ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Andrew A"
Andrew A

Posted Apr 10, 2010 in: Proximo's GTD Setup
Score: -1
  • Andrew A
  • Posted: Apr 10, 2010
  • Score: -1
I'd have to agree with Peter, my "view" is more of a scan of folders, priorities, statuses, due dates (with and without) and contexts as a sort of reload of pertinent next actions and standard ole one-offs and things to be tickled about. I know for a fact, that if I simply looked at a single view all the time I would start not seeing the top of the list and never really look at the bottom of it. Doesn't really take any longer than looking at a single view and trying to take it all in in one go (which also blows the whole divide and conquer approach to this sort of task management).
Andrew A

Posted Apr 10, 2010 in: Due Date Search: Today and Overdue
Score: 0
  • Andrew A
  • Score: 0
I've seen some of the old threads for due date searches (overdue tasks found by looking for tasks due within the last 100 days), but wanted to try some things out, it seems that actually typing

Due Date is Today (the text for Today) works.

Due Date is Before Today (the text for Today) works (though it also return everything WITHOUT a date)

(due date is 'Overdue' does not work)

But not when you are trying to use both to recreate the due and overdue view from the iphone app...

Just wondering if I am seeing things or if this is something that is supposed to work or if someone has some other ideas...
Andrew A

• Andrew A
How about a 'flag this' option? Then perhaps, at least weekly or something, someone can go and review and remove the trash?

It might sound odd, but well kept forums are like a well swept house--Old Friends and new guests just feel comfortable there. LOL!
Andrew A

• Andrew A
Its not a bad idea, sort of a free form field, like the subject?

Save Boss Meeting #NotAgain !! @work

Kind of thing followed by an enter button? Quick entry field?
Andrew A

Posted Apr 09, 2010 in: A tip, an issue, and a feature request
  • Andrew A
  • Posted: Apr 09, 2010
@Levi.

Yeah that has always sort of been my take on it and wondered what good a digital one was and why my "Inbox" is outside since I try to process whatever is in my real world inbox into some context or project/folder or action as I process it into toodledo.

About the only thing that ends up in "no folder" for me are forwarded emails I know I have to do something with but haven't yet read and cant read for whatever reason.
Andrew A

Posted Apr 09, 2010 in: A tip, an issue, and a feature request
  • Andrew A
  • Posted: Apr 09, 2010
A friend uses a Nexus and his third-party Toodledo app basically treats TD's "no folder" as the inbox, but I would think that is a design decision they, third party folks, made. I like having a no folder option (and if it can be renamed someday, why not), but perhaps the third-party app folks could scan for a folder called inbox (which we are all capable of creating) and not duplicate it? I mean, even if you rename no folder to inbox the same issue will crop up unless they adjust their code, no? So they have to do the work anyway. Problem Solved.

btw: I treat no folder as an inbox of sorts, though most of my "in" is outside of toodledo.
Andrew A

Posted Apr 08, 2010 in: S60 (Symbian / Nokia)
  • Andrew A
  • Posted: Apr 08, 2010
Posted by gjdewar:
I don't have a clue how to create an app for the Nokia - someone must be up for a challenge!

Me neither, and I don't have a Symbian, but considering it is a large platform, and is now officially open source, you figure someone might want to tackle it for fun!

http://www.symbian.org/
Andrew A

Posted Apr 08, 2010 in: Deferred tasks in booklet
  • Andrew A
That would be a nice feature to add. It would make it more useful (especially, for the run around town lists and items)
Andrew A

Posted Apr 08, 2010 in: Parent / Subtask Dating
  • Andrew A
As an option perhaps, I would argue against that as a default behavior. I use both parent tasks and folders for projects, and I think in that case, the parent task's due date is the final one, not the next one.

That said, I have no issues losing tasks. I collapse the details and show indented tasks. So for me, not an issue (though everyone uses the product differently, that much is for sure).
Andrew A

Posted Apr 05, 2010 in: Problem with long/recurring tasks
  • Andrew A
  • Posted: Apr 05, 2010
I see it as part of the need to 1) fool ourselves into having fun and 2) finding a way that works for us.

I use a Goal to finish a book I Must read right now (so I can leverage chaining and see some progress), so since I am using my kindle, I set a percentage done task (5% increments) assigned to a "finish the dang book" goal. Every 5% and I can check off another piece (it could be 2%, doesn't matter, in the case of this book, I think it would work out to roughly 10-12 pages)

In an other area, I have four related technologies I need to work my way through, have something of a syllabus that I work off of. All four "phases" are set up as tasks within a folder (together under a single project). Each of those phases will have a series of subtasks that need to be completed. Right now still working my way through the first phase.Phases 2,3,4 have NO subtasks right now. Those details will be processed and added at the appropriate time (big believer that too much can change between here and there to actually assign tasks so it would be a waste of time unless I was very very sure how it was going to play out).

Both methods work for me. Both, I believe embrace the GTD spirit of time, energy, context, priority, are atomic enough that I can get a checkbox done here and there without too much effort/time. Neither have due dates (IIRC) but both show progress and provide gentle nudging guilt.

This message was edited Apr 05, 2010.
Andrew A

• Andrew A
  • Posted: Apr 02, 2010
I'm new here as well, and wondered about the same thing until I realized that some of them where hidden, either because of negative priority, or future due date, or a nested view, etc. It was my settings and user error on my part.

Part of it may be filter settings and other parts (like hide future tasks) in the settings section
Andrew A

Posted Mar 31, 2010 in: Charting Enhancements?
  • Andrew A
  • Posted: Mar 31, 2010
I see there have been several requests for charting enhancements over time, just by two cent push to add any of them to the never-ending list of things people want to see ;)

There are plenty of suggestions (um, but how about a completion/addition bar chart that lists an all folders aggregate option, and a context completion/addition bar chart?).

I leave it to you, but any enhancements would be appreciated, as visual feedback and of course, additional eye-candy.

Andrew
Andrew A

Posted Mar 31, 2010 in: what do you all do for timetracking
  • Andrew A
  • Posted: Mar 31, 2010
Might I suggest something silly, since you are @computer and that you just want to time track and collate a time for a specific master category or project (and it sounds more like for curiosity sake). Excel works great. If you have Office, it is something you already have and is effectively (now) free.

For me, sometimes, I get stuck on wanting to use a specific tool, when a tool I already have already does the work sufficiently.

There is even a timecard template you might be able to leverage:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA011133131033.aspx
Andrew A

Posted Mar 26, 2010 in: Alert for Completed Task? Huh?
  • Andrew A
  • Posted: Mar 26, 2010
Wondered the same thing (if it was pre-synch), but pretty sure it was the other way around (on the web site).... could be any number of things I suppose, so I reported it just in case! LOL!. Cant reproduce it, so I suppose we are OK. Thanks.
Andrew A

Posted Mar 25, 2010 in: "Completed" tasks that aren't complete
  • Andrew A
  • Posted: Mar 25, 2010
A "Due After" future task seems like the right approach to part of your question
https://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=77

I suppose you could set it far enough in the future that you wouldn't have to go in and rework the date too frequently. But wouldn't this be better stored in like a tickler folder in case some of the notes or ideas become relevant at some point in the near future (though this is more appropriate to a reference folder I would think, but hesitate to suggest how your mind would translate that into Toodledo. For my part, reference is an external source of data to Toodledo, still a fan of paper and Evernote).

Full disclosure: new to GTD, enjoyed the book, Like Toodledo's flexibility.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2010.
Andrew A

Posted Mar 25, 2010 in: Alert for Completed Task? Huh?
  • Andrew A
Odd.. maybe its a one off, but I just got an Alert for a task due by today's date at 12pm, alter me 1 hour before, medium priority, context assigned (no folder), that was marked completed last night (and according to the search I just did, still marked completed). (not set to repeat but there are similarly named tasks, one completed and one due after a future date (like April 10 or 11).

Just a comment for now in case it was something odd, or a beginning thread if others see the same behavior.
Andrew A

Posted Mar 25, 2010 in: Ipod Touch sync login/password rejected
  • Andrew A
Posted by Ian.Frakes:
Need to upgrade to pro?

No. I did the same before upgrading. Iphone & Toodledo with free.

I would verify what Claudio said and then make sure that you typed the userid and password correctly (with the iphone you can sometimes mistype or forget to use uppercase where it is called for).
Andrew A

• Andrew A
  • Posted: Mar 19, 2010
A newbie here, but yeah, I know some tasks and subtasks will inherit things like Folder (but not context), but this one seems like a no brainer... by default would not most tasks associated with a goal go towards that goal? Having to unset that goal from a task would be the rarity.. right now its the other way around...
Andrew A

• Andrew A
  • Posted: Mar 17, 2010
Yeah, I'm with you there. Not sure TD has its own manual outside of the help section. There is a lot of info on the web to refresh your memory, and in these very same forums about such conversations. I new here as well, but letting my use of the product and my mindset evolve (like I started out with contexts for home and work and a folder called shopping since I wanted to separate tasks that were for work or home and I buy a load of stuff for both the house and the office. My shopping is a never ending project, but the contexts let me sort by, well, context).

I also use folders for calls and email (which are also never ending projects in my life).

And from there I am slowly expanding (rather than going all out). Too much detail and I would not get anything done. However, that said, it depends I guess on you. There are people out there with both simpler and more complex systems--neither of which I am sure would work for me.

Andrew

This message was edited Mar 17, 2010.
Andrew A

• Andrew A
  • Posted: Mar 17, 2010
LOL. Yeah, I'm currently assigning them negative priority and hiding them via filter (obscurity here). But it would be nice to find some help from my own negligence.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10      Next