Are you interested in sharing the way you use Toodledo to create an efficient workflow? If so, I would love to hear it. Since the system is so customizable the possibilities are limitless. Understanding how other users work will help me step out of my own shoes and into yours. If you'd like to participate please use the example below and replace the text after each bold term with your own answer and include as much detail as you are comfortable sharing.

*As usual remember to include reasoning, context, frequency and specific emotions to paint a clearer picture. I need to understand not just how you work, but why that flow works for you.

————————

Example Workflow

I use Toodledo for… keeping track of my tasks at work, and recording things I want to reference in the future. I use TD at work each time I have a big project. I collaborate with my co-workers to make sure they have the assets and information they need to stay up to date. I check in to TD to record reference material about 3-4 times per day. I use TD almost exclusively on a desktop computer with Mozilla Firefox.

View by: [selection in left sidebar] Folders. I separate projects at work into different folders so I can focus on one project at a time.

1st Sort: Status. I'm a visual learner, so I can only handle looking at a few tasks at once without feeling overwhelmed. I use status because I can quickly see which tasks I've been actively working on, and what to do next. These tasks are usually going to someone else when I finish my part, so it's important that I can mark them either delegated to someone else, or waiting for something to happen.

2nd Sort: Tag. I use tags as visual indicators that relate to the status of that task. For example, if a task has the status of "waiting" I use the tag to indicate what I'm waiting for. I write all my tags in capitals so they stand out (like I said, visual learner).

3rd Sort: Star. Every once and a while a task needs special attention for whatever reason. I give it a star because the yellow instantly catches my eye.

Other fields/functions: Attachments. If I delegate a task to someone I often add an attachment so the collaborator has a visual to better understand what the task is about. I also attach a screenshot image if I observe something I want to remember in the future (such as an interesting post in the forums).

—————————

I look forward to reading about your workflow.
Happy Friday everyone,

:)

BK

This message was edited Nov 21, 2014.
manzoku

Posted: Nov 24, 2014
This is probably not in your area (more of a feature request) but....

In the Toodledo mobile apps is there any plan to allow the viewing of files that are attached to records/to-do items. This would be especially useful with attached picture files.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 25, 2014
Yes, this is on our todo list.
M_ichel

Posted: Nov 30, 2014
Hi all.

Don't know if this has been mentioned in a previous post (but I'll be damned if I'm going to read them all!).

On OS X, the loss of the Toodledo widget was a BIG problem for me. I was using it to enter new tasks, on the fly, on the spur of the moment, with default values chosen by me, in accordance with GTD principles, etc.

Replacing that with the OS X "app" (the one that stays in the menubar) THAT DOES NOT ALLOW SETTING DEFAULT PARAMETERS was a HUGE mistake on the part of Toodledo developers.

Let's see what you can do about this!

Good luck!
settenano

Posted: Dec 02, 2014
I like Toodledo as it is. It is the most flexible and powerful of them all.
I would only like (a lot) a little more color, some nice icons, skins to change the background. Both on PC and phone/tablet.
Easy things, really.
The Things interface, for example, is nice.
I would also adopt their Today view (it would be the Hot Task in Toodledo)

Thx
Salgud

Posted: Dec 02, 2014
Posted by settenano:

The Things interface, for example, is nice.
I would also adopt their Today view (it would be the Hot Task in Toodledo)

Thx

Jake would probably prefer to avoid Copyright/Patent lawsuits by Cultured Code.

Since a new interface is coming anyway, I'd prefer a far more customizable Hotlist to a prettier one.
cdj123

Posted: Dec 05, 2014
Score: 1 Reference
I think the Task function Toodledo is excellent, but I've been hoping for a while that the Notes feature could be improved. My apologies if I've posted this to the wrong part of the forum.

- Include your reasoning
At the moment, the notes section feels bare bones - some basic formatting options would help a lot, especially being able to insert tables. As such, I use OneNote and Evernote, even though I prefer Toodledo overall.

- Include context
Currently using HTML tags feels clunky for a non-tech person like me, especially for things like bullet lists. I would also like to see alternative organising options, for example being able to link to 'context' as well as to 'folders' and even 'sub-folders'.

- Include frequency
I notice this every day, and it stops me using the Notes section as much as I'd like to.
LeahCorbett

Posted by M:
Please please keep in mind, Bridget, that some of us are "old-timers" (I've been using PCs since 1985, before the existence of the computer mouse) and are highly reliant on keyboards and shortcuts. Reaching for a mouse slows me down, big-time. I want to do as much entry/editing/menu access via the keyboard as I can.

I agree with this, and can't WAIT for color coding. When I bring in new graphic designers, they are habitual mouse users. I teach them KB shortcuts and they increase their speed by double.

For me, color coding the list would make it 400% more useful. Icons would be awesome too.
Thanks!!

This message was edited Dec 05, 2014.
garyo

For me, one of the biggest missing things in ToodleDo is batch modification of tasks. Often, say at the end of the week, during my weekly review as I sit at my PC, I'd like to select a bunch of tasks and increase their priority, bump them to next week, or decide to do them @home instead of @work (change their context). There is no way to do that as a group; you have to go through them one by one and make the desired change. This is error-prone and pretty frustrating.

I wish there were just an extra "select" checkbox column; checking in there would select tasks for batch change. Then you'd make the change on any of the tasks and it would update all of them. (That's just a suggestion, I'm sure there are other ways to do it.)

The only workaround I've heard before is to use starring, and then search for the star (because you *can* batch update the results of a search -- the functionality is there!). Unfortunately I already use stars for "immediate tasks to work on" so this doesn't work for me.
Salgud

Posted: Dec 08, 2014
Kind of funny, an "old timer" who started with computers in '85, when just about everyone else did. Them folks are young whippersnappers! :) I wrote my first code in '66, punched it into the cards myself too, back when there were no programs except the ones you wrote yourself. Then we got DOS and KB shortcuts, a huge breakthrough, which was replaced by Windoze. The big breakthrough there was that we no longer had to memorize keyboard shortcuts for each app, which then changed when that app became obsolete, and we had to memorize all new keyboard shortcuts. If you're using a dozen apps or more on a regular basis, as I do, it's no fun memorizing a couple of hundred KB shortcuts. No time saved there! So please keep in mind, some of us prefer NOT to have to memorize how to do everything in TD, that's what a GUI is for. The 2 minutes a day I save with KB shortcuts doesn't begin to offset the pain of memorizing a new set every time something changes, and the complexity of remembering Cntrl-Alt-F5 to start the dishwasher! A few of us are still eternally grateful that we don't have to go through this anymore, and hope you'll remember to make everything doable without resorting to this archaic false hope of "saving time" with KB shortcuts.

This message was edited Dec 08, 2014.
pokrakam

Posted: Dec 08, 2014
I hate the way task notes work. Too much clicking to repeatedly add snippets to my notes.

I'd like to:
Open a task when I start working on it, and have the notes box open and ready for input the whole time the task is open/active.

Why?
I often paste reference details into my notes (person's name, telephone number, time they called, order number, table name, URL, etc...), usually 4-5 snippets of info per task. With OneNote it's a case of alt-tab, type/paste, alt-tab back, done. Toodledo makes me click each time to open the task notes box, which closes the moment I switch back to what I'm working on.

My current workflow uses OneNote, partly because of ease of use, excellent search, and ability to paste screenshots and other rich objects (which would be nice in TootleDo) However a separate notes page is overkill for these kind of little 'snippet' notes.
My ideal notes workflow is OneNote for the bigger pieces of work and use Toodledo task notes for the smaller tasks.
targheauto

Posted: Dec 09, 2014
In my opinion, these are the main drawback of current Toodledo implementation:

1) One level of subtasks only
2) Overall appearance, graphics of the website
3) Lack of an official desktop client, which would be very useful as working only thru the website is often slow and cumbersome.
4) Tags are unusable, specially from the web interface.
Salgud

Posted: Dec 10, 2014
If tags are unusable, how come so many of us have been using them for year? I agree, it's not a great implementation of tags and could use a lot of improvement, but unusable is demonstrably not true.
gurminderm

Hi Bridget

Glad you're on board - I've been using ToodleDo for a couple of years and although it does need a reskin, I wouldn't want it to become an over-complicated app. Whatever you do, please don't turn it into a Todoist or Wunderlist. Things that look nice and shiny, but are completely ineffectual.

I use 2do for my personal tasks

Thanks
jbgoode

Score: 3 Reference
Got to disagree with gurminderm. Whatever you do, don't fail to learn from why Todoist and Wunderlist are getting lots more attention and press, while Toodledo is falling off of people's radar: design matters. People like to use things that are simple, but powerful.

I'm getting ready to move to another platform because yours feels very old and cluttered. Toodledo's featureset is pretty good, but honestly, I would like to see a "less is more" approach with the UI.

I only use Toodledo for tasks. I want something that looks simple because I use it all day long and don't want to be distracted with extra stuff. The columns are too much. Just because I use a field's value doesn't mean I want to see it all the time. Notes, Outlines, and Lists are useless to me (what's the different use case for an Outline vs a List, anyway?). Most people use Evernote for notes, so I'd work on integrating with them.

Colorwise, The gray/blue feels like very industrial and boring. Either go minimal color or go bold, but don't be stale.

Saved searches are a great feature that are super useful and that really set Toodledo apart from other tools. Make them more prominent.

Lastly, I think you should consider rebranding under another name. It feels just a little too cutesy for something as serious as productivity.

Thanks for listening, and if you are interested in getting some good user feedback, I suggest usertesting.com. They're pretty cheap, and our company's gotten a lot of great insight that we never would have thought of by just watching users click through stuff on our website.
jbgoode

I use Toodledo for… implementing GTD for keeping track of all the stuff I have to do with my work, personal life, and everything in between. I use the website on Chrome and the iOS app.

View by: [selection in left sidebar] contexts, switching by which one i'm in.

1st Sort: importance. i have a ton of tasks and the hot ones need to bubble to the top. the smartness of importance helps me keep things prioritized.

no 2nd or 3rd sorts.

I use notes for tasks if i have forwarded them from email.

folders are gtd projects.

don't use tags much. don't use sharing, since i don't know any other toodledo users. tasks i delegate go to my team in JIRA. priorities are nice, but not as useful if there are only 3. if there were user-defined priorities or reordering, i'd use them more.
targheauto

Posted: Dec 12, 2014
I agree with jbgoode when he suggest to rebrand under another name ... I never liked Toodledo. As I don't like Wunderlist, sounds to me like wurstel :)
Anyway, sticking to functionalities, another thing I'd like to have is being able to configure both lists of statuses and priorities, at least in such a way that one can choose from a list of values (may be the current ones) to pick only the ones he's going to actually make use of,
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.