ForumsNewsToodledo Redesign Plans

Toodledo Redesign Plans
Ken Thomas

Posted: Feb 08, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
I agree!

Instead of having the discrete silos (Tasks / Notes / Outlines / Lists / Habits) in their separate tabs along the top of the webpage not being integrated, you could possibly have the following integrated tabs (Tasks / Projects / Ideas / Goals) instead!

I think Toodledo currently has the basic features needed to make this work. I have no doubt there’s a bit of work integrating the current features that Toodledo has and there is the need to have a better user interface and website navigation for each of the suggested tabs – but wouldn’t it be something if Toodledo could pull it off!

Having Tasks / Projects / Ideas / Goals as the four main tabs / pillars on which organise your life would be far better way to do things.
WCONNER

Posted: Feb 09, 2015
Welcome Bridget and may you find this work both challenging in a good way to find meaningful solutions and fun.

I'm sure there are a lot of ideas and suggestions related to what we users would like to see in the product. I look forward to seeing what methodology you will use to solicit ideas or needs and then how best to communicate if and how they will be applied.

Toodledo needs you and the changes. Going gentle so not to disrupt those using the system is beneficial but you are also in a fast paced environment. If someone else develops a better platform than you currently have and attracts what is or could have been your customer, then steady as she goes will crash and burn.

Think portable transistor radio. Few people walked around and said they wanted a transportable radio. Once it hit the market, no one knew how they lived without one. Build what needs to be built.

It has been said that eighty percent of development is planning. I would add planning and communicating.

Most sincerely, all the very best.

Bill
[email protected]
AA

Posted: Feb 10, 2015
I beg to disagree with Ken Thomas (and others) above. I appreciate that Tasks, Notes, Habits and Lists are currently distinct, separate environments. That may be just me, but I'd find it confusing to see those four areas integrated. (I don't use Outlines.)

Please do not enforce any such integration. Make it optional for those Toodledo users who would find it helpful.

This message was edited Feb 10, 2015.
Disorganised

Posted: Feb 16, 2015
Maybe an idea to allow IAP(in-app purchases) for the Android Toodledo app so that we can easily upgrade to premium
c5000nc

Posted: Feb 17, 2015
Score: 1 Reference
One solution would be to give us the option of attaching multiple Notes, Outlines, Lists and Habits to a Parent Task, similar to a SubTask. For example, this would allow those who wanted an extensive Outline as part of a Task to have it as an Outline under/attached to a Task. This would seem to be a much easier design feature than trying to re-design Tasks to have Outlines, Lists, etc.

Posted by Ken Thomas:
I agree!

Instead of having the discrete silos (Tasks / Notes / Outlines / Lists / Habits) in their separate tabs along the top of the webpage not being integrated, you could possibly have the following integrated tabs (Tasks / Projects / Ideas / Goals) instead!

I think Toodledo currently has the basic features needed to make this work. I have no doubt there’s a bit of work integrating the current features that Toodledo has and there is the need to have a better user interface and website navigation for each of the suggested tabs – but wouldn’t it be something if Toodledo could pull it off!

Having Tasks / Projects / Ideas / Goals as the four main tabs / pillars on which organise your life would be far better way to do things.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
You can already attach multiple notes/outlines/lists to a task if you have a Gold subscription.
Disorganised

Jake, any future prospect of implementing in-app purchases in the Android app to allow us to upgrade to silver/gold/etc?

This message was edited Feb 17, 2015.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We are considering adding upgrades via in-app purchase to both our Android and iOS app, but I do not have an ETA at this time. You can purchase them on this website in the meantime.
Disorganised

Posted by Jake:
We are considering adding upgrades via in-app purchase to both our Android and iOS app, but I do not have an ETA at this time. You can purchase them on this website in the meantime.

Ok thanks
c5000nc

Posted: Feb 21, 2015
I see that now. Thanks!! On the Android app, in the Task list or when editing the Task, I couldn't see an Outline I attached to a Task. I assume that will come later.

Posted by Jake:
You can already attach multiple notes/outlines/lists to a task if you have a Gold subscription.
c5000nc

Posted: Feb 21, 2015
It would seem an easier solution to the issue of re-designing Tasks to act more like Projects is to simply allow Outlines (and perhaps Lists, Habits and Notes) to have Fields that allow them to be included in the Tasks list section. The Outline could have a Check Box if we wanted it included in the Tasks section. That would lead to asking us to complete the Task Fields for it.

This way, an Outline can serve as a Project, with all the Task fields so it could show up in whatever Tasks lists desired. If one wanted to use the Outline function as it is, they would not check the Check Box.

This would allow us to have Outlines/Projects fully integrated into our Task lists like any other tasks, without a major Task re-design. It would be important to be able to work on the Outline by clicking on it within Tasks, ideally without having to toggle back and forth between Tasks and Outlines.

Posted by Jake:
Salgud

Posted: Feb 23, 2015
Posted by c5000nc:
It would seem an easier solution to the issue of re-designing Tasks to act more like Projects

Not sure what you mean here, "more like Projects". What kind(s) of Projects?
c5000nc

Posted: Feb 24, 2015
I was thinking more involved To Do's that had 3 or 4 layers.

Posted by Salgud:
Posted by c5000nc:
It would seem an easier solution to the issue of re-designing Tasks to act more like Projects

Not sure what you mean here, "more like Projects". What kind(s) of Projects?
Salgud

Posted: Feb 24, 2015
Score: -1 Reference
Ok, so you're talking about additional layers of tasks, which is typical in many projects (but not necessarily all projects). This is a long and oft-requested feature, admittedly difficult to implement. Since this feature has been on "the list" for many years before the development direction went horizontal, I'll be extremely surprised to see it make the cut now that depth of task management has been abandoned.
Brian

Posted: Mar 01, 2015
Great ideas in this topic. Toodledo has done a great job at allowing customization based on individual use cases.

As a chronic note taker the #1 item that prevents me from making Toodledo the my hub for tracking my everyday life is the difficulty in taking organized notes (e.g. Rich Text), regardless of Tab or platform. Before I work a task (e.g. phone conversation) I have a list of related topics (e.g. topics, desired results) and when I perform the task I take real time notes on the result (e.g. commitments and outcomes of the conversation.)

Suggesting HTML tags (for several years) is out of touch with reality. This is like telling someone that wants a car with anti-lock breaks that they can pump the breaks quickly to get the same results.

Since 2012 I have avoided adopting any new tool without Rich Text. As a premium user since 2009, I am hooked on the functionality, but it is hard to hang in with the slow adoption of what I consider "admission to the game" functionality.

The new features introduced over the past 18 months (and suggestions in this forum) are awesome! Prioritizing between cool new features (for die hard task management folks) AND implementing baic functionality demanded by the market is not a winning formula. Basic functionality needs to be assumed as "admission to the game." When the basics are not addressed superior products and early market leaders (e.g. Blackberry) make themselves irrelevant. For my family, Toodeldo is very relevant. Please prioritize the real basics!

This message was edited Mar 01, 2015.
choralreef

Posted: Mar 02, 2015
Score: 3 Reference
Hi,
I use toodledo mostly on a laptop at work, with a bit on the android. So far it has been working really well as a checklist of things to do that has powerful sorting and binning ability. The trouble I'm running into now is I think two themes that have come up in the forum posts prior - projects and planning/scheduling.

Projects:
Currently I use goals to define projects, and that works in theory, but really I tend to ignore them after having defined that field. What might help is if there were some way to color code or flag similar goals (or create a new projects functionality like some people are proposing) - I've noticed that the option to distinguish prioritization level with color and bolding of the font face does qualitatively make a difference for me.

Planning / Scheduling:
I am using start and end times and then the iCal functionality to connect scheduled tasks to Outlook and my android calendar app. The update frequency doesn't actually end up being a problem for me, and the items show up in a very convenient schedule with tasks and time neatly arranged on my calendar, but the one-way updates makes it difficult to really look over my schedule and then make changes as needed. To make matters worse, there's no way to do this even from within Toodledo - the calendar functionality only allows sorting by date, and there is no view of the week's schedule by tasks, much less one with the ability to drag and drop them from one time slot to another. The result is that I have to guess what seems like a good time slot is for my task, then wait for it to pop up in Outlook or my calendar app, and if it's not satisfactory go back to toodledo, search for the task, change the times again, and so on - far from ideal. Having a calendar view with drag and drop would certainly be a welcome addition to the app. Such a view could also make slotting tasks easier because you might drag and select a time period on a certain date, obviating the need for five separate manual entries of start date, time, length, end date, time.

Thanks!
mmghobri

Posted: Mar 07, 2015
Need a user field in which I can enter numbers (and sort by that). This will be used as my priority field. Importance is frustrating to use.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 07, 2015
Try using tags. You can make the first tag something like "P0001", "P0002". etc
mmghobri

Posted: Mar 08, 2015
Suggestion appreciated Jake, issue is that tags currently houses context/status/tag all in one, so sorting on that breaks the 3-layer sorting perk.

Currently using the length field. lets me order the tasks I plan to complete them regardless of due date, then sorts on due date when length is blank or repeated; but doesn't take fractions, converts minutes to hours, and adds a time suffix. A simple undefined number column (or a text column working similarly to "tags") would be more effective and give us more control, and can be hidden if not needed.

Adding more than one more user fields would resolve requests for task dependency and/or mutlilevel subtasks, as we'd be able to do those very easily as well.

This message was edited Mar 08, 2015.
c5000nc

Posted: Mar 13, 2015
Score: 2 Reference
Any chance of allowing more than one column where we can enter whatever value we want, like Tags allows? And maybe a couple of more with pull-down menus where we can add pre-set values, like Locations? This would provide tremendously greater flexibility.
Posted by Jake:
Try using tags. You can make the first tag something like "P0001", "P0002". etc
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.