ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Folke X"
Folke X

Posted Sep 12, 2011 in: Hosting URL for pics?
Score: 0
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Sep 12, 2011
  • Score: 0
It appears to be very "sensitive", but I'll leave that one there for you to see. What I did there was I "raw" copied (via "view source") everything that I thought was needed (and then maybe a bit more, but I tried to slim it down and then it stopped working)

Anyway, the code, as it stands now, is like this - but you have to replace the square brackets with angle brackets:

[img src="http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/6291/gwhome.jpg"/]

This message was edited Sep 12, 2011.
Folke X

• Folke X
Like this?

Folke X

• Folke X
Just had to try it:

Salgud, the way I did it above was just paste the "raw" html code right in - no quotes or brackets or anything added, and no brackets removed.

Folke X

Posted Sep 12, 2011 in: Dashboard / Multi-Search
  • Folke X
Thanks, but no, this is not the same thing. I am talking about a "View" - a way to have things displayed. (I am well familiar with Multi-edit.)
Folke X

Posted Sep 12, 2011 in: Dashboard / Multi-Search
Score: 1
  • Folke X
  • Score: 1
This is something I have actually suggested before, but only indirectly from within other threads. I decided it is good enough an idea to warrant a thread of its own ;)

The single thing I would like most of all in Toodledo (on top of all the good things that are already there) is the capability to create a Dashboard or Multi-Search - I cannot decide what would be the best name for it.

A dashboard is a collection of entirely different things on the same page. One way of attaining this "dashboard" effect using "almost" only the current features would be if there was a "multi-search" - several entirely unrelated searches on the same page, each search just like today's searches, but with custom headings (dividers) between each search and custom sorting order for each search.

Personally I would love to have such a "dashboard" as my main "today" screen, where in addition to the things I need to do today, I could have a separate section underneath for "important early warnings" and a third section for "most important milestones later this year" and so on. I would probably turn most of my current saved searches into dashboards if I had this capability. (It is always useful to be able to see a bit of the "surroundings", too, not just the things you primarily need to look at, as long as it does not obscure your view.)

Folke X

Posted Sep 12, 2011 in: Automatic Sequence Enforcement
  • Folke X
Not that I want to argue with you all - I'd rather not, and if this is what you would like to have, then that is perfectly fine with me. But just in case you haven't thought about it, you can think of task dependencies as stages of progression rather than as strict dependencies.

For example, you could use the Status field for this, which is what I do: The things you need to do now are "Next Actions". The ones that are doable and will follow are "Active", and so on.

This manual promotion has some advantages having to do with the fact that it is often possible, from the individual project's point of view, to do several things in parallel, but you may not have the time, from an overall point of view, to put more than a certain amount of time into each project. By manually reviewing and promoting taks, and occasionally demoting some, you can balance your efforts between your different projects depending on your overall workload.

Folke X

Posted Sep 12, 2011 in: Why not full GTD support?
  • Folke X
I have no concerns about your suggestions, but I must confess they are nothing I have a deep need for.

Subtasks as such I do not like. I haven't even tried them here in TD, but I did use both multi-level subtasks and multi-level folders in a system called Todoist. Todoist did this quite well, but what I noticed clearly was that this way of working didn't suit me. It got too detailed (my own fault). Also, subtasks would really require a lot of parameters to get them to always get sorted and displayed automatically the way you would like them to in all the different kinds of output lists. I think no system has this functionality, but, obviously, if TD could manage to do this in a useful way then TD would be even stronger.

I now rely on "manual" "sub-tasking", using regular tasks only. I use Goals as project names, and I have a special tag for the "header" task (project description). In some saved searches I include just the header tasks, whereas in some I include only "real" tasks, depending on what the list is for.

What I also do a lot is keep it as simple as possible. I have noticed that many types of projects I can handle without explicitly writing down all the steps. Sometimes a single task can represent a whole project, and I can modify the task name for each step if I need to remember more easily where I am at the moment. And the task notes are useful for keeping all kinds of comments and checklists etc - only when I need to remember something separately I create a separate task for it.

But we are all different ...

Folke X

• Folke X
  • Posted: Sep 10, 2011
They are not available on the iPhone, but are said to be on the list of planned improvements.
Folke X

• Folke X
  • Posted: Sep 09, 2011
Even if you refresh the screen it is still there?
Folke X

Posted Sep 09, 2011 in: My TD Review
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Sep 09, 2011
Well said.
Folke X

Posted Sep 08, 2011 in: Next Action (todo) creation?
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Sep 08, 2011
Another way - what I do in that kind of situation - is I simply leave the task unchecked. I just change the description (task name) a bit and set a new due date for the next interaction. I also keep task notes that I can add to for each interaction.
Folke X

Posted Sep 07, 2011 in: Multiple Timestamped Notes for Task
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Sep 07, 2011
RTM has that. It is very handy sometimes, just as you say, but it can also get in the way, since it makes it difficult for you to gradually refine your notes by simply editing them.

If introduced, I would suggest this feature be switchable - a default setting plus a temporary override.

This message was edited Sep 07, 2011.
Folke X

Posted Sep 07, 2011 in: Toodledo Redesign - July 2011
Score: -1
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Sep 07, 2011
  • Score: -1
tania_elisha:
2) It is there: check Settings
4) It is there: check Settings

This message was edited Sep 07, 2011.
Folke X

Posted Sep 06, 2011 in: Rolling Today Function
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Sep 06, 2011
Or simply put it as a "Next Action" (a GTD term). In that case, make sure to include next actions in your hotlist. That is what i do. I normally use Status as my first sorting order, and I also include everything that is due already, so whether the tasks has a date or not, all of these items will come up on my "today" list.
Folke X

Posted Sep 06, 2011 in: Divider icons etc
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Sep 06, 2011
Here's a nice little touch that I would not mind seeing added one fine day:

A discreet little square box in different colors on each divider line, say on the left. Or some equivalent graphical means to let me see, without reading, what particular divider it is I am looking at. This would slightly speed up my visual orientation on the page.

I usually like to minimize the amount of actual reading that I have to do; if I can get away with just seeing what it is, it is more convenient. The words are still useful as a backup.

Detail: Currently, each divider line has an icon that lets you know which sorting mode you are in. That is good. Perhaps the colored square could be a background color or border for this icon. Or the colored marker could be a little vertical bar on the very left, left of the icon. I am sure there are many other possibilities, too.

This message was edited Sep 06, 2011.
Folke X

Posted Sep 05, 2011 in: Sorting by Date & then by Importance
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Sep 05, 2011
Navy blue bar (after Add, Quick add and Show). There are three sort dropdowns there.
Folke X

• Folke X
It's the 10th thing in the list - the 2nd under Tasks.
Folke X

Posted Sep 05, 2011 in: Some more search criteria ...
  • Folke X
It would be nice to be able to test for:

Goal | is of type | Long-term
etc (i.e Short-term, Lifelong, None, or "is not" of that type)

and, for all text based fields - Folder, Context, Goal etc - the same flexible options as for Task and Tag, e.g "begins with", "contains" etc. This would make it possible to take advantage of more systematic naming schemes for these fields.
Folke X

Posted Sep 05, 2011 in: Simple System X
Score: -1
  • Folke X
  • Score: -1
This is certainly not the first system described in this forum, and most likely not the last. There are more ways than one to skin a cat. This is the way I have devised for my own needs, and I share it here in case some of you are looking for ideas. It is my belief that this system corresponds very closely with David Allen's GTD, and also with similar schools of thought, such as Mark Forster's DIT and Leo Babauta's ZTD.

For the most part the system is insensitive to simplifications and casual shortcuts, but is rigidly orthodox when it comes to those few things that really make a difference to the actual workflow. Since you are already in the GTD part of the forum, you probably understand that this system is not based on any attempt to create a time slot allocation, such as a calendar or a project schedule. Instead, its purpose is to facilitate ongoing active decision making as to what to to now (Next) versus later, and to make that ongoing decision making as easy and well informed as possible.

Left Sidebar Menu:
- Search: this is where the actual workflow system resides; under the main menu follow the names of a dozen-odd multi-filtered custom views (saved searches) for now/today/inbox, quick planning/review, thorough review, projects, errands etc
- Folder: this is my entirely separate fallback structure, organized in the most classical way imaginable; under the main menu follow the names of a dozen or two "aspects of life", such as family-finance and work-admin; I will not describe this here at all, as it is not used at all used for controlling my workflow - I see it more as a safety precaution (backup system)
- Main/Recently modified: this is my change log, another safety precaution; it contains all additions, modifications and completions in time order (latest first)

Display:
- grid mode always
- many optional fields, often empty, whitened out completely when blank (using a script) so as to make tasks with "remarks" stand out more clearly
- sorted by Status, then Star and Priority; I only occasionally use any other sorting
- highlighted by Priority

Fields:
- Folder: mandatory, but not used in the workflow system itself, only for the parallel fallback structure
- Status: mandatory; primary control mechanism (see separate description below)
- Tag :P or :W: mandatory; separates tasks into work and personal
- Due date/time: optional, often blank; only for externally related timing
- Context: optional, usually blank; for errand contexts "Out" (empty-handed) or "Out, bringing"
- Priority: mandatory; the "profitability" of the task (how worthwhile it is to do it)
- Tag .Long: optional, usually blank; for screen clarity only; indicates that the single task represents a whole mini-project
- Notes: optional; used extensively; no particular "system"
- Task name: mandatory; no particular "system", but I do apply a degree of "heuristic orderliness"
- Goal: mandatory as project name, if the task is part of a project or set of coordinated tasks; not used otherwise
- Tag .Project: mandatory for project header tasks; not used for the subordinate tasks in the project
- Star: optional; has no effect on the workflow, but allows me to bring a short-term heuristic visual focus to selected items (slight reordering/highlighting)
- Fields not used: Location, Start, Length

- Next Action: To be started/continued immediately (today)
- Active: Perfectly doable, but not necessarily today, and certainly not at the expense of a "next action"
- Planning: Situation/headache, not requiring immediate action, but needing a "strategy" decision
- Delegated: Follow-up action to be taken when somebody has finished something or at least has had enough time to finish it
- Waiting: same as Delegated, but for people over whose schedule I exert little or no influence
- Hold: To be done, for sure, but premature, inappropriate or impossible to do now
- Someday: Conditional, "plan B", spare or possible tasks which may or may not ever be done
- Postponed: not used for workflow control; permanent setting for all repeating routine tasks; for screen clarity only - brings up a divider line before routine tasks
- Canceled: not used for workflow control; finished tasks that contain valuable notes or could be reused
- Reference: not used for workflow control; sheer container for notes, never meant to be an actual task

Basic Custom Views (under Search):
- Now: a consolidated work and private "do now/today" list, also including inbox and error checking; see next two sections for details
- Now/Soon: for quick reviews & rescheduling; slightly longer horizon (+ 4 weeks + Active + Planning), but minus frequent routine tasks, and minus error checking
- Pipeline Work: for a full pipelene review of all stages (not Reference, Canceled, Postponed)
- Pipeline Private: same, but for private tasks (:P tag)
- Out: errands
- Coordinated: for small projects or collections of tasks that need to carried out in a coordinated way

Selection for the "Now" view:
- anything that is a Next Action
- anything that is due today or overdue (regardless of Status)
- anything that lacks one or more mandatory fields (Folder, W/P Tag or Status) - this serves both as an inbox and as an error checking mechanism
- as a "speed up reminder" only, anything in Active or Planning that has a Star (this does not affect the workflow as such)

Output in the "Now" view:
- the list is sorted by Status, then Star, then Priority; there will be some or all of these sections (dividers) in it:
- Next action: this is where I find all tasks are that I have conciously promoted to Next action in a recent review. If some have a Star, they will appear first
- Postponed (way down): this is where I find all tasks due that repeat on a routine basis
- in between, sometimes: Active, Delegated, Waiting, Hold and Someday: any other tasks that are due for action or "status promotion" because of their due date
- also under Active and Planning: tasks with those statuses also having a Star will be visible here (as a hurry-up reminder)
- lastly: No Status: incompletely specified tasks = error = inbox (usually tasks entered via Quick add in a rush)

Projects Top-down:
- common task Goal as a project name; all tasks have this Goal;
- header task also gets .Project Tag (for filtering purposes)
- new saved search is set up (full pipeline type)

Projects Bottom-up:
- one regular task, maybe with the .Long Tag when I realize it is going to take a while; comments and checkpoints etc in the Notes field; often the task name gets modified step by step to indicate the next step
- additional tasks may become necessary when I feel I might miss it otherwise; often these tasks do not need special coordination
- when required, to facilitate focused coordination, such related tasks are brought together under a common Goal ("project" name)
- if required (more seldomly), a "full" project can be created anytime by just adding a project header task and a separate pipeline view for this project

Summary Notes
- the backbone of this system is Status, i.e. processing sequence expressed in stages; if this is compromised, the system collapses
- stars, due dates, priorities and all the other fields are mere "suggestions" made to stand out clearly so as not be be accidentally overlooked
- the whole philolosophy is based on constant, informed decions being made - not on following a schedule per se, and not on automating any decisions - just making the decisions easier and faster to make

Examples
- 1a: you are planning a jungle hike in December of next year, and are going to need a vaccine to be taken about one to two months in advance to protect you from a very dangerous disease. This will be a typical Status=Hold item (inappropriate to do now, but you will surely do it) with a Priority=3Top (very "worthwile"); and you probably put a due date of Oct 1 and some useful comments in the notes.
- 1b: October 1 arrives; the item pops up in your Now list; you now change the Status either to Next action or Active (depending on your workload etc), change the due date to Oct 31; you may also adjust your notes and task name if this will make it clearer.
- 2a: you have been invited to a so-so event that you do not know if you want to go to; you could put this down as a Status=Someday (meaning optional, maybe) with a fixed due date; when the day comes it will pop up in your Now list under the heading Someday (meaning optional, maybe). Alternatively, if you deem it more likely that you will eventually go after all, you could put it down straight away with a Status=Hold, the only difference being which heading it will appear under in the lists. In both cases the Priority=0Low (not a very worthwhile event), and the due date is fixed.
- 2b: The day comes; you either do it or don't do it (if you have not removed the item in the meantime during one of all your reviews, of course;)
- 3: a repeating quick routine item pops up (it has Status=Postponed); you just do it and check it off; no need to fiddle with the Status as long as you do not get confused; if necessary, you can start a new non-repeating task for the same thing and check off the repeating one (in order not not to mess up the routine repeat setup)
- 4: you decide to watch Spiderman first thing in the morning because you think you are worth it; put this down as a Next action, and you can even Star it (to make it appear at the very top) and/or set a due time (if it will show on live TV), but the Priority will definitely be 0Low ("not very profitable") - always be honest with yourself.

This message was edited Sep 05, 2011.
Folke X

Posted Sep 02, 2011 in: From 2 to 3 logical levels in Search
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Sep 02, 2011
About the backend you could be right - I cannot judge that. But as an amateur looking at the fact that RTM can do it without showing any degradation in the respone time, it would not seem to be too hard on the backend. But you could be right (maybe they have had to invest a lot more in servers or something).

As far as the UI is concerned I think you are probably exaggerating. This would probably be just another "fork/split icon" somewhere on the right side - or something else that is very discreet. And you could always make it a Pro feature, and/or require users to actively enable it under Settings, and/or make sure it is adequately described in the help section etc etc. There are ways.

Boolean algebra I do not know, but I fully believe you - and I even know it in my bones that you are right about this being doable with only two levels. It's just that it requires so much repetition of identical statements.

This message was edited Sep 02, 2011.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13      Next