ForumsNewsEarly Sneak Peek into Next Generation *iOS/Android App* Betas

Early Sneak Peek into Next Generation *iOS/Android App* Betas
hasnain_2

Toodledo Admin
Posted: Apr 01, 2022
Score: 14 Reference
We are excited to provide you with an early sneak peek of the next generation Toodledo mobile apps on iOS and Android.

Several months back, we (the new owners) decided it was time for the Toodledo mobile apps to get a fresh start with new apps built on more modern technologies. These apps would allow us to better align to modern iOS and Android features, evolve the app functionality with greater agility, and improve responsiveness to the needs of the Toodledo community.

To kick off, we have overwhelmingly focused on robust stability, reliability, and scalability.

Today, we’d like to offer an early preview of a beta for interested adventurous users. (And we would love feedback on your experiences with it!)

This preview is *good* for people who:

- Want to regularly backup their data at https://www.toodledo.com/tools/connect_backup.php

- Want to get an *optional* and *early* sneak peek into what we've been up to

- Want to help verify that we're achieving the stability, reliability, and scalability across a more diverse range of devices and accounts that we have in-house (but are ok if we're not quite there yet!) We definitely want to hear about every crash, any data loss, functionality that doesn't work altogether, etc.

- Be part of the co-creation journey for the next generation mobile app UX and help shape the direction of Toodledo

- Want to provide feedback to help identify and prioritize the greatest UX opportunities as we shift focus from technical foundation over to UX

- Want to run it side by side with existing/legacy mobile apps and the mobile website

- Want (what we believe to be) stable core Tasks functionality (definitely *not yet comprehensive*)

This is *not* ideal for people who:

- Are wanting to replace the existing/legacy mobile apps (or mobile website) with new apps that are refined and production ready

- (These are an early preview of a starting point for the next generation, and by no means a production/live release)

- Are wanting an already refined UX

- Don't want something that's going to change a lot -- we're going to be moving and changing things around quite a bit, so anybody who gets too attached to how one version works may be disappointed by how different the next one is!

- Aren't wanting to run into certain scenarios being work-in-progress (possibly requiring many taps to accomplish a particular goal)

- Need access to anything beyond Tasks

- Are on older or less powerful devices

- We definitely encourage (and hope for) adventurous users to try it out on as many devices as possible and want to hear about issues to help improve support for a broader range of devices -- but beware that it is not currently optimized for them (the most immediate goal is recent generation iOS and Android phones)

- Are not prepared to backup their data regularly at https://www.toodledo.com/tools/connect_backup.php

- One purpose of providing this access is to gather additional data points on whether we're getting to the level of reliability that we're targeting

Likewise, this preview is *not*:

- Fully fleshed out -- the UX within is a placeholder rather than a proposal or even a strong suggestion

- We welcome constructive feedback and suggestions for what the UX should be -- as much of the existing UX is a placeholder intended for replacement anyway.

- *Correspondingly, users should not get too attached to the current UX as it is subject to (substantial!) changes*

- Comprehensive in functionality - currently contains only core Tasks functionality

- A replacement for the legacy mobile app

- (*It's not an incremental revision of previous TestFlight versions that we've been handing people since we acquired the company -- this is a complete rewrite/new version distinct from any TestFlight you may have previously installed before now*)

- A replacement for the mobile website (as the primary stopgap for breadth of functionality)

- *That being said, we very much welcome feedback on what users feel are the most urgent additions to the current set of functionality*

Here are some specific release notes:

This release has limited task functionality (additional features will be coming in a later release). As with any beta product, please make sure to back up your account regularly while using the beta version. (https://www.toodledo.com/tools/connect_backup.php)

Please expect that the UX, color scheme, layout, etc will change.

Current limitations:

- initial sync takes a long time if you have a lot of tasks. For now, please let it run, and don't swipe it off your phone. Users with >10k tasks might have to wait up to 5 mins for the initial sync only (the first time you sign in). We are working to decrease the time of this initial sync.

- No reminders yet (please rely on reminders from the legacy app for now)

- Can't create subtasks (can view and edit only)

- Some fields are read-only (tags, length, timer, etc.)

- In order for recurring tasks to reschedule, you need to be online. If you are offline, your task will be rescheduled the next time you sync

Coming soon:

- Saved Searches

- Tags

- Dark mode

Please send us your feedback at [email protected]

FINAL REMINDER: Please make sure to back up your data regularly (https://www.toodledo.com/tools/connect_backup.php)

***To Join the iOS Beta App Preview***

1. Install TestFlight on the iOS or iPadOS device that you’ll use for testing (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/testflight/id899247664?mt=8).

2. Open this beta link on your iPhone or iPad: https://testflight.apple.com/join/OTkRmQMb

3. In order to make sure you get the latest updates as we push them out, make sure to turn on Automatic Updates.

Open TestFlight and go to the app’s page.
Under App Information, turn Automatic Updates On or Off.

***To Join the Android Beta App Preview***

To join the Android Beta Test, please visit the following link

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.toodledo

We would appreciate it if you could post feedback at our roadmap site to the "Next Generation Mobile App Features" board. This will help us better manage all the feedback that we are getting in various places and let you see what has already been reported by other users and add your votes to suggestions that will have the greatest impact for you.

https://roadmap.toodledo.com/next-gen-mobile-app-features

Thank you!

The Toodledo Team

This message was edited Apr 11, 2022.
h.grindley

Posted: Apr 05, 2022
Score: 5 Reference
Like a number of other people who've posted elsewhere the Toodledo app on my android phone (Pixel 4a) stopped working in the last week or so. Crashes every time try to add or amend a task. Sooooo.....when are we going to get the upgraded Android app released (and not just a beta version)?
RobotGizmo

Score: 2 Reference
I am having the same issue with crashing on Android so the current app is useless for me. I have had to start using another service until this gets fixed. ☹️

This message was edited Apr 05, 2022.
hilbert

Score: 1 Reference
I had the same issue with the current app crashing.

Removed all data and the cache and uninstalled the app. Rebooted the phone and installed the app again. After that it worked as usual.

This is on a Google Pixel 4a.
hasnain_2

Toodledo Admin
Score: 0 Reference
Dear all,

The current workaround for members not wanting to use the beta mobile app would be to use the mobile browser.

Thanks a lot for your understanding.

Please see also the next post regarding the beta release...

This message was edited Apr 05, 2022.
hasnain_2

Toodledo Admin
Dear Community Members,

We completely understand that beta creates a lot of hesitation in wanting to use the new mobile apps. (We also understand that previous versions have caused the loss of data which is very painful...).

We would like to understand what the biggest hurdle is in downloading and using the beta version:

a) losing 100% of my data

b) one task gets accidentally deleted/merge conflict (coming from offline connecting to online)

c) missing functionalities

if c) then --> which are the minimum features you require to use the beta version?

as a side note, we have had over 800 sessions with the current beta apps (android and iOS), and not a single app crash so far!

Looking forward to your feedback!

Kind regards,
Hasnain
steve.rothkin

Posted: Apr 06, 2022
Biggest hurdles
1) ANY data loss or conflict
2) Needing to daily back up

Biggest needs
1) reliable adding/editing of todos in hotlist or specific folders.
2) reliable notification/alarm at todo due time
3) #1 offline (not covered by mobile app)

This message was edited Apr 06, 2022.
Barrett_2

Posted: Apr 06, 2022
@hasnain_2, I second what @steve.rothkin said about biggest needs and would also add access to settings like fields and defaults
-JOD-

Posted: Apr 07, 2022
Great update (6), now I can see my tasks as a free user:-) I am just experimenting with Toodledo (still not convinced after those dark years) but this mobile app looks very promising even now.

EDIT: Anyway, I have switched to Standard plan just based on the fact that this new team is actually delivering - and even before UI/UX changes, this look 100 % better to my eyes than the previous version.

This message was edited Apr 07, 2022.
glennHg

Posted: Apr 09, 2022
Beta app on Android is behaving as though the current date is one day before today, so adding tasks with date 'today' assigns yesterday's date. Likewise Today tasks list is empty except for any overdue tasks from yesterday.
Running on Android 12

This message was edited Apr 09, 2022.
glennHg

Posted: Apr 11, 2022
Hi, can someone at Toodledo confirm this is the correct place to report bugs for the next gen beta, or is there a dedicated thread? Thanks
glennHg

Another bug: with sub-tasks set to be visible (indented), completed sub-tasks show when the 'show completed tasks' option is disabled.
Android 12
hasnain_2

Toodledo Admin
Glenn,

Thanks for your feedback.
As stated in the initial post please report any bugs in the dedicated roadmap link:

We would appreciate it if you could post feedback at our roadmap site to the "Next Generation Mobile App Features" board. This will help us better manage all the feedback that we are getting in various places and let you see what has already been reported by other users and add your votes to suggestions that will have the greatest impact for you.

https://roadmap.toodledo.com/next-gen-mobile-app-features

Thank you!

The Toodledo Team
hasnain_2

Toodledo Admin
Also please ensure you are on the latest build. Currently this is Nr 6.
For Android you would need to de-install and re-install the app.

Thanks!
glennHg

Posted: Apr 12, 2022
Thanks. I know this is a bit pedantic of me, but the email I received specified that thread as a place to vote for features and didn't mention bug reports, which is why I was confused. I shall post my bugs there now, thanks.
hasnain_2

Toodledo Admin
Posted: Apr 12, 2022
Thanks for the heads up glennHG,

We will correct that for future communication.
LSF_2

Posted: Apr 16, 2022
Posted by hasnain_2:
Dear Community Members,

We completely understand that beta creates a lot of hesitation in wanting to use the new mobile apps. (We also understand that previous versions have caused the loss of data which is very painful...).

We would like to understand what the biggest hurdle is in downloading and using the beta version:

a) losing 100% of my data

b) one task gets accidentally deleted/merge conflict (coming from offline connecting to online)

c) missing functionalities

if c) then --> which are the minimum features you require to use the beta version?

as a side note, we have had over 800 sessions with the current beta apps (android and iOS), and not a single app crash so far!

Looking forward to your feedback!

Kind regards,
Hasnain

A plus B.
SnowLeopard

Losing ANY data would prevent me from trying the beta.
Regarding minimum functionalities, I need: view/create tasks, the hotlist, saved searches, adding a star to newly added tasks.
Steve

Posted by hasnain_2:
The current workaround for members not wanting to use the beta mobile app would be to use the mobile browser.

The "workaround" for members who don't want to use the beta app is ... not to use any app? Where's the production version?
-JOD-

Posted: Apr 17, 2022
It is still out there but does not work for some people, thanks to latest updates to OS. Don't expect to get that fixed. Besides, the beta seems to work quite well, it's just it is a beta and bugs should be expected.

Posted by Steve:

The "workaround" for members who don't want to use the beta app is ... not to use any app? Where's the production version?
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.