ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by TheGriff"
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 12, 2009 in: Have you used Life Balance?
Score: 0
I never did like the idea of a program deciding what it thinks is my appropriate next action. I did trial it a couple of times and never "got it".

That said I do like the idea of nested contexts and actually use them via search in TD. I have custom searches setup for my "mega" contexts so I can quickly see groups of contexts.

Unfortunately the iPhone app does not support searches. I've requested either super-contexts be added OR searches be added to the iPhone.
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 12, 2009 in: iphone and filtering via contexts
Benny...you and I share our number one iPhone feature request.
TheGriff_2

Please let me know if there's already a way to do this but I have looked and have found nothing.

Essentially I want the status drop down in the task entry "screen" to NOT be the last item on the screen. I use this drop down much more than many of the others and in fact have it as one of the first columns in my views.

I would think the task entry "screen" should follow the field sort order specified by the user but it doesn't seem to do that.

Thanks in advance!
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 12, 2009 in: iphone and filtering via contexts
You could TAG each task with the project name. Then turn on Sorting by tag and you'll at least have the project name associated with the task and they'll be in sorted order.
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 12, 2009 in: Pro Plus Subscribers
Posted by Proximo:
I am now a Pro Plus Subscriber. The upgrade was instant. I now have the paper clip to the right of my task.

Woohoo.

Glad to hear it Proximo. I doubt I'll use the online storage since I already use Amazon S3 and Dropbox but that said I'm sure I'll find a way. I'm with you. If you find a tool valuable you should find a way to support it.
TheGriff_2

Score: 1
Have to admit the others who have subscribed due to the handling of the situation inspired me. I had been a Pro subscriber but am now a Pro Plus subscriber. Not sure if I'll use the file space but you deserve the support!
TheGriff_2

Jake (Toodledo),

I think you're being too hard on yourself. Honestly, I do.

I place the problem squarely at the feet of Rack Space. Their hardware was faulty. If the switch had worked as it should have we would have experienced no downtime.

Sure, you made a mistake with the 1 second delayed flush. Sure, it corrupted the database. Point is you should not have experienced the server going down in the first place!

I now question why Rack Space doesn't first have all servers connected to a UPS. A UPS is essential to carrying the server between power-fail and when the generator kicks in. ESSENTIAL!

Just be thankful you aren't the HP technician that swapped two fiber cables on the RAID for an Exchange server I used to administer. That was a 24 hour long rebuild process.

Now add a task to your Toodledo list to stop stressing. Star it and make it priority one.
TheGriff_2

Glad to hear you are back. I'm thinking Rackspace owes you some money though. ;-)

Also one suggestion. Would have been nice to have time stamps on your updates. Let's us know where things are at and when.
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 10, 2009 in: Contacts
My thought is that it would be simpler for TD folks to allow for use of Google contacts than to build their own. Not to mention, for me, administration would be lessened. Just seems a smarter not to "reinvent the wheel" as my co-worker would say.
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 10, 2009 in: How do you manage Energy Levels?
Thanks for the summary Big KC. Once again you have explained exactly what I was trying to point out in the first place.
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 10, 2009 in: Contacts
Wouldn't it be cool if the tag field (or a new field) could be linked to your Google contacts list?
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 10, 2009 in: Hold vs. Planining
I use planning to indicate a project that is in the Planning stages (i.e. the Next Action is to brainstorm ideas for the project).

Tasks within a project get the Next Action status when they are truely the next action. Tasks outside of a project get the Active status.

Tasks within a project that are not the Next Action all go on Hold so they are hidden.

I generally use stars when I get stressed due to a day with alot of items that need to get done (like before an extended business trip). I'll quickly enter all that on my mind and just star all of it so I make sure I get it done "today".

That said I could envision a system where starred tasks indicated next actions and un-starred did not. Just a thought.
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 10, 2009 in: How do you manage Energy Levels?
Posted by Proximo:
Posted by TheGriff:
Like Big KC I am managing energy levels mentally however were I to do it systemically I would use the priority column.

My read of GTD leads me to not using the priority column as all tasks are supposed to be equal. The exception is a task with a hard date.

I know this concept seems very counter-intuitive based on all of the other time management systems throughout history however it's what I've seen from reading GTD a couple of times.

I am on my second read of the original book and I will order the new book soon. I think the energy level a task requires is something very important to me because I know when my energy hits bottom.

I don't understand how to do this with Priorities as you suggest because my priorities on task have nothing to do with energy level.

Not sure if that made sense. Maybe you can clarify what you mean about using Priorities to identify the low energy task.

It does make perfect sense. What I am suggesting is to completely scrap using priorities to indicate the "importance" of the task and to use them for energy levels instead. Perhaps 1 would be very low energy and you would work your way up to the highest energy level you would envision.

GTD really considers all tasks to be equal in priority as they all have to get done. The exception to this rule are tasks that have a hard due date, such as your monthly presentation.

I realize it's a hard concept to grasp. The idea that all tasks are created equally flies in the face of what we've been taught our whole lives.

Wondering which new book you are talking about. Does he have yet another new one coming or are you talking about the one released in January?
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 05, 2009 in: How do you manage Energy Levels?
Like Big KC I am managing energy levels mentally however were I to do it systemically I would use the priority column.

My read of GTD leads me to not using the priority column as all tasks are supposed to be equal. The exception is a task with a hard date.

I know this concept seems very counter-intuitive based on all of the other time management systems throughout history however it's what I've seen from reading GTD a couple of times.
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 05, 2009 in: First Run at a Darker Theme
How would one use this theme?
TheGriff_2

In the mean time you could run a quick search for tasks due today and then use the multi-edit to set the status to next action for all items.

To speed it up you could save the search so the next day you just click the tab and do a quick modify search.

Not sure if you'd thought of this approach but I think it decent until something like you desire is put in.
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 04, 2009 in: Handling over 150 Projects
@Proximo

I'm glad I've stirred some possible improvements to your system. I figure in the end that's what we're all here to do.
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 03, 2009 in: Two big updates and 6 little ones
Not sure if this would be a popular request but I'd love to have the delete confirmation turned off if you choose to delete a task from the checkbox menu.
TheGriff_2

Posted by Linden:
I'll often use the scheduler when I have blocks of time, so if I have 30 minutes for phone calls at work, enter 30 minutes, the Work folder, and @phone context. If I'm at home and want to finish some internet research and e-mail tasks, I can use the scheduler with 2 hours, Personal folder, and @online.

WOW! I'd never even clicked the Scheduler link and really had no idea what it does. What a great feature! Thanks for pointing it out.
TheGriff_2

I tend not to like software making the decision for me. I wouldn't want to have parent's checked off automatically.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9      Next