ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Folke X"
Folke X

Posted Aug 07, 2011 in: quick search too far to the right?
Score: 0
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Aug 07, 2011
  • Score: 0
I must be blind. I have a 1920 screen, but I cannot see a "Quick Search" box anywhere. Where is it?
Folke X

• Folke X
@Salgud:

I too like the new UI very much. It is very good indeed. The "sea" is a remnant from the old UI.

The 'sea of "None" "No context" "No Date" ' (which tends to obscure the view of more relevant facts on the screen) appears in Grid mode when you have fields enabled that you only fill out for some tasks, but not for all. For example, if you do not have due dates for everything, or if you choose to leave the context field empty for all tasks that are for the "standard context" (saves key entry time, too!), or if you set Goals only for those tasks that you feel need to be looked at together (e.g small projects), etc.

I suffered from this "sea" to the extent that I brought it up with Toodledo, and they very kindly and constructively advised me of a very simple way to fix it - anybody can do it - see this thread (last few posts):

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/11516/0/discreet-at-a-glance-visualization.html

Maybe this fix ought to be made available to everybody as a simple checkbox under Settings? I imagine that would be an easy thing to implement, and maybe worth the effort for Toodledo if many users are bothered by the "sea" - but maybe we are just a few ...

This message was edited Aug 07, 2011.
Folke X

Posted Aug 07, 2011 in: Calendar Times
  • Folke X
Here are the results:

Task 1: Start 2 pm, Due 4 pm
shows in GCal as an event 2 pm - 4 pm

Task 2: Due 2 pm, Length 2 hrs
shows in GCal as an event 12 pm - 2 pm

Task 3: Start 2 pm, Length 2 hrs
shows in GCal as an event 2 pm - 4 pm

For the tasks using due date/time I used the default setting "due by" (there are three other optional settings available)

I also have some tasks of my own that are encoded as due at 11 pm (nothing else; no start; no length). These show in GCal as events 11 pm - 11 pm in the numerical event info, but as a half hour block in the visual "day" diagram.

This message was edited Aug 07, 2011.
Folke X

• Folke X
  • Posted: Aug 06, 2011
Hierarchical - yes, I can see the potential in having THAT :)
Folke X

• Folke X
Just curious, how come no one seems interested in using a bunch of entirely separate fields (instead of a composite tag field)?
Folke X

Posted Aug 06, 2011 in: Calendar Times
  • Folke X
I have reactivated Start and length and have set up three test tasks:
start+due
start+length
due+length
Will let you know probably tomorrow what happened.
Folke X

Posted Aug 05, 2011 in: Calendar Times
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Aug 05, 2011
@goodyear.doug

While you're waiting for an answer from the people who know:

I suppose he means that:

- the instantaneous two-way sync that you are referring to is a roadmap item for Toodledo

- the once-per-day-or-so one-way sync is in place and should be working
Folke X

• Folke X
Currently, just like you, I also use only one tag per task - they are mutually exclusive, but:

Over the years, in different systems, I have experimented with many different setups for tags, with multiple kinds of tags. I know many others use such multi-tagging, and I cannot exclude the possibility that I might need more tags again one day. Therefore, I would advise against implementing tags as a single-value dropdown.

In my opinion, the tag field is a flexible "spare" field for throwing in all kinds of categorizations that you have no other room for. Potentially it can be many more things than just one that you have no other fields available for, so it is nice to keep the multi-tagging door open, just in case.

But the downside of using more than one tag in the tag field is the list is slower to read (or just to notice particular items in) than when each type of item has its own fixed column. Therefore, it might be an interesting alternative idea to have a bunch of additional spare single-value fields available - fields that the user could enable/disable as needed just like the fields we already have. Thsese could be called Tag1, Tag2, Tag3 etc, or whatever. Those who prefer single-value dropdown and fixed column positions then could disperse their tags across those additional fields.

This message was edited Aug 05, 2011.
Folke X

Posted Aug 05, 2011 in: Priority interpreted as Value
  • Folke X
Before using Toodledo, I had grown accustomed to using Priority and Due date as the main two settings for a task. Due date is pretty obvious, at least for tasks that have a natural due date. Priority then becomes the main means to order dateless tasks in some kind of sequence (pipeline).

One thing I always wished I had in those days was a means to preprocess the pipeline by once and for all being able to declare some rough "value" (say on a scale 1-4) of doing the task - so that I would not need to remember or reassess it everytime I went through my list and read the task names.

(Of course I tried the common cheat to "abuse" the Priority field by letting is represent both the timing factor AND the value - but of course this got messy, so I adopted a strict timing interpretation for Priority, and left the value aspect for the future. But now the future seems to have arrived.)

Toodledo has many more data fields than most other systems. Amongst others I discovered it has a field called Status, which immediately seemed to me to be directly timing-oriented. It had values such as "Next Action", "Hold" etc, which intuitively felt more relevant for pipelining purposes than do priority numbers. I got the distinct impression it was actually intended for sequencing purposes. So I started using Due date and Status as my two main fields.

Then what happened to my Priority?

Priority became the value indicator I had always wished I had. And just as intended, I have started to us it in a "timeless" manner like this, which seems to work well for me:

3 Top - Makes a world of difference; totally different scenarios

2 High - Significant consequences; a lot to win or lose; time, money, credibility, prestige, relationships, ...

1 Medium - Noticeable consequences, but not critical

0 Low - I would barely notice the difference myself unless I knew it had been done

-1 Negative (Using this for unrelated filtering purposes)

One of the beauties of having a separate value indicator like this is it becomes "timeless", and needs little or no adjustments during all the time I have it on my list. A small thing remains small even if I decide to do it first thing in the morning. And a critical thing is and normallly will remain to be critical even if I will not start doing it until next year.
Folke X

Posted Aug 05, 2011 in: Priority dividers gone?
  • Folke X
By default, you get the "Importance" sort order (and Importance level dividers) when you choose the "Main" view, and "Priority" sort order and dividers when you choose the "Priority" view.

Priority is one of the many data fields you can set for each task, along with many others, such as Star, Due date and many others.

Importance, on the other hand, is a calculated compound of several such field values as follows (copied from the Help section):

The formula for importance is : Importance = 2+P+S+D
P=priority
S=is it starred (0 or 1)
D=0 if due-date is non-existent or further than 14 days out, 1 if due-date is between 7 and 14 days out, 2 if due-date is between 2 and 7 days out, 3 if due-date is tomorrow, 5 if due-date is today, and 6 if overdue
Folke X

• Folke X
I have bookmarked the actual page I want to go to. I never need to log in. That's good.
Folke X

Posted Aug 05, 2011 in: Calendar Times
  • Folke X
Maybe you just haven't waited long enough. Google Calendar fetches the data only once a day or so.
(I did it like that earlier.)
Folke X

Posted Aug 04, 2011 in: Discreet at-a-glance visualization
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Aug 04, 2011
Thanks for telling. I have now implemented the adjustment. I certainly would not want to miss any other text :)

I am really happy with my new clean display. Thanks again for the advice!

(Have you tried it yourself? Take a look! It is perfect!)
Folke X

• Folke X
Very, very impressive:

- the new UI itself
- the patient and constructive ongoing response to issues raised in the forum
- the new updates to the UI

Congratulations! You guys deserve respect!
Folke X

Posted Aug 04, 2011 in: searching for items due "today"
  • Folke X
@gjblair:

I think Salguds' solution is the best so far.

I guess you and I both made the same mistake: When I first created my saved search I had not yet understood that certain key words such as "tomorrow" are allowed in the date search field.
Folke X

Posted Aug 04, 2011 in: Discreet at-a-glance visualization
  • Folke X
Just want to thank you again for pointing me in the right direction, and also to let you know that I finally actually did it! And it worked!

I braced myself (this is not my own backyard) and googled for "firefox styelysheet", and found out how to do it. Actually it was easy. I downloaded this Stylish thing that I also have heard mention of here in the forum, and with that I did a Write New Style, and just put that one single line into it that you specified. The instruction said to add !important after it, so now it looks like:

.dim{color:white !important}

Wonderful! Now I can see much faster if any of the tasks on the page have any "deviations". Great for me! Saves a little bit of time each time. A great tool became even better. Thanks again for sharing this piece of knowledge with me.
Folke X

Posted Aug 03, 2011 in: Discreet at-a-glance visualization
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Aug 03, 2011
OK, I made a note of that in the Someday section ... ;)

(I'm a bit scared of all kinds of plugins and other home-made stuff, and I'm not a computer wiz, so we'll see ..., but thanks anyway. Maybe I will be able to use it :)

I hope I am not creating any hard feelings with my suggestions. I think Toodledo is great. It is the best task system I have ever found, and I have tried many. That is the simple reason why I am using it.

With my suggestions I am only trying to make it even better - for myself, of course, but hopefully also for many others, in order for the system to be able to continue to exist and thrive. But it is not easy to know what all other users - existing and potential ones - would consider to be an improvement. It could be that I am just an odd minority, I do not know for sure...

As regards the issue with white texts I can only say that for me, personally, it would be pretty obvious that I can click on any "cell" in the table; and even more obvious when the cursor takes the familiar shape of a hand (which it does automatically whenever it hovers over a link). To make it even more obvious that the invisible link is clickable it would be possible to actually let the "no date" text show against the background when the cursor hovers over the line (a feature already implemented - that is another nice touch, by the way).

But I will drop this issue now. I noted with great pleasure that you said in response to my first post that visualization details are on your list. Let us leave it at that for now.
Folke X

Posted Aug 03, 2011 in: Super slow task notes
  • Folke X
Yes, I know. Lets us hope we find a solution one day.

Anyhow, let me tell you that I also tried with IE and Chrome today, and I did not have the problem with either of those.

Therefore, in my mind, the problem seems specific to Firefox (or my Firefox setup, however naked it is), or maybe a mismatch somehow between Firefox and the new Tasks page - it seems that no other web pages are affected.

Any other Firefox users out there? Have you noticed any lagging when editing task notes? Or when using experimental scrolling?

This message was edited Aug 03, 2011.
Folke X

Posted Aug 03, 2011 in: no due date order
  • Folke X
You could use the preprogrammed Hotlist, and make sure you check the "include Next Actions" checkbox in Settings.

Or you could save a Search which includes Next Actions and those due today (and possibly some more things, if you like).

In either case I find it good to sort the list by Status first (and Star second, if you like).

In this way you get all the important things first (Next Actions) regardless of whether they are dated or not. Other dated tasks that are due today will appear under their respective Status heading.

Folke X

Posted Aug 03, 2011 in: searching for items due "today"
  • Folke X
I have been using this search for a long time, and it works perfectly:

Due date was in the last 366 days

This covers anything due today or overdue.

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13      Next