ForumsNewsToodledo Update August 2019

Toodledo Update August 2019
prusatomas

Posted: Dec 27, 2019
Score: 0 Reference
Posted by J O D:
I know that is not what you are asking for, but from my experience Clickup on the free plan can be configured that way. But it may be too much for your needs. Also, the filter rules are a bit more limited.

Thank you for your recommendation but ClickUp doesn't use boolean operator NOT which is necessary for me :-/
J O D

Posted: Dec 28, 2019
Now that I didn't expect you to say...???? At least in some filter conditions there are is and is not options. More of issue for some people is that you cannot combine And with Or in the same filter.
prusatomas

Posted: Dec 29, 2019
I agree, the inability to use more complex combinations of boolean operators is the limit in ClickUp. It's a pity.
For comparison:
- Advanced filtering in MLO. The operator NOT is replaced the combination of operator AND with negative "doesn't contain" or "is not true" etc. (sample).
- Advanced search in RTM. Operators AND, OR and NOT are available.

This message was edited Dec 29, 2019.
J O D

Score: 1 Reference
Nevertheless, I use Clickup. And lot of people don't, because for them, this is a deal breaker. But I am afraid that although in some aspects the tools do not have some features of Toodledo, they DO have future...

This message was edited Dec 29, 2019.
prusatomas

I totally agree, I wouldn't say better.
shelbyp

Posted: Dec 31, 2019
Hello, probably my last post here, my subscription ran out and I am not subscribed to TickTick, my answers inline

Posted by prusatomas:
Some of you use paid Ticktick, so I would like to ask you some questions:

1. Can Ticktick use advanced sorting and grouping? E.g. I'd like to create groups of my tasks according to priority and then I'd like to sort items in every group according to due date. Is it possible to combine more rules (rules by rules. e.g. like in MLO)?

==> There is some support for boolean operators and sorting, it is less powerfl than TD

2. Can Ticktick use boolean operator NOT? (Source)

3. Can I edit/rearrange a table view? Can I select properties of tasks what I want to see in a table view (e.g. I can do it in MLO)?

===> NO

4. It it possible to create subtasks with different properties (e.g. different tags) as their parrent task? Can I find and display subtasks separately from their parrent task in smart lists?

==> NO, you can only set different reminders for the "subtasks" which are more like flat lists within a task.

The reasons why I ask:
- Toodledo is dying for a long time, sorry.
- RTM can't display more info on the tasks list (https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/23351/) and a (adaptable/editable) table view is practical for me.
- MLO doesn't have a web interface (only a synchronisation), it is based on one person (the same situation as Toodledo) and online support is so oldschool.

Thanks for answers.

Although my answers are mostly NO, my feeling is that you can accomplish most of what you need by doing things differently, clever use of tags, smart lists etc.

I have 100s of tasks, and I am able to get things to work smoothly.
AS a bonus I like the habits functionality (only on smartphone currently). On smartphone it allows me to model some of the low level repeating stuff as habits and remove alot of the clutter.
greginfla_

Posted: Jan 06, 2020
is August the last update from the Owners? SMH
prusatomas

Posted: Jan 07, 2020
Posted by shelbyp:

Thanks for your answer, It helped me ;-)
prusatomas

Posted: Jan 07, 2020
Score: 2 Reference
Posted by greginfla:
is August the last update from the Owners? SMH

The last post from yesterday: https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/27507/-123253/problems-with-plus-collaborators.html
How surprising it relates to the subscription (and before this post it was the same theme - subscription: https://www.toodledo.com/forums/6/27423/-123003/lifetime-subscription.html).
Owners focus on money...

This message was edited Jan 07, 2020.
Duo

Posted: Jan 08, 2020
Posted by Ummagumma:

1) They are indeed located in Hong Kong but someone found out some time ago that the person whose name the domain was registered to had a mainland address. See the first review here:

https://alternativeto.net/software/ticktick/reviews/

“ Ticktick.com was registered by a Damon Woo of Xihu Street, Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province, 310007, China.
His email address is [email protected]. (You can also find his phone number... and a whole bunch of other details.)”

Now, they’ve since changed the registration to what looks like some US intermediary company, but it’s clear that someone at TT lived in mainland China, or at least had an address there. And when I first read about this and checked for myself, about two years ago, it was still the same address.

2) This doesn’t really matter anyway because HK autonomy is quickly eroding and a small HK company will not have much leverage if the mainland authorities or criminals or a large corporation become interested in the data they have access to.

3) This is why the location of servers doesn’t mean much from data security perspective if the key people who can access them are located in a less secure place.

And this is why I just can’t trust them with my organization data. We are dealing with lots of somewhat sensitive projects (from business and technological perspective) across many industries and I just don’t want to have to self-censor every task and every note.

Ummagumma,

Thank you for this detailed response and sorry about taking so long to reply; I'm just not on the Toodledo site very much these days.

Unfortunately that review and the other information only increases my own worries. I was trailing TickTick over six years ago because I was never really happy with Toodledo but when I wanted to use it for business purposes I wasn't comfortable putting work tasks, or even the more personal tasks there, so I went all in with Toodledo for a while and kept testing various tools.

I stopped using Toodledo quite a while ago and switched to Todoist but I'm still looking for the tool that fits me and my workflow.

This message was edited Jan 08, 2020.
Ummagumma

Posted: Jan 09, 2020
Posted by Duo:

Ummagumma,

Thank you for this detailed response and sorry about taking so long to reply; I'm just not on the Toodledo site very much these days.

Unfortunately that review and the other information only increases my own worries. I was trailing TickTick over six years ago because I was never really happy with Toodledo but when I wanted to use it for business purposes I wasn't comfortable putting work tasks, or even the more personal tasks there, so I went all in with Toodledo for a while and kept testing various tools.

I stopped using Toodledo quite a while ago and switched to Todoist but I'm still looking for the tool that fits me and my workflow.

Duo,

No thanks needed, we're all in the same boat.

When I was looking for a possible replacement for Toodledo, RTM seemed like the closest match based on my needs.

However, I grew tired of having to adapt to new apps or services every 5-6 years, and realized that instead of finding an app that suited my specific Toodledo-centric workflow, I had to change my workflow in a way that would work with even the simplest, most common apps and services.

Here's the setup I've been using for a fairly long time now, and it works well regardless of what tool or platform I use it on.

https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/26261/-121757/read.html#jump
oletros

Posted: Feb 02, 2020
Score: 3 Reference
Posted by c5000nc:
I've been in touch with Anant via email in the last few days, and he said they are working on rolling out a big update. He said once it is done, he will post an update in the forums. He said it is taking a lot of time (my guess is far more than expected) to prepare test cases, and then check each and every functionality of Toodledo, for every test case. It sounds very laborious. I'll take deliberate, thorough and slow over rushed any day, if the end result is a better product.

As Anant told me several months ago, they got stuck because the 7 year old code-base had just been patched up over the years. They are spending their time preparing a stable update before implementing new features. Like I said before, it sounds like it's taking far longer than expected to clean up what his predecessors should have done before he was hired.

I for one am still appreciative of Anant, who is actually working to improve ToodleDo every day, even if it's taking far longer than expected, and even though he does a poor job of keeping us updated.

Though I still create backup csv and xml files regularly (which I would do with RTM and others too), I'm sticking with ToodleDo at least a few more years, because nothing else suits my needs as well, and because someone is trying to stabilize and improve it. Albeit very slowly.

Two months later, no news

We have to admit it, Toodledo is dead and it is just working because the ones that still have not cancelled the subscription but when the number of subscripters reaches a minimun, it will be shut down

This message was edited Feb 02, 2020.
c5000nc

Posted: Feb 04, 2020
Posted by oletros:
Posted by c5000nc:
I've been in touch with Anant via email in the last few days, and he said they are working on rolling out a big update. He said once it is done, he will post an update in the forums. He said it is taking a lot of time (my guess is far more than expected) to prepare test cases, and then check each and every functionality of Toodledo, for every test case. It sounds very laborious. I'll take deliberate, thorough and slow over rushed any day, if the end result is a better product.

As Anant told me several months ago, they got stuck because the 7 year old code-base had just been patched up over the years. They are spending their time preparing a stable update before implementing new features. Like I said before, it sounds like it's taking far longer than expected to clean up what his predecessors should have done before he was hired.

I for one am still appreciative of Anant, who is actually working to improve ToodleDo every day, even if it's taking far longer than expected, and even though he does a poor job of keeping us updated.

Though I still create backup csv and xml files regularly (which I would do with RTM and others too), I'm sticking with ToodleDo at least a few more years, because nothing else suits my needs as well, and because someone is trying to stabilize and improve it. Albeit very slowly.

We have to admit it, Toodledo is dead and it is just working because the ones that still have not cancelled the subscription but when the number of subscripters reaches a minimun, it will be shut down

<sigh> So sad. I'm still using ToodleDo, and will for the foreseeable future. But I've been testing ZenKit, that is totally open architecture, and offers vastly more layout choices and design flexibility than TD ever can.

They are also incredibly responsive to suggestions and feedback.

The only two reasons I haven't totally switched is
1. no multi-task select on Android yet (like the great Ultimate To Do List allows), and
2. no multi-level sort on the Table view (just one level now).

I could reluctantly live without multi-level sort, but really rely on multi-task selection on a mobile device. But my sense is ZenKit will add those things before ToodleDo announces much of anything. So for now, I continue using ToodleDo with daily CSV backups. But maybe not much longer...
jzamoras

Posted: Feb 05, 2020
Posted by c5000nc:
Posted by oletros:
Posted by c5000nc:

<sigh> So sad. I'm still using ToodleDo, and will for the foreseeable future. But I've been testing ZenKit, that is totally open architecture, and offers vastly more layout choices and design flexibility than TD ever can.

They are also incredibly responsive to suggestions and feedback.

The only two reasons I haven't totally switched is
1. no multi-task select on Android yet (like the great Ultimate To Do List allows), and
2. no multi-level sort on the Table view (just one level now).

I could reluctantly live without multi-level sort, but really rely on multi-task selection on a mobile device. But my sense is ZenKit will add those things before ToodleDo announces much of anything. So for now, I continue using ToodleDo with daily CSV backups. But maybe not much longer...

zenkit looks great but I won't pay just for recurring tasks... nirvanahq does not have reminders... is hard to find a replacement

btw, Taskangel is launching an android app soon.
MelaEckenfels

Posted by Anant G.:
Hi Toodledo Users,
Many people on the forums are saying that Toodledo is shutting down, that is not really the case.

Sorry, I'm really worried by your choice of words. "not really the case"? not really? Please explain.

Mela
oletros

Posted by MelaEckenfels:
Posted by Anant G.:
Hi Toodledo Users,
Many people on the forums are saying that Toodledo is shutting down, that is not really the case.

Sorry, I'm really worried by your choice of words. "not really the case"? not really? Please explain.

Mela

From where is this quote?

I don't see any post from Anant

Edit: Ah, it is from a post from last August

From it: "I will try to make everything transparent on what we are working on may be weekly basis."

Yap, really transparent

This message was edited Feb 05, 2020.
Marcelzx

Posted: Feb 07, 2020
So no news? No contact all all from anybody with the new guys in charge?
MultiPurposeWoman

Posted: Feb 10, 2020
is there anyone on the other side of this forum or the twitter account or the support? I've been asking about a refund for almost a month and can't even get a "we're too busy to reply".
jzamoras

Posted: Feb 10, 2020
Posted by MultiPurposeWoman:
is there anyone on the other side of this forum or the twitter account or the support? I've been asking about a refund for almost a month and can't even get a "we're too busy to reply".

imho, just claim a chargeback
oletros

Posted: Feb 11, 2020
Posted by MultiPurposeWoman:

II think that it is going on autopilot until the funds disappear, then it will be shut down
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.