ForumsNewsToodledo Redesign Plans

Toodledo Redesign Plans
Ann M

Posted: Jul 26, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
Can you tell us if part of the task redesign will include a "rich" notes field where we can put images and the like? I would upgrade for this feature as I would find it more useful than having attachments. Thanks for your consideration. Ann
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 27, 2015
Having richer notes is definitely something that is on our todo list.
Ummagumma

Posted: Aug 03, 2015
Score: 2 Reference
Being able to email to notes would be a huge improvement.

It's often that we need to take quick notes on the fly, at different locations etc, and want them to be synced across different devices and networks.

There's many different ways to do that, like Evernote or Onenote. But they are often just too much, too full featured, too elaborate for a quick snippet of information, and sometimes take too long to start on older devices.

Toodledo notes are very simple and accessible from any of these devices.

However, adding a note takes a few extra steps. It would be great if some existing text could simply be emailed.

Right now I just email as task and then when I have time copy it to note. Would be great if I could just specify that emailed text goes into a note.

This message was edited Aug 03, 2015.
ed_sponsler

Posted: Aug 04, 2015
Pressing TAB when creating a new List Item should advance to the next cell, not commit changes; that's what Enter/Return already does.
rustyw2020

Posted: Aug 06, 2015
Score: 1 Reference
Another vote here from a subscription paying customer for "linked tasks" or "task dependencies". In using a GTD methodology, getting things "out of your head" and onto your task list is one of the primary goals of the system. As others have mentioned, some tasks or groups of tasks (I call them "mini-projects") can't all be done immediately, but you don't want to sideline the waiting tasks completely, you want them to pop up when their dependent task is marked complete.

I'm forced sometimes into Microsoft Project just to document to-do's with dependent or linked tasks, but that tool is far too cumbersome and non-portable for me to use just to gain that one feature.

Otherwise, ToodleDo is my first choice go-to app. Thanks for the consideration!
coolexplorer

Posted: Sep 02, 2015
Below is an email I got from Todoist. It is self-explanatory. A similar tool would be useful for TD.

Todoist : "Your to-do list should never slow you down. That’s why we created an even faster way to capture tasks from anywhere on the Web. Now you can turn selected text from any Chrome webpage into a task without ever entering the Todoist app!
* Add Facebook events to your to-do list.
* Turn specific text from emails into tasks.
* Add an IMDB movie as a task to watch later.
The possibilities are endless.

Ready to supercharge your Chrome productivity? Here’s how to get started:
[New Feature] Capture tasks anywhere on the Web with Todoist for Chrome
1. Highlight the text you want to add as a task.
2. Right click to open the Chrome menu.
3. Choose “Add to Todoist” from the list.
The new task will appear in your Todoist inbox with a link back to the original web page for easy reference later."

A little competitor / market intelligence wont harm! A little paranoia helps to keep one step ahead.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 02, 2015
coolexplorer

Posted: Sep 03, 2015
You are right the bookmarklet is great, however you cant highlight some text on a website and have it auto-populate into the task field. One has to copy-paste it. Unless I am wrong. Maybe you can tweak the bookmarklet to do this automatically. It does that with the web page link automatically.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 03, 2015
We'll look into this.
harsh.modi

Posted: Sep 06, 2015
Thanks for improving the printing behaviour significantly - recently.

At this time, I am finding 3 main issues which a lot of people want.

- Easier collaboration without different cumbersome workspaces (easy to assign tasks to people/contacts)
Addition of comments to tasks by different people involved in the task

- Ability to make a daily plan

- Dependent tasks

Could you please advise on the timeline to make this happen.

Thanks!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 08, 2015
This is on our to-do list, but it is our policy to not comment on our roadmap or delivery dates for future feature improvements.
Varun Bhatta

Posted: Sep 09, 2015
One suggestion regarding the redesign - currently in toodledo, everything is a column attribute (tag, folder, etc.). So, you make an to-do event, and everything related to it - due date, project it belongs to, tag, etc. - come in the same row, but different column. But this is not visually intuitive as it is not easily readable/decipherable.
What I would recommend is coming up with different way of arranging the data - a task having a particular background colour depending on the tag or folder you put in. Similar visual arrangements can be done to reduce the column attribute.

PS - E.g., this feature is available in asana - where the projects are colour coded.
Christoph Dollis

Posted: Sep 12, 2015
Hi, a few things.

First, I wanted to say you've all done fantastic work on the redesign. It makes Toodledo a lot more fun to use. I had moved my tasks out of Toodledo into Workflowy as I wanted something simpler. To be honest, I'm kind of glad I did, because while there I came up with an easy and effective way to manage tasks. However, actually doing it was a lot clunkier in Workflowy than Toodledo! It is a breeze in Toodledo. So I migrated my tasks back to Toodledo and am now using the newer, simpler, and awesome system in Toodledo. I just signed up for another year, it's so good. So keep up the great work!

That brings me to two feature requests that would make Toodledo a lot better. One, I know I've asked for before, but it hasn't been implemented. However, seriously, it could be done in 50 minutes work or so and I don't have any idea why you guys haven't done it. You've agreed with me that it's a good idea, to my recollection.

To start with, I'll quickly explain my new task management system that might be useful for also for existing or prospective Toodledo customers. This will also illustrate why what I'm asking for—which will hardly take you any time at all to do and almost all of your users will like it—is important to me.

I use star, start date, repeat, and priority, that's it. If I have a due date, I put it in the title of the task itself, as Michael Linenberger recommends, and my system is a much-simplified version of some of his excellent concepts. I set Toodledo to automatically unstar a task once it's checked off. Also, tasks are styled by priority.

I sort first by start, then start date, and then by ABC, all normal, not reverse, sorts.

I do almost all my work at “All Tasks” in just one long list, but it’s well sorted. I hide nothing, including future-start-dated tasks.

I star anything I am intending to get done that day. Most items forever remain low priority.

But once in a while, I want a flag to ensure that a task that may be a little or a lot down the list is still understood to be really important once it reaches its start date. Maybe it's urgently tied to the accomplishment of a dependent task or some such. Maybe it's just money that's due or something like that.

Anyway, that gets assigned a priority. So, the styling of that task changes and when I skim my list, it stands out, and reminds me to star it when it becomes urgent or simply do it. Otherwise, I might overlook a bill's due date or a critical phone call.

This naturally and easily creates a type of urgency–priority overview, like the matrix Dwight Eisenhower used that Steven Covey made famous (for a while, anyway). So you get a lot of the benefits of Linenberger's Master Your Workday Now new system plus Covey's The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People classic system and it's extremely simple to maintain.

Finally, to handle “over-the-horizon” tasks, which Linenberger explains in his book and on his blog, I simply change their start date to none, and that puts them at the bottom of the list.

Here is the rub.

For some historical reason, you have different colors for priorities in the mobile apps than you do on the Toodledo website. Please agree with me that this doesn't make any sense and, further, would be easy to fix with a bit of css. FWIW, I wrote this css once as a userstyle, but don't use it since I check Toodledo's website at multiple locations and I want it to, at least, be consistent when using the web version.

Can you, pretty please, have a look at my css and/or simply make the colors match? It would make a huge difference to how I use Toodledo, and to show my support for your improvements so far and excellent sorting capabilities, I've just extended my Gold membership another year. I realize I'm just one customer, but I imagine you can see how having the same colors across platforms is a great idea? That others will like too? I personally think the mobile app's prioritization color scheme is better, but the main thing I'm asking for is that it's the same, for usability.

/* Changes priority colors to match the priority
corners on the iOS 3 app, with the exception of
"Low" priority. There is no CSS hook in Toodledo
distinguishing Low and Negative priority, so this
is unavoidable. Bolds all tasks. This is
desirable because the prioritized colors of the
tasks can be a little on the light side. Also, in
the app itself, the same font weight (in that
case, not bolded, but dark text) is used for the
different priorities. */

.pri0 {
color: #6E6E6E !important;
font-weight: bold !important;
}

.pri1 {
color: #797006 !important;
}

.pri2 {
color: #B26E01 !important;
}

.pri3 {
color: #700000 !important;
}

/* Makes completed tasks opaque. */

.rowcomp {
opacity: 0.3;
}

N.B. That was for Toodledo's website on Feb 12, 2015, when I last updated the userstyle. I'm not sure if those are still the right classes for the css to apply to, but probably so.

Thank you for considering my suggestion.

The second thing is that while your color scheme is great, and I like it a lot (I really do), it's blue. It's fantastic for the daytime.

Yet at night, I am using f.lux to lower the color temperature of my laptop's monitor for health reasons. It has a lot of benefits, only some of which are spelled out at f.lux's website. Having bright, blue-hued light in the morning has been shown to help people maintain a lower body weight, better mood, more energy, and so on. So well done with the blue theme!

https://justgetflux.com/research.html

Yet blue light hurts health at night, causing sleep problems, mainly, which negatively impact all those other problems including weight, mood, and energy. Plus, it's hard on the eyes, and softer, redder tones are easier.

Can you please, therefore, give consideration to an option in settings to have a nighttime theme that uses red rather than blue accents? It would still look very cool.

I might suggest, if you want to go all out and make something super sweet to again outdoor your competitors with a key differentiator, you could even have a setting where it naturally flips over at dawn and dusk, as f.lux does, based on your location. But if that's too much work, and I get that, just an option to switch from the blue to the red theme in settings. I'd just leave it at red, personally, but your mileage may vary.

The thing is, Toodledo is way up there on my list of sites I use a lot, so it would be a really nice feature to have.

All that said, kindly (!) prioritize making the web priority colors match the app priority colors. That is, I imagine, so easy to do, and your outstanding new Interaction Designer, Bridget, would probably enjoy doing it.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2015.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 14, 2015
Yes, we plan to soon standardize the colors that we use to represent priority across our website and mobile app.
murray1

Score: 1 Reference
I would like to see this functionality (unless I've been missing something):

1. I am unable to use ToodleDo on my laptop when there is no wifi connection.

2. I'd like to have the ability to mover around subtasks in my iOS device.

The two limitations have been driving me to look elsewhere for a new task manager,.
But I'd rather not switch and use the time on my asks.

For example when I am on a plane without wifi, I can't even use the site to unload my mind or plan ahead.

And if i"m in the subway, I can write tasks in my Iphone but I can't rearrange my asks very easily.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Offline functionality on our website is something that we plan to add. For now, you'll need to use an offline capable app to manage your task when offline and then sync it with Toodledo when you come back online. Organizing subtasks via our iOS app is something that we plan to add.
Christoph Dollis

Yes, we plan to soon standardize the colors that we use to represent priority across our website and mobile app.

Great news, thank you.
dennislynn

Bridget...Welcome!

ToodleDo is a big part of my day - has been for awhile. One feature I have found I missed is the ability to print from the iPhone app. I only found this out when my laptop printer files became corrupted and tried to print from the app - I was a little surprised we didn't have that feature.

Thanks much!

Dennis Lynn
Varun Bhatta

Posted: Sep 15, 2015
Posted by Jake:

Thanks for letting us know. Are there any plans to introduce colours for folders or tags? Because, I personally do not work with priorities. And, while seeing the list of activities in the next 7 days, if the tasks are colour coded with respect folders (or tags or other filter), it would be very intuitive.

Thanks for the revamp of the UI. Like all the changes being done!

This message was edited Sep 15, 2015.
rich_sargent

Posted: Sep 15, 2015
Just want to say thanks for all the little improvements. I have Toodledo open all day everyday in one of my screens. Love the website and apps in both ipad and iPhone.

For your interest I set all my tasks as medium with a one week due date. I use folders for different types of Projects/activities. I use Tags for people I interact with. This is great as I can have multiple people tagged to the same task, and when I meet up with that person I can easily see all the related topics. I have set my hotlist so that due items move into it. My daily routine is to look my hotlist and Star items for my daily tasks.

Keep up the good work.

and thanks to all the good folks making good recommendations. Please keep in mind that simplicity is key when recommending new features.

Better get back to my list!

kind regards
Richard
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.