Search results for "Posted by AA"
AA

Posted Sep 06, 2019 in: Toodledo Update August 2019
Score: 0
  • AA
  • Posted: Sep 06, 2019
  • Score: 0
Posted by Ummagumma:
Toodledo mobile app on iOS does not provide background sync. At least it didn't when I used it. So unless I use a 3rd party tool that did provide background sync capability, I would have to remember to manually sync tasks if I was on a business trip and wanted to be alerted on time.

I don't think so. I think you can set up alarms to "come from the website", so then they arrive on your mobile device without you having to sync anything manually in advance. At least it seems to work for me. (I use both Android and iOS, and I'm not sure if it works on both platforms, but it definitely works on at least one of them; I'd say iOS for sure.)
AA

Posted Sep 01, 2019 in: Toodledo Update August 2019
Score: 1
  • AA
  • Posted: Sep 01, 2019
  • Score: 1
Posted by Ummagumma:
Not having a workable modern mobile application is a huge problem.

You're exaggerating, I think. I use the Toodledo app on both Android and on iOS, and they're fine. Of course, I now only use Toodledo for tasks management and nothing else, the other sections being too buggy/unreliable.

In any case, given the current state of things, doubling or tripling subscription prices compared to Jake's era is insanity.

Guys, I knew it all along. As soon as I read the opening line of Jake's message announcing his sale of Toodledo ("Today is an exciting day for Toodledo", or something like that), I knew that was the beginning of the end. And here it is.

This message was edited Sep 01, 2019.
AA

• AA
  • Posted: Aug 30, 2019
Posted by CAVA:
Please your help. A few days ago I started to see an error when syncing habits in my Android Phone (Nexus 5X). It says "Unable to sync habits with the website". I already deleted the data and the App and reinstalled everything without success. Habits sync without issue to my account in other devices like iPad or the website.

Any help is highly appreciated to solve this issue.

There is no help for this, I'm afraid. :-(

The exact same thing happened for me when I purchased the new iPad mini 5 back in April. There has simply been no way to access Habits on that iPad – neither through the app, nor through the webpage (switching browsers to desktop mode doesn't help, either).

Simply put: the Habits are totally inaccessible to me on the new iPad. It's still true today, many months later. I'm typing this reply on that iPad mini 5.

I opened a support ticket on this back in April, the support staff recognized the issue, but they have been unable to fix the issue. That's just the way it is.

To me, of course, this meant I had to stop using Toodledo Habits. Too bad about that – I used them for years, ever since Jake first launched them.

Starting from this year, I also started experiencing regular data loss in the Lists section. So, I stopped using Toodledo Lists as well, and switched first to FlexLists, then to self-made Google Sheets.

While I was at it, I also switched Toodledo Notes first to Simplenote, then to the current combination of Dynalist and Standard Notes.

I only use Toodledo for tasks today. Tasks are still handled superbly by Toodledo, I think. At least for my needs. If Toodledo shuts down, I'll transition tasks to Remember The Milk.

As to Habits replacement, none of the apps in the app stores really satisfied me. No app seems to offer the combination of Toodledo Habits' three types of habits: yes/no, numeric, and stars.

Finally, I found the Japanese site 42goals.com. It's excellent, much better than Toodledo Habits (for example, it shows you an entire week of habits at a glance, instead of only isolated days like Toodledo Habits). However, 42goals.com is expensive – $45 per year, or something like that. And, the site looks like it might shut down any day now (expired certificates, etc.).

After 42goals.com experienced an outage that lasted a day or two, I'd had enough, and despite having purchased the annual subscription, I switched to tracking habits in self-made Google Sheets. That's a bit awkward and laborious, of course (I have to create a new habits sheet manually every month on day 1), but the self-made solution actually satisfies me more than Toodledo Habits, or 42goals.com, ever did. For example, my solution offers me a glance at the entire month of habits – not just a single day (as in Toodledo Habits) or just a single week (as in 42goals.com). You can view my habits solution here, if you'd like to take a look: http://hab.avenarius.sk
AA

Posted Aug 24, 2019 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
  • AA
  • Posted: Aug 24, 2019
I'm going for it right now, too, Larry. The exact same procedure.

What irks me is that only two weeks ago (!!!) I prolonged my Plus account for another year. Aaaargh!

But who could have foreseen this? I'm certain – no one at all in these forums.

So this is where ex-CEO Aaron's "biweekly sprints" ultimately led him! To a speedy exit from Toodledo.

I guess if Toodledo somehow survives all this, and if the "lifetime" subscription turns out to be valid, the dozens of dollars I've just thrown out the window will become tolerable, retroactively. Right now, I'm pretty ****ed off, as you might imagine.

(The last time I purchased a "lifetime" subscription from a German app maker, the "lifetime" turned out to be less than two years before everything was over. All signs are pointing to a similar fate awaiting Toodledo. Let's hope, against all odds, that it's not going to happen.)
AA

Posted May 10, 2019 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
  • AA
  • Posted: May 10, 2019
Purveyor's conclusions sound like the anti-definition of "good vibes".
AA

Posted May 10, 2019 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
  • AA
I definitely agree with the "good vibes" comment regarding RTM. You can see that it's the loved child of the original developers – something that no longer applies to Toodledo.

I just don't think Jake would have slapped his loyal customers with double the subscription price all of a sudden. What does that tell us? If such desperate measures are required (?) here, it can only tell us this may be the last-ditch attempt to save Toodledo from extinction. How can you expect "good vibes" from that?

Yes, RTM also increased their subscription price from $25 to $40 a couple of years ago. But that's not doubling the subscription price – and the resulting price is still a lot lower than Toodledo's new top tier.

The frustrating thing for me is that for 9 years, I was happy to pay the $30/year subscription price here, mainly because of "full history". Now suddenly, Toodledo have moved "full history" to the top tier at $60/year. I'm not sure I'm ready to pay that, for a single feature I need from the top tier. My current subscription is running out in August, and that may, sadly, be the end of it for me here at Toodledo.

Here is what I plan to do in August: I will approach Toodledo support and ask them if they can extend me for the original $30 price for another year, with full history. I have no idea if that can somehow be arranged or not – all I know is that I'm probably not willing to pay $60 just for full history. I'm also willing to extend my subscription for two years upfront, at $60 for both years combined, with full history included.

If they reject this request from me, I'm afraid that will necessitate my move to RTM. I will hate to do that, because it will, no doubt, cost me lots of additional hours of work, but if something needs to be done, it needs to be done.

This message was edited May 10, 2019.
AA

Posted May 10, 2019 in: Markdown support in [Note] field
Score: 1
  • AA
  • Score: 1
It's something I've been missing and requesting here for many years. For notes, I have now switched to Simplenote because of that. Still missing Markdown in notes fields for tasks.
AA

Posted May 02, 2019 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
Score: 2
  • AA
  • Posted: May 02, 2019
  • Score: 2
My Gold subscription is running out in August. I've been a happy customer for 9 years.

In August, I will ask Toodledo support if they can extend me for the original price (fat chance!). The only thing I'm missing in the new $30/year tier is unlimited history. I'm just not willing to pay double the price per year for a single feature that has always been part of the $30/year Gold plan.

So, if they reject my request, I need to leave. Really sad. Plus, I've even encountered data loss in recent weeks (in notes fields of the Lists section), and I've been unable to access the Habits section in any way on a newly purchased iPad mini 5. (Access is denied via the iOS app and via all mobile browsers, too, even in desktop mode.)

Therefore, I have now departed Toodledo in all sections except for tasks. It was a long and arduous process to find suitable replacements. If only because of this, I'm just not willing to pay $60/year for Toodledo – because I've just been forced to spend dozens of hours in search of replacements.

For Notes, I switched to Simplenote. I had an Evernote subscription a year ago or so, but found the app too clunky (especially on mobile) for my rather simple needs. However, I really need Markdown. The absence of Markdown support has been one of my pet Toodledo peeves for years. If I'm not mistaken, there's no Markdown support in Evernote, either, but there is in Simplenote. Replacement found. And it's free.

For Lists, I have moved them to FlexLists. Rather outdated design, but in some respects more advanced than Toodledo's lists. Responsive developer. Promises a big overhaul of everything in early June. Replacement found. And it's free.

I don't use Outlines. For Habits, a replacement was the most difficult to find. Most habit-tracking apps only seem to support yes/no habits and number habits, but no star habits like Toodledo does. I love star habits and no longer can be without them. I finally found the Japanese site 42goals.com that is superior to Toodledo's habits, offering practically everything that Habits do here, and more (better displayed, too). Unfortunately, the site seems to be on the verge of collapse. The developer is not responding to user queries. And while it's certainly usable for free, the premium version is very nice, but it's really expensive: $45/year. For now, I have purchased the first month for $5 via PayPal. If the site vanishes, I'll just say, "what the ****", and I'll just set up all habits as a spreadsheet in Google Sheets, tracking them manually from then on, and that's gonna be it. There are also apps like Beeminder and StickK where, I think, you need to pay real money to software developers if you fail to observe your habits... sorry that that doesn't sound enticing to me.

And now the most important thing – Tasks. As mentioned, I'm willing to stay with Toodledo for $30/year with full history. If not, I'm outta here. I have narrowed down the alternatives to Todoist, TickTick, and Remember The Milk. The clear winner so far, in my testing, has been RTM. For Todoist, among other things, there's no "import from Toodledo" option. For TickTick, it sometimes happens that after opening the webpage, it's completely blank (has happened on various computers for me). There's nothing to do – restarting the browser doesn't help, nor does clearing the cache/cookies, etc. Scary. To make it brief, RTM seems the best replacement option. It's $40/year, but that's better than $60/year. And to correct the statement from an overview earlier in this thread: perhaps the situation has changed recently, but RTM does now support not just the import of Toodledo tasks, but also the backup/export of all data in JSON format (not just iCal as previously):

https://www.rememberthemilk.com/help/answer/basics-tasks-importexport-import

I really hope I can stay with Toodledo after 9 years. But if not, RTM it is.

This message was edited May 02, 2019.
AA

Posted May 02, 2019 in: Task note erased through mobile sync
  • AA
  • Posted: May 02, 2019
I'm sorry this happened to you. I have learned the hard way, like you probably have right now, not to compose anything of substance in the notes field directly inside Toodledo, without first backing it up elsewhere. So, to make sure, I initially compose my longer notes in a plain-text file synced to Dropbox, and only then I perhaps transfer the note to Toodledo's notes field. I have learned the hard way that this "runaround" was necessary because I have lost quite a few notes over the years in ways similar to the one you are describing (upon an initially unsuccessful syncing attempt).

This message was edited May 02, 2019.
AA

• AA
  • Posted: Feb 25, 2019
Yeah, habits seem to be the most difficult part of Toodledo to replace with another app. I have 89 daily habits (well, some occur every 2 or 3 days, but Toodledo doesn't really allow to configure that properly). I use all 3 habit types – checkboxes, numbers, and stars. Each type is essential. No matter what alternative habits app I looked at (iOS or Android), none seemed to offer all 3 types of habits, and/or it wasn't multi-platform (which is a must for me, as I use Android, iOS and Windows simultaneously). I'd gladly pay an annual subscription for a good habits app, but there really seems to be nothing out there. At the same time, the habits treatment by Toodledo is still rather crude, so there's lots of untapped potential here. Yes, I can check off all of my 89 habits in Toodledo every day, and that's a huge help and helps me get through every day in a methodical fashion, but I get virtually no feedback/insight from Toodledo as to how I'm doing, long-term, in terms of performance in each of the 89 habits. Some elementary stats and charts are available, but they are too basic, and/or difficult to access, in order to offer helpful insight and additional motivation. Too bad!

This message was edited Feb 25, 2019.
AA

• AA
  • Posted: Feb 24, 2019
Murphy's Law frequently appears to be the rule rather than an exception, I'm afraid. I expect the same mess the next time around when they try to complete the move to the new datacenter "from 90% to 100%". Of course, it may turn out we are "only 10% moved" right now, rather than 90% – Murphy's Law at its finest. You never know exactly how far you are in completing a task until you actually try and complete the job.

I'm also in (Central) Europe, but I do work every day and throughout the night, too. On Saturday morning 2 a.m., I was kicked off Toodledo and could no longer complete my (overdue) Friday tasks. If the outage had only been 1 hour as announced, that would be OK. But it took 7 or 8 hours, and when the site came back up initially, it lacked all updates from the last 2 or 3 days. That was downright scary. Everything is back to normal right now, but only because the DNS is still pointed to the old datacenter, I understand. So, the ordeal is still ahead of us.

Yes, J-O-D, as soon as Toodledo announced they'd be doubling and tripling subscription prices as a thank-you to loyal subscribers, for no obvious reason (no groundbreaking new features have been added – on the contrary, development freeze has been announced for all sections of the app except for tasks), I, too, contemplated ditching Toodledo immediately.

However, I still think Toodledo is the best of them all currently. I gave a test run to several Toodledo competitors, but always returned here.

Funnily enough, the thing I probably appreciate most about Toodledo is that it unites all the various features into a single package: tasks, notes, lists, and habits. Each of these 4 is very important to me. I can find no Toodledo competitor that offers all these four features in a single package, at least on the level of quality Toodledo is offering. (It may not be high quality for a feature like habits, but at least it's there.)

The irony here is, of course, that Aaron et al announced they would stop developing all the other Toodledo features except for tasks. They will pretty much focus on tasks exclusively from now on, I understand. But if the only thing offered by Toodledo had been tasks management and nothing else, I'd probably already be long gone from here. I was able to find quite a few competing apps that handled tasks similarly well compared to Toodledo. But what about habits, for example? I could find no suitable habits app anywhere – not even a standalone habits app, and I searched through both Google's and Apple's app stores extensively. There seems to be no high-quality habits app – and that's a big (probably the biggest) reason why I was "forced" to return to Toodledo.

That habits are integrated with tasks and notes and lists in a single app here, is a nice bonus, though I wouldn't really mind using a separate app for each of the four features, if the need ever arises.

This message was edited Feb 24, 2019.
AA

Score: 3
  • AA
  • Posted: Feb 24, 2019
  • Score: 3
This was an utter nightmare, for the second time in a row within a couple of weeks. Instead of the promised "less than 1 hour of outage", it took 6 or 7 hours. Then, when the site came back up, it was an older version of tasks, notes, and everything – 2 or 3 days old. I got very worried I'd lost all of my data for the last 2 or 3 days. A few hours later, everything was back to normal – which I'm not sure means that the move to the new datacenter actually succeeded. We are presumably back to the old datacenter now. No news on it here in the forums, no news in Toodledo's blog, either, during the time of the outage or shortly afterwards.That's terrible communication with customers. The heads-up email by Aaron was appreciated, but eventually it did not correspond to reality, so it was of little help.

After the site supposedly came back up, there was a chaotic notification advising us to "flush our DNS". Even after flushing it, Toodledo remained inaccessible for me. For a time, temporarily, only when using VPN, I got to access Toodledo – with all updates from the last 2 or 3 days missing.

In one word: a disaster. Toodledo is doubling the prices for loyal subscribers this year, but if this is the sort of service to look forward to... If this was a one-time (well, two-time...) occurrence, it could be tolerated, but I very much fear more outages are to come. Indeed, there's now an update in the blog article saying the move to the new datacenter is "90% done" – which means, more trouble on the horizon.

Very troubling to double the prices for us and then make us go through all this. My workflow over the last couple of days has been thoroughly disrupted. I'm a paying Toodledo subscriber precisely so that my work can stay organized and can be processed smoothly at all times, without my having to fight work-unrelated software meta-issues repeatedly.
AA

Posted Oct 19, 2018 in: Future Plans
  • AA
  • Posted: Oct 19, 2018
Some good news at least for me, based on my email correspondence with Aaron, Toodledo's CEO:

https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/26237/-117615/read.html#jump
AA

• AA
  • Posted: Oct 19, 2018
Some good news at least for me: I received an email from Aaron the CEO where he confirmed to me the new "Individual" plan will fully correspond to the current "Gold" plan – that is, they will likely change it so that the "Individual" plan will include full history like the current Gold does, not just 1 year.

Aaron also confirmed they would not be canceling Habits, Lists, or Outlines – just not developing them further, focusing on improving the Tasks functionality instead. That is fine with me. Yes, Habits et al are clunky nowadays, but at least they are there. I spent a couple of hours on Wednesday trying to find a cross-platform habit-tracking app that could replace Toodledo Habits for me, but couldn't really find anything immediately usable. So I'm happy Toodledo Habits are here to stay, even though their implementation is rather crude and is unlikely to get improved in future.

So, in the end, it looks like this would "only" result in doubling the annual price for me, not tripling it. $60 per year instead of $30 per year. That's pretty steep, too, but at least it's not tripling the price anymore. Under these conditions, I'm ready to gnash my teeth and prolong my subscription next summer – we'll see. Although judging by the feedback echoed in these forums, it looks like Todoist might be a serious alternative for Toodledo, if worse comes to worst one day.

This message was edited Oct 19, 2018.
AA

Posted Oct 18, 2018 in: Future Plans
Score: 5
  • AA
  • Posted: Oct 18, 2018
  • Score: 5
Guys, you all seem to assume that the current functionality will be preserved beyond January 1st.

However, there seems to be an ominous suggestion in the communications received from Toodledo so far, as if Habits, Lists et al might not survive it beyond January 1st?

Then your argument, "Well, I still have 174 days to wait and see" will become instantly moot. I have over 300 days left in my account, but if they remove Habits and Lists come January 1st, I'm out of here immediately.

And I would request a refund – as someone mentioned earlier, if they suddenly remove current functionality from the software, this might be classified as "breach of contract". I paid my annual Gold subscription back in August to include Habits, Lists and everything else for the full year, period. Removing Habits and Lists would be completely unacceptable for me. Yes, they're secondary to tasks management, but they have become crucial parts of Toodledo for me as well.

This message was edited Oct 18, 2018.
AA

• AA
Here's the reference (in two versions after initial backlash):

https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/26237/-117107/read.html#jump

Note it doesn't mention things like Habits or Lists at all – hope this doesn't mean those features will be scrapped. If so, I'm outta here in the blink of an eye, even before my Gold plan runs out next summer. ;-)
AA

Score: 5
  • AA
  • Score: 5
Posted by Chardar Fuxus:
What a bunch of babies. Seriously $90 a year? You're complaining about that?

How conveniently Amero-centric of you. (Although your spreadsheet is very useful – thank you!) Might it interest you that I live in an EU country where most people only earn hundreds (not thousands) of dollars per month? That's a couple of hundred bucks per week. Although it might not be my issue, a price hike of dozens of dollars per year would deal a severe blow to most of my compatriots, as it would explode their budgets. It's sometimes useful to remember that there are other countries on this planet apart from the wealthy USA. ;-)

Besides, it's a matter of principle. Although I could afford the new price, I won't be paying it and will be leaving Toodledo after my Gold plan expires next summer, if I can find a half-decent alternative in the meantime, because treating your customers like this is an outrage. (And yes, I provide software services to my customers, too. I'd never in a thousand years dare to raise prices for my customers by 200% or 300% all of a sudden, and least of all those customers who've been with me for years.)

AA

• AA
Now when it comes to this sentence:

Posted by Jake:
This is an exciting time for Toodledo!

I swear I'm not making this up, but as soon as I read that opening sentence of Jake's post back in July, without having read any further, I shuddered with horror. It's exactly the type of sentence that software developers use to announce, in a somewhat unnaturally sounding, jubilant tone of voice, that they have just sold their software to someone else... who then proceeds to ruin the software and/or put it to its grave in short order. Dare I only mention the Mailbox –> Dropbox –> farewell example, or Stanza –> Amazon –> demise, and there are many others.

As I proceeded to read Jake's message from July further, it didn't seem that bad, and I was somewhat comforted. As it turns out now, though, just 3 short months later, my initial intuition was likely correct, and it appears Jake's message may have signaled the beginning of the end for Toodledo, as many users here in the forums (not just myself) react with shock at yesterday's price-hike news, announcing their departure from Toodledo, and many can already hear the death knell.

But perhaps all is not lost. You may have heard about the health brand, Withings. Its French founder sold it to Nokia a couple of years ago. Lo and behold: a couple of months ago, the news broke that the Withings founder changed his mind... and he purchased the Withings brand back from Nokia.

Erm... Jake? ;-)

(You see, having read Jake's posts here for many years, I find it impossible to imagine Jake raising the prices for his loyal customers by 200%, 300%, or whatever it is. But to purchase someone else's software, and then slap its users with a 200% or 300% price increase? Sure, no problem... there's no emotional baggage associated with that.)

AA

Score: 3
  • AA
  • Score: 3
Posted by Larry2:
The Basic is too basic (first shock was no 3rd party integration)

To be honest, it strikes me as downright unusable. No Hotlist??? I find the Hotlist to be perhaps the finest Toodledo feature. (I may be mistaken, but I haven't seen it in competitors such as Todoist, Wunderlist et al.) How are people supposed to fall in love with Toodledo if you don't even let them try out the Hotlist? I can't see myself recommending the Basic version to anyone (as opposed to the current setup – I've been enthusiastically recommending Toodledo for years).

AA

• AA
Posted by J.O.D.:
the Gold plan, to which the Individual plan is successor, IMO.

Not without "full history". That's a deal-breaker for me. I have been a Gold subscriber for years now, not merely a Silver subscriber, precisely because I need to retain my full history in Toodledo. And now they triple the price for me, and turn me into a "Business" user, just because I wish to continue using the same "Gold" features as in years past? No way.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7      Next