ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by DrFrankBuck"
DrFrankBuck

Score: 0
I like the new desktop layout. One thing I notice is the new look when creating saved searches. I don't see a way to delete a saved search (as I had been able to do wit the old layout). I am sure I am overlooking something obvious.

Never mind. I see it. It's in the menu we have always using to "Batch Edit This List."

This message was edited Mar 22, 2017.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Mar 20, 2017 in: Jake-Is there a way I can contact you?
Jake,

I emailed a couple of times. I am wondering if you are getting them. I have just emailed again. The email address it's coming from is frank (at) frankbuck (dot) org.

Thanks,
Frank
DrFrankBuck

Posted Mar 07, 2017 in: Jake-Is there a way I can contact you?
The page says I have already used two tickets and would have to upgrade.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Mar 06, 2017 in: Jake-Is there a way I can contact you?
Jake, is there a phone number or email where I can contact you directly. I wanted to ask about something that would not pertain to the group as a whole. If you don't mind a phone number, you could send it in the email associated with my Toodledo account. Thanks! Frank
DrFrankBuck

Posted Nov 04, 2016 in: Saved Searches Examples
I have two additional Saved Searches. One returns tasks whose note section contains a link to a Dropbox file. The other returns tasks whose note section contains a link to a note in Evernote.

One of the ways I use Dropbox is as a place to store documents related to current projects. The "to-dos" for the project are in Toodledo with dates assigned so that I see the right tasks at the right time. In the note section will be a link to the document in Dropbox I will need in order to do that task. Sometimes I look at Dropbox and wonder why some items are there. Are they truly related to current projects, or is the related project "done" and I missed filing it away. This saved search allows me to quick match any item in Dropbox with the related task in Toodledo.

The saved search returns items which match all of the following criteria: Check off equals "no" AND Note contains "https://www.dropbox.com"

I use TaskClone. This service allows me to take notes in Evernote, and as I am taking notes, also include "to-do" items (by signifying them with a checkbox). TaskClone harvests those items that have a checkbox and automatically creates a new task in Toodledo for each one. A pair of links are automatically inserted into the note section of the task (one link opens the note in the Evernote desktop client. The other opens the link from the web (especially good when using your mobile devices). I need a search for much the same purposes as what I described with Dropbox.

This second saved search returns items which match all of the following criteria: Check off equals "no" AND Note contains ("evernote:///view/" OR Note contains "https://www.evernote.com/shard/").
DrFrankBuck

Posted Nov 04, 2016 in: Saved Searches Examples
I use safe searches together with the "batch edit" function to reschedule due dates. The way I organize my list is to give every task a due date (that signifies when I want to SEE that item again, so it's not a hard & fast date). Consequently, I may have a number of tasks at the end of the day which would become past due.

1. PAST DUE Returns items which match all of the following criteria: 1) Checked off equals "no" AND 2) Repeat is "none" AND Due date is before "today." I run this search if I am doing my planning in the morning and want to take items which were on the list for yesterday and move them forward to today, or perhaps move them forward several days if today is already pretty full. After running the search, I click the "Batch edit this list" and select a new due date.

2. TODAY'S TASKS Returns items which match all of the following criteria: 1) Checked off equals "no" AND 2) Repeat is "none" AND Due date is "today." I run this search if I am doing my planning in the evening and want to take items which were on the list for today but did not get done and move them to another day. Just as in #1, I use the batch edit function.

3. TOMORROW Returns items which match all of the following criteria: 1) Checked off equals "no" AND 2) Repeat is "none" AND Due date is "tomorrow" AND (Priority is "Negative" OR Priority is "Low" or Priority is "Medium). As am I planning tomorrow, if I see that I scheduled too much for that day, this search lets me take all tasks that are not "Top" or "High" and use the batch edit to move them to another day.

You will notice all of these searches ignore repeating tasks. I don't want the schedule for those repeating tasks being thrown off. Consequently, what I find each day at the very top of the list are overdue repeating tasks. Generally, these tasks are never urgent but they are important in terms of routine maintenance and keeping life humming along smoothly. These would be the tasks I might otherwise continue to push forward because they are not urgent. Some people may like this idea. Others may not.

I use at least one of these saved searches every single day. I think it's one of the things that makes Toodledo superior to competitors. Any person whose system (paper or digital) relies on due dates needs a mechanism to move due dates forward in bulk. With Toodledo, you have it.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Oct 04, 2016 in: Problems with m.tooodledo.com
Clearing the cache solved the problem. Thanks, Jake.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Oct 03, 2016 in: Problems with m.tooodledo.com
I use igHome as my start page and have a Toodledo gadget on the top row. In addition to having Toodledo running in a tab all its own all day, being able to see the first five or so tasks on the start page, together with my calendar, weather forecast, etc., makes for a nice overview of the day.

The start page uses m.toodledo.com. Lately, I have noticed not all tasks are appearing in the gadget. In the last several days, only a dozen or so very recently-added tasks appear.

When going to http://m.toodledo.com, I am seeing the same thing.

Is there a known issue with m.ttodledo.com?
DrFrankBuck

Posted Sep 30, 2016 in: Receive email of completed tasks today
Score: 2
I also use IFTTT. My recipe is written so that if a task is completed in Toodledo, then it appears as a new line on a Google spreadsheet.

When the spreadsheet reaches a certain length (I think it's 2,000 lines), a new spreadsheet is created. The creation of the spreadsheet, new spreadsheet when one reaches the limit, and a folder for all of those spreadsheets to go into happens automatically.

The spreadsheet does contain the note section of the task, dates, etc.

To me, this would be better than having your completed tasks emailed to you. You can search, sort, and filter a spreadsheet much more efficiently than you can do any of that with old emails.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Sep 13, 2016 in: Improved IFTTT integration for Toodledo
Score: 1
I wish the IFTTT recipes included "Due Date" as a possible ingredient. One example would be wanting to add a date to my Google Calendar and have that entry appear as a task with a due task that corresponds to the date of the event.
DrFrankBuck

I created IFTTT Recipe ID 41499075 to help me keep a record of completed tasks.
When I complete a task in Toodledo, it records the task, notes, and completion date/time in a GoogleSheet.
The spreadsheet allows me to keep a record of tasks that never expires and can be searched/filtered like any other spreadsheet.
DrFrankBuck

Posted by Dave:
I noticed that one of the new recipes is to create a task when you star a gmail message. Does this put a link to the gmail message in the notes area of the task or does it put the body of the email in the notes area? Thanks

Dave,

If you have not already found your answer, by default, Toodledo will include the body of the email. To me, that's a good thing. I actually did not see a way to include the link to the Gmail message.

I still like to forward Gmails to the special Toodledo email address instead. I often edit the subject line of the message to better reflect what need to do when it winds up on Toodledo. Many times, I add a # and date or exclamation points in the subject line to specify a due date or priority. Many times, I will add additional information in the body of the Gmail (or delete non-essential) information before sending to Toodledo. Using the Star in Gmail recipe would not allow any of these options.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Jun 12, 2016 in: Duplicate tasks on Reminders Syncing
Has this issue been resolved? I had been experiencing the issue on my Android, but an update cured the issue.What about on the iOS side?
DrFrankBuck

Posted May 19, 2016 in: Toodledo Roadmap Update
Score: 3
Jake,

Thanks for the hard work. You really have made some great improvements.

One of the suggestions Duo had caught my eye..."Timestamp functionality in task notes." For those who use Chrome as the browser, there is a great, free text expander called Auto Text Expander for Google Chrome. I have a "shortcut" programmed that stamps the date and another that date and time stamps.

I do find I use those quite a bit. So, even if the functionality is not built into Toodledo specifically, it's there as a browser extension.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Mar 23, 2016 in: List is too long
Saigud, I have also been using a digital task list for quite a while (2001). Due dates have worked well for me regardless of the device or the software. For me, the due date answers the question "When do I want to see this task again?" I wouldn't call it a "fake due date." I call it planning. Due dates are also essential to handle repeating tasks easily.

My approach has proven easy to teach and works with nearly all applications. Experienced Toodledo users understand saved searches. People who are new to digital task management may not. I don't want people's eyes to glaze over right out of the box.

Regardless of the method we use, we have got to have some idea of how much we can accomplish in a day and how best to line up tasks (regardless of how urgent) so that we can use time efficiently. If we find ourselves updating "fake due dates, often the same ones over and over" it indicates that we either miscalculate how long tasks are going to take or interruptions are derailing our plans.

Secondly, any system is going to require that you look at your stuff and decide what to do and what to defer. Yours happens once a week. Mine is more of a daily adjustment that requires no checklist.

One reason I like Toodledo is because of its simplicity. Dues dates cause what I want to plan to accomplish today to appear together. The simple search allows me the flexibility I need. When Bob calls unexpectedly, a simple search for "Bob" gives me every task involving him regardless of due date. People understand it quickly. Like everything else, users will come up with their own nuances. But if the system seems complex from the get-go, they never get past that point.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Mar 21, 2016 in: Regular evening task
I have a couple of tasks like this. Try using IF This Then That.

For the "IF THIS," choose Date & Time. Check the boxes so the recipe fires every day. You will see a place to put in the time.
For the "THAT," I chose Gmail (or you can use any EMail.) The "To address" will be your Toodledo email address. In the subject line, enter the task that you want to be reminded of. Also on the same line, put >today #today !!!*

That last part is gong to assign a start date ot today and due date of today. The exclamation points make it "Top Priority" and the asterisk gives the task a star. Depending on how you have your list sorted, this may or may not be exactly what you want, but it gives you an idea.

At the desired date and time, IFTTT will fire and send the email to Gmail (of whatever email you have configured to work with IFTTT). The email will be forwarded to Toodledo and show up immediately on your list. Realize that if you are on the web version, you would have to refresh the page for any task being sent by email to show up for you.

Hope this helps.
DrFrankBuck

I had toyed with the same idea. You can do it, using your email (I use Gmail) as a go-between.

The "IF THIS" will be any new appointment in Google calendar

Here is what I did for "THAT":
The service will be Gmail (or Email)
The "To address" will be your Toodledo email.
For the Subject of the email, I put: {{Title}} {{Starts}} >{{Starts}} #{{Ends}} !!! *

The result in Toodledo was a task with the start and end date of the task. It is assigned Top Priority and given a Star so that it stands out.
If the appointment in Google calendar was an all-day event (not given a specific start and end time), the result in Toodledo was a Start Date that was correct but an end date of the following day.

I also noticed the Start Time and End Time (even though indicated in Google calendar) did not transfer to Toodledo.

Also be aware that if you schedule an appointment on Google Calendar but then change that appointment, it's not going to trigger an additional tasks or change the original task on Toodledo. That was the deal breaker for me. Using that IFTTT recipe turned out to be very short-lived,

This message was edited Mar 21, 2016.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Mar 21, 2016 in: Organizing tasks
In another thread, user was overwhelmed by the length of the list in Toodledo. The reply I offered there seems to fit well here too:

Don't worry about the list being long If you can truly identified everything, now and in the future, you need to be doing, it's going to be a long list. You did not mention how you are sorting the list. I recommend giving every task a due date. For me, the due date answers the question, "When do I want to see this task again?"

Do realistic with your estimation of how much you can accomplish in a day. Space your tasks out, giving some a due date of today, others tomorrow, etc. As for the tasks that are really not associated with a particular date but just need to be done sometime, create a "Master List" by assigning them a due date of the last day of the month. You always know you can scroll there and pick up some tasks you want to assign to "Today." Use the same idea to create a "Mini-Master List" of low-priority things you hope to accomplish by the end of the week. Assign a due date to this tasks of perhaps Saturday or Sunday.

To give each day some additional order, use the "Priority" field. Let "Top Priority" be those 3-5 tasks you simply must accomplish or would give you the highest payoff. Let "High Priority" be the items you want to accomplish during the morning, "Medium Priority" be those you want to accomplish in the afternoon, and "Low Priority" be the ones you want to accomplish in the evening. To set up your list like this, you would sort by Due Date and have a secondary sort on Priority.

You will have tasks that you assign to a certain day but do not accomplish. They will be sitting at the top of the list the next day. You can change the due date or simply star the day by working from "yesterday's" list,

You mentioned regular recurring items, Be sure to use the repeating tasks function for them. Assign them a Start Date, Due date, and choose how often the task repeats (daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, etc.).

Notice that I have not mentioned anything about contexts or folders. I don't use them. What I have described is going to simulate your paper planner (with a list of tasks planned for each day).

The quick search (magnifying glass) is important for me. If a task involves making a phone call, just be sure to put the word "call: somewhere in the task ("Call Bob," for example). If you just feel like making a bunch of phone calls, searching the list for "Call" is going to give you every phone call you need to make. If Bob comes walking through the door unexpectedly, searching the list for "Bob" is going to give you every task that involves Bob.

What I have outlined is by no means the only way to do it, but I think it's one that is simple and effective.Everything you have planned to do, either now or in the future, will be on one list with the items planned for today at the top.

Don't regret the long list, It's a sign that you have many interests and plans, and that you have put the tasks all in one place. Please keep us updated on how things work for you.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Mar 21, 2016 in: List is too long
Don't worry about the list being long If you can truly identified everything, now and in the future, you need to be doing, it's going to be a long list. You did not mention how you are sorting the list. I recommend giving every task a due date. For me, the due date answers the question, "When do I want to see this task again?"

Do realistic with your estimation of how much you can accomplish in a day. Space your tasks out, giving some a due date of today, others tomorrow, etc. As for the tasks that are really not associated with a particular date but just need to be done sometime, create a "Master List" by assigning them a due date of the last day of the month. You always know you can scroll there and pick up some tasks you want to assign to "Today." Use the same idea to create a "Mini-Master List" of low-priority things you hope to accomplish by the end of the week. Assign a due date to this tasks of perhaps Saturday or Sunday.

To give each day some additional order, use the "Priority" field. Let "Top Priority" be those 3-5 tasks you simply must accomplish or would give you the highest payoff. Let "High Priority" be the items you want to accomplish during the morning, "Medium Priority" be those you want to accomplish in the afternoon, and "Low Priority" be the ones you want to accomplish in the evening. To set up your list like this, you would sort by Due Date and have a secondary sort on Priority.

You will have tasks that you assign to a certain day but do not accomplish. They will be sitting at the top of the list the next day. You can change the due date or simply star the day by working from "yesterday's" list,

You mentioned regular recurring items, Be sure to use the repeating tasks function for them. Assign them a Start Date, Due date, and choose how often the task repeats (daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, etc.).

Notice that I have not mentioned anything about contexts or folders. I don't use them. What I have described is going to simulate your paper planner (with a list of tasks planned for each day).

The quick search (magnifying glass) is important for me. If a task involves making a phone call, just be sure to put the word "call: somewhere in the task ("Call Bob," for example). If you just feel like making a bunch of phone calls, searching the list for "Call" is going to give you every phone call you need to make. If Bob comes walking through the door unexpectedly, searching the list for "Bob" is going to give you every task that involves Bob.

What I have outlined is by no means the only way to do it, but I think it's one that is simple and effective.Everything you have planned to do, either now or in the future, will be on one list with the items planned for today at the top.

Don't regret the long list, It's a sign that you have many interests and plans, and that you have put the tasks all in one place. Please keep us updated on how things work for you.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Mar 19, 2016 in: Google Now Duplicating Tasks
Posted by Jake:
We have fixed this bug in our development version and are nearly ready to being beta testing this for release.

Thanks, Jake. This sounds great!
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9      Next