ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Folke X"
Folke X

Score: 0
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Sep 19, 2011
  • Score: 0
They are - but only under Main/Recently...
Folke X

• Folke X
It will probably be a bit messy no matter how you solve it. Here is one way:

Regard your repeating task as a kind of "reminder task" only. When it comes up you create a new non-repeating task and check off the repeating task immediately.

Later, when you have done your reading, you can add whatever comments you like, or even change the name of the non-repeating task (if you want to see the page numbers without opening the notes field).
Folke X

Posted Sep 19, 2011 in: ThinkingRock versus Toodledo
  • Folke X
Although I am not an expert on GTD - and like you, I also never read the book - I believe Toodledo supports anything you might want to implement. I think you are quite safe here.

There are many other GTD followers here, and there are probably just as many more whose personal experiences coincide a lot with David Allen's. We all seem to have found our way around here.

Good luck.
Folke X

Posted Sep 19, 2011 in: beginner
  • Folke X
Basically, Toodledo is a powerful toolkit that you can use any way you like. Nevertheless, there are some things you may find useful to read.

Are you an "allocator" or a "queuer"? In other words, do you think you will be trying to create a time schedule for yourself, putting things into time slots? Many people here are (perhaps even the majority), but I have not seen any tutorials.

Or will you rather be trying to keep on top of your situation by constantly reviewing your tasks and deciding which ones need your attention next? In that case, there is more to read:

http://www.toodledo.com/info/gtd.php (help section about GTD)
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/5/2660/0/proximos-gtd-setup.html (another user's system)
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/5/12258/0/simple-system-x.html (my system)
Folke X

Posted Sep 18, 2011 in: Separate color for Today
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Sep 18, 2011
Minor thing, but:

It would be easier to see today's tasks if Today had a different color than Tomorrow in the due date column.

The best would be if it had a color of its very own, but if it has to share a color with something else, I would prefer it to share with Overdue rather than with Tomorrow, because both Today and Overdue mean "do immediately" whereas Tomorrow is just an early warning.
Folke X

Posted Sep 18, 2011 in: Sharing Improvements
Score: -1
  • Folke X
  • Score: -1
Excellent suggestion, JCarl!

Toodledo has previously advised that the Questions forum is a good place to post feature requests, bug reports etc.
Folke X

Posted Sep 18, 2011 in: Default Inbox for Emails?
  • Folke X
I thought this capability was there already - under New Task Defaults in Settings
Folke X

Posted Sep 17, 2011 in: Questions re repeating tasks
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Sep 17, 2011
Oh, I see. Well, as you say, we all have to find what suits us personally. I was just wondering about this, because I have seen this so often without really understanding or bothering to ask, but now I have at least a good clue :)
Folke X

Posted Sep 17, 2011 in: Questions re repeating tasks
  • Folke X
Just out of curiosity:

I often read things in the forum about postponement and checking things off or deleting , and I always wonder why so many are so fussy about this. For example:

- Why postpone? Why not simply leave as overdue? In that way you can see better how long is has really taken.

- Why delete it just because you didn't do it? Just check it off. It will then auto-repeat just the way it should.

If somebody was paying your salary based on how many deletions or completions or omissions you have made, then maybe I could understand that some proper accounting would be called for. But this is just a memory aid.
Folke X

• Folke X
Yes, as Salgud says, you certainly can define things any way you like.

As for Next Action and Active, this is how I use them:

Next action = current action; already started or must be started immediately; I believe this is also the GTD sense

Active = perfectly doable, but I have decided to treat these as "spare" or next in line, until I have finished more pf the next actions.

I also make use of the other statuses, most of them probably roughly in the way they were intended, except Postponed, which I have hijacked for an entirely different purpose.
Folke X

Score: 1
  • Folke X
  • Score: 1
What many of us do is we create our own hotlists using Search - searches that we save and reuse. This is one of the really strong features of Toodledo.

For example, in my own custom hotlist for Today, I include due before tomorrow, next action, starred active, starred planning and a few other things. You could easily tweak the search to suit your particular system.

Then you could also have other similar hotlists (saved searches), for example one with a sligtly longer horizon.

This message was edited Sep 17, 2011.
Folke X

Posted Sep 16, 2011 in: Dashboard / Multi-Search
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Sep 16, 2011
I regret if maybe the term "dashboard" was a bit misleading. Often dashboards have a particular kind of graphical layout and extremely mixed content that I was not referring to at all. I was merely referring to its "mixed selection and grouping of tasks".

The way I picture it is like this:

A TD "dashboard list" would look just like any other task list in TD. In other words, there would be tasks and there would be divider lines. That's it. Just like now. The only difference - a big difference - between a "dashboard list" and any other saved view would be:

- the divider titles are whatever names I have defined for them (not names implicitly defined by the sorting order as they are in a regular list)

- the individual tasks listed under each divider are selected by whatever search critiera I have chosen for that particular divider section of the list (not for the list as a whole)

Thus each section of the list (i.e. each divider line and the tasks under it) are totally independent of the other sections of the list but they still all appear on the same page. It is a "list of short lists" - a "dashboard list".

With this kind of dashboard list it would not be necessary to switch views as often. It would be possible to have, for example, things like "Do Today" and "If I go out" on the same page.

Also, and perhaps even more importantly, almost any normal saved search could be made cleaner and easier to read by using this kind of dashboard functionality. For example, if today you have a "do today" type hotlist - consisting of items selected by some combination of due date, status, priority and star, then almost inevitably you end up with many more sections (dividers) in the list than you have any wish to see in that view. The list is unnecessarily fragmented or "cluttered". What you would really want to see might well be something as simple as just two sections, say, "Due" (because of time) and "Other important things" (because of status, priority or star). With dashboard functionality, you could make your views as clean and uncluttered as you yourself want them.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2011.
Folke X

Posted Sep 16, 2011 in: Daily tasks
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Sep 16, 2011
mitra,

If you use a saved search (or the built-in hotlist) you could easiliy avoid this problem. In a saved search, just specify "due before tomorrow". You can also specify "repeat is none" etc to exclude repeating items.
Folke X

Posted Sep 15, 2011 in: "Notes" Feature request?
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Sep 15, 2011
There is an icon you can click ...
Folke X

Posted Sep 15, 2011 in: Toodledo Redesign - July 2011
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Sep 15, 2011
It was reintroduced perhaps a month ago. Check settings.
Folke X

Posted Sep 14, 2011 in: Why is my sort changing?
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Sep 14, 2011
While you are waiting for a proper answer from the people who really know, here is how I understand it:

The last sorting order you used is remembered automatically - but not for each individual list, but for each group of lists, i.e. for each one of the choices under VIEW BY at the top of the left sidebar, i.e there is one sorting order for Due date view, one sorting order for Folder view, one sorting order for Search view etc.

The ability to save (or auto-remember) individual sorting orders for each list is often requested, and has been confirmed to be on Toodledos to-do-list for a future release, especially as regards saved searches, which is one of the key fetaures of Toodledo.

This message was edited Sep 14, 2011.
Folke X

Posted Sep 13, 2011 in: Save combination of Search and Sort
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Sep 13, 2011
Yes, it really is a pity that Toodledo generally does not exploit the potential of its saved searches (probably the best in the industry, a hidden jewel).

Individual sorting order for each search is just one obvious thing.

Another obvious thing that is missing is easy access to the saved searches. In the iPhone and slim interface there is no such access at all. In the main web version it is hidden under the obscure name of "Search". Why not make it more visible? Call it Custom Views or something, and let the user put his own favorite ones first - both in the main version and iPhone/slim; and brag about this capability - this is marketing, too, not only user friendliness.

This message was edited Sep 14, 2011.
Folke X

Posted Sep 13, 2011 in: Hosting URL for pics?
  • Folke X
Tried to adjust the size, but the height and width attributes seem to get lost when saving the post.

This message was edited Sep 13, 2011.
Folke X

Posted Sep 13, 2011 in: Hosting URL for pics?
  • Folke X

This message was edited Sep 13, 2011.
Folke X

Posted Sep 12, 2011 in: Priority interpreted as Value
Score: -1
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Sep 12, 2011
  • Score: -1
I have now been using - and tweaking - this interpretation of Priority (as a measurement of value) for over a month, and I am getting more and more pleased with it. Very pleased indeed, mostly because it holds a useful stable assessment of how worthwhile the task is - totally independent of the urgency or scheduling aspects of it, factors which tend to be more fickle. (I use other fields for timing - Status and Due date).

I have gradually come to use a slightly wider and more ambiguous (dual) definition of Priority than described above, though:

As before (cf. first post) 3Top can mean crucial, life-changing etc, but it now also can mean "highly profitable" even on a small scale. If, for example, I could get 100 bucks by tapping a finger on a table, this would definitely also be a 3Top now, justified not by the 100 as such, but by the profitable proportion of it compared to the effort.

This means I have more 3Tops etc now, and they do have this ambiguity, but this has not disturbed me so far. On the contrary I am very happy to have finally arrived at a workable way of assessing tasks early on, and later be able to use that "unbiased" assessment when, perhaps under pressure, making decisions about if or when to actually deal with this, or postpone it etc.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13      Next