ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Salgud"
Salgud

Score: 0
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jun 12, 2015
  • Score: 0
Posted by Disorganised:
Ah I see - so for your next actions, they're where you seem to place all your scheduled tasks. I notice that you make use of the hotlist feature extensively, and I think that's an idea I can take away. I'd never really bothered with it before.

I hope I was clear that I use my own Hotlist, not the one that comes with TD. This gives me a tremendous amount of flexibility to do as I described.

This message was edited Jun 12, 2015.
Salgud

Score: 1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jun 11, 2015
  • Score: 1
Hope it works for you, Dis. Be careful of the ultimate Task Manager trap, overuse of Due/Start dates. I fallen into it many times myself by putting in Due Dates just to bring them to my attention at some point, but on which the task was not really due. Big trouble. You end up endlessly changing Due Dates just like you been doing with Statuses.

Best of luck!
Salgud

Score: 2
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jun 05, 2015
  • Score: 2
Disorganized, I use most all of them and I think I use them as intended (which really doesn't matter, everyone should use the fields in any way they find helpful. Just happened this way for me with Status).

Someday - I'll get to it eventually, but not any time soon. These probably end up being deleted as often as they get moved to Active.

Planning - I use templates for repetitive project tasks, and when I create an actual work project from a template, I multi-edit over to Active along with other changes I make at that time.This is a filtering tool to keep these Templates from showing up anywhere I don't want them, which is almost everywhere else.

Active - In the batter's box. The status I give virtually all new tasks unless they are already Next Actions, and not a Template task.

Hold - I'm holding it because I'm not ready to do it yet. I put down why I'm holding it to remind me.

Waiting - for someone else to do something or get me some information I need to do it. I put down who it's waiting for and why.

Cancelled - it's been canceled, usually by a higher up, but I want a record of it in case someone comes later asking why it didnt' get done. I always know who cancelled, why and when. Eventually these get deleted.

Delegated - I've delegated to someone else.

Next Action - Often part of a project, but not always. Usually it's something I need to do asap, unless dated to a future date, in which case it needs to be done by that date, and will automatically show on my Hotlist on the Due Date, unless it has an Start Date, which will put it on my Hotlist then instead. This last is only used occasionally.

For example, I manage 3 major meetings a month, from scheduling them on all the participants GCal, to sending out the minutes and handouts afterward. So I have a template for each (each is a bit different). They all occur late in the month, so I copy a template for each and multi-edit the tasks, changing priorities (-1 to 2), Status (Planning to Active), and the folder (Templates to relevant folder for that meeting). Actually, creating this new project is the last task in the previous month's meeting project).

Now that I have this month's meeting in my active list of tasks, I start assigning Dates and Statuses where relevant. One of the first things I do is reserve a state vehicle for myself to get to the meeting, so I click that Next Action and go do it. The ones with true due dates come much later. I have to have an agenda out by a week before the meeting, so I set the Due Date appropriately, and the Start Date 3-4 days earlier. This causes the Get Agenda Task to appear ~10 days ahead of the meeting, and I send out reminders to the co-chairs that I need the agenda 7 days ahead of the meeting, giving them 3-4 days ahead of that to put one together. So I have a constant tickler in my Hotlist for those 3-4 days that I'm waiting for the agenda, and if I don't have it the day before it's due, I can send another reminder, at my discretion (These things can be very political :).

Some of these tasks have known Due Dates from the start, like bring equipment and take minutes (day of). I usually don't get around to entering these dates until the tasks immediately preceding them are in process, but could really do them anytime I choose after I've created them.

So while I do have to update Status to some degree through this process, this field is not directly controlling where the task is in the flow. Start and Due Dates do that. Status is used as a filtering device for my final daily custom Hotlist (doesn't resemble TD's very much.

Virtually all of this is done in Saved Searches, to the point where I rarely go off the Saved Searches panel for anything. Usually a task gone MIA.

This is an attempt to create a natural flow of tasks into TD, and to limit the likelihood of overlooking anything, and to minimize editing. Mostly, it does this and I feel like I'm a step ahead on all of it, which is probably still a delusion anyway! :)

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

This message was edited Jun 05, 2015.
Salgud

Score: 3
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jun 03, 2015
  • Score: 3
I think the issues of constantly changing Status are due to lack of understanding of Saved Searches. For example, I have Next Action tasks even months in advance, and frequently a month in advance. I organize and manage monthly meetings, and try to have a Next Action task for each all the time. But they have Due Dates as much as a month out, so they don't appear on my custom Hotlist because they haven't reached their Due Date yet. So I don't see them until their Due Date. No need to change status frequently, they have Next Action Status from the beginning, but don't show until their Due Date. I also incorporate Start Dates for tasks that need to start well ahead of their Due Dates.

I find the combination of Status and Due Date one of the more powerful and frequently used criteria for eliminating the problems described above. Give it a try and let me know what you think. Feel free to ask me questions if you have any.

This message was edited Jun 03, 2015.
Salgud

Posted May 26, 2015 in: TD Review at Blinklist
  • Salgud
  • Posted: May 26, 2015
IQTELL is very customizable and powerful. Build your own forms, set up all kinds of categories and activities. Unfortunately, it's custom search capabilities are rather limited (no NOT function, for example, so you can't filter for "ALL Toys but NOT wheeled"). So I just couldn't picture how, after I invested hours getting all my forms and categories setup, I would filter down to a very specific list of tasks for my own custom hotlist (the built-in hotlist is date-based, and a lot of my tasks have no Due Dates).

I also heard complaints of unreliability from some users. Did not experience them myself.

Of course, YMMV.
Salgud

Posted May 26, 2015 in: When do you consult your list?
  • Salgud
First thing every morning, a hundred times during the day! :)
Salgud

Posted May 26, 2015 in: Salesmen?
  • Salgud
As much as I'm a fan of TD, in this case, my experience is that for tracking sales activities, Sales Tracking software is much superior. That's what it is designed to do. While I could spend considerable time customizing TD to to this up to a point, Sales Management software would require little if any setup time beyond getting some fields setup and so forth, and would also automate many of the processes that would have to be done manually in TD.

Best of luck whichever way you go.
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: May 06, 2015
You'll find them both under "Status"
Salgud

Posted May 06, 2015 in: Additional labels to 'View by'?
  • Salgud
  • Posted: May 06, 2015
Posted by evholten:
Is there a way to put additional labels to 'View by'? I have some categories that I'd like to sort at, but i'd rather not to use Tags for that, as Tags are wider and would cloud and ravel the View.

Have you considered Saved Searches to do that? They are very powerful and not to hard to implement. I rarely leave my Saved Searches page because I have almost all of the searches I regularly use there.
Salgud

Posted Apr 28, 2015 in: in a list, how to remove a field
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Apr 28, 2015
You click on the down-arrow at the top right of the column, click on Edit Column, then click on Delete at the bottom of the menu.
Salgud

Posted Apr 28, 2015 in: Exporting only a portion of the data
  • Salgud
"No" means you can't do that in TD at present. And this is the right place to ask.
Salgud

• Salgud
It depends on whether or not they have a unique common denominator, like they are all in the same folder, and there are no other tasks in that folder. Or Context. Or any other attribute. If so, create a Saved Search for that common denominator and MultiEdit their Priority.

If not, it's a bit more complicated. If you don't already use Stars, you can Star them and search on that, then multiedit. If you're already using Stars, it get's challenging. If there are 20 of these new tasks, and 24 in the same Folder, you can multiedit them all, then change the 4 back to their correct Priority, remembering to note what they were at the start. Sometimes we have to get creative here.

Best of luck.
Salgud

Score: 2
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Apr 27, 2015
  • Score: 2
Go to the Settings page, Fields Used, and turn-on Lenght. Go back to your task list, and put in estimated times in min, hrs or days. Then go the the Scheduler (under Organize), make the appropriate selections there.
Salgud

Posted Apr 23, 2015 in: Completed tasks
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Apr 23, 2015
Go to the Search page, click on "New Search", over to the top left, change the first default criteria "checked Off" = no to yes, than add any other criteria you desire, then click Search.
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Apr 23, 2015
Click on the x in the upper right corner.
Salgud

Posted Apr 22, 2015 in: Basic needs not addressed in any apps
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Apr 22, 2015
I haven't tried PI, because I've heard mixed reviews, some concerning stability. I've been using software since it was invented, and if there's a problem I avoid at all costs, it's instability. If you've had good luck with it, other than speed, maybe I should give it a more serious look. Haven't tried PlanB either, so maybe there's something there.

It's unfortunate that no one I know of has completely integrated tasks, appointments, notes and contacts into one app. Not since my Palm days have I had such an app. It seems like a no-brainer, but certainly haven't found it. At one point, a few years ago, I hoped maybe TD would go this route, but they've gone in an entirely different direction now.
Salgud

Posted Apr 20, 2015 in: How do I delete a task folder name?
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Apr 20, 2015
It's under Organize (top right), Folders, Remove (over to the right)
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Apr 13, 2015
Check out Optional Due Dates in the Help section.
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Apr 13, 2015
I think that there are some conflicts going on between UTD, which I'm not familiar with, and TD here. You probably need to contact the UTD people to get some help. It seems to me that no matter what app you're using, setting subtasks to "Hidden" while you're tying to view subtasks will cause a conflict somewhere. I do use Start Dates in TD, and don't have the problems you're describing.

Best of luck.

This message was edited Apr 13, 2015.
Salgud

Posted Apr 02, 2015 in: TD Review at Blinklist
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Apr 02, 2015
I stumbled across a TD review at http://blinklist.com/reviews/toodledo

I added the following:

I've been using TD for over 4 years now, and I don't see it as "stuck" at all. For those of us who want a very powerful task manager without the headaches of MS Project (I used to teach and consult on it) or the like, it's perfect. Highly customizable, very flexible and well-supported. Yes, like every other task manager I've ever used, it could use some additional features, like task dependencies, but it already has more than most of it's competitors. As to the UI, it's currently getting a much-needed facelift, and will be "pretty" soon. I've looked for a better task manager, but haven't found one yet.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81      Next