ForumsNewsiOS app update - 3.0.2

iOS app update - 3.0.2
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Feb 27, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
We have already improved list loading speed by about 3x and we are working on solving the iPad crash problems that a few people are having. We will also tweak a few fonts based on continued feedback. We will then send this to Apple for a (hopefully) quick approval.

We are working on this as fast as we can. Thanks for your patience and support.
kentpavelka

Score: 1 Reference
The question for those of us with IPads is should we keep uninstalling, reinstalling, fiddling around with it or should we wait till we hear there is some kind of fix? That would be extremely helpful. Not getting any solid advice. App freezing, crashing, etc.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We have not yet been able to reproduce the iPad crashing problem, so we haven't found a solution yet. We would really appreciate more data. If your iPad is crashing, please follow these directions to submit a crash report to us via a support ticket so that we can find out what is happening.

http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=80

The power of Toodledo (and it's weakness) is its configurability. With so many settings, there are too many combinations of settings for us to be able to test every combination. It must be some combination of settings that we didn't test with. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Christoph Dollis

iOS apps often crash when they run out of RAM.

I use a Cydia app that lets me free up RAM manually. I've found with some apps -- and it's not specific to Toodledo by any means -- closing other background apps and freeing up RAM will stop the recalcitrant app from crashing.

My subjective impression was that the new Toodledo app was using more RAM than the old one and that was part of why it's running slower and sometimes crashing.

Could the problem with the crashing be related to that?

I.e., the old app would run even with lots of other apps open in the background, but the new app crashes in circumstances where the old app would have kept chugging along.

Just a thought.

This message was edited Feb 27, 2013.
Alan

I've been a fan of Toodledo for a couple of years, leaving RTM and doing my best to promote Toodled on Facebook, G+ and to friends and family. That has now come to an end.

I hate this update.

I agree with most of the negative comments posted already. No need to rehash most of it, but in my opinion, the iPad design is just plain stupid. You have a large screen to play with. And yet, Toodledo mostly squeezes itself into a smaller portion of the screen, with smaller buttons than the rest of the display, making it very difficult to not only read, but to use. It makes no sense.

Anyway, I won't go over the details that others have posted. Suffice it to say that my Toodledo account is about to expire and I will not renew. I'm considering a return to RTM. Still looking around at alternatives.

I suspect the objective of this upgrade was not to drive customers away, but it seems that this is what is happening. How unfortunate.

Christoph Dollis

From another user like yourself (I've had a ProPlus account for a couple years), I'm sorry to hear that, Alan.

I find the sorting functions of Toodledo absolutely wonderful for how I've set up my system, which is different than any other task-management system I've read about although it incorporates elements of a few. So, I'm a fan.

But I use it on iPhone not iPad, and I downgraded to version 3.0.1 of the app, so what can I say? You may well be right.

Since I personally love and depend on Toodledo and for me its strengths vastly outweigh its weaknesses, I hope for the continued success and expansion of the project. Therefore, I hope Toodledo (1) gets this upgrade right and working fast and stable with a better-than-original GUI; (2) bites the pride bullet and improves the original GUI instead, if it is in fact more popular, faster, or stabler; or (3) keeps the new GUI, but improves it along the lines you have suggested, Alan.

What about downgrading to the previous version as I have done? It would certainly be a lot easier than switching to another service and it seemed that was working out well for you (as it was and is for me).

Alan

Score: 2 Reference
Posted by Christoph Dollis:
What about downgrading to the previous version as I have done? It would certainly be a lot easier than switching to another service and it seemed that was working out well for you (as it was and is for me).

Well, that's a fair question (and suggestion). How does one go about downgrading?

Look, I didn't mean to come down hard on TD - I know I did, but I'm totally perplexed about how anyone can look at some of these improvements and consider them to be that. Areas on screens to touch are smaller and required more concentration. It's less intuitive. Actions that took a few screen clicks to get to before now take more. And for me, I just don't get how one can have the option to design something great for the iPad, with its larger screen size which has so much potential, and reduce the buttons to get through menus down to a point that they are smaller than what they were. Seriously -- if you don't have tiny fingers, you almost need a stylus to use it, just to navigate. And then you look at the screen itself and see nothing but blank space encompassing, in some cases, over what appears to be a third of the screen. I can't figure it out.

Anyway, if downgrading is easy and the previous version will continue to work then I could hang around, but it's fair to assume that within a few months, the old version will be no longer be supported, and I'll end up feeling like I've invested in TD again for no reason.

I just can't get around the silliness of some of the design elements. I see no point to it. Many others feels the same way.

boo33y

Posted: Feb 28, 2013
To quote another user in a different topic...

Posted by aether:
Very important proposal
Please provide two forks of Toodledo as separate apps available in the App Store.
This would address the huge need for the old layout which has been appraised by numerous medias as perfect example of good usability and wich also blend perfectly to the iphone usability. It is easy to understand how to interact with the app.
And also provide the new app layout as a separate app. So you can better differentiate the customer criticism and feedback coming from these two groups of "layout"people.
Why not provide a Toodledo Classic 3.0 app, and a Toodledo Advanced App?

The topic was:

https://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/16277/0/toodledo-for-ios-downgraded.html

Why'd I quote this way?

I did not update my ToodleDo iPhone app to the new update because I rely on the notebook more than tasks.
(Why should the notebook look like tasks? The tasks are awful on the app, my app starts on the notebook!)

Heck, the notebook itself helps me stay sane with depression, perfectionism, sob story etc...

The users of the iPhone app are split into 2 camps, those for the new update and those against it like I am.

I would be fine with syncing my data with the ToodleDo servers and downloading a different app called "ToodleDo Classic" and staying with my current helpful user interface.

If you want me to fork over 10$ or more for the classic UI just ask and it shall be done as long as my choice of UI stays and the other camp's choice stays.
Mike Curl

I am one of the users who complained about the 3.0 version and was very happy to revert to the previous UI through the 3.0.1 update. I promised myself that I would wait before downloading the next update until I had a chance to read the new comments and reviews.

That was a great plan, but it's not really working out very well. So far, there seems to be a wide split in the opinions being posted. Users apparently either love the 3.0.2 version or hate it with equal passion.

Is there a clean way to install the update while maintaining the ability to go back to 3.0.1? I could be happy with 3.0.1 from now on, but I don't want to reject the new version without giving it a fair test. I just want to be able to go back if that test shows that I am in the "hate it" group.
Christoph Dollis

Hi Alan,

For future reference, you can backup any iOS app as an .ipa file before upgrading using iTunes and the process mentioned by northside.mobile:
Posted by tgoins:

Inevitably an iOS update will break compatibility with the app but it is impossible to say when.

The website may stop syncing properly with 3.0.1 in the future but only Jake or a Toodle-dev can answer that (Jake?)

For now I would recommend:

1. Open iTunes
2. Go to Apps page
3. Find Toodledo
4. Right click and select option to view in explorer (Windows)
5. Copy the .ipa to your desktop or somewhere safe in case you ever accidentally update and need to revert
Now personally I don't like using iTunes for much, so I accomplish the same thing by using "iFunBox" (free program, also works as an iOS file browser and general transfer tool) or "DiskAid" (paid program that I bought first and does much the same thing). iFunBox also has "iFileExpress" in the app store, which is an iOS app that works as a file browser on your device itself -- also free.

As far as how to reinstall the app using iTunes, I'm not really sure, but with iFunBox it's just a matter of deleting your old app and installing the new one. There's a section of the program for that. You won't have any difficulty with it.

Using iFunBox, you go to the iFunbox classic tab, expand the tree for user applications, right click on it, and Backup to .ipa Package. To install a .ipa, you click on "Install App" up top but within the same tab.

Now, what to do if you haven't backed up your previous version as an .ipa file?

I can't send you one because while I'm ethically comfortable making an archival backup for my own use, it wouldn't be right to start sending out copies of Jake's app without his permission. I know most of his money is made on subscriptions and also you've already paid for it, but it's the principle of the thing --- it just isn't mine to share.

However, if you're truly dissatisfied but you were previously happy with Toodledo, maybe you can create a ticket and ask support if they can send you version 3.0.1 so you can install it and get yourself up and running again. I don't know if that's a possibility, but you could always ask support if so.

Failing that, I'm not sure.

As far as the old Toodledo app not being supported, I'm not too worried about it because my guess is it'll be quite some time off. If and when it happens, my guess is the new app will be much improved.

Those are my ten cents, Alan (since Canada just ditched the penny!). Good luck.
Christoph Dollis

Mike Curl,

I was able to do exactly what you want to do using iFunBox with no hassles, following the process I outlined in my last comment (not the one for iTunes -- that was someone else's procedure).

Your mileage may vary, but it worked for me without a snag. I was able to try out the new version (and saw some things I liked, some things that were so/so, and the performance which took the wind from my sails). I'm now using the old version until the performance issues with the new version are ironed out.

This message was edited Feb 28, 2013.
Christoph Dollis

I like the idea of forking the Toodledo app project, but as a temporary measure, not a permanent one.

It would, long term, be a burden on Toodledo developers and support to have two versions (I think; they can correct me if I'm wrong).

However, obviously there are recognized problems with the new Toodledo app and a significant number of users are displeased. So, perhaps Toodledo could revert to the old app in its present development channel and launch the "Toodledo BETA" app also.

This would allow thorough, widespread testing (users could even install both apps on the same device), and even if customers didn't like the new app's performance, they wouldn't have any reason to complain. It could be a public relations win.

Finally, when the new app is working better from both a performance and design standpoint (the button size issues people, especially iPad owners, have mentioned, for example), and the majority of "Toodledo BETA" users are satisfied, then Toodledo could announce its intention to close down the BETA app upgrade path and to instead put that app in the "Toodledo" channel. The final upgrade in the BETA path could have a big message on it which says, "Look, it's time to uninstall this and go install the app from the regular Toodledo channel," or words to that effect.

My hope is that this suggestion makes sense for Toodledo as a stopgap measure for its own business interests. If it doesn't, please disregard.

This message was edited Feb 28, 2013.
shelbyp

just a minor bug report on subtask adding

when we are in a given folder and use the quick add subtask text box, the subtask does NOT go into the folder. Instead it has no folder assigned.

This is happening on the IPhone, I don't think this wa happening in 3.0.0, but I don't remember. I use subtasks considerably so this is bit confusing since I add the task thinking it has been added to the folder, and when I come back, I don't see the task, but find it in All Tasks.
f_murray

So, at the end of the day, still nothing resolved. My latest version that I paid for and have a Pro subscription for WILL NOT RUN on my iPad 2. At all!!! just freezes. I have done all that I was told - reboot, reinstall, close all other apps, etc but to no avail. I have no choice but to let my Pro subscription lapse and move onto another App the will work. Truly, I am fed up.
Christoph Dollis

Good God, Frank.

There are performance issues -- they know. Crashes with some iPad configurations. They're working on it.

Even if they had it all ironed out this second, Apple still needs to approve the app before it appears on the store.

I and other commenters have outlined how you can backup your old, working version of the app before upgrading in the future, just in case. You can do this for all your apps, any mission critical app, or just Toodledo.

You could try writing to support and seeing if you can get a .ipa of the previous version of the app for installing as I've mentioned. That may or may not work for whatever reason, but you could give it a shot and find out.
Christoph Dollis

Oh, and you could always use the mobile version of the Toodledo website for a few days:

http://m.toodledo.com/
f_murray

Oh, and you could always use the mobile version of the Toodledo website for a few days:

http://m.toodledo.com/

I am trying to use the mobile version - but that is not what I paid for.
f_murray

Good God, Frank.

There are performance issues -- they know. Crashes with some iPad configurations. They're working on it.

Even if they had it all ironed out this second, Apple still needs to approve the app before it appears on the store.

I and other commenters have outlined how you can backup your old, working version of the app before upgrading in the future, just in case. You can do this for all your apps, any mission critical app, or just Toodledo.

You could try writing to support and seeing if you can get a .ipa of the previous version of the app for installing as I've mentioned. That may or may not work for whatever reason, but you could give it a shot and find out.

I have asked support for a copy of the previous version - no response.

So, Chris, are you part of the Toodledo team? I have tried the various things that Support has told me, but to no avail.
northside.mobile

Posted by f_murray:
So, at the end of the day, still nothing resolved. My latest version that I paid for and have a Pro subscription for WILL NOT RUN on my iPad 2. At all!!! just freezes. I have done all that I was told - reboot, reinstall, close all other apps, etc but to no avail. I have no choice but to let my Pro subscription lapse and move onto another App the will work. Truly, I am fed up.

I'm no dev but for those who are having iPad issues:

Purge all local data (I would disable sync first as a precaution)
reboot
open app - still freezing? If so, then there is probably a deeper problem. If not, it's something about the data making it freeze.

If the sync data is making it freeze:
make sure the fields used in the app are setup exactly like you have them online in your browser. (I remember syncing years ago with some android apps where there would be issues if the fields used didn't match)

My complete procedure would be:

Disable sync (remove username and password under sync settings)
Purge all data
Close app and kill all apps from multitasking tray
Uninstall
Reboot (very important to reboot after uninstall to clear cache)
Turn off auto lock (Settings > General > Auto Lock > Never)
Re-install
Set up fields in app exactly as you have them online
Set up sync
Start sync, leave screen on and go make lunch (kill 20 minutes)

If all else fails, keep the subscription and check out "2do". Nice layout and syncs well with Toodledo.

If you have jailbreak you can check out iCleaner to clear all temp cache data. It's helped me before with crashing apps.

I have not been the most gentle in my critiques and I know that many of us are coming across as harsh and threatening because we want action but, these guys do not deserve to loose (too much) business here. The iOS app is a small part of what is still the best task management solution out there.

If you want to find another service you can click on Jake's name and go to a list of his posts; one of them is a (public, open to user edits) gdrive spreadsheet listing direct comparison to most of their competitors.
boo33y

I like the idea of forking the Toodledo app project, but as a temporary measure, not a permanent one.

It would, long term, be a burden on Toodledo developers and support to have two versions (I think; they can correct me if I'm wrong).

However, obviously there are recognized problems with the new Toodledo app and a significant number of users are displeased. So, perhaps Toodledo could revert to the old app in its present development channel and launch the "Toodledo BETA" app also.

This would allow thorough, widespread testing (users could even install both apps on the same device), and even if customers didn't like the new app's performance, they wouldn't have any reason to complain. It could be a public relations win.

Finally, when the new app is working better from both a performance and design standpoint (the button size issues people, especially iPad owners, have mentioned, for example), and the majority of "Toodledo BETA" users are satisfied, then Toodledo could announce its intention to close down the BETA app upgrade path and to instead put that app in the "Toodledo" channel. The final upgrade in the BETA path could have a big message on it which says, "Look, it's time to uninstall this and go install the app from the regular Toodledo channel," or words to that effect.

My hope is that this suggestion makes sense for Toodledo as a stopgap measure for its own business interests. If it doesn't, please disregard.

I think installing the regular (old UI) ToodleDo with a BETA app on the same iDevice would help us old-timers [old fashioned doesn't paint me as grouchy enough :P] provide better feedback.

We would also have the old app to fall back on, this can get us more used to the beta app, help us like and understand the new user interface and in the end will satisfy both sides.

(Imagine an Alpha version of an indie game, VERY unpolished while the Beta App would be far more polished but it'd accomplish the same thing in this analogy... We will get used to the new UI and the eventual removal of the old UI just as an unbalanced game feature loved by all is eventually removed by the developer)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.