ForumsNewsToodledo Redesign Plans

Toodledo Redesign Plans
andy_1339337623

Posted: Dec 13, 2014
Score: 2 Reference
Posted by targheauto:
I agree with jbgoode when he suggest to rebrand under another name ... I never liked Toodledo.

+1

I can't stand the name, and I hate the fact that I can't hide or replace the logo. I got fed up with people at working chuckling at it, so I pretty much stopped using it.

It's an excellent program in so many ways, but you've struggled to get the basics right, like making it attractive and pleasant to use. It's been incredibly frustrating to read Jake's dismissive comments about suggestions for modernising the Toodledo interface in the past.

By the way, am I the only one confused by Bridget's remit? I think of interface design as being a quite distinct thing -- yet much of the discussion here has been about suggesting new features. I'm actually quite happy with the funcitonality -- I would just like it to be more pleasant to use. Just look at something like OmniFocus to see what a difference this makes.

And please -- if you won't re-brand, then please give paying subscribers hide the ToodleDo name. It's not appropriate for the target audience.
Derek_K

Posted: Dec 14, 2014
Score: 0 Reference
If the remit is about UI Design - great from a functionality perspective - the simpler the better. I love ToodleDo and find it invaluable aid to organising the things in my life i need to organise.

I have one functionality request. Please provide a mechanism for turning on/off the use of special code headers when emailing tasks. For example I like to use the dash "-" to separate the action of a task from the description eg: Call - Santa to find out what Port he likes. HOWEVER currently if I email that task to toodledo it wont recognise anything to the right of the dash as it uses the dash for a location holder.

The choice to turn this functionality on or off I would appreciate.
coolexplorer

Posted: Dec 15, 2014
Score: 1 Reference
Bridget, I for one like the name Toodledo (To-odle-do), its flippant and funny, yet relevant (Anydo, Todoist, etc are just lame).

We can always do with more fun in our lives -- like skins and themes, and color, and plenty of options so that your diverse subscribers can customize to their hearts desire. Toodledo is already the most versatile To-Do app.

Better Evernote and Google Calender integration are fundamentals.

How about a Christmas theme with goodies like a subscription extension and ...... magically getting all my starred tasks done?

Happy festivities!!
Salgud

Score: 4 Reference
I'm up for renaming - something like VeryImportantandSeriousTaskListforImportantStuffyHumorlessPeople.
presco

Outlines are a great way to sort thoughts and ideas. Toodledo's is good but the best that I have run across is Workflowy. Fast and intuitive.
MM1772

Posted: Dec 24, 2014
I'm joining this conversation a little late, so my apologies if I've missed a deadline or am beating a dead horse on some particular point.

Like Bridget, I use Toodledo almost exclusively on a desktop computer with Mozilla Firefox. I was also using it on an iPod Touch, but I don't use that as much because I'm usually on a desktop, laptop, or my husband's iPad.

I use it at home and at work. The only thing I find a little difficult to manage is timing. For example, today is Christmas Eve. I have some things I have to finish at work, things I have to do on the way home, things I have to do at home to prepare to go out, and things I have to do when I return because I'll be heading out early tomorrow morning.

I tried using the Start Time field, but I don't need the specific timing; that is, I don't need the ability to specify the start time for "Brush off boots and put out clothes for tomorrow".

I tried tags. I created some tags that started with z and specified a more general time of day: zCommuteHome, zBeforeSupper, zAfterSupper, zBeforeBed. That works, but I don't always use them.

I tried Context, but I use that for other things, too, so it got messy.

In other words, Toodledo allows me to make my own ways to do things, so it's basically user error that prevents me from using them to the fullest :-)

The other thing that isn't as streamlined as I'd like it to be is that when I use the Calendar view, I may look at yesterday's To Do list and realize that I didn't finish any of them and need to reschedule the entire lot until Saturday. That means I have to go into Search and search for Due Date and then select the date. For me, it would be nice to have a way to automatically reschedule a certain day's leftover items. It could be a link to the Search that automatically fills in the date I was looking at, or a special search where I can search for Today's Date -1 or something. Just some quick way to be looking at a day and say, "Oh, yeah, I need to move all of these items to another day."

And finally, I like the name Toodledo, though everytime I look at my shortcut on the browser bar, in my head I'm saying Toledo, not Toodledo, LOL!

Happy Holidays to all those who celebrate at this time of year.
Bridget K

Posted: Dec 29, 2014
Posted by andy_1339337623:
By the way, am I the only one confused by Bridget's remit? I think of interface design as being a quite distinct thing -- yet much of the discussion here has been about suggesting new features.

Hey Andy, yes the redesign is specifically related to the interface. However, it's helpful for me to know how people feel about everything from features and functionality to design and branding. The more insight I can get from users the more informed I am when making design decisions. So no need to limit type of input in this discussion. The more detail the better when describing a situation or use case that causes frustration.

This input from MM1772 is a great example. The post includes a great deal of context and describes in detail how the situation occurs and why it is or isn't working.

I use Toodledo almost exclusively on a desktop computer with Mozilla Firefox. I was also using it on an iPod Touch, but I don't use that as much because I'm usually on a desktop, laptop, or my husband's iPad.

I use it at home and at work...

I have some things I have to finish at work, things I have to do on the way home, things I have to do at home to prepare to go out, and things I have to do when I return because I'll be heading out early tomorrow morning.

Keep posting, I'm happy to hear your opinions.
Enjoy the holidays everyone,

:)

BK

This message was edited Dec 29, 2014.
alexandremrj_2

Posted: Dec 30, 2014
Hello Bridget,

For me, the direction the redesign is being taken suits me just fine and I like it, but it needs to come fast to the task pane.

One of the design improvements would be "text wrapping", with the new design we are seeing somethings coming out of the borders (bug report already in system) and text wrapping on the grid format in the tasks pane.

I like the grid format because it has all the info I need in one line, but because of the dimension of screens the task title is truncated. Because I switch screens often (different PCs) then I can't expand the grid.
To prevent this chopping of the tasks I usually work in multi-line format, that lets me see task titles without problems but only lets me see the detail of the 1st sort. I have to keep expanding to see somethings.

This could all be prevented with a simple "text wrap" in grid format. Exactly like the iOS app "Multi-line Titles in Lists".

Another design improvement, because its ugly and distracting, would be to remove the grey squares from the background in the iOS app. Of course this last one is personal opinion ;-)

This message was edited Dec 30, 2014.
Salgud

Posted: Dec 30, 2014
Just wanted to say that the redesign of these fora is excellent! Keep up the good work on the redesign.
Vicfrances

Posted: Dec 31, 2014
Hi Bridget,

Good work, it´s been improving at desing, but:

What I can not understand is why Toodledo is expanding new features without finishing the primary ones, this is Procrastination! haha and we are using this app to do the first, first, isn´t?

1) Still we don´t have Lists at IOS app

2) Option to hide the tabs I don't use, like Outlines and Habits. It has been more distraction if we can not keep it clean and simple.

3) Lists is a really good feature that you can make an Outline with chekbox, it´s easy and the same that Outlines section. Why do we have 2 tabs for the same purpose?

4) And I am agree with Andy, design, even now that it´s a little better than before, the website and app are like old, we need a new desing like things, omnifocus, etc

Thank you for your work and your patience :)

This message was edited Dec 31, 2014.
apastuszak

Posted: Jan 07, 2015
A couple of comments late in the game, but still somewhat helpful ( I hope.) I use Toodle Status a LOT. I would love to have linked tasks.

As an example. You have 2 tasks for a project to travel to California. The first task is to buy a plane ticket. So, you mark that as a Next Action. The next thing you need to do is give your boss the flight information, which you don't have yet, so that gets marked as waiting.

You then link one task as a dependency of another. You then go any buy the plane ticket and mark that task as complete. Soon as you do that, the status of "Give Your Boss Flight Information" automatically changes from Waiting to Next Action.

I also agree that the Notes feature, though a nice feature is somewhat weak compared to other offerings. The ability to use another service for Notes such as Evernote and have integrtaion into Toodledo would be nice.
lorlamothe

Posted: Jan 07, 2015
Score: 3 Reference
Hello,

I was wondering if we can add color coding - by folder or by tag
I would really like to see, visually, the different tasks identified by the color assigned to the folder. I think this will add visual appeal as well as ease of finding tasks in the long list of tasks I have listed.

Thank you for the opportunity to add a comment.

Lori L
targheauto

Posted: Jan 08, 2015
I would greatly appreciate such an improvement as well.
Alex

Posted by lorlamothe:
Hello,

I would really like to see, visually, the different tasks identified by the color assigned to the folder. I think this will add visual appeal as well as ease of finding tasks in the long list of tasks I have listed.

Lori L
Ann M

Posted: Jan 08, 2015
Posted by targheauto:
I would greatly appreciate such an improvement as well.
Alex

Posted by lorlamothe:
Hello,

Lori L

I too would appreciate that feature as these kind of visual changes will help the UI significantly.
Ann
Peter Scott

Posted: Jan 09, 2015
Score: 5 Reference
I have been a premium subscriber for ... 8 years? I have no UI desires, although I don't mind changes that increase Toodledo popularity.

What I have wanted since day 1 is subsubtasks. When doing GTD properly they are essential. No, I cannot use folders to add a level, I would end up with too many of them and you cannot in any case attach task metadata to a folder. A use case is easy to construct: Project task: Write yaddayadda book. Subtask: Interview Joe Blow for book. Subsubtask: Call Joe to schedule interview. Subtask: Book design. Subsubtask: Choose font set. Subsubsubtask: Consult font expert.

Not having this capability makes navigating between, organizing, and sequencing, tasks harder than it should be.

I have offered implementation and user interface suggestions in other threads.
M

Posted: Jan 14, 2015
Score: 3 Reference
Could we get "skip to page" links at the TOP of the messages within each forum section (so we don't have to go to the bottom, on each forum post listing screen, to move through the pages) ?

Thanks
AA

Posted: Jan 15, 2015
Please implement Markdown throughout Toodledo's site and apps. It's been driving me insane for years now, having to type out the full HTML tags for bold, italics, etc., whenever I need to highlight/format something in my notes.

(That also applies to this forum. Also, from the Forum Watchlist, there is no way to access the most recent post in a thread – you first need to go to the first page of the thread, then manually flip to the last page of the thread, and finally, manually look for the most recent unread post... Just awful usability.)

Thank you for these and other future improvements.
Salgud

Posted: Jan 16, 2015
Posted by AA:
Please implement Markdown throughout Toodledo's site and apps. It's been driving me insane for years now, having to type out the full HTML tags for bold, italics, etc., whenever I need to highlight/format something in my notes.

(That also applies to this forum. Also, from the Forum Watchlist, there is no way to access the most recent post in a thread – you first need to go to the first page of the thread, then manually flip to the last page of the thread, and finally, manually look for the most recent unread post... Just awful usability.)

Thank you for these and other future improvements.

Maybe it's your browser. I don't have to go to the first page, then advance to the last in the forums. I just click on the last page listed, then scroll down to the unready entries.
AA

In the Forum Watchlist, there are no page listings. Only thread titles, so you only get to the first page of a thread, every time.

Also, you shouldn't be required to scroll manually at any time, visually looking for the first unread post. Ideally, there might be clickable links directly on the Forum Watchlist page, leading straight to the first unread post in each thread. Even free forum software packages like phpBB offer this feature, so it would be nice if Toodledo's forums offered it, too. And, email notifications from the forum about newly added posts in subscribed/"watched" threads would be nice as well.

However, those are meta-issues to me, unrelated to Toodledo's core functionality. My main request to Bridget is to consider implementing Markdown throughout Toodledo's site and apps. The absence of Markdown has been irking me for years now, pretty much on an everyday basis, because I use Toodledo's note-taking functionality (for both Tasks, and Notes themselves) extensively. Thank you for giving it a thought, Bridget.

This message was edited Jan 16, 2015.
AA

Wow, Salgud, I've just discovered that if you tap the icon glyph, with the red dot, to the left of the thread title, it does take you directly to the first unread post in each thread! So, the functionality is there – just not intuitive/easily discoverable, perhaps. However, once you've read all recent posts, there's no way to get to the last page of each thread directly from the Forum Watchlist. Unlike the various forum sections, Forum Watchlist offers no page listings, which can be inconvenient whenever you need to access recent (although not newly submitted) posts in a thread.

[Edit:] Sigh... here comes another self-correction: tapping the icon glyph to the left of the thread title, even without the red dot, does take you to the last page of each thread. I've been using Toodledo's forums for years, but have only just discovered this functionality by pure luck/accident, thanks to our discussion with Salgud. The big icon glyphs by themselves don't appear to be clickable/tappable, but they are, which is great. I'm just wondering if many Toodledo forum users will discover the feature.

This message was edited Jan 16, 2015.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.